Cruise to Alaska

usaspire

Hello,

We want to plan out first ever cruise to Alaska in May 2012. We are looking at many cruise option and so far we like carribbean cruise.

Is worth paying $100 pp for window room or go with Internal room.

What do we expect in cruise...

Any ideas / suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks,

Aspire

Hello,

We want to plan out first ever cruise to Alaska in May 2012. We are looking at many cruise option and so far we like carribbean cruise.

Thanks,

Aspire

Uh, do you mean "Royal Caribbean Cruise Line"? Alaska and the Caribbean are in different directions... :o

If you're on a really tight budget, then go for the internal room, as you'll be spending a lot of time on deck, looking at scenery (or in the windowed portions of the ship). But be aware that inside cabins...all ship cabins, for that matter..are pretty small, and you might feel pretty crowded. I personally always have to have some natural light coming in from outside, so choose a window; obstructed view is fine for me, just so there's some natural light.

As to "what to expect"...you should read through several of the threads here, and on the "Ask a question" board; you'll find plenty of threads that talk about what you'll do on the cruise. There is also an "Alaska" board where you can learn about the various ports you'll be visiting.

Have a great cruise!

I agree, if your budget is tight, you may want to go for the less expensive cabin and spend more money on fun excursions in Alaska. If you can do a land tour, or on your own prior to departing from Whittier going south to Vancouver you will really have a great Alaskan experience. Denali is awesome, as is Anchorage.

Hello,

Thanks,

Aspire

Aspire, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I first wanted to mention that a great area on cruise critic for information on Alaska is in the Alaska port of call section. This link will take you there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

We have taken many Alaska cruises. If your budget permits I would get a room with a window as it will give you some views of what you will pass and allow light to come into your room. However, if this is not within your budget, pass on the window and use the money for shore excursions.

Keith

I just booked am Alaska cruise for the end of May on the Star Princess. Since we like balconies, we booked one.

One thing for that time of year, there is a reason that the prices are a bit cheaper. It is very early in the season, and the weather will reflect that.

As has been mentioned, it is a question of whether you really need to save money one place to have more in another. If the cost of the oceanview room means that you have to eliminate an excursion, then I would go for the inside cabin.

Other than that, it is a matter of preference. Some people feel that they are only in the cabin to change clothes and sleep, and are up on deck or in common spaces that have windows the rest of the time. Others like to have the oceanview or verandah so when they are in their cabins, they can look out. There certainly are times when you are cruising around Alaska that there are things to see, though when you are steaming from say Whittier to Skagway, you are going to be far enough out to sea that the view is (realistically) minimal. When you are between Skagway and Juneau and Ketchikan as well as in the Inside Passage, there are things to see out the windows. I think you will likely be on deck if you are in one of the major glacier viewing areas (Glacier Bay, Hubbard, etc.)

We had a verandah, as I always do, but in late June (2010) it was so cold outside that we hardly ever used it, and an oceanview would have been just as good. Nobody can predict the weather far in advance, so we took our chance. That doesn't seem to be one of your options, so it is not a problem. Be aware that it might be quite cool out on deck.

Some of the excursions are well worth the cost, so keep that in mind as well. We sailed out of Seward and took the Kenai Fjords Tour, but there are similar tours out of Whittier on small boats (100 passengers or so) that get very close to the glaciers, and give you sights and memories that will last forever. Then in Juneau we had a fantastic whale watch, and then a glacier trek, and in Ketchikan we took a floatplane to Misty Fjord. Those are some things I would really try to incorporate.

It has already been suggested, but I second the motion to spend a lot of time on the Alaska Port of Call board, and get a good feel for excursions you want to do, and who to use for them. We did all of our excursions privately which is a little cheaper and gives you more flexibility -- the earlier you make a reservation the more you get to pick the time for your trip and can make the most of the various ports. Though the tour companies are not busy now, and may take a little time to get back to you, you can start working on it now.

I just booked am Alaska cruise for the end of May on the Star Princess. Since we like balconies, we booked one.

One thing for that time of year, there is a reason that the prices are a bit cheaper. It is very early in the season, and the weather will reflect that.

Best kept secret about Alaska in May: it's the driest month! I went in May 2010, and the worst weather we had was pulling out of port in Seattle. When we got to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, I had to take my jacket off, because I was getting too warm. So don't let the weather deter you!

As an Alaskan, I can tell you that unless you live in a northern tier state, Alaska in May will be cold to you. True, when the sum comes out in May, it can get warm, but warm in Alaska is typically high 60's low 70's.

So, keep that in mind. A balcony may seem like a wonderful thing, but if you are too cold to enjoy it, it is a waste.

As for the views, The view from the deck will be a lot better than the view from a balcony. The vistas in Alaska are HUGE. And no balcony is really going to show that to you. Bring along a good coat and a hat go spend your time on deck with you mouth open gaping at the scenary.

M

Archived