Just off the Grand 12/17-12/24

kywildcatfanone

If you were in a grand suite, how was it? Thanks for your review. Looking forward to Feb. Were you in Curcao in the morning or afternoon?

Anyone in the 600 dolphins, how was it, room number?

Thank you, Seadeck2

Seadeck2,

Sorry we were in an inside cabin on the Lido Deck, but it was a great location. Quiet at night, and no noise early in the morning either. We were in Curacao from 7am-1pm. It was fine for us since we were just shopping, but I'm sure if you wanted to do a nice excursion it would have been better to be in the afternoon. It rained off and on in the morning while we were there, but was better after 10am.

Mike

Seadeck2,

Sorry we were in an inside cabin on the Lido Deck, but it was a great location. Quiet at night, and no noise early in the morning either. We were in Curacao from 7am-1pm. It was fine for us since we were just shopping, but I'm sure if you wanted to do a nice excursion it would have been better to be in the afternoon. It rained off and on in the morning while we were there, but was better after 10am.

Mike

Inside cabins on Lido Deck rock - best deal out there and best location IMO.

Oh yeah, something else I meant to mention but forgot to. The wireless did not work the entire week in my room. My notebook could connect to the access point fine, but it wouldn't assign me an IP address. I called the internet cafe manager and he told me it was because too many people were on. I tried a couple of more times early in the morning and late at night, and no luck. I went down to a friend's cabin on the Aloha deck and it worked fine.

I reported all of this to the internet manager, but he gave me the same story. I heard several people saying they had trouble connecting.

It didn't bother me that much, the ones in the cafe worked OK so I used them when I needed to, but had I paid for internet I would have wanted it to work in my room. Since I'm platinum, it was free and I was OK with going down to the cafe.

Mike

Mike, we had same issue. we got an internet connection omly once & used only 33 minutes out of our combined 300 minutes for the week. computer guy told us it was because there were too many smart phone & ipad users tying up the IP addresses, not that they were online all the time. We tried to connect at all hours & many times. Never ran into this on the Star in May.

We were also on that cruise and got a totally different experience. We thought it was the worst of our Princess cruises with a rotten attitude and poor service throughout the ship. Dining times for anytime dining was a mess unless you wanted to eat at 5:30 or after 8 pm. Long lines were characteristic of each night. Only the anytime dining on deck 5 took pagers, while the one on deck 6 took names and you stood there. What a joke about making a standing reservation nightly.... unheard of! We were told to call the reservation line which after 20 minutes of holding each time we just gave up. When we told the hostess of this she just told us that they only take the reservations from the above mentioned times. One night , second formal we got there at 6:15 to be told that we should all come back at 7:30 to get seated. DH and I after 30 minutes of waiting were told a table of 4 opened up in the main fixed dining area and to come down to that dining venue with another couple already there and waiting.

Food was the worst of all of our PCL cruises, with cold breakfast food in the MDR and going to the buffet was a bit better with the temps of the food if you could find a clean table to sit at right away to eat. Staff was talking amongst themselves more than doing their jobs. Getting an order of juice or coffee or water was a long wait even though staff was there. They made it a point not to notice new people coming in to sit.

Lobster was unseasoned and the prawns were overcooked. Even our waiter remarked they were coming out overcooked and stated, "what are they doing to the prawns?". Service at lunch in the MDR only runs now for sea days...new for PCL not having this open on port days. When it was open service was terrible. Over 90 minutes to eat lunch due to slow service. Never got refills of water or ice tea. Food was always lukewarm to cold.

Indifferent staff at the pursers desk. Cabin was not cool enough. Told they would check it and they never did. Hot tubs were not hot. Bubbles not working on any of the hot tubs. Babies allowed in diapers in the family pools. The aft pool was a family pool as was the main one with MUTS. They were full of kids with tubes and noodles and horseplay. The covered pool was an option for adults if you did not want to be outside, but we wanted to be. The spa pool was often closed and drained since ocean conditions were rough but they allowed the kids to rock like a wave pool in the Neptune Pool. Finally had a nice sea day on thursday and it took 4 people to call asking why the spa pool had not been filled yet...IT WAS AFTER 12 PM!!!! By the time it was filled it was close to 2 pm.

Kids were allowed int he first 3 rows of the shows to make the entertainer tell the audience he cannot compete with them.... he did try! By the third night of shows they finally had youth patrol there to tell the kids to move.

Kids took our room service, privacy and fruit tags out of the doors and left them in piles all over the deck.

The bathrooms in the spa area had stains all over the grout areas.

The pizza in the Piazza was not good at all, and the deck 14 pizza had very little toppings amounts of cheese on it. usually it is great pizza, this time, tasteless.

All the brown sauces they used were the same: beef, veal and lamb dishes got the same thin watered down overly salted brown gravy.

Even the turkey dinner which is usually great had a terrible gravy with giblets chopped all over it. The stuffing which is usually great was horrible.

Fresh brewed coffee is served FREE in the piazza after 11 pm. The piano player there was great but then they had a juggler doing the same show, 10 minutes long throughout the week. Nothing much more.

Muts has a bad speaker and sound was muffled. We got to Pirates 5 minutes late to be told that they have no more popcorn. They never brought it out .... how much would it have been to pop some more for the people who did come late? Or maybe want another bag? lazy staff... they did not even put the red MUTS covers over the lounge chairs for several movies. I asked them why and they said it was easier to clean up the area since the movies went past midnight.... This is nonsense!

On Princess Cays they ran out of ice for water or ice tea in the buffet line at 12:30 and not one server or attendant made a move to get some. I had to go over to the bar to get some for my water. Desserts ran out at 12:50 with the buffet open until 1:30.

The only fruit to be had were apples, bananas and oranges. Usually there is mango, watermelon and other melon.

All in all, the service was terrible from a indifferent staff. This was echoed many times when others were talking about how much this cruise differed from other cruises. I never shared my negativity until others told me how bad it was for them. Then I agreed. I would never go on a cruise and be negative and spoil someone else's good time. But when others said it was the worst Princess cruise then I had to agree.

We waited over an hour in the dining room to get onto a tender to get to Princess Cays. We got there early enough and we waited way too long.

Usually they have alternate days for shows which repeat so you do not have to miss anything. On this cruise nothing repeated. They showed Kings Speech in the Princess Theater while showing Bridesmaids a more recent one in the Vista on the same night another movie was showing on MUTS.

The only really nice staff member was Jennifer in Facets the jewelry store. SHe was wonderful to talk to nightly. Her co-worker, Anne was nice too.

The cruise staff remained indifferent and lazy. We wanted to paint ceramics and after getting there first we allowed the others to walk in first since we were sitting on a chaise lounger waiting, only to find out they only allowed 10. We were 12 and 13. Instead of calling for another table and placing it close by the area they used we were told no more room.

They also allowed shorts in the dining room on the non formal nights. In all honesty it does not matter to me what others wear, but if you have a dress code, then adhere to it or go to the buffet area. If they really do not care, then allow non formal nights and let them all be dress as you want. It does not take away from any dining experience. They allowed children who ran around the dining room also after 7 pm. I would have prefered ill dressed people to unruly kids, and babies that cried.

I did not go to the Crown grill but others did and said it was just ok. I heard Sabatini's changed and did not have the extensive tasting menu but limited items.

The may have refurbished the ship but it looks old and dated in many areas. They did update but they did not repair or paint other areas in dire need of updating.

We were on the same ship on 12/3 and 12/10. I agree with your comments about hthe staff not caring!! I never saw the cruise director walking around on the ship. The juglar was boring. We had problems with the air conditioning in our cabin. Being ELITE we fell that this cruise is below average bur we stil had a nice time and didn't let these issues ruin it.

it did not make us have a bad cruise, it was what it was. But there were a lot of issues that did not make it a great cruise. I would not return to Princess if this happens again on another ship. We loved Star and loved the crew and the food. To have nothing positive in this area and then issues with lines and cold food and indifferent staff did not make for a issueless cruise. It was lackluster but I did not have to clean or shop or do any chores....so it still beats being home. Even the poor weather did not make for a terrible cruise..we just spent more time inside the cabin..which DH LOVED!! ;)

It was just disappointing not to repeat the wonderful experience of the Star. I also think it paled in comparison to the cruise we took right before on MSC Poesia. We had fabulous food, fantastic A+ entertainment and got to know the staff and interact with them. Compared to what we had on PCL it was a sure bust. We did know it would be different and understood that. We knew that we would not get the same level of entertainment but we did think we would get other things that we like so much about Princess.

We went to tea once and was told that it is amazing that passengers think there is something special about the tea served. I asked why he would say that, and then he told me they use Lipton, nothing more.

What bothered me so much was the lack of interest that the staff showed while doing their jobs. They were bored and just wanted it over. They were not interactive nor interested in spending any time talking.

The highlight shows were very poor too. We did not care for the production shows either, but then again, we are totally spoiled from MSC level of entertainment. There the singers can sing and the dancers can dance. On PCL the singers scream and the dancers shake, and they repeat the same moves for each show. The headline acts usually are much better and we usually enjoy stand up comedy which they did not have. They had silly comedy which was rather stupid not funny.

Mike, we had same issue. we got an internet connection omly once & used only 33 minutes out of our combined 300 minutes for the week. computer guy told us it was because there were too many smart phone & ipad users tying up the IP addresses, not that they were online all the time. We tried to connect at all hours & many times. Never ran into this on the Star in May.

We had trouble connecting just a couple of times, but did connect about 80% of the time and were able to use 119 of our 150 minutes to check in on our NFL picks and make changes throughout the week. I guess we got lucky??? :confused:

I did not go to the Crown grill but others did and said it was just ok. I heard Sabatini's changed and did not have the extensive tasting menu but limited items.

So sorry you had such a poor cruise! It's unfortunate when you anticipate some time away, and then it totally misses expectations.

Regarding Sabatini's, I'm not sure who gave you that feedback, but it simply isn't true. We DID dine there, and right off the bat, I told our servers that I really wanted to try several items rather than picking just one dish. They told me that we all can, and that's how it's set up. There were 7 of us. We ordered 7 different appetizers and shared them all. On top of that, the chef chose another 4 to 5 appetizers for us to enjoy. On top of all of those appetizers, we each chose an entree, each received a pasta dish (there were 3 choices of pasta dishes) and a dessert. There was SO MUCH from which to choose, that by the time my entree arrived I couldn't eat it! I do prefer the old Sabatini's format, but this format was not limiting at all...though I thought it would be. It simply was not limiting and had ample food choices for each course.

Like I said, I heard it was different from other experiences on other ships.

I am glad you were satisfied with your meal.

We were not impressed with any menu choice for the cruise like I stated. The tasting chef on Star was spot on and on Grand the food lacked. All of it was over powered by the brown sauce that was too salty. The veal was over cooked, the veal in the trio with the lamb chop one night was all fat, the salads were all bland except one that they put pine nuts in. I am just shocked at how different one ship can be when compared to another. Same menu totally different tastes from our Star Princess experience.

We did buy 4 fcc and will go on PCL again.It still offers something that we usually like when we compare it to other cruise lines.

On any other cruises if there were any issues they were looked into and rectified immediately. On Grand, it seemed like they just did not care.

Like I said, without repeating, there were so many issues that when looked at as a total you have to wonder where staff was: pool had babies with diapers, pool had kids with tubes, dining staff never refilling water, piazza staff not cleaning off tables promptly--we sat down with other peoples mess there and had to flag the staff down to clean it up. I think they are all too busy selling coffee in that area to worry about cleaning tables.

The cruise lacked in service.

It was in the 600's on Dolphin, but it was just the one cabin below us, not the whole series. I did see a gentleman out on the balcony earlier in the cruise, but not the last two days. I hope he was not one of the two people left in Curacao!

Thank you for the reply. Not our section but there is hope we get a refreshed cabin. If not, I`m sure we will enjoy it anyway.

None of the cabins were refreshed. The cabins were ok and the beds as uncomfortable as ever unless you get the egg crate, which we did. The wear showed in the hot tubs, the pools, the bathrooms and the spa area.

There was one elevator left OPEN for over 24 hours without a notice in front of it to not get in. The door jammed open. At any time it may have closed like the unfortunate accident in NYC just a short time ago. Nothing was placed in front of the open elevator and they did not begin working on it for over 24 hours. This is uncalled for. I do not even take elevators, but I still thought this was a accident waiting to happen.

I could have just let it all slide ( which I guess I really did do since I do not dwell on the issues while cruising) if the staff was more interactive and friendly. It always seemed that they were doing the passengers a favor by answering a questions. They were all a bit condescending and indifferent.

It just was a lazy staff all over the ship, from the cruise staff to the wait staff who needed to be asked to clean piazza tables to be able to sit down.

They saw the mess, they just decided to look away. They saw the empty bowls of raisins and cinnamon near the oatmeal in the buffet, but they decided to look away and not fill it until someone asked for the items. Nothing should ever run out. Someone should always be watching so no one had to ever wait for something.

It depends on the nature of the stain (which the facility usually knows). The most common stains on shared use carpets are wine, beverage and tea/coffee spills. Both are very unsightly but pose no health hazard and cannot always be removed from carpeting. Replacing the carpeting for every stain would be fiscally unreasonable, sadly. A good steam cleaning will remove the health risks associated with many other types of spills, but not the visual damage (may even make the visual aspect worse).

The determining criteria for replacement is usually the risk of mold or bacteria growth/retention and/or odor (and most commercial carpets are treated with something like Microban for this).

Disclaimer: I am using procedures and info from a large hotel chain for this, but I am fairly comfortable assuming cruise ships use a similar model.

One would think if stains cannot be removed from a cabins' carpet, then Princess would replace the carpet. Its certianly unsightly and possibly a germ carrier. There is an inherent obligation to provide a clean cabin to passengers. Stains indicate an unclean cabin.

Thanks for all the info on the Grand. We are on it in a couple of weeks and it is really igniting our excitement. We have not been on it since the dry dock so we are excited to see it. A question for those that were just on it regarding formal night. If you want to go to the steak house or Lido on Formal night do you still have to dress formal or is it more relaxed? When we do our annual cruise in Dec, we do all the formal stuff. When we go in Feb we like to just relax and no participate in the formal nights. Nothing against them, just our choice.

We were on the Grand for the 12/10 sailing. We found the staff (even the desk) friendly and accommodating. The food was typically Princess (the chilled soups and the pastas were great), and only the steak on the last night was disappointing. We enjoyed lunch in the MDR several times, and we really enjoyed the pizza at Alfredo's in the piazza. It is the type we enjoyed in Rome, rather than american style. Tasty elements used minimally so that each bite is an intense experience of flavor. No pepperoni, but from the toppings they offer, you could ask for extra. A neat addition to free dining options, tho the service staff could use more training. Vines is not a sushi/tapas bar. According the the sommelier, this is a concept they are trying out. The tasting menu is a bit limited compared to the dinner wine list, which seems odd. The Grand seems to be a nicely downsized version of her big sisters, with 500 less passengers. It has some nice nooks, like what would be the Adagio bar is now a shaded area with ceiling fans - great place to be when not in the sun. You don't feel like you are on the Bataan Death march if you need to go front to aft. It is a nicely comfortable size. I loved the solarium pool. And to get to the secret place above the flying bridge is a snap. Go the the sun deck and walk forward. All in all a grand experience for us.

Thanks for all the info on the Grand. We are on it in a couple of weeks and it is really igniting our excitement. We have not been on it since the dry dock so we are excited to see it. A question for those that were just on it regarding formal night. If you want to go to the steak house or Lido on Formal night do you still have to dress formal or is it more relaxed? When we do our annual cruise in Dec, we do all the formal stuff. When we go in Feb we like to just relax and no participate in the formal nights. Nothing against them, just our choice.

We ate at Sabatini's for the first formal night, but we still dressed up as if we were eating in the MDR. The men in our group did not wear jackets, however. They wore shirts with ties and slacks. I still wore the same cocktail dress I would have worn if we had eaten in the MDR. I DO believe all of us would have been completely fine and welcomed in smart casual attire though, and saw plenty of men who came in after us with just nice shirts and slacks, and women with blouses and slacks.

If you're eating in the Lido on formal night, just wear whatever is comfortable (shorts and jeans are fine there). Pretty much anything is fine there as long as you're not in a swimsuit.

To add to what TravlGrl said, we went to the Crown Grill on both formal nights, and dressed smart casual. No issues whatsoever.

Mike

Well you must have had a better pizza chef than we did. We went with a few other couples that we meet and we thought it was bland and did not integrate the tastes. We do know good pizza and this was not it. We got our special order of mushrooms,peppers and onions in less than 5 minutes after ordering. The mushrooms were thrown in a pile in the middle of the pizza. It did not seem like they even cooked it together. The cheese had no flavor.

The plain cheese pie was a bit better but tasted like cheese on cardboard.

The ingredients lacked integration on the pizza. Not enough cheese to make it flavorful and no spices.

In 22 cruises we have never had such an indifferent staff in all locations and so many issues on a ship. Sounds like little things and they were... I served myself while eating in the buffet with ice tea or water. Others got served. I did not wait for coffee or juice and did not care if they asked me if I would like this at the last bite of my food. Others would get very mad at this, but I just shrugged it off. But when you look at it as a whole, it was not desirable to be repeated. If this is the typical PCL experience we will not be cruising PCL much longer. We did buy 4 fcc and we will try it again.

What was the worst part was that this was so different from Star. Policies changed, and lack of a nice staff made it less than perfect cruise.

When a passenger asks for the ac to be checked they should not have to ask more than once and then to find out they never looked into it. I just gave up.

When it is finally a nice sea day to have the adult pool in the spa area closed because they just did not have the time to fill it is not right. It was not filled until mid afternoon.

To have babies with diapers in the other pools without any authority there telling them this is against the health codes, to have kids in the main pool with giant tubes and noodles not allowing any other people in the pool because of the room they took up is not right. To allow kids in the front rows unsupervised for the shows after announcing this is not allowed and not asking them to move the first 2 headliner shows was not right for the entire audience. When the act said they cannot compete with the kids even trying to be funny about it...where was the staff then?

To not get room service in the morning or my fruit sent to me because of kids taking the place cards out of the doors is not right. They knew this was happening and had security cameras but said they had no time to review them and find the kids.

To ask a staff member where the future cruise office was and to be given a hand movement interpreting ( over there) instead of something verbal or even being taken there is not what I expect on a ship of Princess caliber.

They also close the dining rooms now on port days. This is something new for Princess. The embarkation lunch also was watered down to very little in the way of choices. The entire lunch menu has been cut down on choices and courses.

And high tea, which I thought was special, is just LIPTON tea. As the waiter told me, why do people think it is so special, same tea in the dining room at night, only brewed in pots.

Oh well, I wish everyone a happy new year and a new year of cruising experiences.

We were on this cruise and the staff we interacted with were friendly and pleasant. It was our first Princess cruise in nearly three years and we prefer the old menus, but we thought the food was pretty good. One of the forward elevators was inoperative for the entire cruise and some elevators were out of order during the roughest sea day. Elevators have long been a problem on the Grand. The toilets can be an adventure - sometimes ours seemed to work on a delayed basis, but they always worked - eventually. Our balcony dividers were completely worn out and our cabin steward had to jury-rig them to keep them closed during high winds. It has been 8 years since our first cruise on the Grand, and for the most part, we thought she looked great.

It doesn't seem possible, but we paid substantially less for this cruise than our cruise on the Grand 8 years ago.

We had a good time on this cruise - it was a good vacation at a fantastic price.

We were also on this cruise, and agree with the original poster. We had a great time, and every staff member we encountered was very friendly. We were on Emerald deck mid ship. Our only complaint was the middle staircase was not available for use by passengers (crew only). Since we were only on deck 8, it would have been much easier to take stairs down to dining room or piazza.

Food: We always enjoy the food very much! We love seafood so we are very happy with choices in main dining room. We had anytime dining, and the only night we had to wait was the 2nd formal night. We went after the Captain's Circle cocktail party. Our buzzer went off about 7:15 so we only waited about 30 mins. Two nights they took us from DaVinci to Botticelli. The other nights if there was a wait we just went to the other dining room. All of our waiters were very friendly and good.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet, and there were always plenty of seats. Our favorite spot was to head to the back of ship and eat outside. We prefer to get our own drinks, but were always approached to see if we needed anything, or if we needed help finding seats.

Entertainment: We are not really into the shows. Went to see the comedian one night. Other nights we mostly went to Explorers to listen to music, play trivia, or whatever they had going on. Tried to watch MUTS one afternoon but it was the 2nd sea day, very rough with lots of rocking and rolling. The water in pool was splashing so high kids were squealing and having a great time. We just went aft to sit and enjoy the wake!! I did not see the CD, but I didn't really need to see him either;).

Enjoyed the Captain on this ship very much. He was very visible and friendly.:D

This was our 4th Princess cruise, and since the weather was rough were kinda wishing we had taken the Crown instead. Boy am I glad we were on the Grand after reading what happened to them. We were traveling with 2 other couples, one got seasick and had his room sanitized but was never made to stay in his room. He was only sick that 2nd sea day and was fine for Aruba, and did not get sick again.

We purchased our FCC's and are looking forward to our next cruise!!

We won a lot of the trivia so you must know us. The cruise staff you found friendly? They were so fast to end trivia that they sped through just to do it and end it and leave. You must have gotten to dinner at the right times and us the wrong times. All the nights but one we did not have to wait. And then when we did get a table we waited for the menu. And then water. And then an hour plus would go by and we were still waiting for appetizers to finish.

We never got refills without asking. AND I AM NICE.... I always smile and say pls and thank you. I always make friends with staff but this staff was very indifferent. We were never able to make reservations and they told us each night too crowded, wait over 90 minutes. We did get into formal night in the fixed dining room after a shorter wait than usual.

We never found seats easily in the horizon court. We never got a clean table around the piazza either.

The entertainment shows were close to terrible. I am use to much much better caliber of entertainment. This was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

If you have cruised PCL before you have to admit this had issues, Or you were issue free which is great. I guess you hit it all right, and we hit is all wrong. We also missed the popcorn on muts only to be told no more after being 5 minutes late. This just shows how indifferent they were. On a cruise I would think they would say, no problem, we will pop more.

We got closed out of ceramics after we were nice and let them all rush the open gate, even though we were there first. To be told sorry we only take 10 and not to call someone and add a table is not good customer service either.

Our cabin was on the warm side, and we made them aware twice and got nothing taken care of.

Did ice run out for you also on Princess Cays and did you find the staff just stand there telling you there is no ice .... or did they find some ice? I would have thought they would do this. And I allowed it to roll off my back and I did not say a thing negative.... heck i was on vacation. But when you add all of this together.

We were also told if we do not use our obc we lose them and they would be happy to take them back. I thought they were kidding only to find they were not. We do not spend while on board and we use our obc to put towards our next cruise. We did end up getting it all but this person at the pursers desk was not customer oriented at all.

It did not bother you in the least to see babies in diapers in the aft pool? Maybe you did not see that:, bad timing on my part again. And on the last sea day it took 3 of us calling to get them to fill the spa area pool after 12 pm. We were told to call and ask. A pool staff that was there said he cannot do anything so we need to complain. It just seemed like they were the laziest staff we have encountered in 22 other cruises. He should have taken the complaint and he should have called saying we were all wondering about when this pool would be filled. It was not our job to do this.

What about trying to use the Neptune pool with the kids using oversized tubes? Tossing the football and running from one side to another?

Elevator out without a rope across the open elevator for over 24 hours. This I found a dangerous thing. I do not use the elevators but found this to be a safety issue.

Our cabin was clean and kept nicely although I do not think they dusted well. When we got to the cabin the dust was so thick on the lamp arm that I cleaned it. I also told the cabin steward to pls dust or DH will snore. By the 5th night I was cleaning the dust off of the brass of the bed lamps.

I still had a nice cruise, given the weather, the rough seas ( i did not get sick) because it still beats being home. But these issues are issues if it happens to anyone.

Anyone not having these issues were lucky.

Archived