I've Lost it!

olemissreb

I know I wrote down a couple of tour operators that offer Kenai Fjords tours out of Seward, but now I can't find them! I have Major Marine - what were some of the others?

We won't actually be booking until 2013 (or late 2012), but I'm trying to get a handle on costs. Our 2 days and 3 nights in Denali is already going to cost us just under $2000!!! :eek::D And that doesn't include the car rental!

Once I finish with Seward, then I just have to fill in the time between Denali and our one night (maybe 2) in Anchorage before we catch the train to Seward.

Yes - I've totally lost it - my mind that is! :D

Our 2 days and 3 nights in Denali is already going to cost us just under $2000!!! :eek::D And that doesn't include the car rental!

Unless you have a large group, or you are staying in Kantishna, there is no way you can spend that much at Denali for 3 nights. And if you are in Kantishna, I hope it is Camp Denali or North Face, which seem to get better reviews for people actually interested in experiencing Denali, than places like Kantishna Roadhouse.

Well actually there are 4 of us and the plan is to stay at the McKinley Village Lodge for 3 nights (approx. cost $1000). Shuttle bus for 3 (one child qualifies for free) to Eielson is $78.75. Raft trip is $350-$360 depending on company and ATV adventure is $385. If you add all of these up, it's about $1800 at 2012 prices. I just built in for price increases for 2013 and taxes. I am planning on getting a Toursaver book and hoping I can find some savings with that. But this would be "worst" case.

Join the club - I lost my mind some time ago.... :D

Here's the link to Alaska.org showing the vendors for Seward:

http://alaska.org/glaciers/kenai-fjords.htm

Thank you! Now to figure out what to do from a Monday to a Wednesday. Wednesday night we'll be in Anchorage catching the train Thursday morning to Seward. So many choices so little time!:D

Well actually there are 4 of us and the plan is to stay at the McKinley Village Lodge for 3 nights (approx. cost $1000). Shuttle bus for 3 (one child qualifies for free) to Eielson is $78.75. Raft trip is $350-$360 depending on company and ATV adventure is $385. If you add all of these up, it's about $1800 at 2012 prices. I just built in for price increases for 2013 and taxes. I am planning on getting a Toursaver book and hoping I can find some savings with that. But this would be "worst" case.

Thanks for the clairfication :). It includes lots more than lodging and shuttle.

Re: Kenai Fjords. Keep an eye out. Recently I booked a KF trip for half price for next summer without any Toursaver/Northern Lights coupon. It was an offer through a third party company.

Thanks for the clairfication :). It includes lots more than lodging and shuttle.

Re: Kenai Fjords. Keep an eye out. Recently I booked a KF trip for half price for next summer without any Toursaver/Northern Lights coupon. It was an offer through a third party company.

Thanks!! I'll keep a lookout! We are going to just do a 4.5 hour tour in Resurrection Bay upon arrival in Seward so any savings will come in handy for the next morning when we go to the Alaskan SeaLife Center and maybe do a couple of behind the scenes tours in addition to a self-guided tour. I figure after all of the "going" in Denali that taking it easy on the day we board might be a novel concept! :D

Thanks!! I'll keep a lookout! We are going to just do a 4.5 hour tour in Resurrection Bay upon arrival in Seward so any savings will come in handy for the next morning when we go to the Alaskan SeaLife Center and maybe do a couple of behind the scenes tours in addition to a self-guided tour. I figure after all of the "going" in Denali that taking it easy on the day we board might be a novel concept! :D

I have taken both a bay tour and the 6 hour & longer tours. From the bits of your itinerary that you have mentioned so far, it sounds like wildlife is not a huge priority for your family. That is OK and is probably one reason you chose the 4.5 hour tour from Seward. But I would encourage you to consider the 6+ hour tours. You get a lot more chance to see marine wildlife, plus you get closer to a glacier than you ever will on your cruise ship. Contrary to some posters, I don't believe the bay tours are "worthless" and there are things like bird rookeries and some marine wildlife in the bay. But you really are shortchanging yourself, especially if you have an overnight in Seward. The 6 hour tour is not any less "taking it easy" than the 4.5 hour tour. Really. Very relaxing on the boat. Switching your activities in Seward between days would give you plenty of time to do both.

I have taken both a bay tour and the 6 hour & longer tours. From the bits of your itinerary that you have mentioned so far, it sounds like wildlife is not a huge priority for your family. That is OK and is probably one reason you chose the 4.5 hour tour from Seward. But I would encourage you to consider the 6+ hour tours. You get a lot more chance to see marine wildlife, plus you get closer to a glacier than you ever will on your cruise ship. Contrary to some posters, I don't believe the bay tours are "worthless" and there are things like bird rookeries and some marine wildlife in the bay. But you really are shortchanging yourself, especially if you have an overnight in Seward. The 6 hour tour is not any less "taking it easy" than the 4.5 hour tour. Really. Very relaxing on the boat. Switching your activities in Seward between days would give you plenty of time to do both.

Thanks for that. From the description, it sounded like we would get to see a lot of wildlife. There is another company that does a 5 hour tour and it's a little cheaper (if we don't add on the salmon & prime rib dinner) I guess it won't be much different. I'll look into the 6 hour tours because we do want to see as much wildlife as we can and glaciers are just a plus. I'm thinking that for our time between Denali and leaving for Seward, we may try to see Mantanuska Glacier (maybe walk on the glacier and stay somewhere close), then head to Anchorage and tour there a little bit.

Thanks for that. From the description, it sounded like we would get to see a lot of wildlife.

Of course. And from the photos in cruise brochures, the sky is always blue in Alaska with no rain. You have to realize that marketers are the ones who write those descriptions.

Thanks for that. From the description, it sounded like we would get to see a lot of wildlife. There is another company that does a 5 hour tour and it's a little cheaper (if we don't add on the salmon & prime rib dinner) I guess it won't be much different. I'll look into the 6 hour tours because we do want to see as much wildlife as we can and glaciers are just a plus. I'm thinking that for our time between Denali and leaving for Seward, we may try to see Mantanuska Glacier (maybe walk on the glacier and stay somewhere close), then head to Anchorage and tour there a little bit.

Any tour - ANY tour - less than 6 hours will not get out of the bay. If wildlife is really a priority, then it is a no brainer to take the longer tour. More time on the water = more chance of seeing wildlife, plain and simple. I only made the comment about wildlife not being a priority since you mentioned the shorter KF tour and you seem to be doing a lot of activities near Denali that have nothing to do with wildlife. I will be at Denali for 3 nights this coming summer as well (actually 3 nights and 4 days, since I count "days" differently). I will be on shuttle buses three days in a row. Then the day we depart we will do things near the park entrance. But for me, the wildlife, scenery and hiking options in the park far outweigh other activities, especially if the other activities reduce my chances of seeing wildlife inside the park. Plus, the shuttle bus is way cheaper than any other activity if cost is an issue for someone.

If your priority is as you say for the wildlife- then I would never consider any less than 6 hours on the water. The route is significantly shorter, take a look at a map.

By the way, Major Marine is FAR easier and more generous in their coupon acceptance compared to Kenai fjords tours. Their add on meal, is WELL worth the expense and always superb, well prepared- Copper River salmon.

Matanuska Glacier is for treking, not "looking" in my opinion, it is not worth a "drive by" if that is your only reason for going in that direction. It is a superb location for access, and cheap guided ice trekking touring.

If your priority is as you say for the wildlife- then I would never consider any less than 6 hours on the water. The route is significantly shorter, take a look at a map.

By the way, Major Marine is FAR easier and more generous in their coupon acceptance compared to Kenai fjords tours. Their add on meal, is WELL worth the expense and always superb, well prepared- Copper River salmon.

Thanks Budget! Major Marine is who I was referring to. I guess we'll be doing 6 hours on the water.

Budget, correct me if I'm totally off base, but since we are taking the shuttle in Denali to Eielson (at the very least - possibly to Wonder Lake if the weather is good) we should be able to see plenty of wildlife right? I thought that's what I read so that's what I wanted to be sure we did as a minimum before we do the other stuff outside the park.

Thanks Budget! Major Marine is who I was referring to. I guess we'll be doing 6 hours on the water.

Budget, correct me if I'm totally off base, but since we are taking the shuttle in Denali to Eielson (at the very least - possibly to Wonder Lake if the weather is good) we should be able to see plenty of wildlife right? I thought that's what I read so that's what I wanted to be sure we did as a minimum before we do the other stuff outside the park.

Sorry, no, Denali Park is not really about the wildlife as much as it is about the scenery. Wildlife is most always, WAY off, even with binoculars. It is not a zoo. It is very dependent on fellow passengers, yelling "stop" when wildlife is spotted. For me, I spend a considerable amount of time on the public road, also looking for wildlife. This year, I went into the park three times, actually returning when Wonder Lake shuttle buses opened, as I was there begining of June for only Eielson twice. Did Prudhoe Bay in between. :)

Sorry, no, Denali Park is not really about the wildlife as much as it is about the scenery. Wildlife is most always, WAY off, even with binoculars. It is not a zoo. It is very dependent on fellow passengers, yelling "stop" when wildlife is spotted. For me, I spend a considerable amount of time on the public road, also looking for wildlife. This year, I went into the park three times, actually returning when Wonder Lake shuttle buses opened, as I was there begining of June for only Eielson twice. Did Prudhoe Bay in between. :)

OK scenery is good too! I'm sure on the cruise we'll find opportunities to see more scenery and more wildlife! We really can't say which is more important since we want to see it all and know that that isn't possible with 1 week interior and 1 week on a ship. At least we'll get a good taste!

How far is Prudhoe Bay from Denali? Wondering if that might be something to do in between Denali and Anchorage before we head to Seward.

Sorry, no, Denali Park is not really about the wildlife as much as it is about the scenery. Wildlife is most always, WAY off, even with binoculars. It is not a zoo. It is very dependent on fellow passengers, yelling "stop" when wildlife is spotted.

This is one area where BQ and I disagree. Denali is about both scenery and wildlife.

I spend days at a time in Denali, so I tend to see more wildlife there than most people (for the same reason I also tend to see the Mountain way more than most visitors to the park). Wildlife is "often" way off in the distance, but then it is also "often" very close. I have had pretty much every form of wildlife somewhat close to the shuttle bus or the road. Chances are that is not going to happen when someone takes a single bus trip into the park. But being in the park three days in a row, chances increase way more than threefold IMHO.

Forget Prudhoe Bay. It is hundreds of miles in the other direction :D

This is one area where BQ and I disagree. Denali is about both scenery and wildlife.

I spend days at a time in Denali, so I tend to see more wildlife there than most people (for the same reason I also tend to see the Mountain way more than most visitors to the park). Wildlife is "often" way off in the distance, but then it is also "often" very close. I have had pretty much every form of wildlife somewhat close to the shuttle bus or the road. Chances are that is not going to happen when someone takes a single bus trip into the park. But being in the park three days in a row, chances increase way more than threefold IMHO.

Forget Prudhoe Bay. It is hundreds of miles in the other direction :D

I am not in disagreement about the wonderful wildlife viewing opportunities of Denali Park. As you know- it is always a place on my Alaska itineraries, via the shuttle buses. It is a jackpot bargain, wildlife opportunity that is excellent. The "problems" arise with some first timers, who expect the sightings to be right beside the road, and nonstop, all along the hours of transit- like the brochures- "show" , then claim they didn't see anything. I have been on shuttle buses, with people not having binoculars, including all three trips this year. My reference is for reality based, expectations and the same point of TIME necessary.

OK scenery is good too! I'm sure on the cruise we'll find opportunities to see more scenery and more wildlife! We really can't say which is more important since we want to see it all and know that that isn't possible with 1 week interior and 1 week on a ship. At least we'll get a good taste!

How far is Prudhoe Bay from Denali? Wondering if that might be something to do in between Denali and Anchorage before we head to Seward.

Prudhoe is a 3 day investment of time with a fly one way, road to the other. Take a look at a map. It's at the end of the pipeline, 800 miles from Valdez. :)

Prudhoe is a 3 day investment of time with a fly one way, road to the other. Take a look at a map. It's at the end of the pipeline, 800 miles from Valdez. :)

After I posted I did pull out my Frommers guide and look at the map - not an option this time around! :)

I guess I'll just look at a glacier hike on Matanuska Glacier with MICA and see what else I can find to do for 3 days - shouldn't be too hard!:)

As for Denali, I didn't expect animals right up by the bus. We will be armed with a long distance lens on a really good camera and binoculars along with a lunch that we get at the hotel! I'm hoping we'll see something - hoping we'll be even luckier and get to see the mountain! (Hey I got lucky the first time I was in Seattle and saw Mr. Ranier! I can dream! :))

Thanks again Budget and Frugal for all the wonderful advice.

For me the bus ride into Denali was more about being in the depths of the wilderness of Alaska and it was quite exciting. We did see wildlife, but as mentioned it is not a zoo and you will have spend a good amount of time just looking for wildlife. I would go back in a heartbeat if I was up that way again, however, not so sure my husband would be so excited to do it again. He has a bad back, and those bumpy roads took a toll on his back. :( I agree that you need to have realistic expectations. The wildlife are not waiting to put a show on for you, but simply in their natural environment. We did have a fox, some snowshoe rabbits and a heard of caribou all cross very near the bus. Everything else we saw was quite distant. Binoculars are a must to get the most out of the experience. Everyday will be different and your experience will be unique to the day your go and the time you go. Enjoy Alaska!!!

It is a jackpot bargain, wildlife opportunity that is excellent. The "problems" arise with some first timers, who expect the sightings to be right beside the road, and nonstop, all along the hours of transit- like the brochures- "show" , then claim they didn't see anything. I have been on shuttle buses, with people not having binoculars, including all three trips this year. My reference is for reality based, expectations and the same point of TIME necessary.

A huge problem is that most people want to see lots of wildlife plan just one shuttle or tour bus into the park, then as you say, complain they didn't see anything. I can't imagine spending three nights at Denali and only getting into the park once. But most people spend two nights at Denali and barely get into the park once. So many people have a "been there, done that" mentality, whether it is Alaska or wherever they travel. Unfortunately it is to their detriment.

A huge problem is that most people want to see lots of wildlife plan just one shuttle or tour bus into the park, then as you say, complain they didn't see anything. I can't imagine spending three nights at Denali and only getting into the park once. But most people spend two nights at Denali and barely get into the park once. So many people have a "been there, done that" mentality, whether it is Alaska or wherever they travel. Unfortunately it is to their detriment.

Since we will have our boys with us (17 & 13 when we get there), I know they will want a wide variety of things to do. I'm hoping this won't be our only trip to Alaska, but merely whet our appetite for more! I would love to see bears, but at the time of year we're going I think it's after they've awoken from their winter slumber but well before the salmon start running - so chances are slim.

When we leave Denali, we are going to head towards Palmer (a nice leisurely drive with plenty of stops along the way) and the place that I'd like to stay has a "resident moose", so I'll hope he stops by to say "Hi" while we're there! Don't think we'll see much wildlife on our Matanuska Glacier Trek, but oh the scenery and what stories the kids will be able to tell their friends!

After the Glacier Trek, I think we'll probably just head to Anchorage for 2 nights and explore the city. Plus we'll have to get my mom from the airport the Wed. before we head to Seward for our 6 hour Kenai Fjords Tour and one night stay before boarding our ship for our cruise to Vancouver. I now have to figure out our various excursions - whale watching, White Pass Railroad, ziplining - oh so many choices! I can't believe how excited I am for this trip and I still have 18 months to go!

I would love to see bears, but at the time of year we're going I think it's after they've awoken from their winter slumber but well before the salmon start running - so chances are slim.

!

You are wrong on this. First point- there is no salmon in Denali and these are not salmon diet bears. These browns- grizzlies are half the size of the coastal browns, but are frequently seen all during the shuttle bus season. KEY- is to get INTO the park. It is a very active, consistant bear area between Toklat and Eielson. I have been into the park many times, but, did have my first experience of no bear sighting begining of June this year. I did see a few on my second and third trip in- with the last being Wonder Lake. But, the numbers were down from prior sightings. Over the years, I've seen various wildife over supply then scarce- due to nature the next years. This was very visable with the Red Fox. One year, they were all over- then the wolf packs moved in, and I went a few years without seeing any. This year they again were scarce. The dall sheep are in a big population, which I speculate, those numbers will drop in a few years. Just the way it goes.

You are wrong on this. First point- there is no salmon in Denali and these are not salmon diet bears. These browns- grizzlies are half the size of the coastal browns, but are frequently seen all during the shuttle bus season. KEY- is to get INTO the park. It is a very active, consistant bear area between Toklat and Eielson. I have been into the park many times, but, did have my first experience of no bear sighting begining of June this year. I did see a few on my second and third trip in- with the last being Wonder Lake. But, the numbers were down from prior sightings. Over the years, I've seen various wildife over supply then scarce- due to nature the next years. This was very visable with the Red Fox. One year, they were all over- then the wolf packs moved in, and I went a few years without seeing any. This year they again were scarce. The dall sheep are in a big population, which I speculate, those numbers will drop in a few years. Just the way it goes.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean we would see salmon eating bears in Denali - I was referring to other places like Ketchikan or Juneau (if I remember right). All I can do is hope that we see something. I know it's all a matter of chance.

Archived