IVAN just took away my cruise....7 months later

Crew32

I was just getting ready to book a Carnival cruise to the Western Caribbean and I walked into a room in my house that is barely used. while wondering what colors I could paint the walls, noticed a funny odor. Looked up in the corner near the door (thinking about paint) and wouldn't you know it... a nice black spot on my ceiling. Just when I had my house almost completely back to normal after Hurricane Ivan. Now I could just scream at my insurance company. You see according to them... my roof only had minor damage and since the house was only 5 years old wouldn't pay for a whole roof, just 2 slopes. Even though I told them that there had been mysterious water stains in my attic. Their adjuster couldn't find anything wrong, and to be honest neither could anyone I had come out to give a roofing estimate. So now I get to hassle with my insurance company all over again. And as a single woman on a budget, my cruise to the western caribbean is put on hold. Of course by the time all this is settled, even if I have any money left, it will be so close to sail date that I probably won't be able to afford it anymore.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

I live in Central Florida and have been through 3 Hurricanes last year. Many of my friends have had damage. The insurance company should now see that the leak you have is related to the past claim. Hopefully this repair can be added to the last claim so that you do not have any additional out of pocket cost. Good Luck, I hope that your home is repaired soon and you will be able to go and relax on a cruise.

Lets hope that we have many many years before another Hurricane comes this way.

Crew, I can completely understand! See, we were supposed to saile out 5 minutes ago today, on my birthday! 1st vacation in over 14 years and had to reschedule till September 4! I had major surgery and got a horrible infection and had to be put back in hospital and another major surgery, worse than the 1st one. With all this said and done, couldn't afford to go when originally scheduled! So, I too, am feeling bummed out today......Hopefully sometime you will be able to go!

I live in Florida, too. We also have had trouble with our insurance company (over our roof). Don't give up! Call them, tell them the problem, tell them you want another adjuster out asap! Mold can be very serious and spread rapidly.

If you don't get results call 1-800-22-STORM and also consider talking to an insurance adjuster!

Is it worth it to live there? If you had a choice? My DH wants to move to Florida and I don't after last hurricaine season. I know the chances of being hit are slim but when it happens to you. Our friends that live down there really were scared last year but got lucky. They say the good weather the rest of the year makes it worth it-but they had no damage. Our winters really suck but I don't have to worry about losing my home over them. I don't know....

It is definatley worth it to live in paradise. My family has lived in Sarasota for over 50 years and last year was the first time any of us have ever sustained damage from a hurricane. It is very rare to take a direct hit from a hurricane here on the Gulf coast. Last year was not normal. We get some bad storms but you must have to deal with ice storms and blizzards on occasion right?

I also just found out that I need a new roof. Haven't had a chance to speak to my agent yet so I'm hoping it's not too late to make a claim. It wasn't apparent there was much damage until the facia on my house started buckling from all the water getting in behind it. I'm not cancelling my cruise though! It's paid for and I'm going.

Good luck to you. I hope you can work things out so you can go.

Is it worth it to live there? If you had a choice? My DH wants to move to Florida and I don't after last hurricaine season. I know the chances of being hit are slim but when it happens to you. Our friends that live down there really were scared last year but got lucky. They say the good weather the rest of the year makes it worth it-but they had no damage. Our winters really suck but I don't have to worry about losing my home over them. I don't know....

I grew up in Florida and saw many hurricanes during the twelve years I lived there. Fortunately, my family's home was never damanged. Now . . . forty years later, Hurricane Frances caused quite a bit of damage to my home . . . and I live in Virginia . . . .

Problems like this can happen anywhere that you live!

Hopefully, you wil be able to add this to you r claim and get it taken care of.

I totally understand the frustration of having to deal with home issues and pay for a cruise! Last year I was booked on a cruise for the April break with my kids. On Superbowl Weekend my furnace went - had a crack in it and was condemmed. This occured the week that I either had to make a payment or get my deposit back. Since I had no assurance at first as to whether my insurance was going to cover the particular problem - and being a single mom of 4 kids - I had to make a financial decision. HAD to CANCEL the cruise! Of course by then there was NO WAY I could book a spring break cruise at the prices I had booked the previous summer....so.....we missed the boat :mad:

Am leaving in a few short days for the make-up cruise though!

Best of luck to you!! Let us know how it works out!

I feel for you, Ivan took away one of my cruises also. We had 6 leaning or snapped in two trees that of course weren't covered by insurance since they weren't actually on the house. I wish you good luck finding the problem.

sls

Archived