Live from Marina - big screen football - Thanks Mr Del Rio

jamesm

Aboard Marina today in Grand Turk, lovely quiet day aboard ship, and suddenly live football blasts across the entire pool deck. About 20 people are watching a giant screen but the audio is being fed through the p.a. system. Many non US and US pax aboard who are not interested. When we inquired, we were told it was being done due to large demand and there might possibly be more sports days ahead. Surely on a ship like Marina there is another venue that could have been used for this purpose? Oy vey!

Aboard Marina today in Grand Turk, lovely quiet day aboard ship, and suddenly live football blasts across the entire pool deck. About 20 people are watching a giant screen but the audio is being fed through the p.a. system. Many non US and US pax aboard who are not interested. When we inquired, we were told it was being done due to large demand and there might possibly be more sports days ahead. Surely on a ship like Marina there is another venue that could have been used for this purpose? Oy vey!

For sure, how about showing on the TV in the cabins. Then at least folks would not be forced to see and hear the games but they would still be avaiable for the sports lovers.:confused:

It's football season. Have fun. You're traveling during Bowl Season so there will be a lot of sports activity. Have a little tolerance and I am sure you will have a better time. Maybe they can look into wireless headsets for the future.

Read back over the years at previous postings on the subject of showing sports events on a big screen. Seems that most people want to be with others with the same sporting interest in watching important games.

It would seem that the intent is to be with a group and get somewhat the same experience as if you were actually there.

If that is so, then piping the feed into the cabins won't satisfy this feeling - - - -

I would agree that the location isn't appropriate.

They used the lounge to broadcast the gold medal hockey game from the past Olympics and that seemed like a very appropriate location.

I certainly would NOT have been happy to have it forced on me while relaxing on the deck.

It should be in Horizons or Martinis, NOT the pool deck.

Do they have a big screen in the lounge like on the R-ships?

Yes they do, a VERY large one in the Marina Lounge. In fact, the whole back wall of the stage may be a video display.

Didn't you notice how it was used for background effects during some of the Live Stage shows?

Yes they do, a VERY large one in the Marina Lounge. In fact, the whole back wall of the stage may be a video display.

Didn't you notice how it was used for background effects during some of the Live Stage shows?

Never went to the stage shows ;)

Good to know about the screens

Lyn

Hey, it's not only Bowl season, it's opera season. I wonder how tolerant most passengers would be if Mr. Del Rio blasted Don Giovanni across the pool deck for all to hear. There should be an enclosed spot where these games are shown and anyone who cares to watch could go there. They should not be forced on everyone else.

Just to add to my previous post but this is another thing that differentiates Oceania from a luxury line.

Oceania isn't putting itself forward as a Luxury Line, REGENT is the luxury brand.

Having said that, I don't think that we need football or any other sporting events broadcast on the pool deck.... :(

161716.jpg

Why can't they use that Godforsaken Activities Court or Paddle Tennis Court, or whatever it is up on Deck 16 for that sort of thing?

I'd really like to know how many were out on the pool deck that were unhappy with this noise over the Pa system and the video as opposed to those 20 that were watching the game?

Regardless of the numbers the pool deck is a place for relaxing,reading, sunning and swimming, which is what a cruise is all about. And blaring out a sports game does not seem in keeping with Oceania's advertised style. I would expect this on Carnival but not on O. That said I think having the games available on the in cabin TV's are a great idea but for those who want the bonding experience surely one of the inside areas not being used in the day such as Horizons is a possible option. Hopeful by then it will be sorted out before we get there.

I wasn't there. I don't know how loud or obtrusive the pool deck broadcast was.

Having said that, I was on the "friends and family" cruise in the 3 days between Marina's maiden voyage and her second cruise From Miami to San Francisco. As it happened, that 3 day cruise (to the Bahamas and back to Miami) occurred when the Super Bowl was scheduled. The ship turned lazy loops not far off shore from Miami, partway to the Bahamas and back, in order to stay withing broadcast distance of the game.

The game was broadcast in HorizI would ons lounge, which was packed for the occasion, and on the big screen TV on the Pool Deck. There were only 20 to 30 folks watching it on the pool deck for a simple reason -- the screen can only be seen from a small area, and that's all the seating that was available

I would suggest the broadcast was done on the pool deck on the recent cruise because that's where the big screen is. It's not like that ould be the only "intrusion" on the pool deck; the band plays there many afternoons, that's where there are parties like sail-away parties, there are eventws held there like the "crossing the equator" celebrations, there are occasional BBQ's held there and other events I haven't thought of.

On the Marina class ships, there are alternative quiet areas like the patio and the sanctuary where it is comfortable to sit and read outdoors, and where it is so quietI've fallen asleep there over a book.

The pool deck is a fun place where people congregate for all sorts of reasons, including big screen broadcasts (they've also shown movies there). It's not supposed to be a library with guaranteed quiet. I mights suggest that rather than force game lovers to separate and watch small screen TVs by themselves in their cabins rather than share the pasttime with friends that those who want to pursue the solitary pursuit of reading might retired to their own cabins for the duration.

Just because the big screen is at the pool deck does not mean they have to inflict football games on those who do not wish to be bothered with them. Those who cannot live without watching the games should have to be satisfied with a smaller screen that does not impinge on other passengers peace and quiet.

Just because the big screen is at the pool deck does not mean they have to inflict football games on those who do not wish to be bothered with them. Those who cannot live without watching the games should have to be satisfied with a smaller screen that does not impinge on other passengers peace and quiet.

I agree. Most people on the pool deck are reading [or snoozing] and that is not a good mix with a noisy football game.

In fact, I could also do without the Muzak piped in on the pool deck.

When Hondorner posted, I re-thought my position, because his points are usually so reasonable and sage, however, these Sports Enthusiasts (dare I call them athletic supporters?) who should be experts with boundaries, don't seem to handle them well.

While it is perhaps a reasonable accommodation to show the Superbowl (a single game, over in a few hours), it really is intrusive to add those subsidiary Bowl games and Division Finals.

Next will come Baseball (which is a SERIES for Gods sake) then Basketball and Hockey, the fans of which have just as much right to the big screen as any other. It is the proverbial slippery slope (oh dear, did I just bring in Skiing?).

We haven't even mentioned European or Olympic sporting Events yet, which brings up another Kettle of fish, so I will just end this with a request that the big screen on the pool deck be used judiciously.

I was not suggesting that the pool deck was a place of silence and just for reading of course there are activities like a band in the afternoon, or movie nights but you can't serious think that these usual activities and blaring sports through the PA system is the same thing! There are traditional uses of this deck but what we are talking here is not a traditional use and not an activity that some would expect on a upper premium cruise line that O markets itself as being.

I agree with JimandStan the Superbowl is a 'special' event, regular series games are not. Even non sports fans will usually, within reason, tolerate a one off event, we do. But consider this in addition to the other sports JimandStan mentioned like the Football fans, the Basketball fans, and so forth is a slippery slope but even in the one off category whats next say the Kentucky Derby and will the Europeans want the FA Cup or the Aussies want the Melbourne Cup, or the Australian Grand Final and so on and so on.

It is not fair that everyone is to be subjected to the noise these kind of activities create,like it or not, it is different. When most sports fans are happy with a big screen, a bar and each other, and that can be accommodated in a far better place other than on the pool deck. I really think. The issue here is the noise from the PA system for us, reasonable music, general talking and laughter on the pool deck is not.

Maybe O needs to change their plans and create a sports bar on Riviera to accommodate this sort of activity if this this is to become the norm.

I was not suggesting that the pool deck was a place of silence and just for reading of course there are activities like a band in the afternoon, or movie nights but you can't serious think that these usual activities and blaring sports through the PA system is the same thing! .

just curious as to how loud the game was blaring on the pool deck ?

Was it piped through the speakers on the other outside deck??

When Hondorner posted, I re-thought my position, because his points are usually so reasonable and sage, however, these Sports Enthusiasts (dare I call them athletic supporters?) who should be experts with boundaries, don't seem to handle them well.

While it is perhaps a reasonable accommodation to show the Superbowl (a single game, over in a few hours), it really is intrusive to add those subsidiary Bowl games and Division Finals.

Next will come Baseball (which is a SERIES for Gods sake) then Basketball and Hockey, the fans of which have just as much right to the big screen as any other. It is the proverbial slippery slope (oh dear, did I just bring in Skiing?).

We haven't even mentioned European or Olympic sporting Events yet, which brings up another Kettle of fish, so I will just end this with a request that the big screen on the pool deck be used judiciously.

I agree, and would much prefer to engage in conversation around the pool than to have the hoopla and noise of an American football game forced upon everyone who wants to be out on deck. Aside from one's own stateroom TV where the game could be shown, it is easy to avoid booking cruises that are held during the Superbowl, if one is adamant about having to have a shared experience Superbowl party.

Having said that, if the Superbowl is shown, then surely the World Cup (Football or Soccer) is a more "deserving" event as it includes many nations and occurs only once every four years.

We cruised in Europe years back during the World Cup and the games were everywhere. I could care less about football/soccer but many passengers were enjoying the games and I celebrated their enthusiasm. I would rather watch them paint the ship than watch soccer but they had a large audience. I just got caught up in the excitement. We were on the QM2 during the cricket championships. Not my sport but what the hey! People were having fun. Oceania is catering to a North American market at this time of the year and, next to NASCAR, football is the most popular sport. Now, stop whining or I'll get Tony Stewart or Jimmie Johnson after you. Then you can really complain.

then surely the World Cup (Football or Soccer) is a more "deserving" event as it includes many nations and occurs only once every four years.

We had the world cup shown on the ship last year while in Amsterdam

DH said the lounge was full

Archived