House wine on the Pearl

Ewoodspark

I read recently that House wines were not shown on the wine list in the dining rooms and that you had had to actually ask for a bottle of house wine. However, I am also reading that the Pearl now no longer sell House Wines to the passengers. Can anybody who have recently been on the Pearl confirm the situation regarding House Wines. I have seen the full Wine menu showing the cheapest bottle at $24 + 15%, and if they still do House Wines would have expected a lower price than this.

I read recently that House wines were not shown on the wine list in the dining rooms and that you had had to actually ask for a bottle of house wine. However, I am also reading that the Pearl now no longer sell House Wines to the passengers. Can anybody who have recently been on the Pearl confirm the situation regarding House Wines. I have seen the full Wine menu showing the cheapest bottle at $24 + 15%, and if they still do House Wines would have expected a lower price than this.

That $24 bottle of wine (plus 15%)is a white zinfindel. There is a sparking wine that is $22 plus 15% (I think).

The house wine on NCL is now the Tisdale Merlot and Chardonnay, which is Californian. They do not appear on the list. You can ask for a bottle or buy by the glass. I believe it is $37 a bottle plus gratuity (15 %).

Personally, I think you would be better bringing your own wine onboard and paying the $15 fee.

I'm a frequent consumer of the "house white." I always buy it by the glass and last paid $5.25 + 15%. I THINK the last quote I heard for a bottle was $22 + 15%, but don't hold me to that.

As I recall (and you are correct), the "house" wine is NOT always listed on the wine list or bar drink lists...rather, you simply have to know to ask for it (and I have often found that to be the case in shore-side restaurants as well). No doubt they have a specific brand that they normally serve as the "house" wine, but on a couple of occasions I believe they simply gave me ~whatever~ white they had open at the time. Kind of like a surprise "upgrade." :-)

That $24 bottle of wine (plus 15%)is a white zinfindel. There is a sparking wine that is $22 plus 15% (I think).

The house wine on NCL is now the Tisdale Merlot and Chardonnay, which is Californian. They do not appear on the list. You can ask for a bottle or buy by the glass. I believe it is $37 a bottle plus gratuity (15 %).

Personally, I think you would be better bringing your own wine onboard and paying the $15 fee.

$37 + 15% ? Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard of a house wine costing 50% MORE than a listed wine

• 4 months later...

On asking for a house red on the Pearl last week in one of the main dining rooms, I was told by the waiter that they do not sell house wines. Very strange when Norwegian Cruise Line advertise house wines in room service for $22.00. Is this another case of the cruise lines ripping passengers off?

On asking for a house red on the Pearl last week in one of the main dining rooms, I was told by the waiter that they do not sell house wines. Very strange when Norwegian Cruise Line advertise house wines in room service for $22.00. Is this another case of the cruise lines ripping passengers off?

I would ask the Matre'd.

Talking about rip offs, recently on two other lines, not NCL, we discovered the wine list was not accurate relative to price for a bottle of wine we ordered. On the first cruise line, I noticed my cabin bill was higher a few dollars more than I anticipated. I did not check out, later I wished I had.

On the second cruise line, we order a bottle of wine for $32. We signed off on a receipt for $32. Later check my cabin bill I found I had a bar bill for over $60. I knew that was not right so checked it out. What I found, was we were charged $16 more - plus tip for the $32 bottle of wine, plus they lumped it what another drink my husband ordered. I made them reverse the extra charges which were about $18 total since it was their fault the wine list price was not correct. Now that is a rip off.

Since it happened two us on two different cruise lines within a couple of weeks, we will be alert to this new scam. Check your bills folks, they added the charges after we signed off on our bar bill at the price listed.

I would ask the Matre'd.

quote]

I went to see Harold Plunkett in the Indigo (or Mr P as he prefers to be known as). After he waffled for a bit, he then said himself that they do not sell house wine in the main dining rooms. He could not answer my question as to why room service had it included.

I went to see Harold Plunkett in the Indigo (or Mr P as he prefers to be known as). After he waffled for a bit, he then said himself that they do not sell house wine in the main dining rooms. He could not answer my question as to why room service had it included.

Weird. I've ordered house wine "by the glass" dozens of times in the MDRs, as recently as six months ago. Maybe something has changed? :-( Or maybe this is just a restriction on "bottle" sales?

One of the things they promote at the bars is if you prepay for a bottle (including "house") they will serve it to you wherever you are. So maybe you prepay at a bar and then request service in the MDR???

But that seems ridiculous!

We found Tisdale at a local grocery - 3/$10.

I don't think it's worth that much.:rolleyes:

Had a bottle on the Dawn in March, had about a glass out of it and they put it away for me. I never claimed it.

Lois

• 1 month later...

Been on the Panama Pearl and people we met on CC had same problem ordering house wine in MDR. They complained to head wine guy and he was going to look into it, however they solved the problem by ordering it with room service and taking it to the restaurant themselves. Waiters opened it and if necessary kept it in the same way as any wine ordered in the MDR or anywhere else on the ship. We used this quite a lot ourselves

DH drinks red and I drink white but if the bottle is not empty they give you

a ticket and you can give reclaim it in any restaurant, the bottle (s) will appear within minutes (the white chilled perfectly).

Archived