Anyone going to Europe this summer?

ekerr19

I've been looking at some of the itineraries... very tempting! We wanted to do Canada/New England, but the Maasdam is going to be tied up during our preferred time of travel....

Right now, the 12-day on Ms. Rotterdam 7/14/05 is looking nice!

Is anyone else booked for Europe this summer? I looked at airfare and it is no bargain!

I'll be on the Rotterdam from May 29th through June 20th on two back to back Europe Itineraries! I'm extremely excited. They will be my first cruises!

I found an open jaw ticket from DFW to Venice (2 stops) and then from London to DFW (direct) for $834 on American. Considering HAL wanted $1400, I thought it was a good deal. It definitely won't be a cheap trip, but hey, its a gift to myself! :D I don't think I'll be traveling for a couple of years after I begin grad school, so I'm not stop myself for really enjoying this one...

Classy - Great deal on air! We are looking at the 7/14/05 cruise, but DH is not happy about the $1200 pp air as we would be taking the kids... maybe I can use some miles or something.

Sounds like you will be having the "trip of a lifetime!" :)

We're booked on the Prinsendam 8/23 Windmills and Waterford cruise. It's a 14-day sailing that circles the British Isles round trip from Amsterdam. We bought our own air (no bargain, for sure) but saved $800 over what HAL wanted. You should look at this one, although the cabin selection is very slim right now.

We're also going on the Prinsendam this summer: 14-day Baltic cruise, R/T out of Amsterdam, commencing July 26. Localady and her DH are also going, as well as few other CC posters. Air fare is very high and we also booked our own-cheaper than with HAL. We also were tempted to go on the 7/14 Rotterdam but felt that since we don't get over to Europe very often, why not spend the extra couple of days! Come join us!

Classy - Great deal on air! We are looking at the 7/14/05 cruise, but DH is not happy about the $1200 pp air as we would be taking the kids... maybe I can use some miles or something.

Sounds like you will be having the "trip of a lifetime!" :)

Thanks! :-) One thing to remember on international flights it to check *all* the flights. I looked on Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, and each airline's web site. For some reason, I never saw each flight listed in more than one place and the prices varied a good deal. Like, on aa.com, I found my flight for $834, there was no listing of the exact flight on the other sites, and the closest on AA they had was listed at $1200. Good luck! :D

We are on the Rotterdam sailing August 31 from Rotterdam to Venice. The ports were just what we wanted and we booked it last year when we could get good prices (compared to what's out there now for pricing). The air fare is a killer, though. We may bite the bullet and just use cruise air. I've been checking and haven't found much cheaper flights. I'm still looking though (with my fingers crossed).

cindy

We're also going on the Prinsendam this summer: 14-day Baltic cruise, R/T out of Amsterdam, commencing July 26. Localady and her DH are also going, as well as few other CC posters. Air fare is very high and we also booked our own-cheaper than with HAL. We also were tempted to go on the 7/14 Rotterdam but felt that since we don't get over to Europe very often, why not spend the extra couple of days! Come join us!

BillS - I'd love to! We are looking for a somewhat economical trip this summer and I don't think this falls into that category... but I am still looking! So far there are some excellent deals on 3/4th pax in the cabin on Alaska sailings... I just looked at one that is $189 pp for the 3/4 if they are kids. That's pretty hard to beat, even though I've never really wanted to cruise there - it's looking mighty good, price-wise.

DH is not wanting to take too much time off work either - he is super busy right now, so that is the other sticky point. We hadn't planned on cruising this summer, but because I was so sick on our recent Volendam cruise, I feel like I missed out... :confused: and I want a vacation! So I am looking online and bugging my poor TA for quotes and holding cabins...

That's a great idea Bill!!! We are very excited about the Baltic cruise also!!! Really looking forward to Visby and Ronne, as they are off the beaten path as well as the Kiel Canal transit!:cool:

Laura--

I'm surprised you're not considering Noordam this summer?

I think I would have to consider it next summer Brian - I don't think she's quite seaworthy yet. ;)

Seriously though, DH says we are going to Europe for sure next summer, if I don't manage to convince him this year. He is looking very closely at the cruise dakrewser is on - he's had his eye on that one since we got the Cruise Planner 2006.

We're booked on the Prinsendam 8/23 Windmills and Waterford cruise. It's a 14-day sailing that circles the British Isles round trip from Amsterdam. We bought our own air (no bargain, for sure) but saved $800 over what HAL wanted. You should look at this one, although the cabin selection is very slim right now.

Jim - This is a nice one! I've looked at it and it sure is tempting. I wish I were going too! :( We are still looking...

We are on the Rotterdam sailing August 31 from Rotterdam to Venice. The ports were just what we wanted and we booked it last year when we could get good prices (compared to what's out there now for pricing). The air fare is a killer, though. We may bite the bullet and just use cruise air. I've been checking and haven't found much cheaper flights. I'm still looking though (with my fingers crossed).

cindy

cindy - Good luck with the air! We lucked out last year and were able to get mutli-city air from DIA to Rome and then back from Lisbon on British Air (and we really liked the planes) with only stops in London. Flight's are so limited from Denver. We also got a great deal - $584pp, but those days are long gone, unfortunately.

I think I would have to consider it next summer Brian - I don't think she's quite seaworthy yet. ;)

Seriously though, DH says we are going to Europe for sure next summer, if I don't manage to convince him this year. He is looking very closely at the cruise dakrewser is on - he's had his eye on that one since we got the Cruise Planner 2006.

Oops - I thought you were looking for '06.:o

I kinda lose track of what year it is now when I book a year or more in advance...:cool:

We just loved the Prinsendam's Mediterannean cruise last summer. But as a way to see Europe, I have to call it "Europe Lite". Maybe though it is a good way to show it to your kids. When ours were about 8 and 10, we started taking them to Europe every year. Normally, we'd just rent a car and put two tents and 4 sleeping bags in the trunk. When we were out of the major cities it worked real well as most minor cities and all rural areas had many campgrounds. The kids loved it because they met tons of European kids.

This might not be your idea of a good time, but it was great for us. susan.

Hi Classy,

We are also going to be on the Rotterdam but not as lucky as you are. We will meet you on 6-8-05 in Rome for the 12 day trip to London. If this is your very first cruise, you will be so delighted.

If you want to talk to more folks who will be traveling with you, check out the Roll-Call board and look for the Rotterdam 6-8-05 and I am sure there is one also for your first part.

The days are counting down!!!

Mary Tiller

Localady wrote:

"That's a great idea Bill!!! We are very excited about the Baltic cruise also!!! Really looking forward to Visby and Ronne, as they are off the beaten path as well as the Kiel Canal transit"

Visby is definitely off the beaten path. It's located on the island of Gotland. It's a wonderful little Hanseatic town that is walled. The wall is not intact. The streets are cobbled stone. Lots of old churches and ruins, and cute little shops, no "walmarts".It is a very "walkable" town, and easily done in one day, I think. I really love Visby, I was married there to my first (and current) husband,:) in the beautiful cathedral, St. Mary's. It is now of course a Lutheran church but when it was built in 1190 or so, it was Catholic. After reformation all the catholic churches became protestant. Most of the art is still intact and displayed.

Stockholm does deserve 3 days I think. You probably only get one, right?

I am very familiar with this part of the world. Any questions, please fire away.

So far there are some excellent deals on 3/4th pax in the cabin on Alaska sailings... I just looked at one that is $189 pp for the 3/4 if they are kids. That's pretty hard to beat, even though I've never really wanted to cruise there - it's looking mighty good, price-wise.

12-day R/T San Francisco on the Infinity. Leaves 9/3/05 - shall I email you the name of my TA? :)

Hi, we're on the Westerdam 19/8 sailing - notice the price has dropped recently so there are some god deals. It sails out of Copenhagen so for cheap air look at Schipol and then get a connection. It can sometimes work out cheaper to fly to a hub airport such as Schipol, Paris or London and then get the connecting flight separately.

HTH Soraya

Hi Classy,

We are also going to be on the Rotterdam but not as lucky as you are. We will meet you on 6-8-05 in Rome for the 12 day trip to London. If this is your very first cruise, you will be so delighted.

If you want to talk to more folks who will be traveling with you, check out the Roll-Call board and look for the Rotterdam 6-8-05 and I am sure there is one also for your first part.

The days are counting down!!!

Mary Tiller

Hi Mary! :o

I saw our roll call but it's been a little bit slow lately. You're the one cruising with your daughter, right? It would be nice to meet up with the CC people for a drink one night if we all don't end up thrown together on an excursion or dinner or something! lol

May I ask your daughter's age? I'm 26 and hoping there will be a 20-something to 30-something (or others young at heart!) also. :p

Archived