P&O Cancelled Cruises.

PRINCESSTHE BEST

Hi Are you on the P&O D115 roll call under a different alias? We are getting together Crow's Nest about 11am on the22nd :-)

I'm not a member of the p and o forums but will try and make it along :)

Btw Adonia is scheduled to arrive Falmouth 7/8th jan :) will try and remember to confirm closer to the time :)

I'm sorry, but not so sure what tic means?!

Well could it be ............ Tongue-in-cheek? do you think:rolleyes:

Irony is somtimes lost in the written word!

Gan Canny

Dai

We boarded Adonia in Athens on the 22 November (D113) expecting to disembark at Trieste on the 6 December after visiting Venice on the 5 December.

We were not long onboard before passengers were informed that instead of disembarking at Trieste, we would be staying in Venice overnight and flying back to the UK from there on the 6 December.

There were workmen and divers working all day and all night on Adonia on the 5 and 6 December.

As passengers for the next cruise were now being flown out to Venice, as what was to have been their second port of call, after departing from Trieste then it allowed workmen the 7 December as well to carry on working on the ship.

By the sounds of it whatever was wrong has still not been fixed.

Just got my quarterly dividend cheque from Carnival.....Fantastic!

Just keep on cruisin' :D:D:D:D

Really ? Only got a tenner or so when I had them , just the 100 for the free obc..

I bought at £20 and sold at £30 each - now that WAS fantastic for a £2k outlay!

(And they haven't been £30 since)

Really ? Only got a tenner or so when I had them , just the 100 for the free obc..

yes it was only 10cents a share in 2010. This was increased to 25cents a share from March 2011 - just after you sold out!!

So for 100 shares, 25 cents is $25 which is £15.91 for the divi paid yesterday.

Still you made a nice profit.

Brian

We booked to go on this cruise, Adonia D201, when we were onboard Oceana earlier this year.... We got a good price, decent grade cabin, extra OBC, we were really looking forward to experiencing the 'small ship ambiance'.

We duly booked time off work, not allways easy as we both have very demanding jobs, booked our train tickets to Gatwick, booked our pre-flight hotel at Gatwick and our return train journey from Southampton, all paid for in advance.

Today I received a letter from carnival, whoopie I thought... an upgrade? no, your cruise is dead....it is no more..... it's an ex-cruise...

I know that they must have considered it absolutely necessary to do this but talk about short notice..........

We have another cruise booked in March on Azura and no doubt we will cruise again with P and O but this is not good, we were looking forward to this as a tonic for the stress and hassle we both have to deal with in our working lives, now we have to try and book something else when all we want to do is start packing for what we had been looking forward to....

Let's hope P and O do the right thing.

We booked to go on this cruise, Adonia D201, when we were onboard Oceana earlier this year.... We got a good price, decent grade cabin, extra OBC, we were really looking forward to experiencing the 'small ship ambiance'.

We duly booked time off work, not allways easy as we both have very demanding jobs, booked our train tickets to Gatwick, booked our pre-flight hotel at Gatwick and our return train journey from Southampton, all paid for in advance.

Today I received a letter from carnival, whoopie I thought... an upgrade? no, your cruise is dead....it is no more..... it's an ex-cruise...

I know that they must have considered it absolutely necessary to do this but talk about short notice..........

We have another cruise booked in March on Azura and no doubt we will cruise again with P and O but this is not good, we were looking forward to this as a tonic for the stress and hassle we both have to deal with in our working lives, now we have to try and book something else when all we want to do is start packing for what we had been looking forward to....

Let's hope P and O do the right thing.

I sympathise with you, i really do. If you are retired and can travel at anytime a cancellation like this is no big deal. But when you work in a high pressure job (and i do), you need to be able to make your holiday plans with confidence and hope that if the worst comes to the worst, the travel company will support you. As i have said many times now, i had 2 Oriana cruises cancelled this month due to the refit and a 2013 cruise cancelled because it wasn't selling as well as P&O thought it should. I too had booked hotels, car parking, etc. I have not received any compensation or future cruise credit. I have one more cruise already booked with P&O in April, after that i'm done with the company. There are lots of exciting places in this world to visit and a lot better cruise lines to take you there.

P&O's present arrogant attitude reminds me of Sainsburys and M&S, in the 80's their arrogance and ignoring of the competition and the treatment their customers led to those 2 companies loosing their premier positions in the market, and it has taken them a long time to recover.

We fell out with P&O in 2009, and have met many other passengers on other lines that left P&O for similar reasons.

Richard

yes it was only 10cents a share in 2010. This was increased to 25cents a share from March 2011 - just after you sold out!!

So for 100 shares, 25 cents is $25 which is £15.91 for the divi paid yesterday.

Still you made a nice profit.

Brian

Yes I did Brian, they haven't been around £30 since!! I'll try not to loose any sleep over a few £16 divi's :)

P&O's present arrogant attitude reminds me of Sainsburys and M&S, in the 80's their arrogance and ignoring of the competition and the treatment their customers led to those 2 companies loosing their premier positions in the market, and it has taken them a long time to recover.

We fell out with P&O in 2009, and have met many other passengers on other lines that left P&O for similar reasons.

Richard

Totally agree about their arrogance, but we still cruise with them as we still like the product.

But, if any problem occurs you can 100% predict their response before you contact them. They are uncompromising and have no worries about losing long term customers. We and I'm sure others on here have been downright lied to at times, they are the masters of bullsh*t but that is their philosophy and if you are not ready to accept that, you should do what you have done and walk. Perhaps we will do the same at some point.

Just back from D114 on Adonia having had a brilliant time.

Adonia was an excellent ship as was the itinerary, it was so good wandering round Venice on a sunny but cold winters day with no major crowds to cope with. We saw things we had never seen before on previous visits simply by being able to stare without jostling. This was the pattern for all the other ports. Only down side was the short days, most evenings we sailed away at dusk.

The weather was good (most of the time), many days sunny 18 degrees t-shirt weather. We missed 2 port visits because of bad weather and as they were tender ports we could see from the sea state why they had to be cancelled! We had a bumpy 20 minutes in a tender at Split waiting for a lull in the weather to get back on board, having experienced that we were totally understanding.

It appears that the problem with the ship is related to an accident when a tug boat cable broke and wrapped round the propellor. Some of the damage was repaired in Venice by divers but apparently some prop shaft bearings were also damaged in the incident and they can only be sorted in dry dock.

Pity next years european fly-cruises have been cancelled but they are so weather dependant that it would be easy to see major disruption if they had a period of bad weather. Additionally the flights were not of the normal fly-cruise standard but at the prices we could understand why. They were still comfotable and did the job amply. P&O had obviously had input into in-flight catering as it was quite accpetable compared with some of the stuff you get, the afternoon tea of scones and jam was very good.

We would definately have gone again as a fairly cheap before Christmas break.

Richard

Couldnt agree with you more. Still havent had the letter from P&O, only notification via my TA. And for those of you who say well you wont get a letter from P&O if you book through a TA, not so. You get travel documents directly from them, and they have a legal obligation to contact you directly with regards cancellation.

Rang P&O therefore on Saturday with regards compensation for the monies we've paid out on taxi fares to and from airports, extra luggage allowance. Their response 'When we get your letter we will consider it and see if there is any merit in your claim'. No apology, no consideration for the fact we are out of pocket, nothing but arrogant disregard.

Wont be putting any money their way in future.

Totally agree about their arrogance, but we still cruise with them as we still like the product.

But, if any problem occurs you can 100% predict their response before you contact them. They are uncompromising and have no worries about losing long term customers. We and I'm sure others on here have been downright lied to at times, they are the masters of bullsh*t but that is their philosophy and if you are not ready to accept that, you should do what you have done and walk. Perhaps we will do the same at some point.

I recently wrote to them about a noisy cabin and was offered £200 compensation immediately, the way it was to be paid required one further letter but i felt they compromised and were fair about the matter.

I recently wrote to them about a noisy cabin and was offered £200 compensation immediately, the way it was to be paid required one further letter but i felt they compromised and were fair about the matter.

A complaint about a little bit of noise in a cabin is a bit different to dealing with a ship load of passengers who have just lost their holiday, hotel booking and car parking charges. P&O will fight every step of the way to keep compensation to a minimum. A generous payout would spread like wildfire on these boards and they would be inundated with claims.

I just got back from the Adonia yesterday PM.The intinerary for which I booked was changed, Trieste was out and the vessel stayed in Venice. She was under going under water repairs when we arrivred on 6th Dec and they were finished on the 7th in time to sail at midnight.I asked the Executive Purser, on our arrival , about the cancellation of Trieste and he said P&O knew 3 weeks previously Adonis would not be there on the 6th.I had not been informed by either P&O or my TA.I asked him to contact head office to verify the details, Iam still awaiting his reply.I have been on the vessel before , as the Royal Princess, and as previuosly stated she is wearing rather badly.The first sight on the balcony was paper and wooden wedges being used to stop the partitions rattling.The hull looked a bit shoddy around the anchor cats and other areas were looking for a lick of paint.The cabin was clean and acceptable but again the periferies were showing signs of wear.The other fiasco was the tendering, Split was a docking port, but the captian decided against docking preferring to tender. The tours got off, naturally, with a few independents, then at 1000 it was decided that conditions had worsened so no more passengers were allowed off.Although the tenders continued the traverse back and forward into Split harbour picking up stray independents and the tours.Lezbos and Santorini were missed ,only Nauplion was tendered successfully.No additional entertainment was provided during these enforced "sea days" except on the last day a movie was shown at 1130 in the morning.

The entertainment was patchy,2 after evening dinner speakers Peter Purves of Blue Peter fame and Lord Steel(enough said about old politicians) A comedein, reasonable a singer , who has seen better days , a classical pianist , very good.Then the Adonia show group who were brilliant.6 production shows, 1 play and a radio play with a future star in their lady singer who did a show on her own.

Having sailed over 40 times with all of the major cruise lines this cruise has to rank as one of the worst and the chances of P&O ever getting my money again is remote.I will be sending a missive to P&O head office but I will doubt if the reply will be satisfactory. Hey Ho back to Costa then.

.I asked the Executive Purser, on our arrival , about the cancellation of Trieste and he said P&O knew 3 weeks previously Adonis would not be there on the 6th.I had not been informed by either P&O or my TA.I asked him to contact head office to verify the details, Iam still awaiting his reply. /quote]

This is the sort of problem I was referring to in my previous post - they don't feel that they have to tell the passengers about itinerary changes.

A couple of years ago in the Caribbean they changed the port order around at the last minute causing chaos to passengers with independant tours booked and all they said at Reception was 'we reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time'. They had known about this change for 2 weeks and just not bothered to inform anyone - the first we learned was a note in the cabin when we embarked. .

We were on Eclipse in October, and we experienced strong head winds on the way home, this is from my review.

After dinner we were walking past the shops with some of our dinner companions when the captain again made an announcement. He explained that as we had slowed down so much, we would arrive in La Coruna in the late afternoon rather than mid morning, and we were due to leave at 9pm. He then annouced that we would not be going to La Coruna, and our reaction was that we would be going home somewhat slowly. He the said that with the co-operation of the Miami headquarters, and the port of Vigo, we would be docking in Vigo mid morning, and leaving early evening. We were delighted, as were many as they had not been to Vigo. Others, of course complained, but we did not fancy La Coruna in the dark with lots of places closed. Full marks to Celebrity for organising this at such short notice, other lines were cancelling ports completely.

Docked as scheduled in Vigo, on a bright sunny day. Despite some moans, many seemed to enjoy our last port, the shops and restaurants must have welcomed this surprise visit by 3000 passengers, including around 35 children and 235 Americans

Wonder what P&O wold have done!

Richard

ADAMMARA THe actions of Celberity are to applauded, unlike P&O Adonia.We had 3 "sea days" due to not being able to tender , as I have said, but no effort was made to go into another port nearby.There is a plethora of islands in the Eastern Med that would have relished receiving a boat load of visitors.The final insult was at Santorini, we circumnavigated the island,"quote the Captain To see what we had missed" then spent 18 hours crawling across the Med heading to Pireaus, where we arrived early.

We're not long back from Azura's Caribbean pre-Christmas cruise. We were sorry not to have been able to dock at Grenada due to a 'heavy swell' (we didn't see it!) and an approaching rain squall (didn't get that either!). However, the pilot had already boarded Azura prior to the captain's announcement so he obviously expected us to dock with no problems.

This was our third Caribbean cruise and we have missed at least one port on every single cruise, each time seemingly for no really good reason that anyone could understand BUT the captains make the decisions, albeit we've always heard safety of the ship mentioned prior to safety of the passengers.

We are very suspicious but will get no refund of what we paid even if the shipping lines get a refund of port dues for not docking!

This was our third Caribbean cruise and we have missed at least one port on every single cruise, each time seemingly for no really good reason that anyone could understand BUT the captains make the decisions, albeit we've always heard safety of the ship mentioned prior to safety of the passengers.

We are very suspicious but will get no refund of what we paid even if the shipping lines get a refund of port dues for not docking!

We have been on 12 Caribbean cruises, 8 with P&O, and I can only recall missing one port. Either you have been unlucky or we have been very lucky. On the occassions we have had an itinerary change we have always been notified in advance.

I do agree with a previous poster that unnotified changes can be very inconvenient and also disappointing.

On the subject of port dues, I understand that it costs as much to keep a ship at sea as does in port dues, although I don't know that for a fact.

We were on Eclipse in October, and we experienced strong head winds on the way home, this is from my review.

After dinner we were walking past the shops with some of our dinner companions when the captain again made an announcement. He explained that as we had slowed down so much, we would arrive in La Coruna in the late afternoon rather than mid morning, and we were due to leave at 9pm. He then annouced that we would not be going to La Coruna, and our reaction was that we would be going home somewhat slowly. He the said that with the co-operation of the Miami headquarters, and the port of Vigo, we would be docking in Vigo mid morning, and leaving early evening. We were delighted, as were many as they had not been to Vigo. Others, of course complained, but we did not fancy La Coruna in the dark with lots of places closed. Full marks to Celebrity for organising this at such short notice, other lines were cancelling ports completely.

Docked as scheduled in Vigo, on a bright sunny day. Despite some moans, many seemed to enjoy our last port, the shops and restaurants must have welcomed this surprise visit by 3000 passengers, including around 35 children and 235 Americans

Wonder what P&O wold have done!

Richard

The Adonia is having to miss tomorrows port of la goulette due to forecasted strong wind and high swells so instead of just bobbing around for the day we are staying in Malta (where we are today) for tomorrow, staying for the new years eve fireworks in Malta and then leaving at 6 am on the 1st... So basically 48 hours in Malta which I think is fantastic!! Well done to P&O for arranging this at such late notice!! And we get fireworks!!!!

Archived