Lifeboat Drill

howard6933

I would hope that to be true, not many things that would sink a cruise ship quickly but the real danger is fire which could make it necassary to get off the ship much quicker.
One of the recent examples on a big ship was exactly that: a major fire. And there was still plenty of time to get people to put on their lifejackets properly. After all, it only takes a few minutes to show you.

I have sailed on Princess, Carnival, and NCL and we met in a lounge or showroom. ...

I prefer how HAL does muster drills, i.e., meeting at your lifeboat. I'll remember better where I'm supposed to go if I've been there before.

If your drill was in a lounge, showroom or dining room, that is where you're supposed to go in an emergency. That is where your muster station is, not the lifeboat.

Some have civilized proceedures where passengers gather inndoors in lounges; others make passengers stand outside, lined up like prisioners, regardless of the weather conditrions. It is obvious that the specific proceedures aren't government mandated, but why can't they get their acts together? :confused:

I have found those "civilized" drills to be very social - that is people seem to pay less attention and chat more amongst themselves. Lined up by your lifeboat outside ("like prisioners" :rolleyes: ) it appears that people pay a bit more attention and may be made a bit more aware of the seriousness of the drill.

Lucky for you! Holland America is still a "women and children in front" cruise line, so you will be safe (?) near the bulkhead. I never have figured out why they say this since there are more than enough life boats for all. . .

Not that I mind being in front (unless pictures are taken), but with men generally taller I think they do that so they can see everyone... and can you imagine how long it would take if they tried to line us up by height?

If your drill was in a lounge, showroom or dining room, that is where you're supposed to go in an emergency. That is where your muster station is, not the lifeboat.

Exactly. Seabourn has its drill in the MDR and one of the advantages of this cruiseline is that all pax can be accomodated there at one time with a table seat for each pax. There are signs for each lifeboat group, so these groups sit together in the area of the dining room they would go to in an emergency and then be led to their lifeboat station.

Couldn't be more civilized and orderly.

I started this thread and now maybe I can finish it. :rolleyes: We have been on 56 cruises starting in 1978, so we have also had plenty of experience with lifeboat drills.

I really believe that meeting in a lounge or theater is the way to go. If you are assigned a lifeboat number out on the deck, what would happen if the problem or the damages are on the side of the ship where your lifeboat is located? Where do you go then? :confused:

If you meet in a lounge, they can direct you to a tender or lifeboat at that time. And putting on your life jacket only takes a minute or two. Anyway, here's hoping we never have use of the life jacket OR the lifeboat. ;)

I have not missed wearing the life jackets to the drills. I found most of them stinky with stale sweat and started bringing disinfectant wipes to clean them off around the neck before wearing them. Of course, in an actual disaster, that wouldn't matter.;)

On two occasions, on two different ships, I witnessed people falling down steps when tripping on the vest strings. I'm sure that's why they stopped having people wear them to the drill. IIRC Eurofdam had vests that buckled instead of tiing.

Glad to hear that, makes sense as the old ones were a pretty old design. I have owned many boats and never had or had even seen a place to buy one with tie strings.

Kirk

I really believe that meeting in a lounge or theater is the way to go. If you are assigned a lifeboat number out on the deck, what would happen if the problem or the damages are on the side of the ship where your lifeboat is located? Where do you go then? :confused:

What if your lounge or theater was damaged/on fire? Where would you go? ;)

If you meet in a lounge, they can direct you to a tender or lifeboat at that time.

I am not totally against indoor muster stations BTW. :)

Archived