What would you do??

addicted2

Thought I would get everyones opinions as how you would have handled this. We always pay our tips in cash, with extra if it is earned. On our most recent cruise on the Adventure we didn't see our stateroom attendant on the last night, no big deal we figured we could catch her in the morning and give her the tip envelope. When we tried to find her the next morning we were told by the other stateroom attendants in the hall that her contract was up and that she had already left the ship that morning. So the question for everyone is, what would you do with the tip envelope? We couldn't remember her name and the lines at guest relations were way too long.

Thought I would get everyones opinions as how you would have handled this. We always pay our tips in cash, with extra if it is earned. On our most recent cruise on the Adventure we didn't see our stateroom attendant on the last night, no big deal we figured we could catch her in the morning and give her the tip envelope. When we tried to find her the next morning we were told by the other stateroom attendants in the hall that her contract was up and that she had already left the ship that morning. So the question for everyone is, what would you do with the tip envelope? We couldn't remember her name and the lines at guest relations were way too long.

We have paid our tips in cash several times. Normally what we do, before we leave for dinner (early seating) on the last night we leave their tip envelope out in plain sight either on the bed or by the mirror at the desk & the stateroom attendant has never missed finding it. If we see them in the hallway on the way to dinner, we tell them thank you & their tip envelope is on the bed.

Steve

We do the same thing. If you leave it in the cabin, then you know they will get it, and many times we've had cabin attendants who are transferring to another ship or ending their contracts and going home for their break.

In your case there was no way to get the money to her, but you could call RCCL and see if there's still a way to have a check deposited into her employee account if it's still active. She might just be on her break at home.

First, good for you that you have the concern. You obviously see that the tip was earned and want it delivered. Call RCCL and express your concern and ask them to provide the solution. Because of your good heart you may well find another willing to go the extra mile with you.

The stateroom attendants work very hard keeping rooms neat and tidy and following up on each and every request. If anyone deserves a tip, it is the stateroom attendant...just imagine what they clean every day. I am sorry to hear that your attendant did not receive the required gratuity.

In the future, do just leave it in the cabin before you go to dinner on the last night...you know the attendant will be in for your nightly "turn-down" service, and they will get their tips.

Many workers on the ship may be at the end of their "tour"....and the ship does tell them when they must leave, as some have quite early flights.

Ok, I'll say it. In that particular scenario, I would put the money right back in to my pocket. Yes, I would feel bad, but she's no longer on the ship. Most likely, I would make myself feel better by taking the opinion she could have tactfully said something earlier about her early departure from the ship.

You may be able to find someone that is going on Adventure in the very near future and ask them to see if 'she' on board.

Her contract was up and she had already left the ship, so how could someone else going on that same ship find her?

I would just let it go. I also think she may have considered mentioning her early departure to the pasengers in her cabins.

The stateroom attendants work very hard keeping rooms neat and tidy and following up on each and every request. If anyone deserves a tip, it is the stateroom attendant...just imagine what they clean every day. I am sorry to hear that your attendant did not receive the required gratuity.

I'm sure that the OP is sorry also. No one said that the attendant didn't deserve the gratuity. And, I didn't realize that a gratuity was "required". I thought that it was given for good service. Don't get me wrong, my DH and I are excellent tippers who almost always (over 20 cruises) give more than the suggested amount, but I never felt that it was a required thing. Just as when I dine out I don't feel that it is required. Nice, to be sure; part of the person's income-yes; but "required" no.

Okay, I will now step down from my soapbox! Have a good day.

I would feel bad, but I would also let it go at this point. The steward should have mentioned if she was planning to leave the ship early. Not everyone leaves tips the evening before departure. I thought stewards were required to turn over the cabins before leaving. Did the steward dump her work on someone else?

I had a bad experience with an overzealous steward a few years ago and don't leave extra cash the evening before departure anymore. Our steward had been great for the cruise so we left him a nice additional tip that evening. However, the morning of departure he starting banging on our door at 6 AM wanting to know why we weren't out of the cabin despite the departure notice saying we didn't have to be out until 8 AM and our departure time wasn't until 9:30 AM. He came back about every 20 minutes wanting to know when we would leave.

Now I wait until morning to give anything extra. If I am woken up and asked to leave the cabin early, then any extra cash would go back in my pocket. It hasn't happened since and I haven't had a problem finding the steward in the morning so far. If I did, I would probably just leave the cash in the room. I guess if my steward had left, it would go to whoever was turning over the cabin.

I'm sure that the OP is sorry also. No one said that the attendant didn't deserve the gratuity. And, I didn't realize that a gratuity was "required". I thought that it was given for good service. Don't get me wrong, my DH and I are excellent tippers who almost always (over 20 cruises) give more than the suggested amount, but I never felt that it was a required thing. Just as when I dine out I don't feel that it is required. Nice, to be sure; part of the person's income-yes; but "required" no.

Okay, I will now step down from my soapbox! Have a good day.

Ooops...my mistake with wording. The proper wording should have been "suggested".

Ok, I'll say it. In that particular scenario, I would put the money right back in to my pocket. Yes, I would feel bad, but she's no longer on the ship. Most likely, I would make myself feel better by taking the opinion she could have tactfully said something earlier about her early departure from the ship.

Thank You... this is exactly what we did. Especially since we couldn't remember her name. We also wish that she should have mentioned something during the cruise that she was leaving. We have given out the tip envelope to our stateroom attendant several times on the morning of departure, so didn't think much of it. We spent the night after our cruise in Puerto Rico and thanked our stateroom attendant for buying us a nice dinner (just kidding!!). We will however hand out the envelopes earlier from now on.

Archived