Rhine, Danube Water Levels - Are Cruise Lines Sharing Info?

editor@cruisecritic

Well, today is Friday and I've made three calls to the Customer Service Rep who authored the "here's your coupon for another fun cruise with us". However, Viking Cruise apparantly monitors the website. They posted a message asking that I contact them. Stay tuned. I'm happy to share our situation if it helps save another couple shelling out $6K for a bus trip along the scenic highways. .quote=at_nyc;31510361]YodaMom, expect Viking will fight tooth and nail on the "compensation". They've already got your money, they're doing everything they could not to give it back.

Of course, the longer it take them to come up with a fair compensation, the louder the words of the unsatisfied customer will be, till you get your money back.

Good luck!

Dear Viking Guests,

We know you have questions and we know some of you have complaints. We thank you for your input and assure you that we are listening. The magnitude of this late-season drought was not immediately apparent, but we have made adjustments each day in an effort to continually provide you with our very best. For each of the Danube and Rhine sailings that are effected in December, we are providing shipboard credit, complimentary optional excursions, and credit to use on a future cruise. Should you decide instead to not join us, we will provide you with a credit for 100% of your cruise fare towards a future cruise.

We understand that you want answers about how your itinerary may need to be altered. We will continue to update our future guests via email with additional information as it becomes available. We have also made all of these communications available on our website here: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about/vikingnews.aspx. We will continue to keep this information on our website updated as well.

For those who joined us in November and had their itinerary altered by the low water levels of the rivers, we are working hard to address your concerns and will also be sending you a credit voucher for a future cruise.

And as always, we are happy to hear from you directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Regards,

Viking River Cruises

And, will the complimentary optional excursions be extended retroactively to those passenger who's cruises were affected, whose feed back brought about this new policy?

Will we see credits on our VISA card for those optional tours we had to pay for?

The German cruise company A-Rosa has changed the Rhine river itineraries of two of their ships for the next two weeks (but German river cruise companies just start out with the Christmas market tours).

The good news: It´s raining in Munich and Regensburg although just slightly and there´s more rain in the forecast!

steamboats

:) We just completed th Basel to Amsterdam on the AMAcello. Water levels are low but we made it all the way. We scraped bottom a few times and had to use different docks. The walk uphill to the shore was tough in some places. In spite of it all we enjoyed our week and the Chrisstmas markets. :):)

Dear Viking Guests,

We know you have questions and we know some of you have complaints. We thank you for your input and assure you that we are listening. The magnitude of this late-season drought was not immediately apparent, but we have made adjustments each day in an effort to continually provide you with our very best. For each of the Danube and Rhine sailings that are effected in December, we are providing shipboard credit, complimentary optional excursions, and credit to use on a future cruise. Should you decide instead to not join us, we will provide you with a credit for 100% of your cruise fare towards a future cruise.

We understand that you want answers about how your itinerary may need to be altered. We will continue to update our future guests via email with additional information as it becomes available. We have also made all of these communications available on our website here: http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about/vikingnews.aspx. We will continue to keep this information on our website updated as well.

For those who joined us in November and had their itinerary altered by the low water levels of the rivers, we are working hard to address your concerns and will also be sending you a credit voucher for a future cruise.

And as always, we are happy to hear from you directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Regards,

Viking River Cruises

Were these letters on your website emailed to upcoming guests? If so, I never got one. It's good I stumbled across it on CC. I will be boarding Viking Pride tomorrow in Passau and sailing to Budapest. I NEVER even considered cancelling, however, having the feeling of being updated and informed by Viking would have been nice.

I DO believe Viking is doing all they can to have the cruise sail as scheduled. No one can predict the weather a week ahead and I understand the water levels can change quickly so there would be no point in advising people of a DEFINITE situation when it's still an unknown. I, personally, would have appreciated the communication instead of me HAVING to hunt for it myself on these boards.

In any event, I'm excited to take my first river cruise and will make the best of whatever happens. The Christmas markets are the highlight for me - no matter what the mode of transportation is the markets are the same.

Just a few questions...can they cancel now without knowing what the water levels will be? Will you help recover independent airfare cancellation fees? Do you offer the rebate without regard to whether they purchased travel insurance?

We will be sailing with Viking next year and DID purchase travel insurance. Although expensive we decided it was worth it to protect our investment as we know that there are always unforeseen circumstances beyond either our control or Viking's. I would find it troubling should Viking provide all the benefits of having travel insurance to those that did not purchase it.

I would find it troubling should Viking provide all the benefits of having travel insurance to those that did not purchase it.

They shouldn't. They should make those cheapscapes take the cruise as scheduled, be unhappy and spread that gloomy atmosphere on the ship you're cruising on.:p

Then, they had to compensate them after the fact.

With travel insurance, you can cancel and get all your money back. And you can re-book with ANY cruise line with that money in the future, any time.

Those without insurance will be limited to using that credit on Viking only (typically within a year).

But you'd prefer Viking stuff those unhappy customer on your ship because they didn't buy insurance? ;)

We will be sailing with Viking next year and DID purchase travel insurance. Although expensive we decided it was worth it to protect our investment as we know that there are always unforeseen circumstances beyond either our control or Viking's. I would find it troubling should Viking provide all the benefits of having travel insurance to those that did not purchase it.

Insurance is for more than just trip cancellation. It also covers trip interruption, medical problems, lost luggage, etc. IMHO, travel insurance is essential.

They shouldn't. They should make those cheapscapes take the cruise as scheduled, be unhappy and spread that gloomy atmosphere on the ship you're cruising on.:p

Then, they had to compensate them after the fact.

With travel insurance, you can cancel and get all your money back. And you can re-book with ANY cruise line with that money in the future, any time.

Those without insurance will be limited to using that credit on Viking only (typically within a year).

But you'd prefer Viking stuff those unhappy customer on your ship because they didn't buy insurance? ;)

No, they should do what they feel best for their customers and their own on-going business. However, for me, if I don't buy travel insurance, my expectation levels are adjusted accordingly should unplanned events occur.

Insurance is for more than just trip cancellation. It also covers trip interruption, medical problems, lost luggage, etc. IMHO, travel insurance is essential.

And not just medical problems for the travelers, but if a family member NOT traveling becomes ill too.

Travel insurance is one of those typical insurances that you hope never HAVING to use but the best it brings is peace of mind. Def. worth the $$, unless you've got the money to lose, just in case...

Archived