Paging recent disembarkers from Solstice TA, Re: Blu

PS90

At the risk of completely over-saturating this issue, I am just wondering what the dress code was on Blu for Formal Nights, on the most recent sailings on Solstice. :o

Just for background, we sail on her in a few weeks.

At the risk of completely over-saturating this issue, I am just wondering what the dress code was on Blu for Formal Nights, on the most recent sailings on Solstice. :o

Smart casual.

Smart casual.

Were you on the cruise or just commenting what policy is because apparently a couple of the ships are not following the policy and requiring formal. That, I believe is what the OP is looking for...It would be nice to know so this question can be put to bed.

Just off the Solstice TA yesterday. Celebrity apparently forgot to tell the staff in Blu that it was Smart Casual every night. I know of two fellow passengers who were handed ill-fitting jackets on the first formal night when they showed up for dinner in nice, smart casual dress. The second formal night (not three as we had been told beforehand) was pretty dressy all over the ship; Blu was no exception.

The staff in Blu was, for the most part, outstanding, as was the food. We'd do AQ for Blu again in a heartbeat.

This is from the Celebrity Website

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Now if the ships are not following the company policy, it is anybody's guess what the requirement will be.

This is from the Celebrity Website

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Now if the ships are not following the company policy, it is anybody's guess what the requirement will be.

We are aware of the written policy, there was a large thread on this last week. As per the previous post, its obvious they didn't get the message on the Solstice and from last weeks thread Elcipse.

Here's the thread from last week ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518615

Just off the Solstice TA yesterday. Celebrity apparently forgot to tell the staff in Blu that it was Smart Casual every night. I know of two fellow passengers who were handed ill-fitting jackets on the first formal night when they showed up for dinner in nice, smart casual dress. The second formal night (not three as we had been told beforehand) was pretty dressy all over the ship; Blu was no exception.

The staff in Blu was, for the most part, outstanding, as was the food. We'd do AQ for Blu again in a heartbeat.

Returned from the Soltice 2 weeks ago and you are absolutely right. I was surprised to see them offer the jackets as we were told it was smart casual on formal nights.

Loved Blu! It was the only thing in AQ that was worth the extra fare. It was a definate ten out of ten!

So from your comments, we know that Solstice is no longer following Celebrity Company policies. So what will they be doing in a few weeks when the OP boards? I suggest that it is anyone's guess as past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance on a renegade ship.

how is it put to rest seeing half the ships are following one policy and the other half not?

I took it as tongue-in-cheek.

Best bet is to bring your own jacket and tie and be done with it. You can always ask once you get aboard.

I know that this doesn't address the difference between policy and reality but just go prepared for either scenario. Not that big of a problem IMHO.

I took it as tongue-in-cheek.

Best bet is to bring your own jacket and tie and be done with it. You can always ask once you get aboard.

I know that this doesn't address the difference between policy and reality but just go prepared for either scenario. Not that big of a problem IMHO.

It will be a problem as people are now specifically booking and paying extra for Aqua Class so they don't have to dress formal. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for all the replies.

It is a little annoying if Solstice continues to defy the company policy. So far, for anecdotal reports of S-class ships at least, compliance with the company policy seems to be 50/50. I know if only half my employees did what I asked them to, I would be thinking about some serious employee "retraining".

Personally, I booked AQ before this change happened, so I can't say that I booked it solely for the lack of formal nights, but I was certainly happy when the change occurred. At this point, I have pretty much figured out my space for packing, and a jacket isn't going to fit.

So, now I have to figure out how to pack a jacket, or risk it without one. I'm thinking I will just have to risk wearing a lame, Celebrity-issue jacket...

Just off Silhouette on Dec 12. Everyone in BLU had jackets for the three fromal nights. There were also a lot of tuxedos.

Glad I brought a suit - would have felt out of place in smart casual.

I'm not quite sure what's going on if this is true, considering that we have had at least 4 or 5 posters say that Blu was always Smart Casual on Silhouette on the trip just before yours.

Did the majority of people just decide to wear suits, or was Formal dress being enforced? Thanks.

It will be a problem as people are now specifically booking and paying extra for Aqua Class so they don't have to dress formal. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Agreed. But again, in the apparent absence of strict adherence to policy:

1- Be comfortable in your own jacket (if for whatever reason you are forced to wear one)

2- Wear some heap of fabric they hand you and be embarrassed or uncomfortable.

3- Be forced to eat somewhere else.

I'll take the easy way out. I'm bringing a suit. If I need it, I wear it. From reading the endless threads on dining attire in MDR vs. Blu vs. specialty restaurant, I'm covered...Pun intended.:)

Agreed. But again, in the apparent absence of strict adherence to policy:

1- Be comfortable in your own jacket (if for whatever reason you are forced to wear one)

2- Wear some heap of fabric they hand you and be embarrassed or uncomfortable.

3- Be forced to eat somewhere else.

I'll take the easy way out. I'm bringing a suit. If I need it, I wear it. From reading the endless threads on dining attire in MDR vs. Blu vs. specialty restaurant, I'm covered...Pun intended.:)

I totally agree with you here, except that I would choose option #2. And although I might be uncomfortable in a "hand-out" jacket, I certainly won't be embarrassed, since I would technically not have done anything wrong. Ultimately, if formal nights are enforced, then that means the maitre d' is in the wrong, not me.

I'm not quite sure what's going on if this is true, considering that we have had at least 4 or 5 posters say that Blu was always Smart Casual on Silhouette on the trip just before yours.

Did the majority of people just decide to wear suits, or was Formal dress being enforced? Thanks.

Numerous posts from Silhouette last couple of weeks indicating smart casual and lots of people dressed that way...

Just off Silhouette on Dec 12. Everyone in BLU had jackets for the three fromal nights. There were also a lot of tuxedos.

Glad I brought a suit - would have felt out of place in smart casual.

We just off the Equinox on the 14 day TA, same comment. Don't know if they would have allowed smart casual, but I would have felt VERY out of place if not dressed up. I wore a blazer and slacks and was fine. Lots of tuxs, but maybe that was because of the TA crossing.

Maybe if it's the Caribbean it might be more relaxed.

There is no enforced "formal" dress in Blu. This is from their website:

If anyone has a problem with this dress, I would print it out and hand it to the Maitre'd.

You DO NOT have to dress in formal wear, and this IS one of the benefits of sailing in Blu. And don't let anyone tell you that you should be dressed any differently than these guidelines if that is how you want to dress. No one should "issue" you a jacket and frankly I call BS on this happening... as I've never ever seen this happen on a Celebrity cruise. I have seen it on HAL. It happened to my father.

There is no enforced "formal" dress in Blu. This is from their website:

If anyone has a problem with this dress, I would print it out and hand it to the Maitre'd.

You DO NOT have to dress in formal wear, and this IS one of the benefits of sailing in Blu. And don't let anyone tell you that you should be dressed any differently than these guidelines if that is how you want to dress. No one should "issue" you a jacket and frankly I call BS on this happening... as I've never ever seen this happen on a Celebrity cruise. I have seen it on HAL. It happened to my father.

If you had read the previous posts and threads you would have found out that apparently everyone on this board knows what the dress code is in Blu except the crew aboard a couple of the ships. Showing them the cruise contract or or anything from the web site does no good they still demand you wear a jacket so your suggestion does not work.

Archived