Really all inclusive??

scarlett81

So I was recently given some rates for a regent med cruise for the spring. This line typically seems (to me, a first time still learning cruiser) to be much higher in price than others. Perhaps thats for a reason? They're motto is that they're truly all inclusive.

Airfare, transfers, some excursions, all suites on ships...But is this really the case?

For a party like ours, we'd need airfare for 6. But we have a couple million skymiles we're planning on using. So I'm not sure if spending extra for Regent is worth it. Additionally, are they family/good kid friendly? The rep is saying absolutely, but I'm not convinced.

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!

If you provide your own air, you get a credit on your cruise price. Regent's hotels also can be pretty pricey so if you provide your own air, transfers and get your own hotel pre or post cruise, you can get quite a bit of credit.

Regent is generally not a kids line but at certain times of year and certain itineraries, there are kids programs and they are well received. Don't know which sailing you are looking at.

If you read back through the many post I think that it will give you a lot of different perspectives on this. The 'suites' are really 'cabins' but very nicely sized. You will use your own air [& therefore transfers] and your miles may also encourage you to book your own hotels as many consider the Regent hotel prices [albeit included and rebated] to be excessive. The other inclusives are gratuities and alcoholic beverages, generally applauded by all. The tours are a mixed bag. Included in your fare, not rebatable...so it depends on how many of them you wish to utilize and your experience of them.

Yes -- Regent is all-inclusive. However, there are a few things that you can pay for if you wish. Ultra-brand name alcohol (above the level of Grey Goose vodka for instance), premium wines and some shore excursions. You would certainly be able to take plenty of shore excursions and drink to your heart's content without spending a penny (and tipping is included . . . if you have a desire to tip, it's better to make a donation to the crew fund which benefits everyone).

Regent is kid/family friendly to a point. You mention sailing in the spring. If this is a school holiday, Regent will generally have quite a few children on board and will have a special program for them (check the website for specific itineraries with this program). I hear that, despite the small ships and swimming pool, children do enjoy themselves. The staff absolutely love children.

When school is in session, there are few, if any children on board. We just returned from a cruise that one had 9 year old boy . . that's it. While most of the time the boy was perfectly behaved, he quickly learned that he could not run around on the ship.

You could certainly opt out of Regent airfare and/or pre-cruise hotel. You would receive a credit for your cruise. The air credit varies, the credit for the hotel is $200/person or $400/suite. You would lose transfers if you decide to use your own air.

Strongly suggest that you contact a TA (Travel Agent) that specializes in luxury cruising rather than booking through Regent. There are benefits to doing so.

Regent is a wonderful cruise line . . . . there is really nothing not to like:)

Well I just spoke with a Regent rep and got some hard numbers, so I have a better idea of what the costs will be. Its more within reach than I thought, but I have a few concerns.

If we use skymiles we will still get the airfare credit-Correct? That would help alot with price. Thats pretty much the only way we will go with Regent, since thats the purpose in us having skymiles in the first place.

I'm concerned about excursions. Will I just end up paying anyway for them? With Celeb, we have all private excursions planned(or will have planned them shortly) The reason is mainly for the kids, so we can go at our own pace, and so my father with 2 knee replacements can go at his pace and we end up seeing more with the time we have.

I'm not planning on private tours at each port, probably 2-3. Will I just end up paying double anyway if I go with Regent? How big are their included tours?

The included Alcohol is wonderful. My mom and I will only drink wine anyway, and for hubby and dad what is included will be plenty.

Room wise, Regents cabins look nicer-know thats subjective, but they really do, and larger. However in Celebrity we have scored a family room which is the size of a royal suite but priced as a regular stateroom.-reason being I travel with medical equipment and need extra private space to do my medical treatments early before the kids wake. However, with regents size rooms, it looks like I could do them in the bathroom.

:confused::confused::confused:

All-Inclusive.... Yep!! It is so nice to not have to sign for anything, not every glass of wine, not my DH Black Label.... Regent does not care what you drink or where you eat....we got off a 16 day Regent cruise owing less than $200 (Internet which for us is now free)..

Now what other cruiseline can this happen???

I think when you dissect the ingredients of a Regent cruise, while not exactly a bargain .... You will likely spend similar dollars on similar Med cruises when considering all the pieces of the puzzle...at least that is our opinion and we would never sail in a category lower than a balcony or Jr Suite on other lines.

Use your miles for air and get credit for air and hotel and the price really looks good :)

Happy sailing and Merry Day After Christmas!

PS we have actually sailed many more times than my signature seems to reflect.

All-Inclusive.... Yep!! It is so nice to not have to sign for anything, not every glass of wine, not my DH Black Label.... Regent does not care what you drink or where you eat....we got off a 16 day Regent cruise owing less than $200 (Internet which for us is now free)..

Now what other cruiseline can this happen???

I think when you dissect the ingredients of a Regent cruise, while not exactly a bargain .... You will likely spend similar dollars on similar Med cruises when considering all the pieces of the puzzle...at least that is our opinion and we would never sail in a category lower than a balcony or Jr Suite on other lines.

Use your miles for air and get credit for air and hotel and the price really looks good :)

Happy sailing and Merry Day After Christmas!

PS we have actually sailed many more times than my signature seems to reflect.

Thankyou! you sound like a regent pro. Would you mind giving any feedback on the regent/kids issue I just posted about also? The biggest concerns I have right now are that, and the cost of private excursions adding up.

My kids are all grown up now, but we started sailing with them when they were teens. They loved Regent then and love it now. But they were kids that are used to dining in nice restaurants and sitting still using good manners. They liked to read and didn't need a lot of extra entertainment. They liked going to the activities that Regent had planned for kids (video game nights with pizza, movies, scavenger hunts, even a private tour of the bridge). They also were old enough to stay in the cabin and watch movies on tv and order room service if they didn't want to dress up and dine with us.

If you have kids that are well-behaved and used to being around adults, Regent will be fine.

We always use our miles to get the airline tickets and take the credit for that. We also book our own hotels and get that credit. When you subtract those out, price is pretty reasonable.

As far as excursions, Regents included ones won't be like private tours. I have been on some great Regent tours, but some others not so great. How many people depends on the excursion. Don't know where you are wanting to go, but if it sounds like a bus tour, it is. We avoid those if at all possible.

Yiks... Not sure I'm a Regent pro but we have found Regent to mostly be to our liking and DH won't (or so he says) sail with anyone else. He hates the huge ships, 2000 to 3500 people on board, signing for every da-- thing and leaving most cruises with bills in excess of $2000... Tours, speciality dining and the famous bar bills.... We love our wine and DH is a Black Label drinker!

We have only done 2 cruises with Regent... A 7 day Baltic in late August and a 16 day Panama Canal over Christmas and New Years. The first had no children on board, the Christmas Cruise had about 20 under 18, and these kids ranged from a (1) baby in a stroller, a couple under 5, maybe 4 under 12, then a few teens... Ya my math is not so great but I know the 20 figure is correct...

These kids were VERY well behaved and in many instances better mannered than the adults... Our cruise had a number of grumpy and intolerant older folks on board... Every cruise seems to have that "one" passenger who is shall we say not a pleasure??? Ours did not appreciate several tables in the Compass Rose (main dining) singing Christmas Carols while waiting for desert!! They left in a huff.... Hope no one on CC recognizes themselves :)

I would look closely at the bathroom layout on the website for the ship you're considering, and think about whether it would be big enough for your needs.

As a veteran of 10 Regent cruises, I don't think it's the right line for kids. Not that I mind having them aboard, not at all. But I think they are often bored. When I was a child, I spent a lot of time among adults, and although I knew how to act, and was complimented on that frequently, it didn't mean I was having a good time--most of the time I was bored.

That goes double for excursions--you're right that private guides is the way to go, so you can give your kids some of the time they need to blow off steam and enjoy themselves. Some of the Regent excursions are great, but they are most often designed for adults.

Trust me, you really appreciate the all inclusive aspect of Regent once youve sailed on other lines. No extra per day gratuity charges, no extra for in suite beverages, etc.

Celebrity for instance has made an art out of extracting the maximum amount possible out of every cruiser.

Couple that with a smaller more intimate ship, and you will appreciate the value

An important value for us on Regent is you're traveling with a few hundred passengers opposed to a few thousand!

It's difficult to put a price on that - but for us it's worth it!

A few years back, when we were reboarding the Mariner in Skagway (in a minute or less), right next to our ship there was a mega-ship with a line of passengers the length of the entire dock. Another passenger (not in our party) commented that we could be drunk before they even made it on board.:eek:

We are taking the kids on a 2500 passenger DCL cruise next week and I just learned that I can BUY a beer mug for $15 that will allow me to get a 22oz beer for the price of a 16oz beer (at $6.75 each!). I want to enjoy myself on vacation, not worry how much I am spending on stuff that is included on Regent.

Our kids last sailed on Crystal and were just fine, but even their parents were kids compared to MOST of the passengers. I think when next they sail, it will be on Regent.

A few years back, when we were reboarding the Mariner in Skagway (in a minute or less), right next to our ship there was a mega-ship with a line of passengers the length of the entire dock. Another passenger (not in our party) commented that we could be drunk before they even made it on board.:eek:

We are taking the kids on a 2500 passenger DCL cruise next week and I just learned that I can BUY a beer mug for $15 that will allow me to get a 22oz beer for the price of a 16oz beer (at $6.75 each!). I want to enjoy myself on vacation, not worry how much I am spending on stuff that is included on Regent.

Our kids last sailed on Crystal and were just fine, but even their parents were kids compared to MOST of the passengers. I think when next they sail, it will be on Regent.

You had me chuckling...

We never said we'd do a cruise for this reason-the amount of people. We're more backpacking the Sinai type folks. But-this is my parents dream trip, their 50th anniv, and a beautiful itinerary so we are really excited. I also happen to think its a very practical way for your kids to easily see so many countries.

My husband is really stuck on how few passengers there are on Regent's ships. 700 compared to 2500...he just can't let this go. I'm no fan of lines by any means, but I just figured, we'll deal with it.

What are some of the advantages to smaller passenger amounts? Shorter lines for everything? I don't really want to steer him one way or the other, I'm just trying to have realistic expectations.

Just interested in some clarification. When your kids sailed on Crystal (a much larger ship than Regent) and were "just fine", what do you mean? Was it when school was out and Crystal had their children's program?

Just interested in some clarification. When your kids sailed on Crystal (a much larger ship than Regent) and were "just fine", what do you mean? Was it when school was out and Crystal had their children's program?

Actually it was the last sailing of the Harmony (960 passengers), so it was not TOO much bigger.

There was a kids program, but we were on Crystal for the Grandparents, not the kids. We enjoyed Crystal, but not as much as Regent (including PG).

I did a spread sheet comparing the per diem cost per person on Regent, Silversea, HAL, Oceania and a couple of other lines. Tried to find a same length and similar port itinerary for all. I put in the air credit and hotel credit for Regent since we cannot use those items (at least, the air we can't use, and the hotel we can do better on our own) and added a hypothetical excursion cost, on board drinks cost etc to the other lines as appropriate. Regent came out as the best value for money. I am sure I made some mistakes, but I think the underlying premisses were correct.

As for children - we avoid school holiday cruises so we can minimise the "risk" of having children on board. That said, on two cruises (Alaska and the Panama Canal) there have been children on board and they were very well behaved indeed. No running about, no noise and on excursions they listened to the guide and asked good questions. All of which was good because Regent's children's programme "Club Mariner" is not nearly as well set up, it seems to me, as the one we used for our daughter on the old Italian line. No dedicated space (they use Stars nightclub) and not nearly as much on offer.

I did a spread sheet comparing the per diem cost per person on Regent, Silversea, HAL, Oceania and a couple of other lines. Tried to find a same length and similar port itinerary for all. I put in the air credit and hotel credit for Regent since we cannot use those items (at least, the air we can't use, and the hotel we can do better on our own) and added a hypothetical excursion cost, on board drinks cost etc to the other lines as appropriate. Regent came out as the best value for money. I am sure I made some mistakes, but I think the underlying premisses were correct.

I'm trying to do that too, but having trouble estimating excursion costs-especially bc we want to do about 3 private excursions. I read here depending on the line you chose, private ones can cost the same as the ship's offered group ones.

How exactly did you come up with estimates?

MotuIslander-yes, if we go with Regent it would of course be for the grandparents too. Thats the point of all this. This is my dad's last trip-sadly. This is the trip my parents never got to do, bc they were busy raising 9 kids. And they want their grandkids there. So thats it.

Travelcat2-For us, kids clubs are a non issue bc we're not there for kids clubs. Whether its a cruise, a Disney hotel, or anything in between we don't put the kids in programs at all. No judgement to anyone that does, but its not our style. So thats a non issue.

As far as kids, look I think it boils down to this...I wouldn't let my daughter run around yelling on any cruise line, be it Regent, Celeb, or RCI...she's been to dozens of hotels from Disney to The Plaza and I wouldn't let her run screaming there either. I personally don't see much difference.

As for children - we avoid school holiday cruises so we can minimise the "risk" of having children on board. That said, on two cruises (Alaska and the Panama Canal) there have been children on board and they were very well behaved indeed. No running about, no noise and on excursions they listened to the guide and asked good questions. All of which was good because Regent's children's programme "Club Mariner" is not nearly as well set up, it seems to me, as the one we used for our daughter on the old Italian line. No dedicated space (they use Stars nightclub) and not nearly as much on offer.

Thank you so much for this post -- I thought that would be the case. The only difference is on a main line like HAL (which I really like) we forgoe the alcohol (we can bring wine) and lots of excursions - We don't have tons of money so Regent is a splurge and we will take excursions, use the air and hotel and transfers and relax with a great cocktail - and know we have paid for it already.

The issues about kids and such have been pretty thoroughly discussed, and it sounds like your kids would fit just fine. If it's your parents 50th anniversery that's what really counts, and I bet your kids know that!

So, I'll throw in my 2 cents about the excursions. I've only sailed Regent twice, in the Caribbean, because it's right on the edge of my financial willingness. The included excursions are just about what you would expect with ship's excursions on other cruise lines, with perhaps some Regent touches like fewer people in each bus. They are not up to most private excursions which typically use smaller conveyances, have more flexible schedules and because there is less time taken up with logistics, typically cover more ground. They are, however, perfectly saitisfactory if compared to paid excursions through other ships. They generally use the same tour providers available to other cruise lines although if there is a choice they will tend to use the best operators.

There premium tours are often the same that carry much higher costs on other cruise lines, such as helicopter or flight tours, and the costs associated with them on Regent is the difference between the typical included excursion and the extra cost. In other words, they are discounted, usually around $100 to $150 per person less. Typical might be touring to the Alhambra out of Malaga, which costs $199 on Oceania for a shorter tour and carries a list price of $299 on Regent because it has those Regent touches; it is offered on Regent for $149 per person extra. There are plenty of other tours in each port, and often there is no premium tour for many ports.

All that said, we take available included tours in almost every port on Regent, because we have paid for them in advance as part of the fare, but we usually arrange private tours when aboard other cruise lines. We have an Eastern Med cruise scheduled for April (on Oceania, Regent's sister ala carte cruise line, on the maiden voyage of their new ship Riviera), and we have private tours scheduled in Athens, Egypt, Israel, Ephesus and Istanbul. They are all for a party of four, are either the same cost or less expensive than the ship's tours, and all cover more territory, see more sights and include more things. In Egypt, we are actually leaving the ship for a night in a 5 star hotel in Cairo, the pyramids light show and a Nile dinner cruise and 2 days of touring, all for less than $300 per person. You usually can't match that on the tours provided by a ship whether ala carte, included or premium.

Finally, you can go to Regent's web site, click on Ports and Excursions, and see some typical excursions for many regions. Some of the ports show no excursions, and none of them indicate whether they are included or premium, which is a bit misleading, but there are some clues to be gleaned there.

Travelcat2-For us, kids clubs are a non issue bc we're not there for kids clubs. Whether its a cruise, a Disney hotel, or anything in between we don't put the kids in programs at all. No judgement to anyone that does, but its not our style. So thats a non issue.

As far as kids, look I think it boils down to this...I wouldn't let my daughter run around yelling on any cruise line, be it Regent, Celeb, or RCI...she's been to dozens of hotels from Disney to The Plaza and I wouldn't let her run screaming there either. I personally don't see much difference.

The diffence between regular cruise lines and Regent (and this is a guess since we have not sailed on any other line besides Silversea and Disney) is that dinner in Compass Rose takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After a day of touring, it could be a lot to expect children so young to sit quietly and wait for their meals. If they were a bit older and could understand the situation better (particularly the baby), it would be easier for everyone. Anyway, do not want to belabor the children issue as almost all posters have similiar opinions.

In terms of excursions, it will work well for your dad as there are generally several disabled people on board and Regent employees give them special treatment (as they should). Regent's half day tours would probably work well. I don't feel that they rush through their tours (actually, they are too slow for many of us). If you give us the ports you would be stopping at, we could give you better suggestions. There are some places (Santorini for instance) where you could have a wonderful day without doing a tour).

If you want to get an idea of private tour costs in a particular port, you can check out the "Ports" section of CruiseCritic. Here is a link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 . Many times they give recommendations for private tour companies and you could look at their website.

A close friend sails on Celebrity and always says that there is no way you can compare the size of their larger suites with Regent suites. Regent is large by luxury standards, but not compared to mass market cruiselines. It also depends upon which Regent ship. The Voyager has larger "regular" suites than it's sister ship, the Mariner. On the other hand, the Mariner's Penthouse suites are very large compared to the Voyager. There are a few suites on both ships that have a sofa that converts into a bed.

A close friend sails on Celebrity and always says that there is no way you can compare the size of their larger suites with Regent suites. Regent is large by luxury standards, but not compared to mass market cruiselines. It also depends upon which Regent ship. The Voyager has larger "regular" suites than it's sister ship, the Mariner. On the other hand, the Mariner's Penthouse suites are very large compared to the Voyager. There are a few suites on both ships that have a sofa that converts into a bed.

Thank you for that helpful info.

What do you think about passenger size? Do you feel a difference sailing on Regent with 600-700 passengers as opposed to Celeb holding 2,000-3,000?

MotuIslander-yes, if we go with Regent it would of course be for the grandparents too. Thats the point of all this. This is my dad's last trip-sadly. This is the trip my parents never got to do, bc they were busy raising 9 kids. And they want their grandkids there. So thats it.

What you describe is EXACTLY what put us on Crystal in 2005, except it was for my Mother-in-law.

We put together a 10-day Alaska cruise for everything from a 5 month old baby to his 70 year old grandfather (who didn't cruise, eat fancy food, wear fancy clothes, etc), all with about three weeks planning. It was PERFECT for the occasion, but our tastes run different and Regent is more our style.

I hope your trip turns out as well, and means as much to your family as ours did.

We just got off an 11-day cruise on Mariner, and because it spanned Christmas, there were many families (and triple-generation families) aboard. Kids ranged in age from infants to toddlers to young teens to late teens to young adults. I can't speak to whether the kids (or parents) were happy throughout the trip, but I can say from our perspective that the children were never an issue for us as fellow passengers. Well, one afternoon, the kids somewhat dominated the pool (not the pool deck, just the pool), but it wasn't really a problem (didn't get loud or rowdy).

As for meals in Compass Rose, I saw families there with their infant children, and it was never an issue. Either these kids never cried during dinner, or were whisked away quickly -- but we never heard a peep from young kids during meals.

Scarlett81, if you and your husband are going to alternate nights staying with one or both kids in the room during dinner, as you said (perhaps in the other thread), then this is really a non-issue. But I just wanted to give you my observations from this cruise during "kid season". ;)

-- Eric

Thank you for that helpful info.

What do you think about passenger size? Do you feel a difference sailing on Regent with 600-700 passengers as opposed to Celeb holding 2,000-3,000?

You have asked twice now about the size of the ship--do you have concerns that this is somehow a bad thing? If so, rest assured that the Regent ship size is wonderful--intimate but still large enough to have the kind of amenities you want. That being said, the public places have a little less to offer children, although it's certainly easier to keep track of them!

Archived