Another Way for HAL to Cut Costs......

sail7seas

HEAR, HEAR! :D

The deep cleaning is usually done to eliminate smoking odors, and is not the same kind of decontamination procedures done for a Noro outbreak.

Thanks for the clarification. Deep cleaning sounded like "sanitization" to me.

I agree with others that I put faith in the housekeeping staff to know what does/doesn't need to be done.

I doubt very much whether HAL, or their parent Carnival Corp, need any assistance in dreaming up ways to cut costs or levy additional charges to cruisers.

They already seem to have mastered both. It is now really a case of what the traffic will bear.

we've noticed so many places HAL has trimmed the budget that it got me wondering if the bean counters have started to dream up a scheme where they'll start charging us for luggage handling, like the airlines. :eek:

I know..... I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas but I'd be shocked if they aren't already trying to find a way to get away with it.

I predict at some point in the (near ?) future, HAL will eliminate formal nights and at about the same time, they will announce that anyone who requires their luggage to be brought aboard for them, will be charged a fee. Anyone who can travel with 'carryon' that fits through the scanner, will not be charged.

Am I really 'over the top' now? :confused: :rolleyes:

I guess I don't consider charging a new fee, for say luggage handling or any service, cost cutting. To me that's just a company's way to increase revenue and, in many cases, nickeling and diming the customer to death. What I've seen over the years with HAL that amounts to cost cutting has been reduced staffing like doing away with the ship's bands and going to contract bands while also eliminating or limiting the venues where they play. The other example I've experienced or noticed was when HAL cut the cabin staffs back in around 2004. Those are just two off the top of my head and I'd guess there have been others or others that have escaped me but may have been noticed by other passengers.

Leveling new charges, when they apply to things that are presently provided at no additional cost to cruiser, is a cost cutter to the company, isn't it?

If they currently provide luggage handling as included in the cost of our cruise but at some start to charge for it, it is a cost cutter to them.

Leveling new charges, when they apply to things that are presently provided at no additional cost to cruiser, is a cost cutter to the company, isn't it?

If they currently provide luggage handling as included in the cost of our cruise but at some start to charge for it, it is a cost cutter to them.

Probably definition and semantics. :D

It was the 'abusers' who made for the last change in alcohol policy last time and most likely will be again. Of course, they don't like it when people lug aboard a case OR more of wine. If people used moderation and brought a bottle or two, they probably would remain fine with it. When people bring such excess, one has to think that policy is on it's way to changing. IMO If I ran the cruise line, I would have put a one bottle of wine pp limit in place long ago.

Moderation in all things seems to be a reasonable approach.

It was the 'abusers' who made for the last change in alcohol policy last time and most likely will be again. Of course, they don't like it when people lug aboard a case OR more of wine. If people used moderation and brought a bottle or two, they probably would remain fine with it. When people bring such excess, one has to think that policy is on it's way to changing. IMO If I ran the cruise line, I would have put a one bottle of wine pp limit in place long ago.

Agreed.... I can only imagine the horror stories!

A crew member last month said they regularly are given leftover bottles from passengers who's eyes were bigger than their livers...

I think, too, that it's important to note that the Corkage Fee (about $15/plus fees) is a nice little profit margin.

Taking out Purchasing expense, inventory expenses, waste, fees, etc... it's a nice little profit generator for the line. Not as much as a margin on an expensive bottle, but higher than the margin on a bucket of beer or an inexpensive bottle of wine.

My thoughts...

I enjoy cruising but I do NOT like the nickel and diming. My next cruise is likely to be an all inclusive one. The initial prices are higher but some include unlimited shore excursions, fine wine, airfare and tips. On my recent cruise, when added all up, I spent almost as much and I would if I bought an all-inclusive cruise.

There's no corkage fee if they drink the wine in their cabin. Many pour the wine into glasses and walk around the ship with it. When they are ready, they return to refill. No corkage fee; no liquor revenue to HAL.

I know others bring their wine to the dining room and pay the fee. I hope they also tip the wine stewards a bit here and there.

I enjoy cruising but I do NOT like the nickel and diming. My next cruise is likely to be an all inclusive one. The initial prices are higher but some include unlimited shore excursions, fine wine, airfare and tips. On my recent cruise, when added all up, I spent almost as much and I would if I bought an all-inclusive cruise.

Considering we book "S" and "SA" cabins, I agree we could sail deluxe lines for the same money.... maybe even less on some cruises.

We sail HAL because we love their crews and ships. For us, HAL is all about the people and that is why we return. We are starting to notice our prices go up but what we get for the higher rates is hard to identify.

We don't want to sail Seabourn or Silversea or Regent or we would be sailing them.

There's no corkage fee if they drink the wine in their cabin. Many pour the wine into glasses and walk around the ship with it. When they are ready, they return to refill.

My guess is that those are the same people who fall overboard, and get left behind on the piers... so, it all works out!:D

There's no corkage fee if they drink the wine in their cabin. Many pour the wine into glasses and walk around the ship with it. When they are ready, they return to refill. No corkage fee; no liquor revenue to HAL.

I know others bring their wine to the dining room and pay the fee. I hope they also tip the wine stewards a bit here and there.

underlining and italicizing mine

Can you cite a source for the underlined and italicized bit of the quote? Have officers with whom you associate told you this? If so, I'm appalled at their lack of discretion.

As someone who does bring wine aboard, I resent your implying that "many" fill their glasses and refill their glasses, while using venues on the ship where wine can be purchased. IME many people want to have wines that they know when they are onboard, whether that be in their cabin or in the dining room, or sitting in a lounge chair on the Promenade Deck, or standing on the Promenade Deck toasting the sunset.

I also think you are really stretching with the "I hope they also tip the wine stewards" -- to ME that sounds like you are suggesting that people who bring wine onboard and pay the corkage (which BTW includes a 15% service charge) are cheap, and are looking to stiff the staff.

For all you know, that person bringing aboard two cases of wine may be in the penthouse and hosting a party for a large group. That may be the entire supply of wine for 40 people for the entire voyage. You don't know, and you are making assumptions.

As someone who does carry wine onboard, I do not consider that I am abusing the policy. Last I read it, it said something like "bring as much wine as you wish".

HAL makes a good amount off us with shore excursions. It all balances -- some people never take a shore excursion through the ship. That costs HAL money but no one is saying that all pax must book shorex through HAL.

Classic apples and oranges comparison.

I'm sure when Hal implemented this bringing your own beverages. They figured

It was bringing a bottle of their favorite wine for a special occasion.

Or the wine lover that finds a bottle of wine in Barcelona or Rome while on their cruise.

Fast forward - Now it's people taking cabs to a Publix grocery store and filling a cab with cases of wine, soda and water. prior to their cruise.

It's gotten way out of hand and the policy is seriously abused.

Yes it's openly encouraged by SOME on these boards to bring your own beverages and walk around the ship with it and bring it to the dining room.

After all "Who's Goiing To Know"

What's next Boones Farm Strawberry in a Bubba Mug

HAl your losing money, you're supposedely running a luxurious cruise line, not a KOA campground. Please wake up .

We always bring on our own wine when sailing Hal, but we also always pay the corkage, do not come to the dining room with a glass from the cabin and tip the wine steward.. We also tip over and above the added gratuity when ordering a glass of wine or drink when out and about. I would not bring as much wine if their wine prices were more in line with some other cruise lines. We enjoy picking out a few nice wines to bring on the ship with us:)

Classic apples and oranges comparison.

I'm sure when Hal implemented this bringing your own beverages. They figured

It was bringing a bottle of their favorite wine for a special occasion.

Or the wine lover that finds a bottle of wine in Barcelona or Rome while on their cruise.

Fast forward - Now it's people taking cabs to a Publix grocery store and filling a cab with cases of wine, soda and water. prior to their cruise.

It's gotten way out of hand and the policy is seriously abused.

Yes it's openly encouraged by SOME on these boards to bring your own beverages and walk around the ship with it and bring it to the dining room.

After all "Who's Goiing To Know"

What's next Boones Farm Strawberry in a Bubba Mug

HAl your losing money, you're supposedely running a luxurious cruise line, not a KOA campground. Please wake up .

Like it or not wake...Bubba and the KOA'ers saved HAL from sinking. Not saying I personally bring cases on (can't even remember when I have brought 1 bottle on) but your above all atitude is really insulting!

Saved it from sinking? She's going down by the head. Slowly. Aint the old HAL many remember.

Hal was almost bankrupt when CCL Corp bought them years ago. They are not doing as bad as some report, sure there are pressures (fuel, economy, etc) but what business doesn't have them today...and what business today isn't looking at cutting costs?

Like it or not wake...Bubba and the KOA'ers saved HAL from sinking. Not saying I personally bring cases on (can't even remember when I have brought 1 bottle on) but your above all atitude is really insulting!

If this is the case, why haven't the other cruielines operated this way? I guess Celebrity and the others are just plain clueless

HAL was not near bankruptcy. It was vital, hence Carnival wanted it. Celebrity is as worse off now as HAL is. These lines arent the same because they have dumbed down passenger expectations. Your cruise today is nothing linke mine 5 years ago. Nor is the price. Therein is the rub.

Archived