Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Hi Salacia,

It was a category A1, cabin 8031. It was a great cabin because it had a bit more interior space than the average balcony cabin plus a larger balcony. I highly recommend it.

Ernie

Thanks eroller.I appreciate your recommendation. It does look like a very pleasant cabin. :) Regards, Salacia

The QV cabin looks lovely, very comfy and yet elegant. One comment regarding the bedding in QM2, there is now no top bed cover which means that the duvet cover is always on show. This is very pretty, white with gold and two pillows to match as you will have seen in photos, however the cover for obvious reasons becomes very crushed with use and loses its "look" very quickly. I was also surprised at the standard of this cover, it is in my opinion pretty inexpensive and we are both of the opinion that the covers had had previous use, also our bottom sheet had a bad tear in it. I would have presumed that all bedding would have been new and unused on this first voyage.

The QV cabin looks lovely, very comfy and yet elegant. One comment regarding the bedding in QM2, there is now no top bed cover which means that the duvet cover is always on show. This is very pretty, white with gold and two pillows to match as you will have seen in photos, however the cover for obvious reasons becomes very crushed with use and loses its "look" very quickly. I was also surprised at the standard of this cover, it is in my opinion pretty inexpensive and we are both of the opinion that the covers had had previous use, also our bottom sheet had a bad tear in it. I would have presumed that all bedding would have been new and unused on this first voyage.

Can you imagine how grubby the duvet cover will become in a very short time. I think that they look very smart but as you say, the lovely image doesn't last. And imho there are way too many pillows on the bed, 2 big square ones, 2 ordinary ones and the 2 cushions! If you need a lie-down in the afternoon the floor is littered with the things.

Can you imagine how grubby the duvet cover will become in a very short time. I think that they look very smart but as you say, the lovely image doesn't last. And imho there are way too many pillows on the bed, 2 big square ones, 2 ordinary ones and the 2 cushions! If you need a lie-down in the afternoon the floor is littered with the things.

Are you of the opinion that the duvet covers are new? They certainly did not have that newly purchased feel.

This was my cabin on QUEEN VICTORIA. It had a very elegant and soothing feel to it. I especially loved the carpet, something I'm not sure I can say about QM2's new carpet.

Note on QV they still used the bedspreads, and I quite liked them. They were of a very high standard.

Ernie

I agree in both. We have had similar cabins on our QV voyages and enjoyed the bedspreads. Very sad that those on QM2 are gone.

As to the new carpets (both in cabins and Champagne bar), the designers look like they chose the easy way and avoided giving much thought. Wonderful for Carnival (were they intended initially for them perhaps?), but we expected something more special for a Cunard ship.

Mr Shanks was revelling when QE2 departed, because Cunard fleet would now have a high standard of quality throughout. Do these carpets or beds reflect his standard of quality?

I apologize if I appear negative, but I feel QM2 deserved something more special. I think that with spending the same money, they could do much better.

Come on Cunard, you have proved you can make stunning ships. Please, in the next refit make it better!

I love the luxury of lots of pillows and use them for different reasons eg reading etc. The QV stateroom looks wonderful and I love the gold theme with blue statements.

The blue and gold pattern curtains and blue cushions are only in the starboard side cabins of the QV. The curtains are gold and the cushions are red in the port side cabins.

One comment regarding the bedding in QM2, there is now no top bed cover which means that the duvet cover is always on show. This is very pretty, white with gold and two pillows to match as you will have seen in photos, however the cover for obvious reasons becomes very crushed with use and loses its "look" very quickly. I was also surprised at the standard of this cover, it is in my opinion pretty inexpensive and we are both of the opinion that the covers had had previous use, also our bottom sheet had a bad tear in it. I would have presumed that all bedding would have been new and unused on this first voyage.

That is how they are on the QE (below). No bed cover. Maybe it's because they can be washed more often. Bed covers can hold the smell of smoke.

19660_QE_AA_239X161.jpg

That is how they are on the QE (below). No bed cover. Maybe it's because they can be washed more often. Bed covers can hold the smell of smoke.

19660_QE_AA_239X161.jpg

Seems like all cruise lines are going with these white duvets. Most place a little throw at the foot end to add a little color. Not sure how I feel about them. I sort of like the old fashioned bedspread (provided it's a nice one) along with a traditional blanket. I find often times the duvet can get too hot in the middle of the night.

Ernie

Here are a couple examples of beds from recent cruise. The most comfortable and the best sheets were actually on ALLURE OF THE SEAS. The sheets were crisp and new, and even had the Royal Caribbean logo embroidered at the top. Very nice!

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

web.jpg?ver=13209818810001

AZAMARA QUEST

web.jpg?ver=13190787250001

ROTTERDAM

web.jpg?ver=13122529440001

ALLURE OF THE SEAS

web.jpg?ver=12989072670001

WINDSTAR

web.jpg?ver=12522851250001

Thanks for posting all of those rooms. All are a bit different and quite nice. I LOVE the little bedside lamps on the Carnival Miracle - - finishing touches that make a difference, though they might not be good reading lamps. Interesting that, as you said, they all have white duvet covers on them. We have the same thing at home and the cover is basic but with colorful pillows to match the rest of the room, it looks great.

Thanks for posting all of those rooms. All are a bit different and quite nice. I LOVE the little bedside lamps on the Carnival Miracle - - finishing touches that make a difference, though they might not be good reading lamps. Interesting that, as you said, they all have white duvet covers on them. We have the same thing at home and the cover is basic but with colorful pillows to match the rest of the room, it looks great.

Those bedside lamps on Carnival were nice. There was the regular light then a little spot light for reading. It worked quite well.

I think my all time favorite "standard" cabin was on DISNEY WONDER. It was filled with wonderful little Disney touches, and great attention to detail. Things like lights that turned on when you opened the closet doors, fun Disney treats every night at turndown, and even a steamer trunk that when opened was storage shelves. It was also beautifully finished and done to a very high standard. The finish was something I would have expected on Silversea or Seabourn, and there was nothing about the cabin that looked prefab. It was also cool that the bath was split, with a sink and toilet in one room, and a tub and sink in another.

I'm sailing on DISNEY DREAM in late January, so I'll be interested to compare how the new ship stands up.

I've attached a few pics of the DISNEY WONDER cabin. I would love it if Cunard paid such attention to the details.

Ernie

Disney propeller clock and beautiful wood closet doors.

web.jpg?ver=12578800340001

Steamer Trunk.

web.jpg?ver=12578787200001

Bedside Lamp.

web.jpg?ver=12578794110001

Beautiful tiled bathroom (one of two).

web.jpg?ver=12578801230001

Large Dresser.

web.jpg?ver=12578788870001

What a remarkable room with so many details that were obviously well thought out. So much clever storage (with a bit of whimsy in that trunk) and the tile in the bathroom is very nice. I would LOVE to have that propeller clock! What a joy to have basic, low key carpeting that matches the rest of the room. I hope your friend who was trying to catch a nap wasn't disturbed by your photo taking.

What a remarkable room with so many details that were obviously well thought out. So much clever storage (with a bit of whimsy in that trunk) and the tile in the bathroom is very nice. I would LOVE to have that propeller clock! What a joy to have basic, low key carpeting that matches the rest of the room. I hope your friend who was trying to catch a nap wasn't disturbed by your photo taking.

LOL! He can sleep through anything.

The finish in that standard Disney cabin was amazing. It's hard to see, but even the crown molding all along the ceiling gave the cabin such a finished look. Even the tub had wood looking siding to it, and everything matched so nicely and the materials used were all of such a high standard. There were also a ton of "hidden Mickey's" all over the cabin. The Disney touches were not in your face, but actually very subtle.

Honestly this level of finish is more of what I would expect of Cunard, but unfortunately that is not the case. One other thing you won't find on Cunard ... a personal wake up call from Mickey Mouse! LOL

Ernie

I have read about the hidden Mickeys in paintings and other places all over the ships. Sounds like we need to book a Disney ship soon and experience it for ourselves. I have always thought of it as a family cruise with kids but recently have read how very highly rated they are by everyone. I'd love to be awakened by Mickey; a happy way to start the day! FUN chatting with you back and forth. What's next for you?

I have read about the hidden Mickeys in paintings and other places all over the ships. Sounds like we need to book a Disney ship soon and experience it for ourselves. I have always thought of it as a family cruise with kids but recently have read how very highly rated they are by everyone. I'd love to be awakened by Mickey; a happy way to start the day! FUN chatting with you back and forth. What's next for you?

Great chatting with you as well, and obviously you have an eye for detail which really is not so common. Most people seem to overlook the subtle details and for me those are exactly the things that stand out most. Disney has really mastered the art of detail.

My partner and I are fairly big Disney fans. We have annual passes to Disney World and go every few months. Staying at the various Disney resorts is almost as fun as sailing on different cruise ships!

We were quite reluctant to sail on DCL but we finally bit the bullet and did it. The experience was amazing and all the concerns we had about being inundated with children was unwarranted. Disney did such an amazing job of keeping the kids occupied, we actually noticed them less than on some other cruise lines. Mind you we are still careful to sail only during the off season when most kids are in school. The other nice thing about DCL is they have a lot of dedicated areas just for adults, and they truly enforce it. Lounges, bars, restaurants, and even a pool and deck area. Even the private island (Castaway Cay) has a secluded beach just for adults, and honestly it's the very best of the out islands and I've been to them all. The other great thing about DCL is the entertainment. Disney is of course an entertainment company so the shows onboard DCL are unmatched at sea IMO. The are really incredible and the show lounge is gorgeous. Also no one else does fireworks at sea but Disney, and let me tell you it's spectacular. It's incorporated into an entire show on deck where Mickey even comes sliding down from the top of one of the funnels. It's really impressive. I hope you decide to give them a try someday, but be sure to book on the off season when kids are in school. Of course it also helps if you enjoy Disney in general, which it sounds like you do.

Next up for me is QM2 on January 3rd then the DISNEY DREAM on January 26th. Looking forward to both these very different experiences. How about you?

Ernie

ps - living on Oahu have you seen Aulani yet, the new Disney resort?

My, we have really gone off the subject here. But, I appreciate your knowledge of Disney and you have given me the urge to try it. ~ Yes, we have been to Aulani and it's beautiful and it's expensive. If you haven't already, go to http://www.resorts.disney.go.com/aulani It's about a half hour drive from our place.

Next up for us is taking our 3 kids and 2 grandsons on the QM2 out of New York in June and spending some time with them in that great city. We have been on 3 Cunard world cruises, the last one ended in April, and are eyeing the QV's 2013 world as there seem to be a few ports that we haven't been to for once. They do repeat the same route each year when they go west but we really like the outstanding enrichment lecturers that they bring on board for the world cruises as well as all the different people and cultures. You should try it or part of it sometime.

I hope you will post your impressions of the new décor on the QM2 when you are on board in January. Is that a TA? And, where does your Disney Dream cruise go? You are so fortunate to live where so many ships depart from and you have so many choices. I wish we had that opportunity here as we have to fly 2500 miles to the west coast and there really isn't much in the way of cruises there.

My, we have really gone off the subject here. But, I appreciate your knowledge of Disney and you have given me the urge to try it. ~ Yes, we have been to Aulani and it's beautiful and it's expensive. If you haven't already, go to http://www.resorts.disney.go.com/aulani It's about a half hour drive from our place.

Next up for us is taking our 3 kids and 2 grandsons on the QM2 out of New York in June and spending some time with them in that great city. We have been on 3 Cunard world cruises, the last one ended in April, and are eyeing the QV's 2013 world as there seem to be a few ports that we haven't been to for once. They do repeat the same route each year when they go west but we really like the outstanding enrichment lecturers that they bring on board for the world cruises as well as all the different people and cultures. You should try it or part of it sometime.

I hope you will post your impressions of the new décor on the QM2 when you are on board in January. Is that a TA? And, where does your Disney Dream cruise go? You are so fortunate to live where so many ships depart from and you have so many choices. I wish we had that opportunity here as we have to fly 2500 miles to the west coast and there really isn't much in the way of cruises there.

How lucky to have taken 3 Cunard world cruises! I'm so envious. That has always been a dream of mine. Someday perhaps.

I didn't realize you had kids. In that case maybe it's not as important for you to cruise on Disney during the off season. My partner and I don't have kids, and generally don't want to be completely surrounded by them during our vacations. That is one reason we were so apprehensive about sailing on DCL. Kids are never an issue at Disney World because it's so big, but we were concerned being in such a confined environment as a ship. Thankfully it was never an issue, and the kids we did see were so cute and well behaved. On DCL the kids tend to be fairly young, so watching them interact with the characters is a treat. They get so excited and I do too! LOL

The QM2 on January 3rd is a crossing. I love the Winter Crossings and there is a great group of crazy people such as myself that try to sail on a Cunard Winter crossing every December or January. We actually hope for rough weather, but in most cases the Atlantic ends up being a milk pond. Perhaps we will get lucky this year?

The DISNEY DREAM is just a 3-day cruise. Basically the same as we did on DISNEY WONDER. I haven't quite decided if we are ready for a full 7-days on Disney, but if we love the DREAM we might book 7-days on the new DISNEY FANTASY coming out in 2012.

Taking this full circle back to Cunard and the QM2, I'll be interested to see the upgrades first hand. To be 100% honest I'm not overly impressed so far but perhaps in person it will be different. I feel Cunard sort of missed the mark. QM2 is such an amazing ship and I feel she deserves the best, and somehow I don't feel this latest refit reflects the best. I will say the new carpet in the Commodore Club looks superb. I'm a little perplexed though that Cunard focused on areas that I feel were quite fine to begin with. They completely ignored the Winter Garden, King's Court, Boardwalk Cafe, and Todd English which I feel are the areas that require some attention. Go figure!

In any case it's always a pleasure to sail on Cunard and especially the QM2, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Thanks for the link to the Aulani. It doesn't surprise me it's expensive. Typical Disney but people are willing to pay so more power to them. Even though Disney is expensive, I never feel ripped off and always feel like I'm getting my monies worth. I guess other people feel the same way which is why Disney can charge what it does.

Ernie

Our kids are grown and we would aim for a Disney sailing that is during the time when most children are in school for sure. Love children, taught them for years and now ready for more adult fare.

We were on a QE2 winter crossing once and know of the Winter Crossing Club of hearty Cunarders that always book one of those. I used to read all their reports and roll calls when they were doing them but didn't know you were one of them. You used to post on here more often but, now that you are trying new cruise lines, I haven't seen your name come up as often. I agree entirely about the things that you said about the QM2 but I'll have to see in person if it's better than the photos appear, especially the Champagne Bar which has a jillion colors and the dizziest carpet in photos.

I agree with you about having some real rock and roll seas occasionally so you know you are on a ship. Have enjoyed a few QM2 crossings, a couple of times in the Med and the Bay of Biscaye where the ocean has been wild and it's great fun. It's getting past your bedtime back east! Not even dinner time here.

It's getting past your bedtime back east! Not even dinner time here.

Good chatting with you. Although we are on the East Coast sometimes I think we are more on Hawaii time. We tend to eat late, stay up quite late, and are late sleepers.

Enjoy your dinner!

Ernie

This was fun. Great getting to know you. Hope we didn't greatly annoy everyone else that reads this refit thread.

Please do start a thread when you are on the Mary and let us know your opinion. I'll be looking for it and hoping the winter crossing is what you hope it will be! I'm looking online at Disney cruises right now. Thanks. Cheers, Patti

This was fun. Great getting to know you. Hope we didn't greatly annoy everyone else that reads this refit thread.

Please do start a thread when you are on the Mary and let us know your opinion. I'll be looking for it and hoping the winter crossing is what you hope it will be! I'm looking online at Disney cruises right now. Thanks. Cheers, Patti

Thanks Patti and will definitely write a QM2 review and I always take a lot of pictures.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming! LOL

Ernie

LOL here too. You should take one of the Queen Victoria or Disney cruises from LA to Hawaii, if you haven't been here before. Aloha from our islands, Patti

Been to Hawaii many times. When I lived in LA I used to go more often. Now it's so far to fly and it doesn't make as much sense living on the edge of the Caribbean.

I've sailed around Hawaii too. On Princess and Celebrity from the mainland, and once on PRIDE OF AMERICA from Honolulu. All were fantastic cruises in part because Hawaii is such a fantastic destination. I bet you enjoy living there!

Ernie

Are you of the opinion that the duvet covers are new? They certainly did not have that newly purchased feel.

Really? You think the duvet covers have been recycled from some other source? That seems absurd to me. I hope the linens are new.

Kit

Archived