How About A Surcharge For Multiple Portions......

nycruise

of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)

It's an idea.

Considering a cruise (just like an airline flight) costs the same today as it did in 1980,, costs and labor have gone up while cruise cost has remained steady. Either cuts have to be made, or revenue has to increase, or both.

of food in the MDR.

Everyone is complaining about the quality of the food in the MDR and blame it on cost control.

Maybe if they didn't let people order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts, they could offer better quality food in the MDR for the rest of us.

How about a small surcharge for extra desserts and appetizers and a larger one for entrees. I bet that would cut down on the double and triple ordering I hear talked about on these boards.;)

actually, i never even thought about ordering multiple dishes until ccl cut back portion sizes and courses.

since then, i have augmented my appetite by doing such.

I imagine the portions are just fine for a lot of women. If I dont like something I would just go to the buffet to get extra food before I would hold up dinner by ordering something else.

Im not a big fan of 2 hours for dinner though. I want to get in and get out.

of food in the MDR.

It has nothing to do with people eating more food. They did this on purpose to create an incentive to use the specialty restaurants. If the dining room had steak and lobster every night they would sell zero covers.

of food in the MDR.

nycruise,

Hey! That's an idea; but not a good one. :p

It has nothing to do with people eating more food. They did this on purpose to create an incentive to use the specialty restaurants. If the dining room had steak and lobster every night they would sell zero covers.

that's exactly what they are trying to do. chip away a little at a time, removing dishes and quality just to get people to buy up for the good food.

yet the new carnival cruiser continues to resist, quite happy with fried chicken, meatloaf, and burgers. oh my!

our visits to the steakhouse are still always pretty much empty. even since they changed it from a supper club.

of food in the MDR.

Other than from me, you won't get any support for limiting food.......not on Cruise Critic anyway.

I personally don't order anything beyond my meal, but my husband has at times. For instance, if there are two great meals offered on the same night he would order two. I think charging for it would be silly. I don't believe cruise lines are hurting for money at all. Think about it this way.

I'll make up some numbers, so if they aren't correct don't light me on fire.

2,500 (people) x $500 (cheap cruise fare) = $1,250,000

Just think that would be per cruise! More than likely that number is going to be higher because most rooms for a 7 day cruise are over $500 not to mention the price for balconies & suites. Just for one ship alone for the month you're looking at $5,000,000. Carnival has how many ships? Sure they have to pay employees, buy the food etc. but the profit from each cruise is more than likely quite a bit or they wouldn't be in the business.

I like Carnival for the fact that the meals are included except for the steakhouse. On other ships I think you are "nickel and dimed" to death. $10 for tacos, $20 for italian, $5 for pizza, $30 for steak etc. and that's what sets Carnival apart. I think there is no reason your meals wouldn't be fully covered if you are paying $1100+ for a 7 day cruise. I can understand a specialty restaurant but nothing more than that. :eek:

As a woman, I have never had to order extra food. And DH comes from a farming family and believes wasting food is a sin and never leaves food behind. On occasions when I can't finish my portion he finishes it for me and skips desert.

So OP, you will have our support. But not sure how many others'. ;)

Im not a big fan of 2 hours for dinner though. I want to get in and get out.

Same here. DH doesn't enjoy long meals. I normally enjoy them but then there is so much to do and see on a ship I don't want to spend a lot of time in the dining room.

I have only been on 2 cruises with a third in 2 weeks (Legend). I have been impressed with 99% of my meals, and I am a foodie. In fact, finding the special out of the way lunch in Port is amongst my favorite things to do, as Native and local and exotic as possible. Even as a large guy I have never ordered 2 entrees, appetizers maybe (desserts I don't do, as I dislike sweets, but get the cheese plate). Most of the time the wife and I order each an entree and switch plates half way through, just to taste each others. Chargeing more would anger me, I hate the nickel and dimeing already but understand it. I won't pay extra for specialty drinks or foods now. (Mostly because I am cheap, AND because I am so pleased with the free food).

I am amzed at how many posts pop-up with folks suggesting what we should pay more for???? Like many I save all year for my early priced inside cabin cruise, charge me more, I'd be done. Carnival is a budget line, want better, maybe a different cruise line then?

Sorry, I hope I am not angering anyone...just my thoughts. I'd gladly book a cheaper cruise line if one was available.

I don't think charging for multiple portions is going to make the mass produced prepared in advance food taste any better. It is an impossible task to try to feed 1400+ people at each seating in a 2 hour time span and have it be a compared favorably to a restaurant quality meal.

Personally I don't have a problem with any of the food choices or changes. I'm mostly a fish eater and tend to choose items from the menu that "hold" well and are at the same time tasty. When I do order a steak, or the Prime Rib I always order it rare instead of medium to anticipate that it's going to get to me a little overdone. I don't have any sympathy for the people that order medium-well or well done and are disappointed with the result.

I also don't understand people that need to fill up at every meal like it was going to be their last opportunity to have food. Between room service, buffet lines, tea time, sushi, deli, pizza, hamburgers, ice cream and the pastry shop a person can't hardly go an hour without the chance to eat something.

Someone a while back quoted Carnivals reported quarterly profit and it was VERY large. They are not hurting at all.

I guess you understand then that CCL MISSED their numbers. fuel costs were up 30% year over year, which hurt them the worst. Bookings are up, but for lower prices (i.e. they will need to cut back more) and the ceo said they forcast only 1% to 2% more that cabins will increase their net spending, i.e what they spend on the cruise I would guess.

CCL growth is almost non existent. .. erased the rest .. the above is just too naive to understand that just because a company has profits, its also about growing profit and having to do cut backs when things like fuel prices go up, so food is cut back in quality and quantity. Better to me than adding in a fuel surcharge. CCL has to cut somewhere. It has already guided lower for next qtr, after missing estimates on the earnings call earlier this week.

But, are the specialty restaurants all Carnival's profit? Aren't these somewhat franchised?

do some people keep trying to make us pay for every little thing. I cruise because it is an all inclusive (somewhat) vacation.

You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.

You mean to tell me you never drink, gamble, buy photos, go to the spa, buy items from the shops, take a ship tour, go to a speciality restaurant, play bingo, go to a wine tasting, give a tip, etc. That's far from all inclusive.

I think everyone agrees that food+lodging and sometimes drinks is what is considered "all inclusive". Apart from the booze, a cruise is all inclusive.

Your personal spending (photos, gambling, store purchases) were never part of any 'all inclusive deals'.

I think everyone agrees that food+lodging and sometimes drinks is what is considered "all inclusive". Apart from the booze, a cruise is all inclusive.

Your personal spending (photos, gambling, store purchases) were never part of any 'all inclusive deals'.

anywhere!

Archived