Regatta - Tapas on the Terrace

Louby-Lou

We're just back from 27 days on Regatta where the 'Tapas on the Terrace' never made an appearance :mad:. The food and beverage staff had a Q & A session and when asked what had happened to it the Manager (like a politician) never gave a satisfactory answer other than it wasn't being done! He did say that there would be one BBQ but I didn't see it. In the evening the Terrace Cafe was just a regular buffet. We were so looking forward to it.

Lou

I am not sure what you were expecting :confused:

They do have "small bites" at the buffet as you enter the buffet line

Get your plate take outside (weather permitting)

I have never seen a BBQ on Oceania but we could have missed it

According to reviews we understood that food was cooked to order - not just a regular buffet. Previous cruisers on Regatta were expecting more hence the question to the Food and Beverage Manager.

The only cooked to order for dinner in the buffet that I am aware of is the pasta station

You must had read reviews on the Marina as suggest by TKS

No wonder the restaurant manager was confused by your question

Try the Marina or Riveria the The Terrace is exceptional

The only cooked to order for dinner in the buffet that I am aware of is the pasta station

You must had read reviews on the Marina as suggest by TKS

No wonder the restaurant manager was confused by your question

Try the Marina or Riveria the The Terrace is exceptional

It wasn't my question to the F & B Manager, it was from a passenger who had cruised Regatta before. The manager wasn't confused by the question he replied that the tapas wouldn't be provided but wouldn't say why. Other passengers were expecting the service as well.

I didn't read any Marina reviews.

It wasn't my question to the F & B Manager, it was from a passenger who had cruised Regatta before. The manager wasn't confused by the question he replied that the tapas wouldn't be provided but wouldn't say why. Other passengers were expecting the service as well.

Ok then I am confused

They always had small tapas type foods at the beginning of the line in the evenings

Maybe that has changed since last summer

Lyn

I have just come back from the 27 day Amazon cruise on Regatta.

Tapas are snack food and there was plenty of it during High Tea and in the evening as well. In addition, the evening buffet had a pasta made-to- order station, a wok station, a sushi station and a meat station. Did you see the suckling pig?

One night, the French chef cooked fresh fish to order and the Italian sous-chef made fresh pasta while we were watching.

Now, I have to go on a diet before the next cruise.

"Tapas On the Terrace" is the name of the restaurant at dinner time. It's called the Terrace Buffet at breakfast and lunch. The "terrace" includes the al fresco dining and the inside tables.

Tapas are small appetizer-type snacks. They may be cold or hot. Every night, as you enter the buffet, there is a decent selection of these bite-size snacks, in addition to the regular offerings of the buffet. You may have seen them, and even tried some of them, without being aware they were the tapas.

Entrees cooked to order are features of Oceania's sister cruise line, the luxury line Regent Seven Seas, but on just two of their three ships (Mariner and Voyager), not Navigator as it is smaller and the kitchen is not equipped for "cook to order". Oceania Marina does have a grill where several items are cooked fresh in front of you, but the closest thing that any Oceania ship has to "cook to order" is the pasta station -- and even that is limited to the ingredients they put out on any given evening.

You seem to have raised two separate issues, Tapas on the Terrace and Cook to Order. I suggest your friend s who mentioned the Cook to Order were either thinking of Regent or simply confused. As for the tapas, I'm sorry you didn't realize what they were, and I can't begin to fathom the answer given you. By the way, BBQ's on the pool deck are a regular feature of Regent, not Oceania.

"Tapas On the Terrace" is the name of the restaurant at dinner time. It's called the Terrace Buffet at breakfast and lunch. The "terrace" includes the al fresco dining and the inside tables.

Tapas are small appetizer-type snacks. They may be cold or hot.

Perhaps the poster was expecting typical Spanish Tapas - such as those served in Tapas bars in Spain?

I think the term here is used more loosely, as Don indicated, to mean small hot or cold appetizers (though some may actually be Spanish Tapas on occasion, but not regularly).

• 2 weeks later...

We have found the Terrace Café buffet to be the best organized with the best staff of any of the ships on which we have sailed. The most impressive thing is that the staff always serve you and in fact discourage passengers from serving themselves. Thus, a neat, not messy dining area.

Don

We have found the Terrace Café buffet to be the best organized with the best staff of any of the ships on which we have sailed. The most impressive thing is that the staff always serve you and in fact discourage passengers from serving themselves. Thus, a neat, not messy dining area.

Don

And in doing so they reduce the chances of the Noro virus as well as other possible illnesses. A buffet served by staff rather than each passenger serving themselves is the only one we go to, we can always ask for more of something if needed. And, yes, as Don said, cleaner and neater too.

Terrace Cafe looks messy at all times...never enough staff and this shows on the buffet...:confused:

...it's very easy, via the wonders of the internet to come on a board like CC and post comments like this, I doubt there's a shred of truth or any actual experience to back this comment. We were just on the Insignia and ate well over half of our meals in the Terrace Cafe, it was NEVER messy at any time, there were staff always ready to serve you, and the buffet always looked great, the selection was very diverse and the quality was excellent...

cheers,

the Imagineer

...it's very easy, via the wonders of the internet to come on a board like CC and post comments like this, I doubt there's a shred of truth or any actual experience to back this comment. We were just on the Insignia and ate well over half of our meals in the Terrace Cafe, it was NEVER messy at any time, there were staff always ready to serve you, and the buffet always looked great, the selection was very diverse and the quality was excellent...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Yes, and this LuLu Power. who posted that comment, joined Cruise Critic TODAY :cool:

Doesn't say which cruise she was on-

Doesn't say which Ship she was on-

Something is off

Yes, and this LuLu Power. who posted that comment, joined Cruise Critic TODAY :cool:

Doesn't say which cruise she was on-

Doesn't say which Ship she was on-

Something is off

Wonder why this troll has it in for O. She's posted this on a roll call:

Disaster ship!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcsmith46

I just booked this Rio to Buenos Aires. This is my Oceania cruise.. Great price with the airfare..any advice.

Well, good luck! Insignia is a disaster ship! Crew are very mean and disappointed. Enjoy anyway...

Returning to the topic of this thread, i.e. "Regatta—Tapas on the Terrace", the original post stated that it was not being done, that it "never made an appearance." Depending on how that statement was meant, there may be some truth to it.

Towards the end of of our August 26, 2011 cruise to Alaska on Regatta we decided to have dinner for the first time at "Tapas on the Terrace" and one of the managers told us that the name had been changed to "Terrace Café in the Evening." We didn't stay to have dinner there that night (only dined there a couple of times, and only during the day), and I don't know whether the name change (and/or concept change) was only temporary or whether there is no longer any "Tapas on the Terrace."

What is the experience of Regatta cruisers recently (after the Alaska season)?

It appears that the Tapas idea is being abandoned, as it is no longer mentioned on the Oceania Web Site, or in any of the current literature.

This quote is from the 2011-2012 Winter Collection brochure:

"Informal and carefree, The Terrace Cafe is wonderfully inviting any time of day. First thing in the morning, the room is infused with natural sunlight from the floor to ceiling windows, stimulating the appetite for the sumptuous breakfast selections. Come lunch, the expansive menu of international dishes changes entirely, beautifully complimented by flavorful roasted and rotisserie meats, and the magic of the pizzeria's oven. Feel Free to dine inside or alfresco at one of the shaded teak tables on the terrace. Evenings, the impeccably clad wait staff shines, and the cuisine takes on a local flair. Tomorrow, an entirely different series of menus awaits tthe opportunity to delight you."

Archived