Really all inclusive??

scarlett81

You have asked twice now about the size of the ship--do you have concerns that this is somehow a bad thing? If so, rest assured that the Regent ship size is wonderful--intimate but still large enough to have the kind of amenities you want. That being said, the public places have a little less to offer children, although it's certainly easier to keep track of them!

Thanks, I'm more concerned about a larger Celeb style ship being too many people. My husband thinks we'll just be standing in lines for 11 days. Just first timers here-have no clue what to expect.

Depending on who you talk to you get totally different opinions. Today I spoke with someone who said he woiuldn't like the smaller ships-bc he likes the feeling of getting 'lost' in the big ones. ???

We have only cruised on Regent -- after the first time, we were too spoiled ;) -- so I can't give a personal comparison like many others here can. But I can say when we've been in ports alongside some of the monster ships, we've been convinced we wouldn't be happy on them. On a Regent ship, no matter where your cabin is, you can be anywhere on the ship -- pool deck, theater, any restaurant, any bar, gangway for tours -- in 3-5 minutes. If you're on a middle deck, you can walk up or down two or three floors and bypass the elevators when you want. A line at a restaurant at a peak time consists of waiting a couple minutes while they seat 3 or 4 parties ahead of you. On the monster ships, none of that's true. We've seen people filing off the mega ships for tours, double file, in huge numbers, heading for rows and rows of tour buses. Yuck, I just wouldn't find that a fun experience.

-- Eric

All our earlier cruise experiances are in Princess, Hal, and Royal Caribbean ships with 2500 to 3500 passengers.... Beautiful ships but masses of people! Long lines, long waits, sign and sign some more, eat on their schedule, no body cares, you are a part of the masses.... Never mind you paid big bucks to be on that ship!

Regents smaller ships and passenger load give you a very intimate experience, the staff treats you as a special guest, eager to please, no lines a very personal experiance.

After experiencing Regent we have no intention of ever being on those huge ships again. We appreciate the Personal attention and pampering that all passengers receive no matter the catagory of cabin. We do not want to fight the crowds and beg for a table when we want to eat!

Some people want those huge impersonal ships, we do not!

What are some of the advantages to smaller passenger amounts? Shorter lines for everything? ...........

Other way 'round. No lines for most things. Longest line you will have is getting on/off tenders and since they hold 40-60 people the line usually goes fast.

I take my 7 grand kids on a cruise every year for the last 10 years and I would never take them on Regent. They would be bored to death. Maybe in Alaska when they have the kids program, but Regent just isn't set up for it. No dedicated kids area, video arcade, game rooms, kids pool, etc.

j

What you describe is EXACTLY what put us on Crystal in 2005, except it was for my Mother-in-law.

We put together a 10-day Alaska cruise for everything from a 5 month old baby to his 70 year old grandfather (who didn't cruise, eat fancy food, wear fancy clothes, etc), all with about three weeks planning. It was PERFECT for the occasion, but our tastes run different and Regent is more our style.

I hope your trip turns out as well, and means as much to your family as ours did.

MotuIslander-

Crystal is now in the running, only because I found an itinerary that we like, promo's for early May and the Serenity looks gorgeous. I know you said you took your kids there. Rather than me start another thread, can you comment on if/why you liked Crystal? How did it accommodate your needs with the kids?

Their website lists the many child programs they have from age 3 and up. I'm sure its not kid friendly the way RCI is, but the website is touting it as family/child friendly for sure. Thoughts?

Scarlett81 -

You asked how I came up with the "hypothetical" excursion costs -- Regent only started including excursions last year so what I did was to put in roughly what we had paid each cruise for the excursions we took when they were "paying". This was around $1000 each. Since excursions we have taken have included helicopter flights and full day ones like the trips to Seville and Granada which also include lunch and cost $250-300 pp I "discounted" the amount since, as Hondorner says the paying excursions are now reduced in cost. So I put in a total of $750 pp that I "guestimate" we would have to pay on another line.

Much of what I included was guestimated. It had to be!

MotuIslander-

Crystal is now in the running, only because I found an itinerary that we like, promo's for early May and the Serenity looks gorgeous. I know you said you took your kids there. Rather than me start another thread, can you comment on if/why you liked Crystal? How did it accommodate your needs with the kids?

Their website lists the many child programs they have from age 3 and up. I'm sure its not kid friendly the way RCI is, but the website is touting it as family/child friendly for sure. Thoughts?

One of the Crystal Symphony cruises I took had 34 children onboard. I was shocked to hear this from a crew member on the last day. I was not aware they were onboard. On an Alaska cruise there were more children due to a promotion and the time of year, etc. They were not a problem. Whichever ship you choose, I hope it works out well for your family. Please take note of the diffferences in standard cabins between Regent and Crystal.

Like someone said earlier, the crew LOVES children. I think its a nice break to have people with a lot of energy and excitement. In 11 years of sailing on Regent as a kid... the crew treats them like little VIP's. Its the fellow passengers that can sometimes get annoyed when Club Mariner goes to the pool deck or a public area and makes a lot of noise. however the counselors are very professional and fun and I've always enjoyed Regent.

Like many other Regent passengers, we cruise when school is in session to avoid children (been there. . . . done that). However, during the summer and school holidays, it is the families that finally have a chance to enjoy Regent. Adults who sail during these times should have nothing to say about children in the pool and around the ship (supervised, of course). Crystal also has a children's program when school is not in session so there are choices for families that want to travel on luxury ships.

Archived