Panama Canal new locks opening date

DDMau

We have been thru the Panama Canal in 2008 and want to do it again when the new locks open in 2014. All I can find is they want to have them open in 2014 for the 100th year of the canal. Does anyone know the exact month they will open, I know it is a little early to be looking for 2014 cruises but I might find a 2012 or 2013 cruise that will give me the information so I can start planning for 2014.

Thanks

4878607953534.gif

The 100th anniversary of the opening of the Canal will be August 15, 2014. There is no way to be sure if that date will be met or not, there are a number of ways they could handle it like having a year long opening celebration. What Cruise Junky posted about picking a ship that won't fit the current locks is a key point. Below is a link to an article that may be of some interest concerning the opening and other problems going on that are not making the news.

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20111206103330150

The 100th anniversary of the opening of the Canal will be August 15, 2014. There is no way to be sure if that date will be met or not, there are a number of ways they could handle it like having a year long opening celebration. What Cruise Junky posted about picking a ship that won't fit the current locks is a key point. Below is a link to an article that may be of some interest concerning the opening and other problems going on that are not making the news.

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20111206103330150

Thank you for posting this information.

I wonder if any of the cruise lines have specifically stated they will be running larger ships through the new canal? If it costs $250,000 or so now to bring a Panamax size ship through, I can only imagine what a Voyager or Epic sized ship would be. Look at what happened when cruise lines like RCI and Carnival started getting these Panamax ships like the Spirit and Millenium. They stopped going into the canal with them, and instead would just dock in Colon and sell a shore excursion to the canal.

Probably when the post Panamax ships start calling at the new Locks they will be limited to just repositioning the ship from one market to another. I sort of doubt they will be using the larger ships for regular cruises through the Canal as several lines offer now over the winter months. The basic toll for a passenger ship now stands at $134/berth whether it is occupied or not. There is a laundry list of other charges that get thrown into the hopper, so with 3500-4000 passengers it gets to be a tidy some!

Probably when the post Panamax ships start calling at the new Locks they will be limited to just repositioning the ship from one market to another. I sort of doubt they will be using the larger ships for regular cruises through the Canal as several lines offer now over the winter months. The basic toll for a passenger ship now stands at $134/berth whether it is occupied or not. There is a laundry list of other charges that get thrown into the hopper, so with 3500-4000 passengers it gets to be a tidy some!

I agree. Lines such as Princess will probably continue to keep Coral and Island on the canal routes..it just opens up more possibilities of moving the big ships around.

Archived