Question About Passport and Expiration Date

yoyocruiser

It may be a possibility that I could have an opportunity to take a cruise in January--the Bahamas/Florida cruise out of New York. I had not planned on this and therefore had not even thought about my passport. When I went to find my passport I realized that it expires during January.:eek: I am a person who does not want to cruise without a passport and I simply was not thinking about the possibility of a cruise :eek:or this would have been taken care of.

Technically my passport would be valid for the week of the cruise--it expires the next week (four days after conclusion of the cruise). I am wondering if that is okay for purposes of travel. Of course I can take my license and birth certificate--but honestly I would not be comfortable not being able to fly back home in the event of an emergency. I would not want to travel without a valid passport.

Many countries want your passport to be valid for 6 months even if you are only there for a short time. Medical emergencies, etc. could change your departure date. But with the Bahamas I don't know but I'm sure someone else knows those details. I renewed mine this summer and it was only a few weeks to get the new one so maybe if you sent in the papers asap you should get it back quickly

You have enough time to get your passport done now. My folks went through that. They booked a week ago for the Dec 3rd sailing and realized their passports were expired. They mailed off the passport form and had it expedited. Arrived today in the mail. Whew! :eek::eek:

We are leaving on the Jewel on January 7th and returning on the 15th. My wife's passport expires on June 22nd. Is this considered 6 or 5 months out? When I registered on the NCL website it accepted the passport. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

For this itinerary, (NY to FL and Bahamas) all you need is a valid passport. It's not necessary to have 6 months remaining validity on this cruise. In fact you don't need a passport at all, just an original or certified copy of a government agency issued birth certificate and a photo ID such as a drivers license.

We are leaving on the Jewel on January 7th and returning on the 15th. My wife's passport expires on June 22nd. Is this considered 6 or 5 months out? When I registered on the NCL website it accepted the passport. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

It's only 5 months out, but that's not an issue on this itinerary.

Since you are not REQUIRED to have a passport for this cruise, then keep it in your pocket, for your own piece of mind.

Do the ID and Birth Cert.

Handing them a perfectly valid passport with less than 6 months less could be looking for a hassle. Not worth it.

Looking at the OP's cruise record in the signature block I'm sure they will be traveling more than just this one upcoming cruise. Personally I would just go ahead and get a new passport anyway since there is plenty of time to get one. Obviously it's not mandatory but it's what I would do. :D

It is correct that a passport is not required, but it does make good sense to have it renewed and with you in case of an emergency that requires flying home mid vacation. We have cruised the western caribbean and Bahamas and have only been asked for id at embarkation, never going ashore. The other sticky point is that most of us take a passport but keep it locked in the room safe. If the emergency occurs when ashore, someone will need to get backto the ship the retreive the passports which may not be possible. We always keep a color copy of our passports on hand when ashore. It is not the same as a passport but it will make getting someone to issue temporary papers a lot easier.

OK sorry I’m not understanding the problem here.

If a passport is not required for this itinerary and the passport is only being used for ID purpose to go on the trip and requirement to return to the U.S. in case of emergency. I can’t see where the U.S. would care whether the passport was 6 months prior to expiration, to me that would be only if you were traveling to a country that required a passport.

I may be way out here, but I know to travel back to Canada I need a valid passport period, it’s either valid or it’s not. So unless the OP was afraid of being stuck in a foreign country for 4 days after her cruise is over, I’m not seeing an issue, nor seeing where the OP would have to not use it in case of hassles. What hassles? If it's not required in the first place and just used for ID.

OK sorry I’m not understanding the problem here....

Happens often. People do not read the entire post.

Yes, there are good reasons to get a passport, or have it renewed.

It is NOT required for this cruise.

If you do use a passport, it often needs to be valid for an extended period prior to boarding. He can avoid this hassle by doing the ID and birth cert.

If this particular person needs to fly back, he has a valid passport already. He is great shape for that already.

(and yes, he might as well get it renewed, but it is NOT required)

Technically my passport would be valid for the week of the cruise--it expires the next week (four days after conclusion of the cruise). I am wondering if that is okay for purposes of travel. Of course I can take my license and birth certificate--but honestly I would not be comfortable not being able to fly back home in the event of an emergency. I would not want to travel without a valid passport.

While many countries require that a passport be valid for 6 months after the date of travel, The Bahamas is not one. If you needed to fly back from The Bahamas for an emergency, your passport would be valid up to the day it expires. The State Dept. website has a list of countries that require the 6 month extention and those that don't. I researched this a couple years ago when I travelled to the Bahamas with a passport expiring in a couple weeks. There was no issue at all.

Frex and a couple of others have it right. Some people are misunderstanding the six month rule.

Yes, some countries require a FOREIGN passport to be valid for six months in order to enter the country. That isn't an issue for this itinerary, because you do not have to have a passport for a closed loop cruise.

I also will never sail without a valid passport, so I am not downplaying the importance. But that is because I want to be able to get home easily if something happens and I have to fly home. The six month policy has nothing to do with this situation- you just need a passport that is valid at the time you are flying back to the US.

Hope this helps.

I will just clarify that I don't think the list that Frex is referring to has anything to do with US citizens flying FROM those countries- only citizens coming into their countries. That is why I don't think it matters in the OP's situation.

I guess one possibility where it would matter, is in the event someone misses the cruise and has to fly to the first port to catch the ship. Then I suppose there might be an issue if that country had the six month rule, and may be worth the extra peace of mind.

While many countries require that a passport be valid for 6 months after the date of travel, The Bahamas is not one. If you needed to fly back from The Bahamas for an emergency, your passport would be valid up to the day it expires. The State Dept. website has a list of countries that require the 6 month extention and those that don't. I researched this a couple years ago when I travelled to the Bahamas with a passport expiring in a couple weeks. There was no issue at all.

The rules about being good for x number of months has ZERO bearing if you need it to fly out of the country. That rule only applies to when you ENTER the country. No matter what the country rule is, if you do not need a passport to enter in the first place, it could expire tomorrow, and it would be fine to fly out of the country.

As someone who travels with a passport extensively, my two cents...

You have more than enough time to renew your passport, especially through the expeditied process.

Even though it would expire after your cruise, I would still renew and not take the risk. Even if your passport is not required for this trip, using one will always bring you less scrutiny from those checking it.

As far as an expired passport, it CAN still be used as a proof of citizenship and identification as it is a federally issued ID. Could you run into a minimum wage slave who wants to make your day miserable? Sure. Will anyone ever notice its expiration? 80% no. My wifes passport still has her maiden name, her married name is TYPED into the back page. She travels throughout the US with this and (I counted) only 2 out of 10 times is this noticed and half of those the agent knows where to look. No one has ever turned her away. (Nor would I let them)

Just get it renewed, save yourself the aggravation. You never know when you will have the opportunity to travel again.

As someone who travels with a passport extensively, my two cents...

You have more than enough time to renew your passport, especially through the expeditied process.

Even though it would expire after your cruise, I would still renew and not take the risk. Even if your passport is not required for this trip, using one will always bring you less scrutiny from those checking it.

As far as an expired passport, it CAN still be used as a proof of citizenship and identification as it is a federally issued ID. Could you run into a minimum wage slave who wants to make your day miserable? Sure. Will anyone ever notice its expiration? 80% no. My wifes passport still has her maiden name, her married name is TYPED into the back page. She travels throughout the US with this and (I counted) only 2 out of 10 times is this noticed and half of those the agent knows where to look. No one has ever turned her away. (Nor would I let them)

Just get it renewed, save yourself the aggravation. You never know when you will have the opportunity to travel again.

"minimum wage slave" ???? That's not very nice!:(

. Could you run into a minimum wage slave who wants to make your day miserable? Sure. Will anyone ever notice its expiration? 80% no.

Pretty harsh and so not true.

TSA might to be very well paid (but well above min. wage) but both US and Canadian Customs and Immigration officers are very well paid.

OP does not need to renew passport for this trip.

I may be way out here, but I know to travel back to Canada I need a valid passport period, it’s either valid or it’s not.

Actually, Canadians re-entering Canada do not need a valid passport although it is recommended. Canadians would have a passport when out of Canada because the countries they are visiting would have required it to enter. A technicality yes, but one my brother discovered when his passport expired while out of the country.

Taken from Gov. web-site:

Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right to enter Canada.

The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian citizens travel with a valid Canadian passport because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel.

International transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a passport. Therefore, Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents such as those noted below.

• Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC)
  • NEXUS card (used where the program is available)
  • Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card used in FAST lanes
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Birth certificate in combination with either a driver's licence or a government-issued photo identification

Actually, Canadians re-entering Canada do not need a valid passport although it is recommended. Canadians would have a passport when out of Canada because the countries they are visiting would have required it to enter. A technicality yes, but one my brother discovered when his passport expired while out of the country.

Taken from Gov. web-site:

Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right to enter Canada.

The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian citizens travel with a valid Canadian passport because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel.

International transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a passport. Therefore, Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents such as those noted below.

• Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC)
  • NEXUS card (used where the program is available)
  • Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card used in FAST lanes
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Birth certificate in combination with either a driver's licence or a government-issued photo identification

You totally missed the point of my post. As you can see by what you wrote that flying back to canada would be difficult without your passport. And now when we cross into Canada (twice weekly) CBSA asks on the way back into Canada for our passport. And since I would have to fly to get to any cruise ship, thats where the issue would come from for me. Not many cruise ships sail my end of the St. Lawrence.

My point was; what is all this 6 month stuff when the OP doesn't need passport in the first place for this trip. What is all this avoid hassles when the passport is valid and therefore can certainly be used for ID since thats the only thing required for this sailing.

Unless I'm going to a destination that needs 6 months, 3 months etc. My Canadian Passport is perfectly fine to show anyone including the cruise lines as long as it doesn't expire before my cruise is over.

So as you can see I was saying the exact same thing as you were the post before this one "OP does not need to renew passport for this trip". My confusion came from the other posters who were on this 6 month thing and hassles.

Just want to thank everyone for your input. It was very helpful. I also did research on state department web site and concur that I do not NEED a passport for this trip, nor is there a concern regarding the six month issue. However, given that I need to renew my passport anyway (and I travel frequently) I think it will simply be worth it to me to go ahead and renew and just pay the expedited fee. Probably not necessary--but I like for all the bases to be covered. Many thanks. :)

Pretty harsh and so not true.

TSA might to be very well paid (but well above min. wage) but both US and Canadian Customs and Immigration officers are very well paid.

OP does not need to renew passport for this trip.

Hey, I did not call out anyone in particular. But when you fly 104 times a year +, you run into people who are happy, people who are miserable and people in the middle. Idiots with nothing better to do but make my life harder are EVERYWHERE, not just in the transportation industry. They deserve all the scorn I give.

OP may not HAVE to renew the passport, but why wait? :-)

Archived