RCCL Radiance or Diamond Princess

cw2go

Okay These two routes are very simular as are with most Ak cruises.

I am seaking a southbound cruise to VanCouver for the actual inside passage sailing.

The trade off between the two iteneraries are Princess includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard but RCCL includes Hubbard and Icy Straight point.

So for me either have advantages Princess has a must see of Glacier

Bay BUT RCCL is out of Seward which we would equally love to see. With limited time this would be a great way to spend a day pre-cruise and add a Kenai Fjords Cruise.

So here a deal breaker for us, if any of you can advise: We want to sail inside passage not out and around into VanCouver? The maps are mis-leading Princess clearly states that it does where as RCCL seems to sail it out and back in? So does RCCL truely sail inside for the most scenic views?

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Your concern is inside VANCOUVER Island??? (this is not referred to as just "inside passage")

BOTH of these itineraries sail it, but you have no way of knowing the timing. I've sailed on a few ships that were all the way back, stalled with Vancouver in the distance the night prior. Other sailings had then not even to Campbell River by midnight.

If Kenai Fjord is your priority, then RCI is going to be your only answer with not having more than one day extra.

If you are wanting to sail from Alaska to Vancouver , have you considered HAL they also sail from Seward .

All cruises to/from Vancouver to Alaska pass east of Vancouver Island.

You have to decide where Seward or Whittier is more important?

Which Cruise line is the best fit for you?

If you are wanting to sail from Alaska to Vancouver , have you considered HAL they also sail from Seward .

All cruises to/from Vancouver to Alaska pass east of Vancouver Island.

You have to decide where Seward or Whittier is more important?

Which Cruise line is the best fit for you?

I completely agree.

We're going to Alaska for the first time this coming July. We picked the cruiseline first by intinerary and port times. many of the ships stop at pretty much the same ports, but vary when it comes to the time spent at those ports. I really wanted to get as much time as possible at each port and also prefered getting off the ship and seeing another place rather than seeing another glaciar. So only you can decide what YOU would rather see :)

We're going to be doing two behind the scense encounters at the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward, and for me that alone is worth flying half way around the world :) For someone else, glaciers might be the most exciting and important. It's up to you.

After picking the itinerary we wanted, we looked into the different ships and figured out which one was right for us in terms of size, food options and activities.

Budget Queen has helped me out a lot with great info, and I think the best thing she said was this - everything you pick you'll be missing something else. So just pick whatever you're most interested in seeing or doing.

For me, I looked at ship sizes (wanted smaller - assuming that they might be able to get closer...) then Glacier Bay - It is a National Park for a reason.

I also wanted R/T, & a few other things. I am only going to miss Sitka from my big list & any previous cruiser perks from my small list.

Your concern is inside VANCOUVER Island??? (this is not referred to as just "inside passage")

BOTH of these itineraries sail it, but you have no way of knowing the timing. I've sailed on a few ships that were all the way back, stalled with Vancouver in the distance the night prior. Other sailings had then not even to Campbell River by midnight.

If Kenai Fjord is your priority, then RCI is going to be your only answer with not having more than one day extra.

Yes, it seems the correct term is Inside VanCouver Island. That is for us a priority. I have sailed r/t Seattle and our greatest regret was not sailing with the most scenic option. So for us if RCCL gives us this route along with Seward it is a win win! (limited time for pre-cruise)

Thanks Patty

I completely agree.

We're going to Alaska for the first time this coming July. We picked the cruiseline first by intinerary and port times. many of the ships stop at pretty much the same ports, but vary when it comes to the time spent at those ports. I really wanted to get as much time as possible at each port and also prefered getting off the ship and seeing another place rather than seeing another glaciar. So only you can decide what YOU would rather see :)

We're going to be doing two behind the scense encounters at the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward, and for me that alone is worth flying half way around the world :) For someone else, glaciers might be the most exciting and important. It's up to you.

After picking the itinerary we wanted, we looked into the different ships and figured out which one was right for us in terms of size, food options and activities.

Budget Queen has helped me out a lot with great info, and I think the best thing she said was this - everything you pick you'll be missing something else. So just pick whatever you're most interested in seeing or doing.

I have sailed Ak and have done the r/t seattle that was a regret for us. So for our next sailing it is priority to get inside Vancouver Island. I agree Seward is high on our list of do's and I want to do the behind the scenes with the penguins :p between that and a Kenai Fjords cruise I would pass on a second glacier day even if it is Glacier Bay. Hubbard will do, to fix that nitch.

Also after sailing once before there is no doubt with Alaska there is always give and take, it is like trying to do all of Europe in one sailing. Never gonna happen!!!! But we have picked a few items to base this next sailing as priority and hoping to find our best fit and go again and again and again!!!!! :)

Thanks for your reply,

Patty

Yes, it seems the correct term is Inside VanCouver Island. That is for us a priority. I have sailed r/t Seattle and our greatest regret was not sailing with the most scenic option. So for us if RCCL gives us this route along with Seward it is a win win! (limited time for pre-cruise)

Thanks Patty

But you miss Glacier Bay, so it is a win-lose :D:D

If glaciers are a priority, you can still do Princess and get to Seward. It just takes a bit more effort and/or expense. Not knowing how much time you have before the cruise though, it is impossible to know if it would work out well.

But you miss Glacier Bay, so it is a win-lose :D:D

If glaciers are a priority, you can still do Princess and get to Seward. It just takes a bit more effort and/or expense. Not knowing how much time you have before the cruise though, it is impossible to know if it would work out well.

Tweaking on that option as well. I now have two cruise choices that are the path I am seeking so from here I will see how and what works for pre-cruise. We are limited with time and may opt for a cruise out of Seward to be able to get the most out of 2 nts precruise without rushing the entire time. Need buffer for travel issues and life as it happens.

but yes a win-lose...just gonna have to go back :p

Thanks for all your input, we have decided on RCCL Southbound. As much as I will miss Glacier Bay I can't help but want Seward more and with Hubbard I feel like we will get a fair trade. I know many rave about GB and I am sure when I see for myself, without doubt will be amazed but to be honest I LOVED Tracy Arm Fjord!!!! I had prepared myself for a bit of a disappointing day but to my surprise it was my favorite day of the whole week. I was so happy I had my layers on and hot cocoa in hand because I was camped top side for the entire morning. Never missed a word that Brent Nixon had to share and litteraly had to lift my jaw off the ship's deck. So I assume if that was the least favored of the Cruise-by glaciers I will never be disappointed.

Again thanks to all, :)

Patty

Thanks for all your input, we have decided on RCCL Southbound. As much as I will miss Glacier Bay I can't help but want Seward more and with Hubbard I feel like we will get a fair trade. I know many rave about GB and I am sure when I see for myself, without doubt will be amazed but to be honest I LOVED Tracy Arm Fjord!!!! I had prepared myself for a bit of a disappointing day but to my surprise it was my favorite day of the whole week. I was so happy I had my layers on and hot cocoa in hand because I was camped top side for the entire morning. Never missed a word that Brent Nixon had to share and litteraly had to lift my jaw off the ship's deck. So I assume if that was the least favored of the Cruise-by glaciers I will never be disappointed.

Again thanks to all, :)

Patty

If you loved Tracy Arm, you would have REALLY loved Glacier Bay. But I am sure you will have a great time on RCCL and at Hubbard.

Your comment about wanting Seward "more" is invalid though since you could have Seward and still sail from Whittier. But you already knew that.

If you loved Tracy Arm, you would have REALLY loved Glacier Bay. But I am sure you will have a great time on RCCL and at Hubbard.

Your comment about wanting Seward "more" is invalid though since you could have Seward and still sail from Whittier. But you already knew that.

Timing and money, they seem to always hold me back :D

Archived