Carnival = Its time to Raise the Bar

mrrugby

We are Platinum Cruisers and have sailed Carnival for many years. We always considered Carnival to be an "excellent value for the money". But over the past several years, we have been totally turned off by the decline in standards. Just because a cruise is inexpensive, does not mean that it has to be cheap.

The main dining room in many, if not all, of the Carnival ships, has become the Denny's of the Cruise Industry. It does appear that many people who cruise on Carnival are no longer interested in the quality of the food and how it is served, but rather that it is plentiful and they can have second, thirds etc. (quantity compared to quality). We do not cruise for "Comfort Foods" such as macaroni and cheese, or "all the ribs one can eat".

Just because Carnival has always given an economical package doesn't mean that there should not be standards. If one does not wish to dress up on "Formal Night" then eat in the Lido area for dinner for that one night. But Carnival has solved this issue by making Formal Night into Elegant Night with no standards.

We have seen more and more disrespectful guests and rowdy behavior on Carnival. On our last cruise we were afraid to go into the Disco because of "gangs" of young people (who were underage and could not enter the Disco) but were hanging out at the entrance. The Security Guards did nothing to stop this.

For a little extra in cost, one can have a superior cruise on lines such as Princess or Celebrity. I am sure that Carnival will continue to do well for awhile, because many individuals want quantity over quality. But for us, we wish to remember Carnival for what it was, and not for what it has become.

I for one live in a very wealthy lets say for better lack of the word "snobby" Part of Florida although all our friends are normal down to earth people...Princess would fit that bill and since I live with them I dont care to Cruise with them...2nd I am too young to Cruise Celebrity, So we will stick with our cheap Carnival because we do enjoy a nice family cruise...We never encountered any of this During our Liberty Cruise for Thanksgiving...Im sure another cruise line would love to have someone like you....

Mat - Sorry, I have to ask (no "ill" intent) - is your avatar supposed to be a "funny" one? Not sure if I am "reading" things right.

Tom

It is not really supposed to be funny, I just like to change the photo every 3-4 months and that was a photo I found on my computer that fit within max pixel & kb size...

Guess I need to swap it out now...

It is not really supposed to be funny, I just like to change the photo every 3-4 months and that was a photo I found on my computer that fit within max pixel & kb size...

Guess I need to swap it out now...

Though the (apparent) two piece is flattering... :D

(thanks)

btw - you can google and come up with some free programs for making avatars (resizing).

Tom

But Katie, please don't go by these boards for your expectations. I have NEVER had a Carnival employee roll their eyes at any request.

I have always found them to be friendly and respectful.

I've had one server that was horrible, but all the others have been awesome and many just plain outstanding. We solved the bad server situation by going YTD, and stick with the good ones when we find them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality you actually do get.

And the food in the MDR is really not bad. IMO

Carole

Thanks for that Carole.:)

Quite honestly I intend to enjoy every minute of my cruise. In fact I am sure I will.

I know most reviews are usually negative.

I am just finding it hard to understand why some people just "settle" and dont seem to have ANY expectations simply because they have paid a low price. That always bugs me. I read that so many times here or when someone does complain they are immediately told to "pay more and go with another higher priced line" I am of the opinion that good/polite service doesnt cost more.

My last cruise was on the Magic in Oct and I've got to say that the food, service, staff, etc were great. I certainly didn't notice any cutbacks. Maybe for their European venues, it's different...who knows:confused: Everyone knows that all of these comments are subjective. As for the ppl, it was an older group, so I didn't notice any jammies or WB's in the MDR. I'm so over the lack of ppl dressing appropriately (IMO certainly) when out in public. It's gone by the wayside along with conversing vs texting.

The European cruises are totally different. The passagers are more traveled for the most part. We were on the Dream transaltantic it was a great cruise. We will be going in February with our children and grandchildren on the Legend. We decided on Carnival because we thought they would have more to offer the kids. I hope we don't regret it. This will be our 11th cruise with Carnival out of 28 over all. I have really seen a decline in the Carnival product over the years. Carnival used to be our favorite but not any longer for all the reasons the poster stated. It is sad that people don't respect others anymore, but they don't. Everyone thinks they are entitled to do as the please all the time. No one thinks they should follow any rules. This is not only on Carnival but it is the way our society has become. We will still try and go on this cruise with an open mind and hope for the best.

The bottom line is that all the cruise lines have cut back. I was recently on the Celebrity Silhouette and it was decent, but huge cutbacks in the food compared to the last time i was on them a few years ago. They still have formal nights and it was a disgrace to have to dress up for the food they served those nights!

As a previous poster mentioned, i now go by price and stops since I don't think any mainstream cruise is that great anymore. I was on the Miracle last year and got a great deal and we had a wonderful time. It just isn't worth getting upset over many things we took for granted years ago on cruises and just have a good time.

Thanks for that Carole.:)

Quite honestly I intend to enjoy every minute of my cruise. In fact I am sure I will.

I know most reviews are usually negative.

I am just finding it hard to understand why some people just "settle" and dont seem to have ANY expectations simply because they have paid a low price. That always bugs me. I read that so many times here or when someone does complain they are immediately told to "pay more and go with another higher priced line" I am of the opinion that good/polite service doesnt cost more.

katie, I've been on the Glory twice and had a good experience both times. I think the mostly bad reviews are on older ships and also shorter cruises. Many partying souls on the shorter jaunts, not to say they can't be fun, but I think most of the weirder stuff you hear might just be from the shorter or spring break ones. You'll love Glory, she's a great ship!!!

Walmarts... :)

They are not all the same.

I have been in some (in nicer areas) that are clean - as are the people who are shopping there.

I have been in others - which are likely the ones that give them all a "bad name".

Just Google (Images) "WalMart BINGO" and you will immediately know if the one in your neighborhood falls into the the "nice" WalMart category or not... ;)

Tom

Pleople need to just use common sense :rolleyes:

Would you wear your robe or PJ's to a restaurant at home? NO

Would you leave your dirty dishes on the floor at home? NO

Would you go to a upscale restaurant at home in cut-offs, tank tops, etc? NO

Would you walk into a restaurant in a bathing suit (wet or not)? NO

good points!!! :)

I agree totally. I love how some folks act like CCL is going to suddenly go out of business and never be able to recover. .

I don't see anyone acting like that :confused:

CCL does fill their ships very well. It's not the same passengers that are sailing however...there seems to be more new Carnival cruisers than ever before.

CCL is fine with that.

It's their business, they run it as they see fit.

There are just a good many of us that don't enjoy the product as much as we used to. None of us is implying the line is going under, but we are saying the line has changed.

As for not expecting CCL to be like Celebrity, I agree with you...however, when I sailed Celebrity back in 2006, I came away thinking how much better I liked CCL (hence, I have not sailed Celebrity since)

NOW however, I feel differently and would likely give Celebrity another go.

The European cruises are totally different. The passagers are more traveled for the most part. We were on the Dream transaltantic it was a great cruise. We will be going in February with our children and grandchildren on the Legend. We decided on Carnival because we thought they would have more to offer the kids. I hope we don't regret it. This will be our 11th cruise with Carnival out of 28 over all. I have really seen a decline in the Carnival product over the years. Carnival used to be our favorite but not any longer for all the reasons the poster stated. It is sad that people don't respect others anymore, but they don't. Everyone thinks they are entitled to do as the please all the time. No one thinks they should follow any rules. This is not only on Carnival but it is the way our society has become. We will still try and go on this cruise with an open mind and hope for the best.

We were recently on the Legend and I don't think you will be disappointed. We had excellent service everywhere, the staff was very friendly, the other passengers were polite and friendly, etc. The ONLY complaint we have is with the weather on that particular cruise, which is in no way Carnival's fault.

I don't think that's true, but I do think the disgruntled ones do let everyone know about it.

I've not been disgruntled, even when I've not thought it was a perfect cruise, I still manage to enjoy it as do most of the people I know.

Most everyone posting in this thread seemed to be pretty disgruntled.

I guess I don't understand why you would cruise on a line that does not meet your standards on dress or anything else.

It might surprise many of you to know people choose Carnival because it is more casual then say Celebrity which has a whole bunch of dress codes.

I can't image cruising with a bunch of rich stuck-up types that are too good to shop at Wal-Mart.

Look, you are not going to get Crystal cruise for a Carnival price.

Seems like lot of folks complain and moan about Carnival but still continue to cruise with them.

I guess I don't understand why you would cruise on a line that does not meet your standards on dress or anything else.

It might surprise many of you to know people choose Carnival because it is more casual then say Celebrity which has a whole bunch of dress codes.

I can't image cruising with a bunch of rich stuck-up types that are too good to shop at Wal-Mart.

Seems like lot of folks complain and moan about Carnival but still continue to cruise with them.

The reason people are complaining is because, not so long ago, CCL used to be a much better product. It seems like CCL is pandering to the lowest common denominator.

My first cruise was in 2007. I fell in love with cruising on the Miracle. I have since been on 4 more cruises. Three of those were on the Miracle again. It's not difficult to notice the lack of rule enforcement and cutbacks when you are sailing the same ship over and over. Frankly, it's depressing.

I'm a very casual person on vacation. It's why we eat at the Lido for dinner. On the rare occasion we go to the MDR, we dress like civilized people. I expect my cruise mates to dress like civilized people too. I am neither rich nor stuck up, but my mother taught me manners at a young age. I wish other people's mothers had done the same.

We are going on the Pride (for the second time) on 2/26. If the CCL product is much more diminished, we'll be spending our vacation dollars at an AI in the future.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that CCL will continue the way they are as long as they continue to sail full.

Does Carnival sail full? Yes.

Do they command $420 a person for a week when all other lines are getting $700 for the same week? Yes.

Cruising full may not make money.

I booked 3 inside rooms with Disney and got 3 porthole rooms. They just didn't want to sell those windowed rooms for less. Different business model. Carnival would have sold the rooms with windows for an extra $20 per person.

That said, now that the economy is better than it was a few years ago and Disneys prices are significantly higher, the slight decrease in experience with Carnival doesn't make up for the money difference.

How many CCL cruises have you been on? I have been on 23, my first one in 1991, I am not rich... and rich people are not all stuck up... there are a few here on these boards that are great people...

I chose Carnival a long time ago, because of what it was. Fun, good food, good service, friendly staff, great crews... I dont want a Crystal cruise... but i can tell you this... if you had cruised on some of the cruises I went on, you too would see the decline... I dont want to jump ships... I love Carnival.... I just wish they would come back to the standards that they used to have... the standards that kept so many of us returning over and over..

Gran: I am so sorry you feel eating in your jammies in public is gross. I am glad you will not be on the same cruise as my family (Jan 8th) as I have 2 daughters that live in their jammies and yes I will go to breakfast on sea days in my jammies ,I am on holidays and paid to relax and unwind from the daily grind of life. :rolleyes:

I will get on the Glory and know that everything will not be 100% perfect , but I am on vacation and will try to look the other way about the little hitches or flaws I see. I will keep my blood pressure down and enjoy the time I am spending with family and good friends.

You are correct, I agree with you. When I go on vacation, I like to stay in my underwear all day. Sometimes with a shirt, sometimes without (Iam a guy, and fat) I feel it is my time to relax and I will do what I want.

So When we go on our next cruise, in 30 days, if I want to walk around in my sleep wear (underwear) I should be aloud, correct? After all, it is my vacation, I paid my fees and want to relax.

And wearing your robe to the buffet I dont get either. Its not only on Carnival either .. don't blame Carnival for this. I was on Oasis less than a month ago, and they wore their robes to eat in at the solarium where I was eating. I think all the showing of underwear and robes is odd .. I dont get upset, but think it looks odd.

I did see someone get stopped with a dripping bikini from walking into a eating area, so they sometimes stop people. She argued she wasnt there to eat, just to talk to someone, but she was stopped from entering.

Dont blame Carnival .. its on other lines too.

Thank you, Fire! Yes, it is on other lines as well. Don't understand the continual snobbiness about every other line and the berating of Carnival. And BTW,Tapi, Carnival is not "ridiculously" low priced...we paid more for our Miracle cruise in Feb on Carnival for a standard balcony than on RCI a few weeks ago. The EXACT same class and types of people were on RCI as on Carnival....not one iota or drop of difference in class, looks or behavior. They dressed the same, the MDR was shameful on RCI, worse dressed than any Carnival cruise we've been on....jeans, tee shirts, short shorts, tank tops EVERYWHERE. Open your eyes everyone, it's certainly NOT just on Carnival (and BTW, the food is far superior on Carnival than RCI too). It may not be the fault of the cruise lines, but a moral decay in society that the cruise lines can't control...look around on your "higher" priced cruises...they are the SAME people!!

I appreciate the feedback and will take the initiative to forward to CCL.

The events didn't ruin my cruise as I was with my family, and having cruised other lines I knew what to expect.

I think what bothered me most was that this was for some families a "huge" family event. And for numerous people from what I witnessed they really went all out to make this a special event and capture it with memories and photos. Those families didn't deserve to have others who simply can't follow simple dress codes bring down the significance of the evening. No matter how one tries you can't pretent someone in pajamas isn't sitting beside you at a formal night. I also wanted to say that there are options for eating on ships with varying range of acceptable clothing. That said, the responsibility lies with the cruise line to enforce its own policies.

On Celebrity if you dont have a dinner jacket on formal night, they offer you one to walk to your table with to create an ambiance and night of elegance. Its not about buying lots of clothes or spending money. Its about having regard for others and pride in yourself in my humble opinion.

Regards

Trev

So what did the guy in the Jammies say when you told him that they were not proper attire for formal night??:rolleyes:

I agree standards have slipped but, also get a kick out of listening to people complain about how someone dressed, but do not seem to have the bolos to go confront that person and lay it on the table...:cool:

We're sailing on the Glory Feb. 5, and I read this thread in its entirety...very interesting.

I'm sure the complaints are valid, but I hope we will be able to endure any inconveniences with a little flexibility, a little humor, a raised eyebrow, and a camera ;)

I intend to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of our cruise; that's my job for the week.

We sailed on the same cruise as the OP and had a great time. From your post, it sounds like you will have a great time too. No worries. :)

We experienced the same problems with the bar staff by the pool when we would order a soda with our unlimited soda card...half the time no one came back. On one occassion three different bar staff came by, we put in our order and they never returned. I made sure to put something on the comment card when we received the email.

I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2003 and am not cruising again until March. I'm sure things will have changed and I will certainly try not to let certain things get to me.

As for the way people dress in the dining room ... this is one of those 'hot' buttons. We can debate the flip-flop issue for days. Personally, I don't think wearing jeans to the MDR is appropriate, saw it on Princess in 2007. You know what? Once the guy sat down at his table with his family, it didn't affect me at all ... interesting.

The judging that goes on here is unbelievable. "My dinner was ruined because Joe Smith came in wearing something I don't think is appropriate" just blows my mind.

You all moan and groan about the idiot wearing pajama pants - agree, inappropriate, but what about the 'bimbo' with the too small red dress with her boobs and butt hanging out ... really? THAT's appropriate?

You know what? You sit at your table, eat your meal, and mind your own freaking business. Who made you judge and jury? If the way others dress offends you, talk to the Maitre'D (sp?) and express your dissatisfaction.

Is there an attitude of entitlement - you bet! We see it everywhere. But, again, we are not here to judge everyone else. I'm pretty sure that we all do something that ticks someone else off!

To the OP - you had a crummy cruise - you picked out the things that bother YOU. Thank you for pointing them out. They are your opinion and and based on your opinion, they are your observations. Now, the people here are going to somewhat agree, agree fully, or disagree. Great - that's because we all interpret things differently.

My only hangup is when someone says "she wore flip-flops into the MDR and I it ruined my meal". Really? Were you under the table the entire time mesmorized by someone's shoes? No, so who cares. Who really cares? If these things really do make you ill, then by all means, start booking on the luxury lines that have cruisers who are so much better than Carnival cruisers.

I'm sorry for my rant, but it just seems so petty to be judging people ALL THE TIME.

I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2003 and am not cruising again until March. I'm sure things will have changed and I will certainly try not to let certain things get to me.

As for the way people dress in the dining room ... this is one of those 'hot' buttons. We can debate the flip-flop issue for days. Personally, I don't think wearing jeans to the MDR is appropriate, saw it on Princess in 2007. You know what? Once the guy sat down at his table with his family, it didn't affect me at all ... interesting.

The judging that goes on here is unbelievable. "My dinner was ruined because Joe Smith came in wearing something I don't think is appropriate" just blows my mind.

You all moan and groan about the idiot wearing pajama pants - agree, inappropriate, but what about the 'bimbo' with the too small red dress with her boobs and butt hanging out ... really? THAT's appropriate?

You know what? You sit at your table, eat your meal, and mind your own freaking business. Who made you judge and jury? If the way others dress offends you, talk to the Maitre'D (sp?) and express your dissatisfaction.

Is there an attitude of entitlement - you bet! We see it everywhere. But, again, we are not here to judge everyone else. I'm pretty sure that we all do something that ticks someone else off!

To the OP - you had a crummy cruise - you picked out the things that bother YOU. Thank you for pointing them out. They are your opinion and and based on your opinion, they are your observations. Now, the people here are going to somewhat agree, agree fully, or disagree. Great - that's because we all interpret things differently.

My only hangup is when someone says "she wore flip-flops into the MDR and I it ruined my meal". Really? Were you under the table the entire time mesmorized by someone's shoes? No, so who cares. Who really cares? If these things really do make you ill, then by all means, start booking on the luxury lines that have cruisers who are so much better than Carnival cruisers.

I'm sorry for my rant, but it just seems so petty to be judging people ALL THE TIME.

VERY well said!:)

It just sounds like Carnival is not your type of cruise line. No harm, no foul, just maybe better to move on to another line :) True, I would not say Carnival is a high end line, or even maybe a mid line. But in all honesty you get what you pay for. I think for most people if their budget was unlimited would not choose Carnival. But you get what you pay for, I'm paying the same amount today as I paid for my first cruise 7 years ago. I couldn't go today if I had to pay an inflation rate that would allow for the same level of service I had then. So yes, I expect them to cut a few corners.

Our last cruise was a B2B in 2007, 1 was on Freedom of the Seas (brand new at the time) and one was on Triumph. We thoroughly enjoyed both, and their were highs and lows on both ships. Our CD sucked on the RCCL, we had an awesome one on CCL. The shows and costumers were better on CCL, but we did much appreciate the classier feel and atmosphere on RCCL, I saw them turn many people away from the buffet and dinner for inappropriate dress and on formal night all the ladies were in fancy dresses. Would I love the idea of everyone on my cruise here in a month getting excited about dressing up on formal night? Of course! Would it bother me when I see people in jeans and flip flops. Not at all.

But again, that's just me, and at least now you know Carnival is not for you!

Archived