Iguazo Falls

mare s.

Just back yesterday from seeing Iguazu Falls. Here's my 2 cents:

Admission to park is 100 Argentine Pesos per person. Have your ticket stamped when you enter and the second day is half that price.

If you have a sweatband…bring it!

If you arrive in the mid-day…enter the park and take the LOWER CIRCUIT. That will give you the "overview" of the falls and is the most strenuous of the walks. We did that, (sun is right for photos) then went to the Sheraton for drinks and to cool down...and were picked up at 6:30 (park closes at 6) at the Sheraton by our Remis driver, Ariel (highly recommended), who took us back to our Bed and Breakfast, The Secret Garden, which was terrific! Definitely less luxurious than the Sheraton but a much better "experience"…two other very interesting couples, a delightful host, delicious Happy Hour (so much food we didn't go out to dinner), and much more information about what to see/do, etc. So, I'm happy we decided to do the B and B route. (more on Tripadvisor about that place.)

The second day you have plenty of time to do the Upper Circuit, etc. and take a boat ride, or whatever. Our first day (half day) was perfect weather…second day was raining buckets in the morning so we broke for lunch at the very good Argentinian BBQ place in the park (La Selva...recommend it..free wifi too…you can get a discount coupon from someone at a kiosk just before the train station.)

No need to do any separate tours…in fact they looked miserable. At least when it was raining buckets we had a choice of what to do and where to go.

Take ponchos, rain hats, sweatband, breathing/fast drying shirts, safari pants, and DEET...etc….everything needs to be quick drying…including waterproof footwear. If you have a waterproof camera this is the time to enjoy it fully!

Make sure to take water on the trails…once you are away from the little snackbars there's no water.

It was over 100 with 100% humidity the first day…second day was better, but raining all the time.

The place is incredible.

We felt we did not need to see the Brazil side, but if we had a third day we would have gotten a visa for it since there's other things to see on the Brazil side. The visa is good for 10 years (US citizens).

LAN airlines from AEP (the airport near the port) WEIGHED and SIZED our carryons!!!!!! (8 kg limit). 90% of the first 30 or so people didn't make it! (they were gate-checked.) After a certain point, they stopped checking. Just an FYI.

Dengue Fever is endemic in that area, so make sure of your mosquito repellant!

FABULOUS place! Glad we saw it.

We went Nov.2-4, 2011. Booked flight on Aerolineas Argentinas before leaving home. Stayed at B&B 'The Secret Garden'. Wonderful place to stay, fabulous host, good food, and even budget friendly. Owner will arrange car and driver to falls if desired (local bus is about 2 blocks); owner will also arrange private car for transfers to and from airport and anywhere else you would like to go. We used his driver and car for both airport and falls (reasonable and very handy). We took a taxi to one local restaurant he recommended and walked to another. Purchase two day ticket at park entrance and plan on 2 days in the park - we did upper trail the first day and lower trail the second day = lots of walking and a number on stairs. Have a cool drink at the Sheraton at the end of the day and car will pick you up there (or take the bus). Highly recommend The Secret Garden - clean, comfortable, tropical setting, includes tastey breakfast and nightly cocktail hour with appetizers; you really can't beat it!:) goldeng

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and helpful info/tips. I have two questions and a comment.

Ground Transfers We are trying to budget our falls visit. Can anyone help with the transfer costs?

1. Brazilian side airport (IGU) to Brazilian side Tourist Info Center

2. At end of that day, Brazilian Tourist Info Center to Sheraton on Argentinian side

3. At end of day on Argentinian side, Sheraton to Brazilian side airport (IGU)

Water from the Sheraton tap Safe, or is $$$ bottled water de rigueur?

Thanks for your help! :)

US Visa comment Just to clarify for Americans, the high visa price is extracted because the US charges Brazilians a high price (and significant hassle) to visit our country. Reciprocity is grand, isn't it?! So, if you don't want to budget for the visa because your trip plans don't otherwise include Brazil, simply savor the Argentinian side!

We are planning to go to Iguazu Falls after our cruise. Our arrival time in Buenos Aires is 5:00 a.m. What time would be appropriate to schedule a flight to the falls? Thank you!

I would take the earliest flight possible and arrange your departure accordingly. You want to spend as much time at Iguazu as possible. The flights to Iguazu were very messed up when we were there, with them being late and flights changed to different flights for various reasons. The earlier you get there, the lesser the chance for delay in my opinion. You will also be able to get different views of the falls with the light coming from different directions. You can see lots of photos of the falls in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

MVPinBoynton, what an amazing web review of your (wonderful) adventure in South America--I'm gobsmacked by so many things, including your web talent, photography and writing! I can't wait for more time to vicariously enjoy your other trips. :)

We're researching a trip to the falls, and I posted a couple of questions above that won't tap your knowledge (different ground transfer scenario), but I hope you can answer one of them: Is it safe to drink the tap water at the Sheraton or is bottled water standard operating procedure?

And I have a new question based on the fact we would likely fly out the same evening we do the Argentina side. If we copied your day's activities, can you recall what time after Carol's breakfast the two of you headed out? It would help me use that duration to figure out our AM start time in order to both do it all AND make the plane!

Thanks.

MVPinBoynton, what an amazing web review of your (wonderful) adventure in South America--I'm gobsmacked by so many things, including your web talent, photography and writing! I can't wait for more time to vicariously enjoy your other trips. :)

We're researching a trip to the falls, and I posted a couple of questions above that won't tap your knowledge (different ground transfer scenario), but I hope you can answer one of them: Is it safe to drink the tap water at the Sheraton or is bottled water standard operating procedure?

And I have a new question based on the fact we would likely fly out the same evening we do the Argentina side. If we copied your day's activities, can you recall what time after Carol's breakfast the two of you headed out? It would help me use that duration to figure out our AM start time in order to both do it all AND make the plane!

Thanks.

Artemis,

I am glad you enjoyed the review. I believe that the Sheraton provided free bottled water in the rooms, so we never considered using the tap water. I also seem to remember that there were notices not to drink the tap water.

As far as the time I headed out after Carol had breakfast, I will have to look at the time on my photos at home after work. I will let you know later.

I would take the earliest flight possible and arrange your departure accordingly. You can see lots of photos of the falls in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Mike - I must confess that your site (sent to me by a great friend) was the final factor for us deciding to do this trip - such beautiful pictures - thank you so much for sharing with all of us!

Did it take a long time to get off of the ship (through customs, etc.)? I've read that the terminal is very chaotic. Is one hour in advance sufficient for arrival at AEP?

Thank you for all of your help!

Mike - I must confess that your site (sent to me by a great friend) was the final factor for us deciding to do this trip - such beautiful pictures - thank you so much for sharing with all of us!

Did it take a long time to get off of the ship (through customs, etc.)? I've read that the terminal is very chaotic. Is one hour in advance sufficient for arrival at AEP?

reynoldswrap,

Since we started at BA, I can't answer your question; but I am sure someone else can help you out. I am glad we were able to convince you to go to Iguazu. You will be glad you did.

No one here has mentioned this; We felt that the helicopter flight up over the falls and the rivers was AMAZING.

And my opinion would be if you have days scheduled in Rio and they can be shifted to the Foz or BA, then do so. The Foz are astounding and BA is a fabulous city. If my time was limited I would skip Rio.

You might enjoy previewing the movie "The Mission" with Jeremy Irons. It was filmed at the Foz and gives some historical background.

Hi! I would like to respond as we just got off the ship on Sun ( I am currently sitting st the Secret Garden waiting for everyone to wake up). They get you off the ship in a pretty orderly fashion however you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the terminal to pick up your luggage and go thru a very minor baggage check...the longest time was lining up to get thru the door. Then the ride to the airport which depends on traffic...allow at least 45 min but longer during the day. Depending on which airport you need sufficient time, we flew thru Eze since we went to the Brazilian side which is the main Intn'l airport. Our friends flew thru the local airport and flew to the Argentine side however THEIR flights kept getting changed which might play havoc on your plans.

Maybe you should at least allocate one night here just to be sure...you never know!

J18ktleo - thank you so much for your response! We normally carry our luggage off with us - is that possible at this terminal? What time was it when you finally got out of the terminal?

Do you mind sharing the transfer you used to the airport?

When you say allocate one night here, are you saying to spend a night in BA before going to the falls? Our plan was to fly out the same day and spend 2 nights at the falls. Return to BA for one night before leaving for home.

How long does it take you to go from the Secret Garden to the falls?

Have a wonderful time. Thanks Again!!!

Hi! I would like to respond as we just got off the ship on Sun ( I am currently sitting st the Secret Garden waiting for everyone to wake up). They get you off the ship in a pretty orderly fashion however you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the terminal to pick up your luggage and go thru a very minor baggage check...the longest time was lining up to get thru the door. Then the ride to the airport which depends on traffic...allow at least 45 min but longer during the day. Depending on which airport you need sufficient time, we flew thru Eze since we went to the Brazilian side which is the main Intn'l airport. Our friends flew thru the local airport and flew to the Argentine side however THEIR flights kept getting changed which might play havoc on your plans.

Maybe you should at least allocate one night here just to be sure...you never know!

Thank you so much for the update. We are going to Iguazu Fall after we leave the ship at the end of February and will fly from domestic airport. Do you know if there is any luggage storage at local airport? Thanks.

We were in Iguazu in Nov.2012. Took a 7;30am flight on Aerolineas Argentinas from BA and arranged airport pickup (20-30 min. ride) with John, owner of the Secret Garden. Upon our arrival we were given a cold drink, local info, and driven around town by John for a short orientation After settling into our rooms we used a car and driver arranged by John to the park. Buy a 2-day ticket. We took the short train ride and then walked the upper trail ending at Sheraton with car pickup ending at the Sheraton for a cool drink before being picked up by our car(20-25 min. ride). The second day we walked the lower trail ending at Sheraton with car pick-up. There are flights later in the evening so if you are limited in time you could spend one night in Iguazu and still do 2 days in the park. There is lots of walking and a good amount of stairs involved in covering the 2 trails. If you need to take a flight from BA later in the day your plan to spend 2 nights would still work to give you 2 days in the park. I must say we loved the Secret Garden.

J18ktleo - thank you so much for your response! We normally carry our luggage off with us - is that possible at this terminal? What time was it when you finally got out of the terminal?

Do you mind sharing the transfer you used to the airport?

When you say allocate one night here, are you saying to spend a night in BA before going to the falls? Our plan was to fly out the same day and spend 2 nights at the falls. Return to BA for one night before leaving for home.

How long does it take you to go from the Secret Garden to the falls?

Have a wonderful time. Thanks Again!!!

Sitting here with 2 other couples from the cruise...all agreed you probably can't take your bags off...unless you leave before 5 am ( which was told to the other couple). If you get a 7 am disembarkation you should be able to make a 10am flight...assuming the flight doesn't get changed which seems to be an issue. Also, there where lots of taxi's outside to take you to the airport...prices were pretty fixed. Just make sure you only use Radio Taxi's!

Secret Garden is about 30 min from airport...John arranged transfer for $45 rt.

Did the falls yesterday...incredible!!!

Make sure you take enough water with you...was $10 bottle in some places in the park...also grab some snacks/ chips to put in you bag...really helped!

Leaving for airport now...3 weeks of amazing travel!:)

A BIG Ditto for Secret Garden being mentioned here…John was such a helpful host. Having him arrange transportation, etc. made things seamless. We were there Jan. 23 and 24th this year, so just missed a few of you! I do wish we had gotten a Brazil visa since we did find we missed an opportunity to do the helicopter and also there's supposed to be a lovely aviary on the Brazil side. Next time…

We went to Iguazu after our Veendam cruise January 23-26. We booked our flights with LAN on the internet.

We stayed at the Yreta Apartment Hotel in Iguazu on the Argentine side. Because we were there for 3 nights we wanted to be able to walk around town etc. It was very economical.

The hotel set us up with a taxi driver "Pacho" who looked after us all three days. He drove us to the falls and purchased our admissions. Picked us up in the late afternoon, booked dinner reservations for us, picked us up the next morning to drive us to the Brazilian side and back. He waited for us to have lunch and drove us back to the hotel. The last morning he took us to the airport.

Another note...bottles of water in the park were 10 pesos which is about 2.00USD. In Argentina they use the $ sign for pesos.

Since you would be crossing border's you would probably need to fly thru BA then to Iguazu. And I believe you might fly into EZE International airport then. Get to the domestic airport to fly to Iguazu...might be easier before the cruise?:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We disembark at 5 am and plan to fly LAN to Iguazu Falls. Can someone tell me if it's too risky trying to make a 9:45 am flight? The next one is at 11:45 am. We are planning to drop off our "cruise" luggage at the Hilton in Buenos Aires on our way to the airport. Thanks!

Archived