15% gratuity on all drinks

Ewoodspark

Guest LoveMyBoxer

You really should be careful what you say on these boards before starting problems. Again, looking back through your 20 (at the time) postings, here is how this vacation breakdown goes, since you insist that an all inclusive is so much better:

6 nights at Norman Manley, Kingston on March 15th for 6 night at Couples Tower Isle approximately $ for the cheapest room (guessing you don't splurge) $2,662.49

7 nights on the Pearl for an inside (again guessing you don't splurge) approximately $1,167.90

The difference from the all inclusive (which includes drinks and tips) is $1494.59.

That $1494.59 is how much more you are being charged for the drinks and the tips. Now take that money and tip the staff!!! LOL

On the last repositioning cruise we went on (15 days) we had a lengthy chat with our adopted poolside bar server about the pay structure for such employees.

Basically, they all receive a minimum salary for the month... which in turn is used to set a quota for them for the number of drinks they must sell to reach this quota. The method used is simple: the basic price of the drink goes to the cruise line offsetting the cost (with profit built in of course,as it is a business after all) and the 15 percent "gratuity" is divided between the bar server and the bar manager roughly as follows: 2/3 of the gratuity goes to the server and 1/3 to the bar manager. So on a 10 dollar drink, 1 dollar goes to the server towards his or her quota, and 50 cents goes to the bar manager, who is responsible for all servers and their quotas.

Once the server has made the quota for the month, any additional 15 percent beverage gratuities are divided the same way and serve to increase the worker's salary for the month. This practice rewards the hardest working servers by allowing them to complete their quotas as soon as they can and keep the additional funds going forward. Note: those who consistently do not make their minimum quotas are usually not around very long. The best servers will make their quotas early in the month and try to increase their lots as the month progresses and these are the individuals who are considered for advancement.

Therefore, refusing to pay the 15 percent gratuity on beverages is essentially denying someone the ability to earn their wages, and could cost someone their job.

This is the pay structure that the cruise line has adopted and despite local customs you may have on land in your hometown... you can not expect individual workers to adapt to your customs at the expense of their livelihood. The cruise line has implemented a structure that they feel works for their business, and it is their business to run.

The best approach is to assume the final price on your bill for each drink is the price of the drink, and forget the word gratuity altogether. In some cases... You may even find that your server has gone above and beyond and you may even wish to add in a little something extra... I know we have many times.

Good luck!

$6 a bottle is enough to pay anyway.

Really? :confused: Says who? Is this something that you can support with facts, or is it just your very biased opinion?

Here is another helpful hint since this will be your first cruise experience.

Looking over your CC history, it isn't hard to see the repeated theme(s). When you get to the ship, you will receive a Freestyle Daily (if not, you can pick one up when you get called to the Naughty Room). You will also receive a Freestyle Daily each night in your room (however, you might be "forgotten" when time for this service since the person who provides it works for tips...just like the people who will handle your food).

Look in the Freestyle Dailies in the daily schedule for "Friends of Bill W.". Based on what you've posted, you probably could benefit...and no tipping is expected!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Ofcourse, since you seem to like your drinks and everything included in the cost, there is always Crystal Cruises or any other luxury cruise line, which includes everything in their price. Jeez!

Amazing reaction from yet another American. If NCL decided to make the 15% gratuity compulsory, they would say so. Their own web site says it is recommended. If it would upset a bar person to get me a bottle of beer and not receive any gratuity, then they should address the problem with the cruise line. $6 a bottle is enough to pay anyway.

Well OP, I do have to say I am extremely disappointed and disheartened to see the last few posts you have written.

I did give you the benefit of the doubt that you were seriously asking a question due to being naive about world travel and the need to follow appropriate customs.

As stated by some as well as myself. This is not an American custom but a custom of the cruiseline you have chosen, and possibly most if not all other cruiselines. It is also part of the bar tenders salary. The first part of his/her pay is a base salary paid by the company, the tip part is like a commission. So yes it is rude to remove the 2nd part without reason and since you are wanting to do this ahead of time, there is certainly no reason.

I do not say this because I live in a country where this tipping custom is common place or that I am taking "umbridge to the post". I personally hate the tipping system but it is our custom and therefore unless it changed, it is what it is and I will abide by it.

I'm sorry to hear that you appear to have no intention of honoring these and to that I say good luck to you and hope that you don't intend to drink very much. Not because I think the bartenders will gather as a group to black ball you but because since this amount is automatically added to each bill printed from their cash register, that you will be spending most of your time on board searching for someone in authority to reverse the charge on the cash register. Have fun.

So according to your postings:

Johnh1995

Yes, we fly to Norman Manley, Kingston on March...

Yes, we fly to Norman Manley, Kingston on March 15th for 6 night at Couples Tower Isle and then join the Pearl on 21st March in Ocho Rios for 7 nights. The prices looked good when we booked with...

Are you joining the Pear half way through her cruise and then doing another half cruise on the way back? There is no itinerary for the Pearl sailing from Jamaica on a 21/3/2012??

Actually, yes, that is exactly what he is doing. This is a special deal offered thru a specific Travel Agent that combines the land-based and cruise vacations. The TA "owns" the room on the ship and has a deal with the Cruise Line to let their guests embark/disembark at a different port (Jamaica, in this case) instead of the ship's normal homeport (Miami, in this case).

Really? :confused: Says who? Is this something that you can support with facts, or is it just your very biased opinion?

Here is another helpful hint since this will be your first cruise experience.

Looking over your CC history, it isn't hard to see the repeated theme(s). When you get to the ship, you will receive a Freestyle Daily (if not, you can pick one up when you get called to the Naughty Room). You will also receive a Freestyle Daily each night in your room (however, you might be "forgotten" when time for this service since the person who provides it works for tips...just like the people who will handle your food).

Look in the Freestyle Dailies in the daily schedule for "Friends of Bill W.". Based on what you've posted, you probably could benefit...and no tipping is expected!

I thought the same when I went over his posts. Hiccup!:D

OP has repeatedly begun a xenophobic rant on this thread. I'm thinking that isn't real wise. Eventually someone will respond to it with a mention of Flanders or a beach at Normandy and then the rant will hafta end.

LMB, you've got a point. There is no telling what could be in those drinks.

Amazing reaction from yet another American. If NCL decided to make the 15% gratuity compulsory, they would say so. Their own web site says it is recommended. If it would upset a bar person to get me a bottle of beer and not receive any gratuity, then they should address the problem with the cruise line. $6 a bottle is enough to pay anyway.

The website says that it's recommended but once you get onboard you'll find that it is automatically added to your bill. It will read "beer- 5.50 gratuitity- .83 sub-total- 6.33 add'l tip- ________ total- ______".

They have in fact made it automatic on every bar check. They even leave an extra line in case you would like to tip extra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Booking through NCL UK we always prepay our DSC as the GBP equivalent is a bit cheaper (£6.50 pppd) so it is less of a hit on the on-board bill. We usually tip our room steward a bit extra and usually we 'adopt' a Martini bar waiter as well! Our onboard spend is horrendous enough as it is!:D

We always make a point of filling out STYLE cards where appropriate - apparently these give the crew better perks and promotions.

Personally, when I hear Brits boasting about removing their tips/DSC/gratuities I cringe inside and make a point of disassociating myself from them as quickly as is polite(ish).

To any Brits thinking of stiffing the crew - remember that one of the worst social crimes is to welch on your round in the pub - this is the same thing - and you are doing it to people who can least afford it.

So ncl is charging U.S. $12 per day and you guys equal to $8.52 per day This is an interesting issue. PLEASE NCL EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
So ncl is charging U.S. $12 per day and you guys equal to $8.52 per day This is an interesting issue. PLEASE NCL EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I believe they are also charged higher cruise fares than in the U.S.

I believe they are also charged higher cruise fares than in the U.S.

We pay substantially more for the same cruise than is charged on the US site. (We cannot book through NCL.com BTW). Some of this price difference can be explained by the EU Directives that give us more consumer protection than a US pax.

Regardless of how or with whom you booked the cruise portion of your trip you are still held to the Guest Ticket Contract:

The transportation of passengers and baggage is governed by the terms and conditions of the Guest Ticket Contract contained in the Passenger Cruise Ticket. Your acceptance of the Guest Ticket Contract and acceptance of passage on the vessel constitute acceptance of the terms, conditions and information contained in this brochure and the Guest Ticket Contract. The Guest Ticket Contract contains information that affects your legal rights, and we recommend you read the terms carefully.

NCL also recommends that all guests sreview the Additional Terms and Conditions listed below.

NCL is not responsible or liable for typographical errors, omissions or misprints. NCL further reserves the right to correct or amend the brochure or website. This web page may be withdrawn by NCL at any time, in its sole discretion, without notice to any party.

NCL reserves the right to decline to accept or retain any person as a passenger on the cruise at any time. Each passenger - or if a minor, his/her parent or guardian - shall be liable to and reimburse NCL for all damage to the ship and its furnishings, equipment and property caused by any willful or negligent act or omission on the part of the passenger. The ship's captain may refuse transportation to any passenger or may require any passenger to disembark who, in the sole discretion of the ship's captain, is believed to be dangerous to himself or herself, or others, or disturbs NCL's other passengers or crew. Such passenger may be left at any port or place the ship calls without any liability to NCL. NCL shall not be required to refund any portion of the fare paid by any passenger who must leave the ship prematurely for any of the reasons set forth in this paragraph or who voluntarily disembarks or leaves the ship for any other reason, nor shall it be responsible for lodging, medical care expenses, meals, return transportation or other expenses incurred by the passenger. (For further information, see paragraph 4 of the Guest Ticket Contract.)

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a standard 15% gratuity on all drinks. Is this 15% gratuity enforceable or is it like in a restaurant, when if you do not consider you have good service, you refuse to paying any service charge. When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle. If I guess that you sign for all drinks with no actual cash taking place, can you delete the gratuity and sign for the actual drink. I am not too sure whether this may rather annoy or upset the bar staff, but what is the gratuity actually for? I know that all Americans seem to live on tips, but I am not American, and the cruise is in the Caribbean.

just to clear a few things up: no, Americans do not live on tips: most of the crew on all cruise lines are not American and all 3 of the cruise lines we have been on in the past year or so have had the auto 15% on all drinks. Oh, and one more thing, I am not a beer drinker so I can't comment on the price for beer, but the price of wine on NCL or any other cruise line isn't any higher than we pay at most bars and restaurants in the USA and cheaper in many cases.

NIta

Howard, thanks for your comments and I note where you live. The point I am asking is what is the gratuity actually for? For somebody to pour a drink or pass me a bottle, are you saying that this should warrant a 15% tip. For what? Doing his or her job? I am certainly not objecting to tipping a bar person if I have been served a number of drinks, but I certainly do not hold with the concept of being forced to pay a 15% gratuity for ordering i drink.

I treat the amount as a charge and one that all lines working out of the U. S. make. What burned me was I booked on =X= and then they spun off Azamara. On Az, they increased the price of beer $1.00 AND the "tip" to 18%! Now THAT's a rip-off.

What's it really for? To help pay the help!

Howard, thanks for your comments and I note where you live. The point I am asking is what is the gratuity actually for? For somebody to pour a drink or pass me a bottle, are you saying that this should warrant a 15% tip. For what? Doing his or her job? I am certainly not objecting to tipping a bar person if I have been served a number of drinks, but I certainly do not hold with the concept of being forced to pay a 15% gratuity for ordering i drink.

John, several people have answered you, but you don't seem to want to accept the answer. So tipping isn't the rule of thumb in UK, (although service charges are) it is the rule of thumb on all cruise lines, so you will have to live with this.

Last time we were in UK we stayed at the Gatwick Hilton. The only breakfast was a buffet, it was over $20 US per person, very middle of the road and yes, there was a 10% service charge added. Did we like that? Nope, was the food worth the money? Nope, did we argue or pout? Nope, it is the custom and we abide by the customs of the courtry wherever we are.

Nita

I notice that you are not sailing until March 2013 (from your sig block thingy)

TOP TIP - spend some time on Cruise Critic reading, understanding and absorbing how things work elsewhere than in Lancashire (posting on CC might be a bad plan at the moment!)

I notice that you are not sailing until March 2013 (from your sig block thingy)

TOP TIP - spend some time on Cruise Critic reading, understanding and absorbing how things work elsewhere than in Lancashire (posting on CC might be a bad plan at the moment!)

I think he just made a mistake on his signature. He is posting on the roll call for March 2012.

Archived