Please clarify alcohol policy on Pacific Dawn?

Mum81

Hi, I have never been on a forum before, but am struggling to get any really clear answers from P & O, so here goes: I have booked a suite on Pacific Dawn for a cruise next month to celebrate my husbands 60th Birthday.

We are taking our 2 children with us (aged 4 & 8) and apart from the one night of his actual birthday, when we plan to put them in the kids club, they will both be in bed around 8.30pm on every other night.

We had planned for this and envisioned sitting out on our balcony with a few quiet drinks after the kids had retired. I called P & O to see if I could arrange a "celebration package" to be in the cabin. My husband drinks scotch or beer and I drink vodka. They said I could only have Champagne in the package (which neither of us drink at all).

That's ok, I said, what are my other options to have a drink in our suite. The customer service officer informed me that there would be a fully stocked mini-bar in our fridge in the suite. Great, I said, is it restocked daily?

Mr Customer Service Officer went to check with his supervisor, only to come back and inform me that not only had he been completely wrong about the mini-bar (there is no such thing on this ship), but there was in fact a strict no-alcohol in the cabins policy!

After hearing my disgust at basically being told that we were too irresponsible to be trusted with alcohol in our cabin (I think he thought I said Buck's Party, not 60th Birthday LOL), he tried to placate me by telling me that I could get room service to bring us drinks???? Under the no-alcohol in cabins policy??? I don't get it??

Anyway, I thought we had gotten somewhere until I asked about how the room service would work with drinks. I was then informed that room service would bring us one open beer at a time! Are you serious, was my next question. If we want to have 4 drinks each, we have to call room service 8 times? We have to risk them waking up the children 8 times and pay the room service fee 8 times?

Apparently YES!! I then asked to speak to Mr Customer Service Officers supervisor. After about ten minutes he comes back to tell me that he has put "notes on my record" saying that we can have 4 beers with the lids on delivered to our room each day. How kind of them.

After all that I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and accepted "the deal". Now meaning that my husband will drink the 4 beers (I don't drink beer) and I will be left with bottled water.

All I want is to be able to order some mixed drinks and cocktails to our cabin!!

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to fill you in before I asked the following questions:

Do you think I can trust the "notes on my record" or will we get on board and be told that the staff knew nothing about the agreement for the beers?

Have I been given the right information about this no alcohol policy?

Is there any discretion given to the fact that we are in a full-suite and my husband is obviously mature and we have two small children with us (ie. we are not out to "party".)?

Who would I talk to on the ship about this? And would some "financial encouragement" help?

I didn't even consider taking alcohol on board, but all things considering it might be my best option. What is the best way to go about this and will they deliver "mocktails" to the cabin which I can turn into cocktails myself?

Any other advice in this regard would be really helpful. Thanks for reading.:D

Hi, I have never been on a forum before, but am struggling to get any really clear answers from P & O, so here goes: I have booked a suite on Pacific Dawn for a cruise next month to celebrate my husbands 60th Birthday.

We are taking our 2 children with us (aged 4 & 8) and apart from the one night of his actual birthday, when we plan to put them in the kids club, they will both be in bed around 8.30pm on every other night.

We had planned for this and envisioned sitting out on our balcony with a few quiet drinks after the kids had retired. I called P & O to see if I could arrange a "celebration package" to be in the cabin. My husband drinks scotch or beer and I drink vodka. They said I could only have Champagne in the package (which neither of us drink at all).

That's ok, I said, what are my other options to have a drink in our suite. The customer service officer informed me that there would be a fully stocked mini-bar in our fridge in the suite. Great, I said, is it restocked daily?

Mr Customer Service Officer went to check with his supervisor, only to come back and inform me that not only had he been completely wrong about the mini-bar (there is no such thing on this ship), but there was in fact a strict no-alcohol in the cabins policy!yes you can take alcohol fronm the bars back to your suite

After hearing my disgust at basically being told that we were too irresponsible to be trusted with alcohol in our cabin (I think he thought I said Buck's Party, not 60th Birthday LOL), he tried to placate me by telling me that I could get room service to bring us drinks???? Under the no-alcohol in cabins policy??? I don't get it??

Anyway, I thought we had gotten somewhere until I asked about how the room service would work with drinks. I was then informed that room service would bring us one open beer at a time! Are you serious, was my next question. If we want to have 4 drinks each, we have to call room service 8 times? We have to risk them waking up the children 8 times and pay the room service fee 8 times?

Apparently YES!! I then asked to speak to Mr Customer Service Officers supervisor. After about ten minutes he comes back to tell me that he has put "notes on my record" saying that we can have 4 beers with the lids on delivered to our room each day. How kind of them.

After all that I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth and accepted "the deal". Now meaning that my husband will drink the 4 beers (I don't drink beer) and I will be left with bottled water. The bottled water is free in the suites

All I want is to be able to order some mixed drinks and cocktails to our cabin!!

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to fill you in before I asked the following questions:

Do you think I can trust the "notes on my record" or will we get on board and be told that the staff knew nothing about the agreement for the beers?

Have I been given the right information about this no alcohol policy?[/COL

Is there any discretion given to the fact that we are in a full-suite and my husband is obviously mature and we have two small children with us (ie. we are not out to "party".)?

Who would I talk to on the ship about this? And would some "financial encouragement" help?

I didn't even consider taking alcohol on board, but all things considering it might be my best option. What is the best way to go about this and will they deliver "mocktails" to the cabin which I can turn into cocktails myself?

ask you cabin staff on how to get great room service:D

By the way the bar is not very far away from the suites.

No and Yes. However unless P&O (AU) have a different Room Service Menu on Pacific Dawn to the one we had on the Jewel in September 2011, you will be able to order Canned and Bottled beer from room service for the price in the menu plus a delivery charge - $3.00. With the usual Responsible Service of Alcohol caveat.

Have I been given the right information about this no alcohol policy?

Yes and No - You cannot order cocktails or a set up to mix your own to be delivered to your suite. You can order a limited range of wine (by the bottle) and beer. What you do with anything you buy at a bar on board and walk away with is up to you.

No.

No idea and probably not.

I didn't even consider taking alcohol on board, but all things considering it might be my best option. What is the best way to go about this

Avoid smuggling alcohol in plastic containers that retain and transfer flavours to the replacement contents from the original liquid contained.

and will they deliver "mocktails" to the cabin which I can turn into cocktails myself?

The room service menu is limited and I suggest you go prepared with your own pre mixers. Making do with juices from the buffet or room service does not work.

Your determination is laudable, I hope you get to enjoy your balcony as you have planned and that you will not find that a disinclination for deception gets in your way.

Colleen

ask you cabin staff on how to get great room service:D

By the way the bar is not very far away from the suites.

Good to know there is a bar not too far away, might be best to avoid all the hassles and go that way. Thanks to everyone so far for the tips.:D

Good to know there is a bar not too far away, might be best to avoid all the hassles and go that way. Thanks to everyone so far for the tips.:D
yes thats what we have found as the best way around all of it, We have stayed in suites many times on the Pacific Dawn.

yes thats what we have found as the best way around all of it, We have stayed in suites many times on the Pacific Dawn.

This will be my first time on Pacific Dawn and I have looked at the deck plans, but I couldn't follow a map down my own driveway (LOL), which bar would be closest/most convenient to access from the suites? Atmosphere doesn't matter, just to pick up drinks. Thanks again for your help

This will be my first time on Pacific Dawn and I have looked at the deck plans, but I couldn't follow a map down my own driveway (LOL), which bar would be closest/most convenient to access from the suites? Atmosphere doesn't matter, just to pick up drinks. Thanks again for your help
up one flight of stairs to deck 12 there are three bars there when they are all open and one on deck 14

As far as whether you can rely on their notes is concerned, maybe, maybe not. I relied on my own handwritten notes of the conversation and also recording the name of the person I spoke to, date and time. I had arranged for champagne on ice to be waiting for us in our cabin and three bottles of wine. I had to pay for it by credit card there and then. Needless to say it was not there waiting for us. Whilst the ship was still in Port, I rang P&O and reminded them of our deal (emphasis needed) - one that we had paid for. They said it would be taken to the dining room. I told them that was not the deal and that I wanted the credit card recredited immediately and they could do whatever they would like to do with the champagne and wine:eek:.

After about 20 minutes, the ship's Hotel Manager arrived with a bottle of champagne (on ice) with their apologies and also the bottled wine I had ordered. All was forgiven.

On that cruise, they would not deliver alcohol at all to the cabins of any description, regardless of the fact we were told that because we were in a suite we would get room service alcohol. Actually it was a mini suite (there are no suites on the Pearl).

That cruise was in March. In June/July we cruised on the Jewel and it had changed. They would deliver a bottle of wine and 2 beers to any cabin. On this basis, it seems to me that I can sit there and drink a whole bottle of wine on my own and DH can only have 2 beers - guess who would be more tipsy? Go figure.

If you want to have more beers than 2 at a time, then can I suggest you go to a store that sells bottle stoppers for bottled beer and/or wine (sorry don't know what you do for cans). The stoppers work very well. Go up to the bar and buy a few beers (opened) and take them back to your room and put the stoppers in them and plonk them in the fridge (as tiny as it is).

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers

Di

There seems to be no consistency in the rules for either P&O or Princess. So frustrating. We have found you can buy great self sealing sparkling wine stoppers from the Kitchen shops. The fizz will last for two or three days. (The two of us cannot drink a whole bottle between us in one go - so we have found this solves the problem nicely.) :)

As far as whether you can rely on their notes is concerned, maybe, maybe not. I relied on my own handwritten notes of the conversation and also recording the name of the person I spoke to, date and time. I had arranged for champagne on ice to be waiting for us in our cabin and three bottles of wine. I had to pay for it by credit card there and then. Needless to say it was not there waiting for us. Whilst the ship was still in Port, I rang P&O and reminded them of our deal (emphasis needed) - one that we had paid for. They said it would be taken to the dining room. I told them that was not the deal and that I wanted the credit card recredited immediately and they could do whatever they would like to do with the champagne and wine:eek:.

After about 20 minutes, the ship's Hotel Manager arrived with a bottle of champagne (on ice) with their apologies and also the bottled wine I had ordered. All was forgiven.

On that cruise, they would not deliver alcohol at all to the cabins of any description, regardless of the fact we were told that because we were in a suite we would get room service alcohol. Actually it was a mini suite (there are no suites on the Pearl).

That cruise was in March. In June/July we cruised on the Jewel and it had changed. They would deliver a bottle of wine and 2 beers to any cabin. On this basis, it seems to me that I can sit there and drink a whole bottle of wine on my own and DH can only have 2 beers - guess who would be more tipsy? Go figure.

If you want to have more beers than 2 at a time, then can I suggest you go to a store that sells bottle stoppers for bottled beer and/or wine (sorry don't know what you do for cans). The stoppers work very well. Go up to the bar and buy a few beers (opened) and take them back to your room and put the stoppers in them and plonk them in the fridge (as tiny as it is).

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers

Di

I am sorry for the drama that you had, but glad that somebody else is confused as I am. As they told me "there is a strict no alcohol in cabins policy", but you can get champagne or wine delivered in the celebration packages. I'm pretty sure last time I checked, both champagne and wine were alcoholic beverages???

I really feel that they need to have one consistent (across the board) policy and have it in writing, when I asked the P & O representitive for a copy of such policy, I was told that none existed. I also feel that requesting 6 beers delivered to a cabin where there are 2 adults listed is not an unreasonable request.

After my conversation with them, I felt like a naughty teenager, having begged my parents to let me have some alcohol to take to a party! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the bottle stoppers as well, I might try them out beforehand, or head to one of those bars on level 12.

There seems to be no consistency in the rules for either P&O or Princess. So frustrating. We have found you can buy great self sealing sparkling wine stoppers from the Kitchen shops. The fizz will last for two or three days. (The two of us cannot drink a whole bottle between us in one go - so we have found this solves the problem nicely.) :)

Hi Sandy, actually we've never had a problem on Princess but we've just gotten off 21 blissful nights on the Rhapsody and even though you CANT take alcohol on board, we were all taking it on (whatever we wanted and as much as we wanted) - perhaps it was because it was a charter:)

We are off again on the Radiance for 35 nights in February and no doubt it will be back to as Debsta would say, 'Rumrunners'. Only thing is I haven't worked out how wine works in them:confused:

I see you're off again a few days before us - have a great cruise!

Cheers

Di

Thanks Di, and the same to you. It seems to be only lately that I've read of problems with Princess - just when I thought, woo hoo we're finally cruising with Prncess and can take on alcohol at every port!!! (That sounds bad, doesn't it, but you know what I mean. :D) Well we shall just do it, plead ignorance and see what happens. :rolleyes:

Thanks Di, and the same to you. It seems to be only lately that I've read of problems with Princess - just when I thought, woo hoo we're finally cruising with Prncess and can take on alcohol at every port!!! (That sounds bad, doesn't it, but you know what I mean. :D) Well we shall just do it, plead ignorance and see what happens. :rolleyes:

Hi Sandy,

I still don't believe that there is a problem with Princess and that it was simply a misunderstanding on the interpretation of the word 'alcohol'. :)Aussies understand it to mean 'any alcoholic drink including wine' whereas it seems to me that the Americans interpret it as spirits (not wine). I have heard of so many people who have taken wine on the local Princess ships with no problems, in the same way we have previously.

Hi Sandy, actually I've just received an email from 'Resordanis'. She is on the Diamond and said the food has not been very good at all. She did do the balcony dining and said that was fabulous and is tonight trying Sabatinis (lucky duck) so hopefully it will improve. I don't think we've ever had a bad meal on Princess.

AusTraveller - you're right about the misunderstanding regarding the 'type' of alcohol. It was just on the particular cruise on the Rhapsody that it didn't really matter what it was and everyone was happy. We found it exceptionally good as we went to the Marlborough and Napier twice:D

Cheers

Di

Sandie we are cruising on the Dawn Princess around the Fijian island and their alcohol policy is....no alcoholic beverages (other than wine or champagne one bottle per person per Voyage) other wise it'll be taken off you and you will get it back at the end of the cruise

2 passengers today bought on 2 bottles of wine and their names, cabins number down taken and because they had not bought any wine on in Sydney they were allowed to keep their wine and told no more

Sandie we are cruising on the Dawn Princess around the Fijian island and their alcohol policy is....no alcoholic beverages (other than wine or champagne one bottle per person per Voyage) other wise it'll be taken off you and you will get it back at the end of the cruise

2 passengers today bought on 2 bottles of wine and their names, cabins number down taken and because they had not bought any wine on in Sydney they were allowed to keep their wine and told no more

Hi Bob, That's a bit rough. We've never had a problem with bringing on wine in each Port on the Dawn Princess. I remember Tony actually brought on beer (I think in Noumea). I think you were on that cruise too. Hope you're having a great time and Hi to Kay. Did she take on her cask(s)?

Cheers

Di

Hi Bob, That's a bit rough. We've never had a problem with bringing on wine in each Port on the Dawn Princess. I remember Tony actually brought on beer (I think in Noumea). I think you were on that cruise too. Hope you're having a great time and Hi to Kay. Did she take on her cask(s)?

Cheers

Di

hi Di, the Dawn Princess is very tough, they have a notice in the patter every night and at the tender station about the alcohol policy....we are having a good cruise and about to leave SuvaSuva....we got our supply on ok in Sydney

bob

Archived