Rhine, Danube Water Levels - Are Cruise Lines Sharing Info?

editor@cruisecritic

Dear Viking Guests,

If you have recently returned from a cruise and are disappointed with how it was affected by the river levels, please first accept our apologies and then contact us directly so that we may discuss your concerns with your personally.

With warm regards and best wishes for a happy holiday season,

Viking River Cruises

Well, let's just say i'm waiting to here what you will do to compensate for spending three nights in a hotel, bus rides, bad food, etc. etc. and the first email was not inspiring. Had the best time on the boat, but once we left it, down hill from there.

We had a problem on our Viking Russia trip which is noted elsewhere on the board. I contacted them as they suggested and after a few back and forth emails and a phone call or two, we were given a very generous vocher toward another trip. Initially V said it had to be used by the end 0f 2011, but since we were already committed tripwise for 2011, they extended it til the end of 2012. So we are using it to go to China next Oct. We need to be active consumers and kept calling and emailing til we get answers to our satisfaction. Hopefully all this will be settled to your satisfaction. Pat

We had a problem on our Viking Russia trip which is noted elsewhere on the board. I contacted them as they suggested and after a few back and forth emails and a phone call or two, we were given a very generous vocher toward another trip. Initially V said it had to be used by the end 0f 2011, but since we were already committed tripwise for 2011, they extended it til the end of 2012. So we are using it to go to China next Oct. We need to be active consumers and kept calling and emailing til we get answers to our satisfaction. Hopefully all this will be settled to your satisfaction. Pat

That's what I'm hoping for Pat. I really did enjoy my viking experience on the boat and wouldn't offer any negative comments on those first 4 nights. I would also throw HUGE kuddos to the cruise director Renae and his staff as they truly busted their humps to make the trip enjoyable despite the issues. But what I paid for and what I got on those last three nights are a very large negative that I'm hoping Viking can correct.

Just received voice and e-mail notification that the Amalergo will not make it to Budapest fpor our 2 Dec trip. We will meet at the Sofotel Budapest at 1, 3, 5 or 7 pm to be bussed out to Komarom to the boat. So no hotel in Buda--too bad because it means a 1 hr ride back the next day to market. But , we know in advance. Pat

There´s some hope!! The forecast this morning on our radio was speaking about snow in the mountains for the weekend and some longer lasting rain in the low lands starting on Monday... It´s still a long term forecast but at least it´s some hope!!

steamboats

Here I sit looking out at the snow!!!! In a few hours we leave for the airport to head to Budapest for our AMA trip. Looking at the long range forecast, rain starts after we leave Budapest. Glad we packed those rain pants from our Anartic trip. Looks like about a week of rain/snow forecast. AMA is optimistic that once we get on the boat in Koramom that the boat will make it to Nurnberg. Will try to post river conditions along the way, but can't promise--after all, there is all that glugwein to taste. Pat

Hi Pat, Safe travels and happy times on your river cruise. We're going on the Rhine with Avalon a year away, but have been lurking on your roll call to pick up tips! Looking forward to your trip report.

Karen

Here I sit looking out at the snow!!!! In a few hours we leave for the airport to head to Budapest for our AMA trip. Looking at the long range forecast, rain starts after we leave Budapest. Glad we packed those rain pants from our Anartic trip. Looks like about a week of rain/snow forecast. AMA is optimistic that once we get on the boat in Koramom that the boat will make it to Nurnberg. Will try to post river conditions along the way, but can't promise--after all, there is all that glugwein to taste. Pat

Blingbling, love your screen name. Thanks for the kind words. You just have to watch weather about a month out and then stay in touch with cruise line.

Suspaul, ah the wursts!! we really don't plan to eat many meals on the Amalegro--each markets wursts are different.

Pat

Have a great trip!! If you have not yet seen Budapest illuminated at night, it is just breathtaking! If you eat any meals in Budapest, try Cafe Kor, the best Schnitzel we had ever!!The Christmas markets were setting up in Budapest when we were there and they were hanging the lights on the Christmas tree, hope for rain or snow and you get to enjoy your river cruise. Happy Holidays ;)

There has been a lot of talk about the policies of Viking and Tauck, does anyone have any experience with Uniworld on this matter of low water, bussing and compensation? Thanks so much.

Judy

Last year we were on Uniworld Nuremberg-Vienna and were unable to continue past Regensberg on the Danube due to HIGH water! Uniworld worked very hard to maintain the itinerary. We spent an extra night on board the ship in Regensberg. (For us, this was not a bad thing) Uniworld provided bus transport to Passau (sp) for those who wished to see that city. Then when the river was still too high, they provided bus transport through Linz, Austria to Vienna.

We were put up in a 5 star hotel in central Vienna for 3 nights; (actually a much better location than the normal docking spot for river cruises) provided with meals and scheduled tours and generally "taken care of". Once this problem started, all the optional tours (admittedly few) were provided free of charge.

We also recieved a letter offering us $250 per person credit for a future cruise. The credit was good for 2 years.

Result, we are on another Uniworld cruise leaving 7 Dec.

We felt the line did everything possible to maintain the level of service. Yes we had some "bus time", but all in all we were very satified and remain devoted Uniworld clients.

Judy

Last year we were on Uniworld Nuremberg-Vienna and were unable to continue past Regensberg on the Danube due to HIGH water! Uniworld worked very hard to maintain the itinerary. We spent an extra night on board the ship in Regensberg. (For us, this was not a bad thing) Uniworld provided bus transport to Passau (sp) for those who wished to see that city. Then when the river was still too high, they provided bus transport through Linz, Austria to Vienna.

We were put up in a 5 star hotel in central Vienna for 3 nights; (actually a much better location than the normal docking spot for river cruises) provided with meals and scheduled tours and generally "taken care of". Once this problem started, all the optional tours (admittedly few) were provided free of charge.

We also recieved a letter offering us $250 per person credit for a future cruise. The credit was good for 2 years.

Result, we are on another Uniworld cruise leaving 7 Dec.

We felt the line did everything possible to maintain the level of service. Yes we had some "bus time", but all in all we were very satified and remain devoted Uniworld clients.

Sounds like Uniworld handled your situation in the most professional manner possible under the circumstances and hence you are a satisfied customer and a returning passenger to their Cruiseline. Good Customer Service is all so Important!! Hope you have a great trip :)

We just returned from a Viking River Cruise starting in Amstredam andsupposedly ending in Basel, Switzerland. What really concerns me is that we were not told about the river level. It is a historical low and not navigable for many type of ships - including Viking River Cruise ships. They knew this. They interrupted a previous trip. My trip was November 12 through November 20th. We were only on the ship three stops, if you want to count embarking in Amstradam. We unloaded, suitcases sitting on the sidewalk in Koblenz. It was buses from that point all the way up to Basel. It was dull, miserable, nothing like the brochures claimed. AND, to add insult to this corporate rip-off. Viking has had the audacity to mail a letter dated November 22nd offering a 25% discount on a future cruise!??? No refund for the bus trip, lack of balanced meals, shore excursions that weren't delivered. They pocked my $4,111.00 for full payment! They misrepresent a river cruise that they are fully aware will not happen.

We're concerned about the impact of the low levels on the Rhine and the Danube on Xmas markets cruises and so hope those of you out on cruises will keep us posted about how it's going. In the meantime, here's a story on what's happening that was launched yesterday on Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4665

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We just returned from a Viking River Cruise starting in Amstredam andsupposedly ending in Basel, Switzerland. What really concerns me is that we were not told about the river level. It is a historical low and not navigable for many type of ships - including Viking River Cruise ships. They knew this. They interrupted a previous trip. My trip was November 12 through November 20th. We were only on the ship three stops, if you want to count embarking in Amstradam. We unloaded, suitcases sitting on the sidewalk in Koblenz. It was buses from that point all the way up to Basel. It was dull, miserable, nothing like the brochures claimed. AND, to add insult to this corporate rip-off. Viking has had the audacity to mail a letter dated November 22nd offering a 25% discount on a future cruise!??? No refund for the bus trip, lack of balanced meals, shore excursions that weren't delivered. They pocked my $4,111.00 for full payment! They misrepresent a river cruise that they are fully aware will not happen.

So sorry that you have been treated so shabbily by Viking. It's one thing to have water level problems and other "acts of Nature" disrupt your trip but how a company handles it can make or break it. Sounds like Viking gets a big thumbs down. Seems like many of the other tour companies are dealing with this situation with better customer satisfaction.

Would be interested in knowing how Vantage is handling the situation as well.

Here is the latest from Tauck from their Facebook page:

"The Danube and the Rhine are continuing to experience low water levels. Rain is in the forecast for later this week, however, and we are hoping to operate our Christmas market cruises as planned. That said, we are also ready and able to make modifications should the need arise. Exactly what form those arrangements might take is essentially a “game-day decision” that would be based on river conditions as they exist at the time of each cruise. Unfortunately, and given the changeable nature of the situation in Europe, that’s as specific as we can be at the moment. Thanks for your patience and understanding."

Hi all,

Susan here aboard the Amalegro docked in Cormoran, Hungary. Sorry I have not been able to post sooner but the Internet has been unavailable everytime I wanted to use it (including while docked in Vienna), I would get on and get thrown off.

Anyway, I wanted to report that the captain told us on Wed. that we would not be able to sail into Budapest due to the low water. While sailing last night from Vienna to here at 3:30am the ship scraped bottom but was able to continue to our mooring. I believe they are quite worried that they will not be able to get back. They were also saying they may only be able to make it as far as Regensburg for the next cruise and not to Nuremburg, but again that has not been determined.

While it has not rained at all here, it is very foggy every day until late morning. There may be a little rain in the forecast in the next couple of days but probably not enough to raise the river.

AMA bussed us in today to Budapest at 9:00am, arrived 10:30am and left the city at 4:30pm and arrived back at the ship at 6:00pm. AMA gave every person $20 euro to use for lunch, which I thought was quite generous.

Overall the cruise was great, the weather could have been better but those are the chances that you take when you travel in winter.

When I get some time after my return home, I will post a full review.

Good luck to all those sailing in the next few weeks, you're going to need it. And while noone wants it to rain on their vacation, I hope for all that they get the rain they need to raise these rivers.

Regards,

Susan

Dear YodaMom,

We’re truly sorry to hear of how disappointed you are with how your trip was effected by low water levels. We would greatly appreciate an opportunity to personally discuss these concerns with you and ask that you contact us at your earliest convenience at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Very kindly,

Viking River Cruises

Dear YodaMom,

We’re truly sorry to hear of how disappointed you are with how your trip was effected by low water levels. We would greatly appreciate an opportunity to personally discuss these concerns with you and ask that you contact us at your earliest convenience at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Very kindly,

Viking River Cruises

Please keep us posted on how things turned out with Viking customer service. Booked in summer on Viking and getting nervous!!!

YodaMom, expect Viking will fight tooth and nail on the "compensation". They've already got your money, they're doing everything they could not to give it back.

Of course, the longer it take them to come up with a fair compensation, the louder the words of the unsatisfied customer will be, till you get your money back.

Good luck!

Archived