Haulin' the Snorkels . . .

puddles99

My husband is an avid snorkler and I am a relative newbie. On our upcoming cruise, we'll have our two daughters (ages 7 and 9) in tow for their first snorkling experience. Everyone is getting new masks & snorkels for Christmas and we plan to "train" the girls in a pool before the cruise.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has a great bag that they'd recommend for hauling around everyone's gear on our excursion. I will be the pack mule and I'd prefer to look slightly trendy :p. Any suggestions?

1st, I would NOT be the "pack mule"....been there, done that. Let everyone haul their own equipement..

Not just for you, but for them...this is a great way to teach responsibillity...even at their young ages, they will learn that reward (snorkling, having fun, etc...) has a price to pay!!!!

What I'm wondering is if anyone has a great bag that they'd recommend for hauling around everyone's gear on our excursion. I will be the pack mule and I'd prefer to look slightly trendy :p. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry, but this is absurd. Why in the world would you carrry everyone's gear? If they are old enough to snorkle, they're old enough to be responsible for their own things. You won't look "trendy" no matter how you carry it. Make everyone carry their own gear in a backpack.

We always bring our own masks and snorkels (not fins). I either have one carryon bag that is designated just for swim gear (including pool shoes and bathing suits) OR we just fit the mask and snorkel in everyone's individual carryon. We don't bother with the mask case if the carryone has clothes in it, as the clothes (socks,underwear) can be put inside the crevices of the mask to pad it.

We also are a family that loves snorkeling and we all have our own bags for our own gear. The kids are these small waterproof swim backpacks. In it they carry their mask and snorkel, swim shoes, towel, and a small pail/shovel. I used to carry their things for them but this was when they were younger (under 5).

Hope that helps. :)

My husband is an avid snorkler and I am a relative newbie. On our upcoming cruise, we'll have our two daughters (ages 7 and 9) in tow for their first snorkling experience. Everyone is getting new masks & snorkels for Christmas and we plan to "train" the girls in a pool before the cruise.

We have invested a lot of money into snorkel/dive gear over the years. Go to your local dive shop and explain to them the situation: traveling a long distance....four pairs of fins, masks, etc. They can recommend a good mesh bag that an adult can carry on their back, as long as you're not bringing tickle sticks, harpoons, etc. (Those items are considered weapons.)

"Fashion" has it's place - if you go to a Dive Shop, they'll have what you want in the "brand names" that other divers will know - that's what impresses people, not the Dolce & Gabbana Travel Bag that will be ruined after the first dive (not to mention basically throwing away $5000).

They will probably sell you an oblong, mesh bag - they are great! You'll want to dry your fins and masks and this will help keep them from dry rotting.

Enjoy!

Lady_G

We also use a large, mesh bag, which dh always carries. I'm thinking we probably got it at a larger athletic store and guessing it was not expensive. I am in charge of two towels, snacks (in sealed packages), sunblock, and two large insulated water bottles. Our girls (8 and 10) each carry their own water bottle, and towel. So, things are divided, but dh still does the bulk of the carrying. However, I am the only one that uses fins, so that does lessen the weight quite a bit. Oh - we also invested in bright vests. They do inflate, but we bought them more for the safety function of sea-do drivers and such being able to see us.

I'd use the mesh bags too--easy to carry (some have straps like a backpack) and the wet gear can dry easily. They also pack nicely into larger suitcases or bags for travel, as the mesh bags take up hardly any extra space but keep everyone's gear separate.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to look 'trendy' on a snorkel excursion with husband and kids--it's just not in the cards and no one will notice anyway. You will be plenty busy without worrying about fashion. About the trendiest thing you find is some kind of backpack, if they can ever be trendy.

And, I agree, let the kids carry their own gear. There will still be plenty you parents will have to tote, and it's good for them to be responsible/helpful.

I think my smiley face after the word "trendy" may have been misinterpreted. I meant "not look like an idiot," but anyhoo . . . . Thank you for all of the ideas. A dry bag is a fantastic idea, too - Thanks for the reminder not to forget that.

We bought a "snorkeling Bag" that fits all the snorkeling equipment (it is made like a back pack) some kind of mess - it dries quickly and the sand does not stay in the bag. The bag is quite large but fits nicely on my husbands back to carry. We bought it at a snorkeling shop. Got it for xmas last year ! Great investment

I used my old backpack from college, fit four sets of snorkeling gear (including fins) and two large beach towels if I packed it right. I decided being a packmule for DD, DW, and DMIL was the best approach rather than making them all carry their own. :D

I'm of the thinking I'd rather teach my kids responsibility at the hundreds of other opportunities rather than risk losing our snorkel gear in port. But that's just me, lol. :rolleyes:

First off, skip the fins. It's not like you'll be swimming long distances if you're just snorkeling off the beach. They take up lots of real estate in the suitcases, not just daypacks. Secondly, I just use a big soccer bag/backpack. Room enough for 2 mesh bags (2 masks, 2 snorkels each), 2 beach towels, plus whatever small packages we pick up shopping before/after beach time.

Archived