Embarkation at Port Everglades

Isklaar

Our cruise documents don't give any pier number or general guidance as to where the ship will be when we embark. This is only our second cruise, the first time we departed from Barcelona on the Spirit and we had SS transfers, plus the documents gave more detail about where the ship would be.

We're doing our own flights and transport this time, so we'll be arriving at the port by cab or hotel car service, is it reasonable to assume that the driver will know where to locate the ship once at the port, or do we need to get some more detailed informations from SS?

Oh and a query about embarkation time.

It says two different times in the cruise docs - one says 2pm, the other says 1pm. Hotel check out is 12 noon so we had been planning to be at the port for around 12.30pm, we just assumed that the embarkation time would be 12noon because it was that time in Barcelona. So the later time has put a little spanner into the works.

How are the terminal facilities at PE and will they even alllow us into the terminal building before embarkation begins? I don't fancy waiting outdoors for a couple of hours.

I am just SO excited this time, now that I know what to expect. I was rather anxious before our first cruise because it was all unknown.

You're welcome. Regarding the terminal, there are 5 or 6 terminals in the port. Although we are only 20 minutes from PE, we have only sailed from there once. We were on a Princess cruise and the terminal they use is a dump! (It is so bad, it embarasses me as a local resident.) Hopefully you will be in one of the other terminals. I understand some of the newer terminals are much nicer. And, the weather is usually very nice this time of year. If you have to wait outside, it shouldn't be much of a hardship.

You're welcome. Regarding the terminal, there are 5 or 6 terminals in the port. Although we are only 20 minutes from PE, we have only sailed from there once. We were on a Princess cruise and the terminal they use is a dump! (It is so bad, it embarasses me as a local resident.) Hopefully you will be in one of the other terminals. I understand some of the newer terminals are much nicer. And, the weather is usually very nice this time of year. If you have to wait outside, it shouldn't be much of a hardship.

I am pretty sure Silversea would not use a terminal that is a dump......;)

Rest easy on that one. I've been in and out of there several times and always in very nice terminals.

Have been in and out of FLL on numerous occasions with SS and Regent. All of the cab drivers know where the different ships are berthed. Have no fear. Princess and Seabourn generally use the piers closer to the bridge, while SS and Regent generally use the more central area( one of two terminals in that area). We've always been able to board any time after noon, but the staterooms are not available until @ 1430. There have been times when there have been delays due to customs and immigration with the folks getting off. At FLL they insist that all luggage be in the terminal before they let any of the pax off. Once off, the SS reps do a very good job of getting folks on their way. If you're doing your own transportation there are always cabs available and the airport is only @ 10 minute drive from the port.

Just to be on the safe side and to be more relaxed, I'd ask for a 1pm check out at my hotel. Might even add a shoreside lunch on to my time schedule. Of course that depends on where you are staying and the quality of the restaurant. We generally prefer to board after 2:00pm because lunch on board the ship can feel a little rushed to us. The way to get around that is to choose the Main Dining room....always an island of peace at lunch time. As to the port terminal, it will be modern and perfectly nice. The SS people will be efficient and welcoming. No matter how you decide to approach the boarding process, it will be effortless. You'll have a great cruise from start to finish!

I would ask for late check out now (e-mail) and if you do not receive satisfactory reply, ask again at check-in. The terminal will be fine, but no matter how nice it is not pleasant to wait until called. And I would use the later boarding time given as your guide.

A phone call to room service works the minute you enter your suite.

Archived