How to get to Miami

TriciaEMTB

I live in Orlando. Next year we are going to head to Miami for a cruise on the Glory.

I don't want to punish my car with a five hour drive to Miami.

I am looking at Cruise Connection but it looks like that's $200 for two people.

Would a rental car be more economical? What rental car agencies in Miami offer free port shuttle service? We would be doing two one way car rentals.

Would a rental car be more economical? What rental car agencies in Miami offer free port shuttle service? We would be doing two one way car rentals.

we rent a car everytime we go down, we use alamo and drop the car off at rental place and they drop us off at the ship and then we catch the shuttle after the cruise and it brings us back to the rental agency.

Where are you getting 5 hours? I drive to Orlando frequently. It's only 3 hours. Just take the turnpike South to 836 East. It's really not a bad drive at all.

Mapquest says it's 4 hours from my house to the port.. I've only been down there once, to take a patient to Jackson Memorial and it took us four and a half hours.

My car is older, with high mileage... I don't want to take it on anything over an hour. My cousin (my cruisemate) feels the same way about his car.

So a rental car it is.

Don't trust mapquest always...it says it is 12.5 hours to Miami from my house, but it is 731 miles...if you drive an average of 70-75mph that is not 12.5 hrs....so find the mileage and figure it from there.

Miami should only be about 3 hours from Orlando

We are about a hour south of Orlando and it takes us just about 4 hours to get to Ft. Lauderdale, but that's using I-95 and not the toll road.

Lets be factful though. Plant City is not south of Orlando. It's more like an hour west of Orlando, closer to Tampa. That extra hour of driving is due to you having to drive across the state in order to get to 95.

Well, this is a pretty funny thread.......

The OP is asking about getting to Miami and the cost of a rental car and/or Cruise Connection. Now, the way i look at things is, the time i am wasting getting to a car rental place and/or Cruise Connection, much less the waste of time waiting there or getting a car.

Then the discussion comes along about how long it takes from a variety of suburbs of Orlando. The best way would be the Turnpike, but then you incur a cost of tolls and gas whether you use your car or a rental. I really don't care about if the carrental or CC gives you a free ride to or from the cruise port, it's still a waste of time. It's really funny to me how people do not equate time equalling money. Seems like if people can save 50-100 dollars but wait hours somewhere, 'it's worth it'. I like, i mean love the convenience of packing up my own car, driving it wherever and knowing it's there and not worrying when someone is going to come pick me up much less messing with my luggage.

Then, it's all about the old car someone has. Your vehicle really needs to be maintained properly. It gets you places. The car is in bad shape however people can afford a cruise? Of course this is a generalization from my soapbox, a certain people find it more feasable to let their vehicles go to bad shape, yet can spend how much on clothing, makeup and hair products and even shoes, but yet that vehicle can't get you somewhere to show off all that stuff.....

So take the rental car, drive the 5 hours to the rental car drop off, wait for the shuttle to fill up, get to the pier and enjoy your cruise. I hope we all helped in making your decision! lol

Lets be factful though. Plant City is not south of Orlando. It's more like an hour west of Orlando, closer to Tampa. That extra hour of driving is due to you having to drive across the state in order to get to 95.

It's more like SW of Orlando via I-4. So you both were 1/2 right...lol....I wonder though, wouldn't it have been better to use 75 south and then Alligator Alley? Just wondering?

The OP is asking about getting to Miami and the cost of a rental car and/or Cruise Connection. Now, the way i look at things is, the time i am wasting getting to a car rental place and/or Cruise Connection, much less the waste of time waiting there or getting a car.

Then the discussion comes along about how long it takes from a variety of suburbs of Orlando. The best way would be the Turnpike, but then you incur a cost of tolls and gas whether you use your car or a rental. I really don't care about if the carrental or CC gives you a free ride to or from the cruise port, it's still a waste of time. It's really funny to me how people do not equate time equalling money. Seems like if people can save 50-100 dollars but wait hours somewhere, 'it's worth it'. I like, i mean love the convenience of packing up my own car, driving it wherever and knowing it's there and not worrying when someone is going to come pick me up much less messing with my luggage.

Then, it's all about the old car someone has. Your vehicle really needs to be maintained properly. It gets you places. The car is in bad shape however people can afford a cruise? Of course this is a generalization from my soapbox, a certain people find it more feasable to let their vehicles go to bad shape, yet can spend how much on clothing, makeup and hair products and even shoes, but yet that vehicle can't get you somewhere to show off all that stuff.....

So take the rental car, drive the 5 hours to the rental car drop off, wait for the shuttle to fill up, get to the pier and enjoy your cruise. I hope we all helped in making your decision! lol

I have known many people in human service jobs, who sacrifice a lot in lifetime incomes..to give the kind of care and tenderness and needed toughness they can in impossible situations..i already know this OP is a GEM ..These folks are way above standard..awesome people..who keep cars longer..pinch pennies this way their whole lives to be of service..this is the awesome primary gift to humanity they have..they finally learn to take extremely budget trips, that keep their work cars running smoothly,,and spend for travel to these trips using these rental cars for highway drives saving far more longevity and extending the money spent for the adequate tune ups in their well choosen 12-15 years each for longevity owned work vehicles..they MUST take affordable breaks and peel it all down to amazing budgets by study and frugality and still save for the big rainy day..they have budgets and live like you wouldn't believe in day to day clothes, home and etc luxuries as a gift to us all. Sometimes time is money saved in their lives and time enjoyed along the way with their friends and part of the trip.

They find their very acceptable dressy gowns in amazing places and spend 10 to 20 bucks outfitting themselves for formal night.

Next big expense Trica, IMHO for cruise clothes..better walking sandles or just cool moisture wick socks for your tennies..Love, sarah

I have known many people in human service jobs, who sacrifice a lot in lifetime incomes..to give the kind of care and tenderness and needed toughness they can in impossible situations..i already know this OP is a GEM ..These folks are way above standard..awesome people..who keep cars longer..pinch pennies this way their whole lives to be of service..this is the awesome primary gift to humanity they have..they finally learn to take extremely budget trips, that keep their work cars running smoothly,,and spend for travel to these trips using these rental cars for highway drives saving far more longevity and extending the money spent for the adequate tune ups in their well choosen 12-15 years each for longevity owned work vehicles..they MUST take affordable breaks and peel it all down to amazing budgets by study and frugality and still save for the big rainy day..they have budgets and live like you wouldn't believe in day to day clothes, home and etc luxuries as a gift to us all. Sometimes time is money saved in their lives and time enjoyed along the way with their friends and part of the trip.

They find their very acceptable dressy gowns in amazing places and spend 10 to 20 bucks outfitting themselves for formal night.

Next big expense Trica, IMHO for cruise clothes..better walking sandles or just cool moisture wick socks for your tennies..Love, sarah

Ok. Thank you for the insight, note taken!

Ok. Thank you for the insight, note taken!

Thank you for your kindness..I am long winded..but have been in awe of these friends in this group who have taught me in my lean years and freedom over money income choices... how to get as much out of life no matter what the bucks,,if at least in not extreme poverty,,,blessings of the season..:o:):)..sarah

I never said my car was broken down or in disrepair!

It's old with high miles, but runs great. It makes the half hour drive to and half hour drive from work three to six times a week with decent gas mileage. I would rather not put extra unnecessary miles on it.

My vacation is going to cost less than a thousand dollars when all expenses are added up. Nowhere do I know where to get a better car for that small amount of money, it isn't even a good down payment!

Plus for the vacation i am going to work a bunch of overtime to afford it. As an EMT I make less than ten dollars an hour... So yeah I drive an old car. I also wear stuff from Target and Walmart, use an old computer, have an old tv and no cool gaming systems. My cellphone service is discounted through work or I wouldn't have a smart phone.

I live within my means and what I choose to splurge on is really my business. As long as I'm not asking you to pay for it why do you care what I choose to spend my money on?

Amen, Tricia!!!

Your life, your choices. Period. End of story!!!

And by the way -- You EMTs don't get enough credit... Over the last 5 years, a number of your colleagues have been instrumental in saving my life and getting me to where I am today. For that, I thank them... and you!

I live around Winter Haven, FL and Mapquest shows 209 miles going down Hwy 27 and taking about 4 hrs. We shot across Hwy 60 over to the Turnpike and it took us just over 3 hrs and was a decent drive down. We are planning on arriving the day before and stay at LQ East and take the shuttle over to the port the next morning.

Don't let the negative reponses bother you. You don't have to justify anything to them. I have a car that is 4 yrs old with high mileage. I might even book a rental myself?:p

HHHMMM...ok again note was taken.

I don't care what YOU spend your money on. I was making a generalization. If you didn't put it on a public forum, y would not have had a chance to say anything.

As far as a negative comment, i disagree. It was a comment, if you take it as negative, that's on you.

sjn911 gave an explanation and i accepted that.

I just think it is funny sometimes how threads get all twisted out of shape. sorry to have bothered you and hope your vacation is a great one!

We flew into MCO last year to visit family in the Orlando area, and then drove one way to Miami, and dropped the car with Hertz to the Port of Miami/Downtown location. They have a shuttle to take you to the port. We were flying back out of FLL, but a few on the shuttle with us, were doing the return from MIA to MCO. During the time we rented there wasn't a one-way drop charge, and after just checking, a one day, one-way rental is less than $100.00. With gas and tolls its a little more than the price you gave, but I like the convenience factor.

I have taken the Cruise Connection bus several times, and highly recommend it. It sounds like the cost would be close to that of renting a car, but with none of the aggravations of driving. You could relax, enjoy the trip, and be dropped off right in front of the terminal.

Judge much? Op wasn't looking for advice on how to maintain her vehicle or her lifestyle, rather advice on the best way to travel to Miami from her home location. Your pseudo-psychiatrist couch can be better served elsewhere, I'm sure.

OP: Looks like from your starting point to your destination it would be a rental car that would best serve your needs.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Archived