Using the crew stairwell

Gayle V

Have you ever used the crew stairwell, (not during the drill).

Recently I was considering booking a cruise that my brother's family is doing. But no cabins on their deck. They are aft facing. There was a cabin, also aft facing, on the next deck.

Now I know we'd be going back and forth between cabins from time to time, and I see the crew stairwell would be so handy, but clearly that's not what the cruise line would want us to do.

So, do you think they would have made an issue out of it, if we had used those stairs, occasionally? Have any of you done this before?

Someone would probably say something to you if they saw you - there are pretty strict rules about crew and passengers being in each other's areas, especially against passengers being in crew areas. And if you fell down those stairs and were injured, you would probably have no recourse against the cruise line no matter how negligent they might have been.

Do a little walking, and reward yourselves with an extra dessert!! :D

Hope you have a great time!

What ship is it?

There an aft stairwell on Fantasy-class ships that isn't really crew only but doesn't appear to get much use.

The stairs outside that go from the outdoor eating space on Lido down to the Serenity deck, then the port side goes down another deck. That's where there is a restroom that people on Serenity can use. There are clearly marked "crew" areas on that level.

But you can also go down another level and come out in the aft hallway on Empress. I was in E172 and used those stairs several times.

But on other class ships that don't have this, I most definitely would not use the crew stairs.

When we sailed on the fascination last month we had E 244 again which is a aft balcony. The crew door is right across the hall from that room. They had it open the whole trip and you could use it. In october of last year we stayed in the same room and it was kept shut and we couldn't use it. I think the reason why it was open was access to the sernity deck. So you MIGHT be able to use it. It depends on what class ship. Look and see if it stays open!

Have you ever used the crew stairwell, (not during the drill).

Recently I was considering booking a cruise that my brother's family is doing. But no cabins on their deck. They are aft facing. There was a cabin, also aft facing, on the next deck.

Now I know we'd be going back and forth between cabins from time to time, and I see the crew stairwell would be so handy, but clearly that's not what the cruise line would want us to do.

So, do you think they would have made an issue out of it, if we had used those stairs, occasionally? Have any of you done this before?

Yes, they would make a BIG deal out of it and if you were caught a second time could face removal from the ship. There are reasons that you are not supposed to be in crew areas that deal with privacy but more importantly SAFETY. In other words stay out of the crew areas.

It really isn't a big deal, and doubt anyone would even see you and/or say anything. Especially if it's just one floor.

I have used the middle stairway a few times just for fun on different ships and also the steward supply closet to get my own ice.

The only reason they have it is too limit the the crew presensce from the passengers. Especially the below deck ones.

I don't know how anyone can make it a "safety" issue. Stairs are stairs and I am pretty sure that most folks can use a stairway without risk.

The stairwell I was referring to is not like the crew stairs that we used on the behind the fun tour. (These are carpeted also) The door sits open and the stairs are to the left. There is another door in that entrance that does say crew only that I wouldn't use.

It may be easier and more convenient for you to use. Sure. But don't complain when you see others not following rules out of Their convenience. Chair hoggers, Line Jumpers or thieves anyone? Rules apply for a reason. Anyone can think of a rule that they can bend to make their life easier. Now if everyone does this there would be a mutiny.

On the Inspiration upon boarding after a day in port we went to take the stairs because the line for the elevators was ridiculous. We ventured towards the closest stairwell and realized it was a crew stairwell. There were two crew members there who told us to go ahead and use it. We felt like we were doing something wrong... lol. :o It was a steep metal staircase.

It may be easier and more convenient for you to use. Sure. But don't complain when you see others not following rules out of Their convenience. Chair hoggers, Line Jumpers or thieves anyone? Rules apply for a reason. Anyone can think of a rule that they can bend to make their life easier. Now if everyone does this there would be a mutiny.
Well sure you're right but only when you are talking about other people breaking rules.:D

• 6 months later...

why would you want too intrude on their private area ? this is the only place on the ship they can get away from the hectic shcedule they have and relax away from the passengers. get a little exercise and use the passenger stairs and elevators.

Archived