Article on Violence in Mexico vs USA

karfest

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2011%2F08%2F18%2FTR3O1KLPOQ.DTL#ixzz1VmED3BQL

Those of us who live here full or part-time are happy to see the facts coming out, not just fear mongering. You are actually safer in Mexico than any toursist destination in the US.

Come on down to Mexico- the weather is great, food is tasty and the exchange rate is very favorable. :)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2011%2F08%2F18%2FTR3O1KLPOQ.DTL#ixzz1VmED3BQL

Those of us who live here full or part-time are happy to see the facts coming out, not just fear mongering. You are actually safer in Mexico than any toursist destination in the US.

Come on down to Mexico- the weather is great, food is tasty and the exchange rate is very favorable. :)

Good Job! I saw this post and feared that it was yet another "Mexico is so unsafe, I am going to stay home this year and visit.....(name the worst part of any major US city here)"

We travel to Cabo every year, twice a year, and have never felt "unsafe"...uhhh...after getting past our own TSA, that is.

True. There are locations/cities in the USA where the homicide rate is more than in some locations/cities in Mexico. The murder/homicide rate, though, is not the only consideration when thinking about crime when we travel. It's a relatively small, but still important, part. But the areas in the USA where the murder rate is high, the neighborhoods where the rates are high, aren't likely to draw tourists. In Mexico, however, there are principal tourist destinations where the crime rate, and homicide rate, is high in popular tourist areas. On the Pacific Coast of Mexico, Mazatlan and Acapulco are two of these high crime zones.

Remember, too, that crime in Mexico is under reported and not calculated, tallied as it is in better developed nations. Most crime goes unreported in Mexico. You'll see more homicide stats, though, but far, far fewer believable other crime statistics.

Yoiu're making an apples to oranges comparison.

The reason the cruise lines have wiped certain destinations from their itineraries along the Pacific Coast of Mexico is due to the high crime, risk rates.

As tourists we have many options as to destinations, where to spend our money, etc. Relatively few people will choose the destinations considered dangerous. They don't choose certain inner city high-crime zones in the USA, either.

Reports of the war, terrorism and other criminal activities are underreported in the international media. The magnitude of the problem is greater than the average tourist understands. The cruise lines are acting responsibly by seeking to protect passengers and crew.

Yes the crime-rate in Mexico is high, but remember it is mostly between druggangs/druglords, fighting about territory etc. Hardly ever against tourists even in Mazatlan or Acapulco.

I suspect the cruise lines made the decision to drop certain ports with liability issues in mind. If something happens to a passenger, they become a target for someone looking to "get paid" in a lawsuit. That's the risk I think they are unwilling to take.

That said, I understand both sides of the argument. There are elements in certain parts of Mexico that could be dangerous. I won't say I'm not concerned, but I'd still be willing to go to Mexico today.

True. There are locations/cities in the USA where the homicide rate is more than in some locations/cities in Mexico. The murder/homicide rate, though, is not the only consideration when thinking about crime when we travel. It's a relatively small, but still important, part. But the areas in the USA where the murder rate is high, the neighborhoods where the rates are high, aren't likely to draw tourists. In Mexico, however, there are principal tourist destinations where the crime rate, and homicide rate, is high in popular tourist areas. On the Pacific Coast of Mexico, Mazatlan and Acapulco are two of these high crime zones.

Remember, too, that crime in Mexico is under reported and not calculated, tallied as it is in better developed nations. Most crime goes unreported in Mexico. You'll see more homicide stats, though, but far, far fewer believable other crime statistics.

Yoiu're making an apples to oranges comparison.

The reason the cruise lines have wiped certain destinations from their itineraries along the Pacific Coast of Mexico is due to the high crime, risk rates.

As tourists we have many options as to destinations, where to spend our money, etc. Relatively few people will choose the destinations considered dangerous. They don't choose certain inner city high-crime zones in the USA, either.

Reports of the war, terrorism and other criminal activities are underreported in the international media. The magnitude of the problem is greater than the average tourist understands. The cruise lines are acting responsibly by seeking to protect passengers and crew.

I live in the capitol of California and was an innocent bystander in TWO shootings this year. During the first one, my girlfriends standing on either side of me got shot. The few few hours after the first shooting the police said it was likely not going to be solved. The second shooting, why even bother talking to the police. In both instances were in the heart of the tourist section. In both instances, the shootings got barely hundred words in the paper, barely a mention on the news. Nothing else outside of that first day. I've got my money on Mexico and looking forward to my trip. I'm in as much danger, if not more, in my homeland and in my backyard than I am in Mexico.

I live in the capitol of California and was an innocent bystander in TWO shootings this year. During the first one, my girlfriends standing on either side of me got shot. The few few hours after the first shooting the police said it was likely not going to be solved. The second shooting, why even bother talking to the police. In both instances were in the heart of the tourist section. In both instances, the shootings got barely hundred words in the paper, barely a mention on the news. Nothing else outside of that first day. I've got my money on Mexico and looking forward to my trip. I'm in as much danger, if not more, in my homeland and in my backyard than I am in Mexico.

I agree with you and feel this way about the lovely state of California in which I live. I would never choose to live anywhere else, and intend to live here until I die. However, I am in sales and have to drive in many areas of Southern California. I have actually been more frightened in some of my daily activities to go see potential clients here in California than I have ever felt while in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta or Cabo.

I'm in no way saying that the problems in Mexico aren't real. I believe there are significant problems and they may be handled different there than in the US for many reasons. However, I will continue to travel to Mexico both on the Pacific side and Atlantic side until our state government says we should never, ever travel there (not just the warnings about border cities,etc)

Wherever we all choose to travel in this world, there are some elementary, common sense things we should practice.

I agree with you and feel this way about the lovely state of California in which I live. I would never choose to live anywhere else, and intend to live here until I die. However, I am in sales and have to drive in many areas of Southern California. I have actually been more frightened in some of my daily activities to go see potential clients here in California than I have ever felt while in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta or Cabo.

I'm in no way saying that the problems in Mexico aren't real. I believe there are significant problems and they may be handled different there than in the US for many reasons. However, I will continue to travel to Mexico both on the Pacific side and Atlantic side until our state government says we should never, ever travel there (not just the warnings about border cities,etc)

Wherever we all choose to travel in this world, there are some elementary, common sense things we should practice.

You make some great points. I too, will stay in California until I die. I spent 7 years on the East Coast doing something different and there the biggest killer was drunk drivers. When it's our time to go.. it's our time, regardless if we are in Mexico or sitting at home.

• 2 weeks later...
Same with HAL, they have dropped some Mexican ports and caused an uproar on the HAL board.

Kirk

I don't believe these lines dropped Mexican Riviera for their unsafe conditions. It's all about revenue and the almighty dollar. Too many tourists believe all the hype on the news about how dangerous the drug cartel is and avoid going to Mexico. If people don't want to go to Mexico, the cruise lines have to drop prices to entice people go so they aren't making enough money.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo last week and didn't have a concern in the world. Police and military is very much in evidence in PV, including helicopters, Cabo was much more laid back. My understanding was that some the ships were going back to Mazatlan as of this month but there may have been a change on this.

Thank you for this article. We live in Canada and are about to do a 9-night Mexician Riviera cruise and I am looking forward to it. Our 21 year old son studied and toured for 8 weeks Mexico after his 3rd year of engineering school this past summer. He stayed with a host family and said he he felt just as safe in their neighbourhood as he did in ours. With all the media my husband was very much against our son going. I reminded him of a student in our very own city that was here from Rio Brazil (one of the most dangerous places in the world) but he was shot and blinded in our "safe" city. My son foud the Mexician people to be very friendly and very helpful. It was his encouragement of wanting us to see it that we are taking this family vacation in mid Feb.

Just back from a Cunard cruise and I was asking a Sr. Officer about the situation in Mexico while we were docked in Ensenada.

The reason the cruise lines are dropping Mexican ports is because the insurance companies will not cover the ships in ports like Acapulco. The cruise lines are at the mercy of the insurance companies, and the insurance companies have told them no way. We can complain as much as we want but it's the insurance companies, not the media.

We were in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo last week and didn't have a concern in the world. Police and military is very much in evidence in PV, including helicopters, Cabo was much more laid back. My understanding was that some the ships were going back to Mazatlan as of this month but there may have been a change on this.

The reason for those helicopters close to the terminal is very simple...there is a naval base next to the cruise-terminal.

In PV you can see 3 types of police, statal, local and one special for tourists. Many security people often give the impression being police. So that might give an impression about seeing many policemen.

QUOTE]

I think the writer of that article might need to check with Wikipedia about homicide rates around the world before talking about just violence. As you'll see the pacific coast of Mexico experiences a very high rate of homicides, not just violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png

This week police discovered the bodies of 2 that were stabbed, burned and buried in the sand in Huatulco.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-student-boyfriend-found-dead-in-mexico/article2293361/

QUOTE]

I think the writer of that article might need to check with Wikipedia about homicide rates around the world before talking about just violence. As you'll see the pacific coast of Mexico experiences a very high rate of homicides, not just violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png

This week police discovered the bodies of 2 that were stabbed, burned and buried in the sand in Huatulco.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-student-boyfriend-found-dead-in-mexico/article2293361/

Hmmmm... look at this stabbing that happened in the US last month as a result of a robbery - Goodness do these things really happen in the United States? Some would have you believe they only happen in Mexico:eek:

Harold Proctor Held in “Revenge Killing” of Kevin Blackwell Jr.

Posted Jan. 6, 2012, 6:38 p.m. by Laura Amico | Leave a Comment

In the mix of murder cases that parade through DC Superior Court, the death of Kevin Blackwell Jr. goes “beyond the pale,” Stephen Gripkey said today.

Calling the crime “cruel” and “heinous,” Gripkey, the AUSA prosecuting the case, said Blackwell was “hunted down” in a revenge driven killing.

Blackwell, 20, was fatally stabbed Dec. 17 in Southeast DC. Detectives believe he was the victim of a robbery.

Just back from a Cunard cruise and I was asking a Sr. Officer about the situation in Mexico while we were docked in Ensenada.

The reason the cruise lines are dropping Mexican ports is because the insurance companies will not cover the ships in ports like Acapulco. The cruise lines are at the mercy of the insurance companies, and the insurance companies have told them no way. We can complain as much as we want but it's the insurance companies, not the media.

This is probably one of the best reasons I have heard for not docking in some ports in Mexico. I have a friend who is a pilot and he said the Alaska Air won't leave a plane overnight in Mexico any longer. They actually fly them back to San Diego or Los Angeles empty. What ever the reason, it sure is disapointing that we have to miss so interesting ports and the suffering put on the local economy and people.

Dear Ann Landers;

I am not sure if I should be worried or not but we have a home in an area adjacent to Bullhead City, AZ. In this morning's paper I read that the city has had 3 homicides each of the past two years. With the city having a population of just under 45,000 I believe that would put the murder rate at something north of 6/100,000. What should I do?

Scared in AZ.

Uh-oh. Shooting at the Sheboygan, Wisconsin Wal-Mart left one dead, one injured. Meanwhile, I went to the Manzanillo Wal-Mart and came home alive:)

Good thing I don't shop at Wal-Mart when I'm in the US, I could get killed. :rolleyes:

This is probably one of the best reasons I have heard for not docking in some ports in Mexico. I have a friend who is a pilot and he said the Alaska Air won't leave a plane overnight in Mexico any longer. They actually fly them back to San Diego or Los Angeles empty. What ever the reason, it sure is disapointing that we have to miss so interesting ports and the suffering put on the local economy and people.

Oh Please :rolleyes: Can you get his name so when I contact Alaskan to ask them this I can give his name......I am sure that if this is true then you won't mind giving us a name so I can check...otherwise you are fearmonging at it's worst.....LOL:eek:

Archived