Upsell Fairy Question

scfa99

I've never received the magical call from the upsell fairy and run every time my phone rings. I'd like to find out if there are any similarities between the people who have received the call. For any of you who have been lucky enough please answer the following:

Did you book the cruise with:

A) Direct with NCL

B) Online travel broker (ala crucon)

C) Travel agent

D) Other (please explain)

Did you contact NCL or they called you about the upsell?

How many weeks before the cruise did you receive the call?

I've never received a call, but here is what I have gathered over the last year of reading these boards.

The answer is e) all of the above.

There used to be a time when the upsell department took phone calls, but apparently no longer does.

It's within the last couple of weeks before sail.

Our friend received theirs the week before.

If you watch your cabins on their web site, it's pretty easy to see the upsell fairy at work. All of a sudden the higher up cabins are filling up and those insides and oceanviews that were not available before all of a sudden become available.

Hope this helps until you get more responses from those who have been through it a couple of times.

We've had one call. We booked through an online TA and I think the call was the same week we were set to sail. The call came via our TA.

While I can't categorically say so, it also seems like some cabin holders are more likely to be offered an upsell. Aft cabins (balconies and suites) seem to be prime candidates. Just my very unofficial two cents.

They called once, and back when you could, I called once. Both were the week of the cruise. I booked directly with NCL. OOOPS, got a call last cruise for OS to GV, but didn't take it.

Hey BikerAl,

Wondering if you don't mind my asking, how much extra for the GV from the OS?

Both GVs are available right now for my cruise in a month's time, and I'm in an OS and would love to get that call :)

Have booked 90% suites and have never recieved a call in 20 years. Even a PCC I talked with one time couldn't believe it :eek:

Oh well some day .

( Usually dont book through NCL )

EDIT: One more item. I booked a Princess cruise ONCE and got the call .. Figure's ; )

We've had one call. We booked through an online TA and I think the call was the same week we were set to sail. The call came via our TA.

While I can't categorically say so, it also seems like some cabin holders are more likely to be offered an upsell. Aft cabins (balconies and suites) seem to be prime candidates. Just my very unofficial two cents.

I would add mini suites to the list also.

I am travelling with 2 other couples.

We have an aft penthouse they each have an aft balcony, the 3 cabins are in a row on dec 10.

If we link our reservation, do you think there is a chance the the 3 couples could get upsold to the GV?

That would be awsome.

Lois

We have an aft balcony booked for Christmas cruise. I'm very happy about it. So much so that I've asked our travel agent to mark it "no upgrades".

That said, for a good price, I'd jump on the chance to try a Haven suite. I've pre-authorized my travel agent for a certain amount should a call come through.

All the balconies on my cruise are now sold out.

Our 2005 Dawn cruise we got a call to our TA for an UPSELL to a mini suite I'd say about 3 weeks out.

But no calls from the UPSELL fairy

WHERE is that woman anyway???:D

The upsell fairy won't call you if you used a TA. They call them and they in turn call you.

Pay attention to the prices. If you paid more than the now discounted higher category, they MAY allow you to upgrade. I was able to go from a courtyard villa to a owners suite this way. That was not the fairy, but me watching the prices and just asking.

This is what we did. We were in an aft penthouse I was watching the prices and about 2 weeks before sailing my TA called NCL and the moved us up to a 2bd room villa in the courtyard since the price had fallen to $100 less than what we originally paid.

We got an email about 5 days before our Pearl cruise last January, went from a mini suite to a courtyard 2 bedroom villa for $1,390 for 3 people. We did book direct with NCL.

This year, we booked an aft penthouse, and watched the prices drop, and were able to upgrade on our own to a 2 bedroom suite for only $190.

We booked through NCL. Received upsell call on Thursday (11/10) for Sunday (11/13) sailing. We had booked a balcony room. The upsell was for a SF Aft penthouse. We ended up turning it down :(... couldn't decide since it was right above the Bliss Lounge.

what if you booked through a large online TA? just wondering if this is a disadvantage to using this type of TA.

The only disadvantage is with no personal relationship to you is if they get the call from NCL they may not be bothered to spend the time to contact you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what if you booked through a large online TA? just wondering if this is a disadvantage to using this type of TA.

I've never booked a cruise through that type of location. But I have booked air fares and/or hotel rooms. In my experience there is no personalization to it, just confirmation emails.

So I agree with the above poster, (LOL that was posting the same time as I was). In order to receive and accept this offer, you pretty well have to have communication. ie TA calls after receiving the upsell call, you OK or decline the offer. The TA contacts NCL with the answer. Or you make your TA aware ahead of time that you are willing to accept A/Y/Z for up to this amount.

The only disadvantage is with no personal relationship to you is if they get the call from NCL they may not be bothered to spend the time to contact you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly , that is what I attribute the fact I have never received a call , On line TA's . But perks are better when booking;)

I think this is true. Worked for me. We were booked in an aft suite on the Dawn last February (first cruise). I kept checking out the higher suites and there seemed to be many available. We left for Disney a week before the cruise and I told my wife we would get an upsell. Sure enough 5 days before the cruise they called me. $520.00 to OS. (5 day cruise). Since we were not going to be home before the cruise I used my cell phone as my primary contact. Something to think about if you carry your cell with you all the time.

I believe the aft suites are easier to resell so they are more apt to get the call. We are booked again on the Epic in February in an aft suite. I still see many courtyard villa's w/balcony available. Come on Fairy.

I keep checking and for our cruise in Jan it seems all the suites are still open but the balconies and lower categories are full. I keep watching to see. Since it is DH's b'day cruise, if I see something great, I would totally snap it up.

Of course I would need to take into consideration the loss of any OBC's. We have $450 btw NCL and the online TA at time of booking so that would weigh in there too.

Can't hurt to dream tho!

I keep checking and for our cruise in Jan it seems all the suites are still open but the balconies and lower categories are full. I keep watching to see. Since it is DH's b'day cruise, if I see something great, I would totally snap it up.

Of course I would need to take into consideration the loss of any OBC's. We have $450 btw NCL and the online TA at time of booking so that would weigh in there too.

Can't hurt to dream tho!

You do not lose your OBC if you are offered an upsell. That was the first thing I asked! You just can't upgrade yourself without losing it.

Archived