Carnival = Its time to Raise the Bar

mrrugby

Cruised CCL in August - been cruising 20 yrs - different lines, and platinum on CCL. The cutbacks over the years has turned CCL into a bare bones cruiseline.

CCL is still a value. Cheap fare with less quality. There is a market for this. There are many brands of cars, as consumers want a choice. CCL has turned itself to a Yugo.

Carnival being a Yugo helps me afford a BMW!:D:D:D

I am not quite sure why some people feel that because Carnival charges less than some other cruiselines that they MUST put up with less service, bad manners and poorer quality meals or just not cruise at all.

I believe that the only way any product can be improved is if people justifiably complain in writing or in person..Venting here is great but please pass on your issues to Carnival. Just maybe things will improve.

I am not quite sure why some people feel that because Carnival charges less than some other cruise lines that they MUST put up with less service, bad manners and poorer quality meals or just not cruise at all.

I believe that the only way any product can be improved is if people justifiably complain in writing or in person..Venting here is great but please pass on your issues to Carnival. Just maybe things will improve.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that CCL will continue the way they are as long as they continue to sail full.

They aren't hurting for customers so if it's not broke it doesn't need fixed.

Are people dissatisfied, maybe, but since they are still sailing full I don't think they really care IMO, it's economics, they are making good money, unless the bottom line is sinking DUE TO peoples dissatisfaction, they aren't going to change it.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that CCL will continue the way they are as long as they continue to sail full.

Are people dissatisfied, maybe, but since they are still sailing full I don't think they really care IMO, it's economics, they are making good money, unless the bottom line is sinking DUE TO peoples dissatisfaction, they aren't going to change it.

i think there's a fine line for sailing full at regular rates, and sailing full at discounted rates. i'm sure the paradise sailed full, but it still also "closed down".

Just like the American airlines, the cruise industry seems to be downgrading to the bottom. Practically no American airline makes a profit. Each of these airlines has such predatory practices that it's a rush to see which one can reach the bottom the quickest. Just about all of them have been in bankruptcy at least once. A few of them two or three times. Without the absurdly lenient bankruptcy laws, in this country, most of the airlines in this country would have been out of business years ago. Southwest and Jet Blue would be all that was left flying. I am quite sure that, just like the airline industry, most cruise lines probably do not make a profit. Even cutting everything to the bone they still don't make a profit. Unfortunately, when you cater to the lowest denominator of passenger that's what you get. No profit and a poor product.

What seems to be happening is the "Walmarting" of the entire country. Charge nothing for your product and hope that the customers will expect nothing. Walmart can do it because they buy all of their products from a slave labor camp called China. The airlines and cruise lines can't do that. Also, Walmart does not have billions of dollars invested in aircraft and cruise ships that cost billions more to maintain and to run.

Funny thing. Back in the days, both the airline industry and the cruise line industry were doing just fine. The made a good profit and had a product that was second to none. Then they started to go egalitarian and cater to the Bolshevik masses. We now witness the result of that decision.

It's where our country is headed, folks. We now parallel the old Soviet Union. They tried the same thing as we currently have been trying over the last few years. How's that working out for the old Soviet Union? Not so well huh. Expect the same thing to happen here.

Yes, my wife and I are planning a trip on one of these cruises shortly. We've never been on a cruise and thought we'd give it a try. However, after reading all of the joyous stories about the cruise industries downgrading to the bottom, I wonder if a train trip in Europe may not be a better plan.

2. Allowing a grown man in his 30's to wear Sponge Bob Square Pants Pajamas in the Dining room on formal night? Oh and i forgot his camoflauge antlers.

Obviously this guy is trying to get attention. However it is also clear the Maitre d has given up. I really don't see an issue in explaining to any person that PJ's and camouflage antlers are inappropriate for any dinning room. Not just formal night. yes, he is on vacation, but he does not need to disrespect everyone else's vacation.

i think there's a fine line for sailing full at regular rates, and sailing full at discounted rates. i'm sure the paradise sailed full, but it still also "closed down".

But did the paradise have the options most of the newer ships have for balconies, extended balconies and suites? I think they still make a good deal of money on the ships even at discounted rates.

Besides do you mean the Paradise nonsmokers??? We all know that the smokers do all the drinking and gambling :p;)

I think an overwhelming number of people are not dissatisfied with Carnival.

I'm not sure what 50 disgruntled Cruise Critic people really means.

Seems to me that Cruise Critic people are always disgruntled about something.

i think an overwhelming number of people are not dissatisfied with carnival.

I'm not sure what 50 disgruntled cruise critic people really means.

Seems to me that cruise critic people are always disgruntled about something.

i totally agree with you!

Carnival has great pricing for a great vacation. If we had to pay higher competitive rates, yes we'd expect more.....but they've maintained a higher-than-expected level of value in our opinion over the past several years.

Some ships please us more......so we'll likely avoid future use of "less wonderful" vessels (like Dream-class IMHO).....and choose others. The nice part of Carnival is that they have MANY to choose from.

Will the lower pricing level bring SOME passengers with an obvious lack of class ? YES......no doubt about it.

However, the majority of people we've encountered are very fine. About 90% perfectly acceptable to us. 10% trash. That's not bad !!!!

Still lovin' Carnival and it's affordability.

We are Platinum Cruisers and have sailed Carnival for many years. We always considered Carnival to be an "excellent value for the money". But over the past several years, we have been totally turned off by the decline in standards. Just because a cruise is inexpensive, does not mean that it has to be cheap.

The main dining room in many, if not all, of the Carnival ships, has become the Denny's of the Cruise Industry. It does appear that many people who cruise on Carnival are no longer interested in the quality of the food and how it is served, but rather that it is plentiful and they can have second, thirds etc. (quantity compared to quality). We do not cruise for "Comfort Foods" such as macaroni and cheese, or "all the ribs one can eat".

Just because Carnival has always given an economical package doesn't mean that there should not be standards. If one does not wish to dress up on "Formal Night" then eat in the Lido area for dinner for that one night. But Carnival has solved this issue by making Formal Night into Elegant Night with no standards.

We have seen more and more disrespectful guests and rowdy behavior on Carnival. On our last cruise we were afraid to go into the Disco because of "gangs" of young people (who were underage and could not enter the Disco) but were hanging out at the entrance. The Security Guards did nothing to stop this.

For a little extra in cost, one can have a superior cruise on lines such as Princess or Celebrity. I am sure that Carnival will continue to do well for awhile, because many individuals want quantity over quality. But for us, we wish to remember Carnival for what it was, and not for what it has become.

That is why I said "just maybe" I guess.

While I wont allow the tons of kids in the hot tubs and the running in the halls and the boorish behaviour of other cruisers that I have read about here on these boards ruin my cruise with our grandson I fully intend to be vocal in complaints of poor service and do not intend to put up with any staff "rolling their eyes" at a simple request for expected service. Will it do any good? Maybe not but then I guess I wont sail Carnival again. My best and only way to deal with the problem personally. Carnival may not care but I work hard for my travel dollars and I can spend them any way I wish.

great post. too bad ccl says they no longer read here, cause they don't want this kind of feedback. they seem to not want it on comment cards either.

So true.. and truly amazing - as some on this thread are aware, I posted a thread on the NCL board regarding their lost and found department helping us recover some items and THE CEO OF THE COMPANY replied on that thread - post #9 LINK !!

Like button (that we don't have, hint,hint CC!!!

Most boards that use this same software enable the Private Message option -- I think that CC knows some of it's own too well to turn that little jewel on!

I've had patients come to appts. in pj's. "I didn't feel like changing."

People seem to wear everything in the MDR these days. Only people dressed up are the wait staff!

And then the nicely dressed waiters proceed to dance on table tops! ;)

Tom

Obviously this guy is trying to get attention. However it is also clear the Maitre d has given up. I really don't see an issue in explaining to any person that PJ's and camouflage antlers are inappropriate for any dinning room. Not just formal night. yes, he is on vacation, but he does not need to disrespect everyone else's vacation.

I agree. I just can't understand why a grown man would want that kind of attention. I occasionally see people in crazy "costumes" and wonder why they are so desperate to stand out. Maybe it is an attempt at humor, but I can't find anything that lacking in intelligence funny or clever. The Maitre d' wasn't doing his/her job.

Did I read somewhere that the Maitre 'd no longer pushes for tips (envelopes)? Perhaps it was not on Carnival.

IF they still receive tips, perhaps after opening their precious envelopes at the end of the night if they started getting enough letters regarding their lack of enforcement (in obvious violation of "suggested attire") instead of $, they might start to get the message!

Tom

Did I read somewhere that the Maitre 'd no longer pushes for tips (envelopes)? Perhaps it was not on Carnival.

IF they still receive tips, perhaps after opening their precious envelopes at the end of the night if they started getting enough letters regarding their lack of enforcement (in obvious violation of "suggested attire") instead of $, they might start to get the message!

Tom

Last time I was on a Carnival ship (a few months ago) there was an expectation of tipping the Maitre d'. You might be on to something...

I agree totally. I love how some folks act like CCL is going to suddenly go out of business and never be able to recover. Obviously not. It's in better shape than most lines right now, if you are dissatisfied with the experience, take your $ elsewhere. CCL is having no problems filling the ships at the price they are charging as of now, if that ever becomes a problem THEN they'll change.

I've cruised CCL, enjoyed it. I have cruised Celebrity, enjoyed it too. Do I expect a Celebrity experience when I'm on CCL? Of course not.

I think an overwhelming number of people are not dissatisfied with Carnival.

I'm not sure what 50 disgruntled Cruise Critic people really means.

Seems to me that Cruise Critic people are always disgruntled about something.

I don't think that's true, but I do think the disgruntled ones do let everyone know about it.

I've not been disgruntled, even when I've not thought it was a perfect cruise, I still manage to enjoy it as do most of the people I know.

That is why I said "just maybe" I guess.

While I wont allow the tons of kids in the hot tubs and the running in the halls and the boorish behaviour of other cruisers that I have read about here on these boards ruin my cruise with our grandson I fully intend to be vocal in complaints of poor service and do not intend to put up with any staff "rolling their eyes" at a simple request for expected service. Will it do any good? Maybe not but then I guess I wont sail Carnival again. My best and only way to deal with the problem personally. Carnival may not care but I work hard for my travel dollars and I can spend them any way I wish.

But Katie, please don't go by these boards for your expectations. I have NEVER had a Carnival employee roll their eyes at any request.

I have always found them to be friendly and respectful.

I've had one server that was horrible, but all the others have been awesome and many just plain outstanding. We solved the bad server situation by going YTD, and stick with the good ones when we find them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality you actually do get.

And the food in the MDR is really not bad. IMO

Carole

Every CCL ship I've been on there has been the expectation to tip the MD, I still never do though:)

With the new tipping amount and split, we no longer are asked to tip the Maitre'd. We tipped them only if they did something for us.

Archived