Favorite/ Not Favorite Caribbean Island(s) That Carnival Serves

NHNEV2003

After two western Caribbean cruises, we're looking for an eastern or southern Caribbean (out of San Juan) Carnival cruise for our next trip.

Can you post your favorites/ not favorites, and why.

Also, please note if a particular ship is a factor as well.

Thanks for all the great info provided on this site!!

My experience is limited eastern, but I really liked San Juan and Grand Turk..... Also anything with Half Moon Cay is a BIG plus IMO.

I've heard nothing but great stuff about Antigua and Tortola as well, though I've never been there and have no plans to go... yet....

Favorites: Beautiful, peaceful.... blue water that goes on forever....

Eastern Caribbean: Grand Turk for sure as well as Half Moon Key.

Southern Caribbean: Barbados

Western Caribbean: Roatan

Least favorite: (Like them all but if forced to choose)

St. Martin

San Juan

St. Thomas

Why? San Juan is just too big and too busy. (I still like it but it isn't a fave.) St. Thomas is just too commercial... kind of like a dirty little secret. St. Martin... just was never impressed with it.

The southern islands......awesome! Can't wait to get back in March.

When we sailed Victory it was seven islands in seven days including Dominica which is absolutely spectacular. Too bad CCL doesn't stop there anymore.

The Miracle 8 dayer with four sea days and three of our very favorite islands:

1) St Lucia is our favorite. Beautiful Island with great beaches, black sand included, very good snorkeling at Anse Cochon and Anse Chasenet. Jalouise and the Pitons. Throw in Marigot Bay and it just doesn't get any better.

2) St Kitts and spending the day at Cockleshell Beach. Nevis in the distance. The drive there down the spine of the island with the Caribbean Sea on one side and the Atlantic on the other.

3) Dominica is so much like Hawaii without the beaches. Volcanic paradise.

4) Barbados and more of the best beaches like The Crane and Accra. Want to return here the most! Did not see all we wanted to.

Least favorite? Can't think of one.

Least favorite: Nassau. (I know, it's not really Eastern Caribbean but it turns up on a lot of cruises.) Having said that, our visits there have been fine. We avoid the Straw Market at all costs, though.

Favorite: Tie between Half Moon Cay and Tortola. HMC has a gorgeous beach and, since it's a private island, your day is a "no brainer." As for Tortola, the British Virgin Islands need to be experienced. We did a catamaran sail and snorkel across the Drake Channel to Norman Island and it was one of the best sails I've ever done.

After two western Caribbean cruises, we're looking for an eastern or southern Caribbean (out of San Juan) Carnival cruise for our next trip.

Can you post your favorites/ not favorites, and why.

Also, please note if a particular ship is a factor as well.

Thanks for all the great info provided on this site!!

DW and I just did 8-day Southern on the Miracle. We loved Aruba and Grand Turk was a close second.

Roatan is another favorite, and we enjoyed St. Maarten.

Disliked Nassau.

Favourites: Grand Turk for sure as well as Half Moon Cay.

Grand Turk- the beach is so close, and perfect. I also really enjoyed the Margaritaville there. I think it is the best one.

Half Moon Cay- Amazing beach, and really so perfect a way to spend the day. If they could bottle it, it would be sold by prescription only. Extra Strength Relaxation.

We didn't enjoy PR, or any port in Jamaica.

The southern islands......awesome! Can't wait to get back in March.

When we sailed Victory it was seven islands in seven days including Dominica which is absolutely spectacular. Too bad CCL doesn't stop there anymore.

The Miracle 8 dayer with four sea days and three of our very favorite islands:

1) St Lucia is our favorite. Beautiful Island with great beaches, black sand included, very good snorkeling at Anse Cochon and Anse Chasenet. Jalouise and the Pitons. Throw in Marigot Bay and it just doesn't get any better.

2) St Kitts and spending the day at Cockleshell Beach. Nevis in the distance. The drive there down the spine of the island with the Caribbean Sea on one side and the Atlantic on the other.

3) Dominica is so much like Hawaii without the beaches. Volcanic paradise.

4) Barbados and more of the best beaches like The Crane and Accra. Want to return here the most! Did not see all we wanted to.

Least favorite? Can't think of one.

Carnival still stops in Dominica.It is one of our ports on our eight day

Victory cruise next week.

For southern / eastern itineraries:

Favorites are hard - way too many! I love lush tropical mountainous/hilly islands - Dominica, St Lucia, Barbados. Love the history and look of Old Town San Juan.

As far as least liked - St Martin, Dominican Republic, Aruba. Wasn't impressed with Grand Turk.

For western:

Faves would be Cozumel, Jamaica. Coz has lots of variety of things to do, Jamaica is beautiful.

Least liked - Cayman, Nassau. Boring to me.

it's interesting seeing how one person's fave is another person's most disliked port. It really depends on what you like to do, see, experience. Are you a beach person? A tour person? A do wild-and-crazy things person? A snorkeler/diver? A shopper? A history buff? Ports truly have their own personalities. :)

Least favorite: Nassau. (I know, it's not really Eastern Caribbean but it turns up on a lot of cruises.) Having said that, our visits there have been fine. We avoid the Straw Market at all costs, though.

Favorite: Tie between Half Moon Cay and Tortola. HMC has a gorgeous beach and, since it's a private island, your day is a "no brainer." As for Tortola, the British Virgin Islands need to be experienced. We did a catamaran sail and snorkel across the Drake Channel to Norman Island and it was one of the best sails I've ever done.

Kathy,

The catamaran sail & snorkel in Tortola...do you recall if that was a bumpy ride or not? We're going to be there in May & I'm trying to plan our day. Thanks for any help. :)

We LOVED the Victory out of San Juan, we are looking into doing that again soon!

Our favorite island was St. Maarten (we stayed on the Dutch side). The island was very easy going, everyone was very friendly but there were more pushy people asking you to rent loungers or do water sports here than the other islands in our experience.

St. Kitts-another favorite island, we took a tour with island safari tours by Troy which was great. We like this island in particular because we got to see so much of the island.

Our least favorite was Barbados- it was an okay island but all we did was a beach day and walked back into town. If we went here again we would want to do an island tour so that we could have a better experience.

Edited by agc291

• 5 years later...

St. Bart's - Just go...you'll see

Tobago - Pigeon Point National Park - you'll think you're in Tahiti

Barbados - 5 Star Catamaran Sail - feature local cuisine including flying fish and all you can drink

Virgin Gorda - Baths

Just some of our favorites