Carnival = Its time to Raise the Bar

mrrugby

I agree standards have slipped but, also get a kick out of listening to people complain about how someone dressed, but do not seem to have the bolos to go confront that person and lay it on the table...:cool:

By not bringing it to their attention, is it really a lack of "bolos" or having the presence of mind to know what topics NOT to bring up to someone?

I can't tell you how many times (just yesterday in fact!) I am waiting at traffic lights next to someone who intentionally tosses their cigarette butt to the ground. AS MUCH AS IT DISGUSTS ME, I realize that bringing it to their attention would not be the best course of action. No, instead I take down their car/plate info and call a local number who will then send them an "official" letter. ;)

Tom

Carnival generates revenue by charging considerably lower rates than competing cruise lines and thus, making cruising affordable for everyone. Unfortunately, keeping rates low enough to keep people coming has meant cutting corners in service and product quality, and it's something that is somewhat expected when cruising on them these days. Many of us sail on Carnival knowing that it will be a budget experience, but we are willing to put up with it to enjoy the basic pleasure of cruising for less.

Low rates also mean that many fellow cruisers may not be the most traveled, sophisticated, well mannered, or refined bunch, but that's something that we've learned to expect as well when traveling on Carnival. We just laugh it off now.

Your complaints are echoed by many others, specially loyal Carnival cruisers who've watched Carnival's product decline over the years. But as many (including yourself) have discovered, it seems like if you want to experience a better cruise experience, you'll need to pay a bit extra and sail other cruise lines not so concerned with offering the absolute lowest rate possible.

Excellent post Tapi, I totally agree. You have a knack for posting exactly what I was thinking. :D

By not bringing it to their attention, is it really a lack of "bolos" or having the presence of mind to know what topics NOT to bring up to someone?

Tom

If it was sooooo upsetting to me that my Cruise was ruined I would.. :rolleyes:

I am not defending the slobs but, I am not so worried about what the next person is doing that my vacation is ruined. When these little gems show up, I look at it as a great photo op!

:cool:

I just saw this thread and wanted to get a word out to new Carnival cruisers, that what others experience might not be your own. We have been cruising for ~20 years and while we have seen changes, we have also seen improvements. As some might have seen from my FB and other CC posts, The Carnival Paradise repositioning cruise far exceeded our expectations.

Here I'd like to briefly emphasize the "all". It did not matter who the worker was, Officers, MDR staff, Room Stewards, Maintenance Workers, Lido Deck, Bar Servers, everyone went over and above with bright smiles, hellos, good morning/afternoon/evening, how was your port or day at sea. It did not matter that they were not necessarily assigned to our MDR table or our guest cabin. It is obvious that Captain Basso, Hotel Director Bunton, and the rest of the officers not only have high expectations, but they themselves set the example with guests and with one another.

I often read here that passengers accuse Carnival of lowering its standards of service, product, and caring. Well I'm here to tell you that the bar has been raised to new heights with what we personally experienced on this sailing from so many departments it's clear that they have fleet-wide training sessions and it seems people are listening.

For the officers, crew, and staff on The Carnival Paradise, I'd just like to send a thank you once more for a fantastic job making this cruise one to remember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Allowing a grown man in his 30's to wear Sponge Bob Square Pants Pajamas in the Dining room on formal night? Oh and i forgot his camoflauge antlers.

I was on this cruise too and when I saw this man my jaw dropped. I was embarassed for him but certainly didn't let it get to me. I was more offended by the 300 lb woman who felt it was ok to wear a string bikini. You could barely tell she was wearing a bottom because of her fat roll. And when she decided to run after her child....:eek::p

8. The cruise director was Josh......All I will say is that when children are walking the ship mocking the cruise director for his poor ability to make announcements....that should be an indication......Josh, here is a hint! The phrase "a quick heads up" should not be repeated 3-7 times per announcement every time you make an announcement!

I have to disagree with you here. We met Josh in St. Maarten and spent about 30 minutes chatting with him in a restaurant. I think he is very personable and a very nice guy. His announcements didn't bother me at all. I though he was a perfectly fine CD.

If it was sooooo upsetting to me that my Cruise was ruined I would.. :rolleyes:

I am not defending the slobs but, I am not so worried about what the next person is doing that my vacation is ruined. When these little gems show up, I look at it as a great photo op!

:cool:

Fortunately, we don't allow it to impact our vacation either. It's more of a shushed "hey, look over that.. no behind her. YES... amazing - huh?" :D It's just a small glimpse of society as a whole - there is ALWAYS going to be something somewhere which does not fit in with your own parameters of "normal". I think most everyone, instinctively, spots things which stand out - whether it matters or not.

Tom

... It is obvious that Captain Basso, Hotel Director Bunton, and the rest of the officers not only have high expectations, but they themselves set the example with guests and with one another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has to start with the top brass - if they have it together, it will show through the ranks... a "tight" ship (not necessairly uptight!) does not happen by accident!

Tom

I've stated on here before that I don't care what people wear, as long as it fits and is clean. No 'large' person wearing pants that are so small that the wedgie will never see the light of day. No shirt so small that the belly flap is exposed for all to see. No 'small' person with clothes so large I'm seeing their underwear. I also don't want to see the 'bimbo' .... only half dressed, and I don't want to see anyone walking around with the same clothes that they clean the house, garage in. I'd like to amend this statement and add pj's. No pj's in public if your over, .. say 5, and definitely none in the eating areas.

I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2003 and am not cruising again until March. I'm sure things will have changed and I will certainly try not to let certain things get to me.

As for the way people dress in the dining room ... this is one of those 'hot' buttons. We can debate the flip-flop issue for days. Personally, I don't think wearing jeans to the MDR is appropriate, saw it on Princess in 2007. You know what? Once the guy sat down at his table with his family, it didn't affect me at all ... interesting.

The judging that goes on here is unbelievable. "My dinner was ruined because Joe Smith came in wearing something I don't think is appropriate" just blows my mind.

You all moan and groan about the idiot wearing pajama pants - agree, inappropriate, but what about the 'bimbo' with the too small red dress with her boobs and butt hanging out ... really? THAT's appropriate?

You know what? You sit at your table, eat your meal, and mind your own freaking business. Who made you judge and jury? If the way others dress offends you, talk to the Maitre'D (sp?) and express your dissatisfaction.

Is there an attitude of entitlement - you bet! We see it everywhere. But, again, we are not here to judge everyone else. I'm pretty sure that we all do something that ticks someone else off!

To the OP - you had a crummy cruise - you picked out the things that bother YOU. Thank you for pointing them out. They are your opinion and and based on your opinion, they are your observations. Now, the people here are going to somewhat agree, agree fully, or disagree. Great - that's because we all interpret things differently.

My only hangup is when someone says "she wore flip-flops into the MDR and I it ruined my meal". Really? Were you under the table the entire time mesmorized by someone's shoes? No, so who cares. Who really cares? If these things really do make you ill, then by all means, start booking on the luxury lines that have cruisers who are so much better than Carnival cruisers.

I'm sorry for my rant, but it just seems so petty to be judging people ALL THE TIME.

Agree 100% !!!!

The reason people are complaining is because, not so long ago, CCL used to be a much better product. It seems like CCL is pandering to the lowest common denominator.

My first cruise was in 2007. I fell in love with cruising on the Miracle. I have since been on 4 more cruises. Three of those were on the Miracle again. It's not difficult to notice the lack of rule enforcement and cutbacks when you are sailing the same ship over and over. Frankly, it's depressing.

I'm a very casual person on vacation. It's why we eat at the Lido for dinner. On the rare occasion we go to the MDR, we dress like civilized people. I expect my cruise mates to dress like civilized people too. I am neither rich nor stuck up, but my mother taught me manners at a young age. I wish other people's mothers had done the same.

We are going on the Pride (for the second time) on 2/26. If the CCL product is much more diminished, we'll be spending our vacation dollars at an AI in the future.

When you use the term " the lowest common denominator" I take that as an insult.

I've cruised on the upscale cruise line with the upscale (read snobby) people.

I cruise Carnival because I like the product and enjoy cruising with the people who cruise Carnival (people haveing fun).

I guess that makes me the " the lowest common denominator" you speak of.

And I like the product now better then I did a few yeas ago.

It's really very simple, If you don't like the Carnival product then don't cruise Carnival.

From a proud member of the lowest common denominator club.

PS: I shop at Wal-Mart too.

I have read this thread and found it extremely interesting. I took three cruises in 2011 for numbers 7,8, and 9. I found the service at the same high level i have always recieved. Some little differences. One steward who diddnt call me by my first name but filled my ice bucket and brought an extra "beer" bucket full of ice for the entire cruise. The waitress who brought out cheese plates for our group and extra appetizers for sharing and sampling. The piano bar entertainer who acknowledged you when you entered, to the bar staff who was awsome at anticipating your needs. But they all had one thing in common, they always smiled and went out of their way to make my trips memorable. ...So that leaves me wondering, are the reports of unfriendly crew reflecting the attitudes shown to them?

There was a time when Jeans were frowned upon in the dining room. I remember seeing people in nice t-shirts and jeans. Others going to and from the dining room in suits, dresses and so on...But I also remember that once I sat down, I began MY dining experience. I didnt pay any attention to what others were wearing or eating for that matter. So a vegitarian goes to the dining room and sees a beef eater at another table, Should that beef eater be relegated to the lido deck? As for the PJ's...lol....sleep pants or what ever you want to call them. Why is it that we place more value on the type of material or design on the material than the function of the material? What makes them different? The fact that you sleep in one and iron the other? A poster asked if I would go to a restaraunt at home in sleep pants. My answer is no, however your not at home, your not even in a resort town. Your on a ship. Alot of cruises which are going to beach locations. Its a relaxed atmosphere. There are items on the MDR menu you cant get on the lido deck, and everyone passenger deserves the right to enjoy the dining selections they offer. If you are so offended by someone wearing jeans or flip flops, then maybe others are right, you should go somewhere a little more exclusive than a ship with 2 to 4 thousands patrons. Whats exceptable to one family or culture can and is often different than other families and cultures. How about live and let live? As long as they are not putting themselves or others at risk. When will or will we ever get past the attitude that if you are not like me or dont act the same as me then your not as good as me?

I would have never thought of wearing sleep pants to the main dining room, but now that I know it upsets so many, I just may pack a couple extra pair for my platinum cruise.....Happy sailing on what ever cruise line you choose or land vacation you decide fits you best.

I have read this thread and found it extremely interesting. I took three cruises in 2011 for numbers 7,8, and 9. I found the service at the same high level i have always recieved. Some little differences. One steward who diddnt call me by my first name but filled my ice bucket and brought an extra "beer" bucket full of ice for the entire cruise. The waitress who brought out cheese plates for our group and extra appetizers for sharing and sampling. The piano bar entertainer who acknowledged you when you entered, to the bar staff who was awsome at anticipating your needs. But they all had one thing in common, they always smiled and went out of their way to make my trips memorable. ...So that leaves me wondering, are the reports of unfriendly crew reflecting the attitudes shown to them?

There was a time when Jeans were frowned upon in the dining room. I remember seeing people in nice t-shirts and jeans. Others going to and from the dining room in suits, dresses and so on...But I also remember that once I sat down, I began MY dining experience. I didnt pay any attention to what others were wearing or eating for that matter. So a vegitarian goes to the dining room and sees a beef eater at another table, Should that beef eater be relegated to the lido deck? As for the PJ's...lol....sleep pants or what ever you want to call them. Why is it that we place more value on the type of material or design on the material than the function of the material? What makes them different? The fact that you sleep in one and iron the other? A poster asked if I would go to a restaraunt at home in sleep pants. My answer is no, however your not at home, your not even in a resort town. Your on a ship. Alot of cruises which are going to beach locations. Its a relaxed atmosphere. There are items on the MDR menu you cant get on the lido deck, and everyone passenger deserves the right to enjoy the dining selections they offer. If you are so offended by someone wearing jeans or flip flops, then maybe others are right, you should go somewhere a little more exclusive than a ship with 2 to 4 thousands patrons. Whats exceptable to one family or culture can and is often different than other families and cultures. How about live and let live? As long as they are not putting themselves or others at risk. When will or will we ever get past the attitude that if you are not like me or dont act the same as me then your not as good as me?

I would have never thought of wearing sleep pants to the main dining room, but now that I know it upsets so many, I just may pack a couple extra pair for my platinum cruise.....Happy sailing on what ever cruise line you choose or land vacation you decide fits you best.

What a wonderful post.

I hope I have the pleasure of cruising with you one day.

Thank you.

I've stated on here before that I don't care what people wear, as long as it fits and is clean. No 'large' person wearing pants that are so small that the wedgie will never see the light of day. No shirt so small that the belly flap is exposed for all to see. No 'small' person with clothes so large I'm seeing their underwear. I also don't want to see the 'bimbo' .... only half dressed, and I don't want to see anyone walking around with the same clothes that they clean the house, garage in. I'd like to amend this statement and add pj's. No pj's in public if your over, .. say 5, and definitely none in the eating areas.

Defining topic sentence followed by descriptive ones that you consider not in the category of 'fit and clean'. and closing with the one that is the exception despite being fit and clean. Sister Mary is smiling down on you. :)

Go Ravens!!!

They said they NOTICED it.

The only people posting about caring, are those who jump up and down flaming that they don't care.

I actually do not care either what others wear .. it's amusing and I notice it. Don't jump to assumptions that because someone noticed .. they care. some might, some might not. I'm observant. I don't like to dress up myself, so not among those who are the perfect dressing crowd. It's amusing to see the people ignore the rules..

The OP listed it as one of the reasons they would not cruise CCL again. That indicates they cared about it, not just noticed it.

I fail to understand your point. So because he is on disability he shouldn't be allowed to vacation? Its really none of anyone's business how he spends his money. Its his money not yours and he is free to spend it as he sees fit. I would be embarrassed for you that you think someone else's personal finances are any of your concern.

And he didn't say thank you? Really. Then you expect anyone getting money from the government to say thank you to each person they come in contact with that works since we pay the government who in turn pays all the people that receive disability, ssi, unemployment and welfare. Seriously give me a break.

You failed to get My point. He is on disability because of being shot up by gangbangers, not because of a handicap.

I"m sorry that sarcasm doesn't translate well with this font.

I was trying to relate entitlement mentality.

I stopped cruising with Carnival Cruise Lines years ago after I took my (then 15 yr old) daughter and her friend on the Legend. It had nothing to do with food, entertainment, hospitality, cleanliness etc. I stopped because of the loud, obnoxious and sometimes physical behavior I witnessed from some ADULT shipmates.

My feeling is that there’s a huge gap in societal culture values and social norms. It seems as though self-respect, manners, and civic responsibility are either no longer valued or may not be taught in some homes of the current and future generations.

You’re seeing this gap on CCL but its spreading and soon you will be seeing “It’s my life and I will do what I want" attitude coming to your very own neighborhood.

What we need is for the pendulum to move back to the center again

I stopped cruising with Carnival Cruise Lines years ago after I took my (then 15 yr old) daughter and her friend on the Legend. It had nothing to do with food, entertainment, hospitality, cleanliness etc. I stopped because of the loud, obnoxious and sometimes physical behavior I witnessed from some ADULT shipmates.

My feeling is that there’s a huge gap in societal culture values and social norms. It seems as though self-respect, manners, and civic responsibility are either no longer valued or may not be taught in some homes of the current and future generations.

You’re seeing this gap on CCL but its spreading and soon you will be seeing “It’s my life and I will do what I want" attitude coming to your very own neighborhood.

What we need is for the pendulum to move back to the center again

That is why I Love cruising Carnival!

Having just returned home from an 8 night cruise on board the Carnival Glory, I am left with a huge sense of disgust in Carnival Cruise Lines. Now having been on more than 15 cruises, 3 of which have been Carnival, and working in the travel industry myself this form of travel is not new to me. That said, I have to admit that this will be my last time on a Carnival Ship.

I fully understand that Carnival stands alone as a cruise line. And that although the parent company owns title to luxury cruise lines. It has never toughted Carnival as being one of these. However, just because you want to make cruising affordable for everyone, doesn't mean you have to abandon some of the staples that have made cruising the enjoyable experience for most who partake.

My most recent cruise was Dec 18-26 on the Glory for Christmas. The ship was at capacity, and it very much showed. The following are a few of the experiences that we encountered that have led me to remove Carnival from my future cruise list. If you also believe that my observations would give you pause then you may want to consider booking elsewhere.

1. The inability of the Dining room management staff to enforce even the basics of dress code in the dining rooms. When questioned as to why beach flip flops and swim trunks are permitted in the dining rooms. We were told it depends on the flip flops? (the daily agenda clearly states they are not acceptable or are swim shorts)

2. Allowing a grown man in his 30's to wear Sponge Bob Square Pants Pajamas in the Dining room on formal night? Oh and i forgot his camoflauge antlers.

3. Putting the 24hr Pizza and burger stations in the adult only pool area along with the 24hr ice cream machine does nothing but add excessive traffic and noise in what one would hope was a more tranquil area since it is a 16 or older area.

4. The Serenity 21 or over area is great if you have people a. ensuring that no children are in the area b. you have bar staff serving the area? Not much point in relaxing in an area that you have to travel 3 decks down to get a drink from.

5. Being that we traveled with 2 teens we purchased the soda bubbles cards! This was the first time however that the waiter staff actually would roll their eyes at us when we asked for a soda. It appears as if they were only interested in serving people where additional tip money was to be had! Seeing as how we had already prepaid our gratuity on the soda packages.

6. At one point in San Juan we were aboard the ship and in Serenity! The bar in that area was closed and no wait staff visited for an hour or so! So we went down 3 decks to see a manager to inquire if perhaps a waiter could pop up to the 30-40 people up there and take drink orders maybe every 30 minutes! When we asked for a manager we were ignored! After asking 7 times for a manager, I raised my voice and asked again! At that point a bartender picked up the phone and dialed. I was advised again no manager was available. I then called guest services and was told sorry no manager available. I find it interesting as I am well aware that an on duty manager must be on board at all times covering the ship but that no one was interested in allowing a guest to speak with them.

7. Our stateroom attendant was amazing and very friendly! as were all the casino Staff! Especially Sandra and Michael in the Casino as pit bosses and Lily the Casino Host. They were the only real examples of friendly consistent professionals we met.:)

8. The cruise director was Josh......All I will say is that when children are walking the ship mocking the cruise director for his poor ability to make announcements....that should be an indication......Josh, here is a hint! The phrase "a quick heads up" should not be repeated 3-7 times per announcement every time you make an announcement!

9. Finally the amount of people who would just throw their used dirty glasses, cups, dishes, food on the floor in hallways, elevators, staircases SHOCKED me!!!! At what point did self respect and common decency sink to lower than sea level?

:mad:

Although we made this decision to cruise Carnival based on price point! In hindsight we should have paid the difference and went with either RCCL or Celebrity who we normally cruise on.

Although Carnival wants to be a fun ship there is no need to lower the basics of standards. Sometimes you have to maintain standards and help people rise to the challenge.

I had most all of these issues when I over paid for a RCCL cruise a few years ago!

And BTW,Tapi, Carnival is not "ridiculously" low priced...we paid more for our Miracle cruise in Feb on Carnival for a standard balcony than on RCI a few weeks ago....

.....the MDR was shameful on RCI, worse dressed than any Carnival cruise we've been on....jeans, tee shirts, short shorts, tank tops EVERYWHERE. Open your eyes everyone...

...and BTW, the food is far superior on Carnival than RCI too...

I wonder why some people feel the need to turn every thread into a "Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean" thread. :confused:, as if saying "Royal Caribbean does it too" or "Royal Caribbean does it worse" justifies the negative things that people are witnessing on Carnival :rolleyes:

About the pricing, the Carnival cruise you took that cost more than your RCI cruise was an exception, not the rule. Carnival in general, charges considerably less than other cruise lines, and it's justified. They are a budget cruise line offering a budget experience at budget prices.

I've sailed many times on Carnival, drawn by its low prices, but lets be realistic! If Carnival charged the same as other major cruise lines that offer just a bit more, I would not hesitate to book the cruise on that other cruise line.

Archived