Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

That rather depends on who we are replaced by....a few years back a constant refrain on these boards was 'the difference with Cunard is who you meet onboard...' Not something I am reading so much these days....

Exactly....But I guess that is Cunards choice...We are not thrilled by Cunards policy to not offend anyone...inlcuding really badly dressed teens in KC eating with their fingers straight from the buffet. The service staff apparently don't have any guidlines for that. I complained once...that was recieved as if I was expecting special treatment. I would never, ever complain about that again. I'm guessing Cunard will replace us with other like minded people who will have the same complaints as we do. :D

I found the "new designs" very interesting. Obviously for the very rich only. Once again. :)

Personally, I also agree with some...the new carpet is not going to make much difference in the cabin one way or another. Provided you are not in a major suite where you actually see the carpet. We travel in the balcony cabins and you do not have much opportunity to actually observe the carpet because it is occupied by beds and a cocktail table.

On our August TA's, Cunard had replaced the favorite video slot machines for newer versions of Penny slots. The change was not received well on that cruise but I'm guessing that that disappointment will go by the wayside the same as all other changes. Those that really don't like the changes will move on....those that still like Cunard for what it represents will keep booking. And Cunard will always attract new passengers...and the loyal passengers who have sailed Cunard...because they loved Cunard..will move on. Cunard will not miss us.

Far as I'm concerned carpets are for walking on and they keep your feet warmer than the newspaper-on-linoleum floor covering I was brought up with. I really couldn't care less what they look like as long as they aren't flaming tartan :D

J

Far as I'm concerned carpets are for walking on and they keep your feet warmer than the newspaper-on-linoleum floor covering I was brought up with. I really couldn't care less what they look like as long as they aren't flaming tartan :D

J

Wow, you had linoleum AND newspaper?

Did you have to heap coats on the beds during the winter to keep warm? I think this goes alongside the paper/linoleum and also of course scrapping the ice from the inside of the windows.

ps - I am looking at quite a bit of snow and hoping the airports (Edinburgh) in particular have the snow ploughs at the ready as I am boarding QM2 on Thursday.

J

And there you go. Me too. :) We are good to go. I'm so looking forward to our Chistmas trip.. Happy Christmas to you/

Did you have to heap coats on the beds during the winter to keep warm? I think this goes alongside the paper/linoleum and also of course scrapping the ice from the inside of the windows.

ps - I am looking at quite a bit of snow and hoping the airports (Edinburgh) in particular have the snow ploughs at the ready as I am boarding QM2 on Thursday.

Hi Norine, sorry about the snow!

You mentioned scrapping the ice from inside the window, which reminded me of my first apartment as a young woman: the first winter there, I scraped the ice, and in doing so removed the putty from the old window seal - and the frozen moisture crept in, making it all the worse.

In a couple of weeks, I will be on QM2 to the Caribbean, and for 15 days those memories of a freezing Decemember years ago will melt away.

I hope you have a wonderful voyage too and a very happy Christmas.

Safe journey to the ship,

Salacia

I'm guessing we didn't have to heap coats on the beds during the winter to keep warm. I'm also guessing that if you had to do that......you wouldn't be boarding the QM2. I could be wrong.

Being at the Hamburg Landungsbrücken to watch QM2 leaving the dry dock I was told that the leaving was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. There's a strong wind now and sometimes it's snowing. The next window for leaving the dock is around midnight because of the tides.

I don't think I will be there, because I'm living 130 km away from Hamburg.

I don't think it will be a problem for QM2 arriving Southampton in time for the next voyage. I will post some photos later when I will be home.

Frank

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.545914,9.964933

Being at the Hamburg Landungsbrücken to watch QM2 leaving the dry dock I was told that the leaving was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. There's a strong wind now and sometimes it's snowing. The next window for leaving the dock is around midnight because of the tides.

I don't think I will be there, because I'm living 130 km away from Hamburg.

I don't think it will be a problem for QM2 arriving Southampton in time for the next voyage. I will post some photos later when I will be home.

Frank

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.545914,9.964933

Keep us informed if you can, hope we get to meet up again some day, maybe another cabin crawl:)

That rather depends on who we are replaced by....a few years back a constant refrain on these boards was 'the difference with Cunard is who you meet onboard...' Not something I am reading so much these days....

And it's not as good as the QE2....et al.

I do feel sorry for some regular posters on here. Unhappiness, when cruising, will be their constant companion, as no ship will ever be as good as the QE2. Making things worse, it turns out that even the current crop of passengers isn't up to snuff.

web.jpg?ver=13230859570001

the picures of the cabins new soft furnishings and carpet as shown in the new "I am Cunard" look lovely

They look even nicer in the real world ! the photos of the new soft furnishings ( page 5 of the Cunader magazine and reproduced here on our site) are only computer generated. These are not actual photographs of the finished refit and therefore don't give the full impact of the hues/colours and tones or the quality of the fabric/weave materials that have been put together in the complete make over.

Bell Boy:)

As I've said before "It'll all look right on the night" !

Hi,

QM2 is now scheduled to leave the drydock around midnight local time. If I'm not too tired I will look at two webcams if QM2 really leaves Hamburg.

1. http://www.capsandiego.de/CSD_WebCam.html

2. http://www.corporate-planning.com/d/pages/cam/hafenhamburg.php

There are some pictures I did today morning when QM2 was scheduled to leave:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fgrosse/QM2AtBlohmVoss

Frank

Hi,

QM2 is now scheduled to leave the drydock around midnight local time. If I'm not too tired I will look at two webcams if QM2 really leaves Hamburg.

1. http://www.capsandiego.de/CSD_WebCam.html

2. http://www.corporate-planning.com/d/pages/cam/hafenhamburg.php

There are some pictures I did today morning when QM2 was scheduled to leave:

https://picasaweb.google.com/fgrosse/QM2AtBlohmVoss

Frank

do me a favor and help out at the dock and get that boat out. i am supposed to board it on the 19 in NY....thanks....it is in the water floating right?

Archived