Dining Question

RumpunchGirl

If you have opted for early or late seating in the MDR, could you still use Your Time Dining if you couldn't make your set dining time on a night or two?

No... you have the choice of traditional or your-time dining, and cannot go back & forth between the two.

So how does anytime dining work?

Do they check your card each night, to make sure you have anytime dining?

Do you get the same table/area each night?

Do you get to go at ANY TIME durning dinner? Early one night, late the next, middle the third?

You check in at the hostess stand in the designated anytime dining room, give them your room number(s), and they confirm ATD (this is also how the auto-tips get applied to the correct service staff).

They will seat you. You can sit in the same section with the same servers if you want, or sit wherever they seat you. Very flexible!

You can go anytime between the hours of (I think) 5:45 - 9:30 pm). That's the beauty of it. Go to dinner when you are ready, and when you are hungry. Anytime!

You check in at the hostess stand in the designated anytime dining room, give them your room number(s), and they confirm ATD (this is also how the auto-tips get applied to the correct service staff).

They will seat you. You can sit in the same section with the same servers if you want, or sit wherever they seat you. Very flexible!

You can go anytime between the hours of (I think) 5:45 - 9:30 pm). That's the beauty of it. Go to dinner when you are ready, and when you are hungry. Anytime!

But you run the risk of long waits if they are busy when hyou show up.

I always wondered if you checked in each night, of if after a few nights they just remembered you.

But you run the risk of long waits if they are busy when hyou show up.

We've never had that happen on the last three cruise with ATD. Except once, and it was less than 5 minutes... got a pager, walked out to find a bar nearby, and it buzzed. And the service is actually BETTER than traditional dining, at least in all of our experiences!

If you have opted for early or late seating in the MDR, could you still use Your Time Dining if you couldn't make your set dining time on a night or two?

Nope... you're locked into the dining assignment that you're given.

From Carnival:

Assigned Seating - Early Dining and Late Dining

This dining option offers guests a pre-set dining time for the duration of the cruise as well as the same table assignment each evening in the Main Dining Room. Guests who choose this option will not be able to reserve “Your Time” open seating once on board.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

:)

Do you get to go at ANY TIME durning dinner? Early one night, late the next, middle the third?

They usually ask for your room number and pull it up that way. Some ships have seperate lines to the hostess for ATD. And yes, go whenever. We have gone everywhere between before 6pm to 9pm.

We've never had that happen on the last three cruise with ATD. Except once, and it was less than 5 minutes... got a pager, walked out to find a bar nearby, and it buzzed. And the service is actually BETTER than traditional dining, at least in all of our experiences!

I just got off the Imagination and had ATD and there was a LONG wait, especially the first night. DO NOT go around 7pm. We waited at least 25 minutes to just get a pager and then an additional 25 minutes to be seated (table of 4). The rest of the cruise we ate early 6-630 and that was not bad, but did see the lines for those who showed up between 7-730. This did not ruin the cruise, just thought I would put it out there so people would know.

I just got off the Imagination and had ATD and there was a LONG wait, especially the first night. DO NOT go around 7pm. We waited at least 25 minutes to just get a pager and then an additional 25 minutes to be seated (table of 4). The rest of the cruise we ate early 6-630 and that was not bad, but did see the lines for those who showed up between 7-730. This did not ruin the cruise, just thought I would put it out there so people would know.

We went on a 4 night on imagination this fall, never had to wait once. Weird.:confused: Maybe they were having an off rotation.

They check the assignment by cabin #.

You can request it or simply take the first available. I normally ask for a table for 2 which usually usually caused about a 5 minute wait over first available.

Any time means any time. The flexibility was awesome. We went to eat when we were hungry, not at a set dinner time.

For AT dining, they always enter your cabin# into the computer. This is how they keep track of the auto-tips for the AT servers. If you like your waitstaff you can request them each night, if not then you will get to try a few different servers.

We always use the AT dining option and just love the convenience of dining at our own schedule. :)

I have yet to do the any time dining, but have read over and over, if you are wanting to sit by yourselves you may wait. If you are willing to be seated with others, they will seat you to fill a table and there is no wait. Kind of like breakfast and lunch in the MDR. We are going to try this on our next cruise, because while we normally dine at 7:15 at home, 6 is really too early, and 8 is way too late. But on our next cruise we have some excursions that would cut it way to close to choose early.

We showed up each night anywhere from 5:45 to 6:30 and never had to wait. We always asked for a table just the two of us. On our last 3 nights we asked for the same table and got it without any wait. We loved it so much we are doing this on our next cruise.

I was fairly sure we could not switch between the two. DH wanted to know and now we do. We did the freestyle dining on NCL's Pride of America. That's the only option they had. We did not like it at all! I was glad to be back on Carnival where I could have assigned seating again. Seems like it's a 50/50 split on like/dislike YTD on Carnival. I'm sure it differs between ships and sailings. Thanks for all your replies!!! :D

I LEAVE IN 60 DAYS!!!

I just got off Destiny's Thanksgiving cruise (11/24 to 11/28) today.

On the first night (embarkation night), DH and I went to the dinging room at around 8pm and there it was, a huge line. I mean we couldn't even figure out where the end of the line was after asking 3 people and getting 3 different answers. We waited about 30 minutes before getting the buzzer and another 30 mins before finally getting seated (with other people). Didn't manage to get a table for two as we would prefer, but at that point it hardly mattered.

But it only happened on the first night, all the nights after which were fine, no lines.

You can also make reservations in advance throughout the day if you decide on a specific time you want to eat that night. They have screens up around the ship showing the availability in 15 minute increments using a green-->yellow--->red system to show you the potential wait. It helped us decide what times were were less likely to have a wait.

I have yet to do the any time dining, but have read over and over, if you are wanting to sit by yourselves you may wait. If you are willing to be seated with others, they will seat you to fill a table and there is no wait. Kind of like breakfast and lunch in the MDR. We are going to try this on our next cruise, because while we normally dine at 7:15 at home, 6 is really too early, and 8 is way too late. But on our next cruise we have some excursions that would cut it way to close to choose early.

on the freedom a few weeks ago, i had anytime dining and was by myself. i asked to be seated with other people, and they acted like they weren't sure what to do with me. after a few minutes, they took me to a table for 6, where i was the first. i guess then at the front desk, they started asking people if they were willing to share. they got 1 couple and that was it.

i went on norwegian once with freestyle, and they didn't seem to know what to do with a single person.

i won't go on norwegian again, and i won't do anytime dining again. i will go back to traditional assigned seating. in a dining room setting, i prefer to not eat by myself. for buffet, by myself is fine.

anytime seems to be a nice option, but not for a single that doesn't want to sit alone in the dining room.

You can also make reservations in advance throughout the day if you decide on a specific time you want to eat that night. They have screens up around the ship showing the availability in 15 minute increments using a green-->yellow--->red system to show you the potential wait. It helped us decide what times were were less likely to have a wait.

Never seen this on a Carnival ship are you sure you aren't mixing it up with NCL? When we sailed with them they had this system.

Archived