How often do you have to fly to take your cruise?

Iluvcruising2

I took a job in Florida so we didn'y have to fly. Because of the convience and being able to book last minute or when prices are good we are able to cruise more often. Last year we went on ten cruises. About half were 3 day weekend cruises.

Um, this thread really has nothing to do with global cruising, but the fact is most of the rest of the world who do cruise, cruise out of Europe or Asia as they also have cruiselines. That is not the point of this thread. This is a thread on the RCI page.

Are you aware that the OP is in Singapore, and that Singapore is not in the US. Voyager is going there next year. Sounds like a great cruise and a wonderful opportunity for you to see some more of the globe. As Hannibal says, "I love it when a plan comes together."

every single time... closest to drive to would be 11 hrs to Quebec City for the one or two cruises a year that depart from there and 16-18hrs to NY/NJ...

Usually cheaper to fly from here to FL than it would be just to NY/NJ etc so I always cruise out of FL :)

When I lived in Alaska, the method of travel to a FL port was understandably by air. I mean, I could have driven ten days but I don't think most employers would like me gone a month for a 7-night cruise :D

Now the hubby and I are stationed in Germany, we are just a two hour flight from Barcelona where we are going out of in June 2012. Thanking my lucky stars that flights are only $250 round trip from Cologne to Barcelona! Hoping to bookour flights in a couple weeks :)

We have had to fly each time we have cruised. We may start flying from inside the U.S. for future cruises though, since Canadian flights for two people are at least $1000 more than a U.S. flight. Well worth a day trip (where the hotel allows for free parking), and still have that cash for excursions and souvenirs.

Living in the midwest we always have to fly no matter where we sail from but we always try to either book B2B cruises or trips of longer duration, so we get more cruise per flight. As you can see in my signature, comming up we have two 7 day cruises, a 28 day trip and a 14 day cruise, this works out to 56 days cruising and 3 round trip flights taken. This is the only way we can reduce our flying time.

Nice to hear you will have a ship sailing soon out of a port near you. It really is nice. It's about half and half for me. I've only sailed the Caribbean and Mexico. Everytime I cruise to Mexico I only have to drive 45 minutes. It's not only great to not have to fly but when there are really low cruise fares I can take advantage of them and not have to worry about the add on airfare. I did a last minute cruise out of Southern California in Jan 2010 on the Sapphire Princess. I saw an obstructed oceanview cabin listed for $379.00 (7 day). I booked and I was upgraded to a full oceanview cabin. Can't beat that!

so far 15 out of 16 cruises we have had to fly

( and the shortest flight being 8 hrs, most at least 13 hrs, even 30 :eek:)

our last cruise last month was the first we have ever driven to..and will be the last..the cruise was sooooo bad, we would rather fly to the US from Australia then ever do that one again..

When you look at a map of U.S., it may seem that a drive from Boston, Massachusetts (northeast region of the country) to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where many of us join ships during the fall/winter/spring would be a short drive but in reality it is about 30 or so hours.

We never drive to Florida and while our flight is about 3 hours and decidedly shorter than yours, it is too far for us to drive.

For someone coming from the west coast or northwest coast of the U.S., that is a many day drive.

Yes, some drive but a great many fly.

When we have boarded in Copenhagen, Rome, Athens etc, of course, we have to fly.

What I love is when we board from our home city, Boston. That is HEAVENLY.

Safe drivers.

Someday we might pull of a drive to New York, Boston, or Baltimore, but all of those would be eight to ten hour drives. Since I want as many days on the ship as I can get, I'm not up for a long drive before and after. So it's been flying for all of our cruises so far. That is until Royal listens to me and establishes a Buffalo, NY homeport!:D

I've been on the only cruiseship out of Buffalo. Wettest cruise I was ever on! :p

We are getting ready to make a 6.5 hour drive that we haven't done in several years to catch a cruise ship. We live in TX, and while there is a Carnival ship here, there isn't a Royal Caribbean one here year around. Most cruises we are boarding a plane. Sometimes due to the ship we want to be on and other times due to the itinerary.

We do have significant drive time to catch the ship in Galveston, but honestly by the time we would get to the airport for check in, get transportation from Houston to Galveston and then to the ship the next morning, it's probably a wash with time.

We live in Weslaco and SPI so you're closer to the FIRST airport to any but Galveston, any other destination requires another flight. The cruises from there are very limited, but we have been on 2. Our DD lives in Houston, so that gave us a place to stay and a chance to see her and the Grandkids.

Unfortunately it's a looong flight to Europe and we're not ready to do anymore except from there, so will drive around the U.S.

Archived