Eden Rock has anyone been there lately?

sj25

I think you were the last one to visit. :D

I guess so...I am just taking another couple on their first cruise and was hoping to make sure it was as nice and alot of tarpen fish there.:confused:

Tarpon are still there. You can usually find them over by the entrance ladders at Paradise Restaurant and then see some down below in some of the coral canyons. A pretty big Barracuda sometimes hangs out under the water trampoline vicinity as well.

Thanks, I knew when we went there they even feed them and that brought so many fish in.

About these tarpon fish...are they mean? friendly? I've seen a lot of pictures of them recently with snorkelers and I have never come across them while snorkeling. So, I was just wondering.

I use to have a HUGE arrowana fish and he was mean as can be and these tarpon fish remind me of them.

• 2 weeks later...
About these tarpon fish...are they mean? friendly? I've seen a lot of pictures of them recently with snorkelers and I have never come across them while snorkeling. So, I was just wondering.

I use to have a HUGE arrowana fish and he was mean as can be and these tarpon fish remind me of them.

No they are not mean ...they look mean and scary but would swim right up next to them and bump side to them. we are going to go there in 2 weeks...can't wait. It is one of the best sites I have been to snorkle and free and walking distance from the ship!:)

No they are not mean ...they look mean and scary but would swim right up next to them and bump side to them. we are going to go there in 2 weeks...can't wait. It is one of the best sites I have been to snorkle and free and walking distance from the ship!:)

Thanks for the info. I know they sure were watching us and "looked" mean. So good to know I don't have to fear them if I run into them again. :)

We'll be there too! :) Can't wait! I've never snorkeled here and was just looking at Cemetery Beach too..now I'm not sure which I'd prefer. ne know how it is now!

:)[/quot

We'll be there too! :) Can't wait! I've never snorkeled here and was just looking at Cemetery Beach too..now I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Well all I can say I was sooo pleased last time I went...maybe we will see each other. We have another couple going with us and they are so excited.

Is Cemetery Beach walking distance or is it a tour?

Well all I can say I was sooo pleased last time I went...maybe we will see each other. We have another couple going with us and they are so excited.

Is Cemetery Beach walking distance or is it a tour?

Cemetery Beach is exactly that...DEAD. Don't go its one of the most disappointing snorkel spots i've ever been, and I snorkel almost every island i visit. And no you cannot walk there its at the far end of 7 mile beach

Cemetery Beach is exactly that...DEAD. Don't go its one of the most disappointing snorkel spots i've ever been, and I snorkel almost every island i visit. And no you cannot walk there its at the far end of 7 mile beach

Thanks for posting this cause I was looking at it...to see if it was better then Eden Rock...I just hope it was as nice as the 2 times we've been there.

Thanks for posting this cause I was looking at it...to see if it was better then Eden Rock...I just hope it was as nice as the 2 times we've been there.

I will be in cayman in March. Plan on going to Eden Rock. I was going to go last time I was there and went to eden rock instead. Eden Rock can't be worse, trust me on this.

Yes, thanks for the input...Eden Rock it is.

And yes Julie, 'll look for you at the M&M. :)

I have been to Eden Rock in a previous cruise and did snorkling there but has bee about 3 years. So didn't know if anyone else has been there lately?

We snorkled there in November 2011, on our own, just rented mask and fins. Had a great day. Tons of fish, two or three tarpon, lots of Jack, saw two Cuda-- one 3ish feet, one closer to 5. Water was calm and warm. Not crowded...there was one excursion of newbies but they were far away from us, a half dozen scuba divers scattered around near Devils Ghrotto. Lovely day if you are a snorkle fan.

We snorkled there in November 2011, on our own, just rented mask and fins. Had a great day. Tons of fish, two or three tarpon, lots of Jack, saw two Cuda-- one 3ish feet, one closer to 5. Water was calm and warm. Not crowded...there was one excursion of newbies but they were far away from us, a half dozen scuba divers scattered around near Devils Ghrotto. Lovely day if you are a snorkle fan.

Thanks for your input elcuchio :)

I am taking a waterproof camera with me, so I'll post up some pics when we get back too.

Thanks for your input elcuchio :)

I am taking a waterproof camera with me, so I'll post up some pics when we get back too.

If the sun is out the clear water makes for some great underwater photos! I have a pic with that small Barracuda about 30 inches from my foot, lol:)

Have fun!

My wife and I just returned from our cruise. We went to Eden Rock and loved it. We didn't see the tarpon or any large fish but a very nice variety of smaller ones. We had a great time. The staff there was great, this is inexpensive and beautiful and has become one of my favorite spots in the Caribbean. I'll see if I can get some of my pics up soon.

My wife and I just returned from our cruise. We went to Eden Rock and loved it. We didn't see the tarpon or any large fish but a very nice variety of smaller ones. We had a great time. The staff there was great, this is inexpensive and beautiful and has become one of my favorite spots in the Caribbean. I'll see if I can get some of my pics up soon.

Can't wait to see your pictures. Glad you had a great time.

Did you get to take any underwater pics?

How do you get to Eden Rock from the cruise terminal? Is there a restaurant there? How about beach access or a place to sit if we don't want to snorkel as long as the others in our group. I know some of the girls would prefer to lounge in the sun with a cool drink.

How do you get to Eden Rock from the cruise terminal? Is there a restaurant there? How about beach access or a place to sit if we don't want to snorkel as long as the others in our group. I know some of the girls would prefer to lounge in the sun with a cool drink.

It's maybe 400 yards down the shore to the right of the tender pier. Easy walk. It's a diveshop only, no food, no cocktails, no loungers. There is no beach, it's very rocky. The entrance is down a ladder into good deep water. There are a couple resorts/restaurants a little further down the coast that have food/drinks etc that might work better if some of yor party aren't planning on being in the water.

if you continue down the road, 1 mile south of town you'll find Sunset House with basically the same snorkeling and 'My Bar' where the others in the group can enjoy sun and libations. There's no beach here as the area is 'iron shore' that's why the snorkeling is good - basically the reef runs right up on to land.

In the past if you are buying at the bar and ask nicely, they've been know to say 'sure, use the pool' . . .

http://sunsethouse.com/video.php

Well, it isn't going to win any culinary awards, but "Paradise by the Sea" is literally right next door to Eden Rock, has its own entrance to the snorkel area, and has food and drink. It may be just what you are looking for, as long as you are not in search of fine dining.

http://www.ecayonline.com/view_company_information.asp?fivepm_company=2585

Archived