Your First Glimpse of Your Ship!

will773

We used to live in Jersey City, overlooking the Hudson. Primarily every weekend -- but ocassionaly during the week - cruise ships would enter the harbour on their way to either the West Side Cruise Terminal or to the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn. We'd also walk down on ocassion to the Paulus Hook area and could see the RCL and X cruises heading over to Bayonne.

Every time we saw the ships steaming in or out, we wanted to be on board to celebrate ... and finally had the chance in 2009 and 2010 on a competitor cruise line going to Bermuda from New York (West Side Cruise Terminal). Going through the Holland Tunnel, and then up the West Side Highway, we'd see the normal harbour traffic as well as commuter ferries, but we'd get our thrill when we caught the first glimpse of "OUR" ship (usually docked next to two other cruise ships as well).

If only we had taken pictures ... RATS!!

Michael and Silke

We used to live in Jersey City, overlooking the Hudson. Primarily every weekend -- but ocassionaly during the week - cruise ships would enter the harbour on their way to either the West Side Cruise Terminal or to the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn. We'd also walk down on ocassion to the Paulus Hook area and could see the RCL and X cruises heading over to Bayonne.

Every time we saw the ships steaming in or out, we wanted to be on board to celebrate ... and finally had the chance in 2009 and 2010 on a competitor cruise line going to Bermuda from New York (West Side Cruise Terminal). Going through the Holland Tunnel, and then up the West Side Highway, we'd see the normal harbour traffic as well as commuter ferries, but we'd get our thrill when we caught the first glimpse of "OUR" ship (usually docked next to two other cruise ships as well).

If only we had taken pictures ... RATS!!

Michael and Silke

There's nothing like pulling up and seeing YOUR ship! :)

Our first cruise was in 2004 and on the Majesty. At the time I was amazed how large the ship was. We were never on a cruise before so we had no idea what to expect. I remember waking up at the Marriott and seeing her across the harbor and my mouth dropped...wow look at the size of that thing.:o While driving across the bridge to the port, I felt like a kid with my eyes glued to the window of the taxi. My wife said look at you...your like a kid on Christmas morning. Our most recent cruise was on Allure and now I am like...hey the Majesty is a lifeboat for Allure.....:D We still cruise on the Majesty every so often for a quickie and I still like her too. !!

Our first cruise was in 2004 and on the Majesty. At the time I was amazed how large the ship was. We were never on a cruise before so we had no idea what to expect. I remember waking up at the Marriott and seeing her across the harbor and my mouth dropped...wow look at the size of that thing.:o While driving across the bridge to the port, I felt like a kid with my eyes glued to the window of the taxi. My wife said look at you...your like a kid on Christmas morning. Our most recent cruise was on Allure and now I am like...hey the Majesty is a lifeboat for Allure.....:D We still cruise on the Majesty every so often for a quickie and I still like her too. !!

The Allure is truly massive!

p.s. We're practically neighbors....well close enough! :D

Not exactly "first glimpse" but here are pics right before boarding the Monarch and the Radiance for the first time on either........The excitement level is always very high right before boarding any ship for me. :)

Monarch

monarch-2.jpg

Radiance

radiance.jpg

i remember hearing that the monarch of the seas was really small so i was pleasantly surprised when i seen it ..this was our first cruise so i had nothing to compare to!!

even the smallest ships are amazing in size when you have nothing to compare them to or have never been that close to a cruise ship :)

my first cruise was on a ship even much smaller than Monarch and I was overwhelmed when I first seen her.

Wow! That's an AWESOME picture!

What makes it an even more awesome picture is I can see my first ever cruise cabin that photo. If you remember the bridge wing is on deck 10, go down to decks and back 5 balconies you get to 8542 I think it was, the cabin/ship that got us hooked on cruising.

Archived