Comparison between Crystal, Regent and Seabourn

mariners

I have to say I am bit confused....

I have stayed in a Crystal penthouse with a butler and I would prefer that to Seabourn anytime. Granted, the regular staterooms are smaller, and the old-style two seating dinners on Crystal were a drawback, but now tih "perfect Choice Dining" I think Crystal, with its dining room being open from 6:00 to 10:30 has the edge over Seabourn's 7:00 to 9:00 dining hours.

With regards to the dining times, I think on Seabourn they are indicative of the latest they like you to arrive as we frequently were there much later then 9:30 (this time is what was on my copies of the Seabourn Daily), especially at the hosted table. I never felt rushed out of the dining room.

I have cruises coming up on both Seabourn and Crystal this year so will be able to compare. But to be honest I know I am lucky to do them and though I know that human nature means I will compare, I plan to enjoy them both for all their differences. Well I hope that is what I do:o.

Julie

I have to say I am bit confused....

All of you saying you would NEVER accept early dining, you must have 8:30 on Crystal or you wouldn't go.

On Seabourn the dining room hours are 7:00 to 9:00. Am I supposed to believe most of you show up at 8:30 and keep the staff up an extra hour after the room closes?

On Crystal you can easily set up a 7:00 or 7:30 reservation, the dining room stays open. I have been on both cruise lines and Crystal has no problems accomodating your dining preferences.

Another big difference no one mentioned is that Seabourn does not provide butlers to anyone. Crystal Penthouses and all Silversea staterooms come with a butler. If you think this isn't a big deal you haven't experienced what a butler can do for you - especially in terms of handling problems like dining reservations. No need to contact the maitre D', just tell your butler what you want.

I have stayed in a Crystal penthouse with a butler and I would prefer that to Seabourn anytime. Granted, the regular staterooms are smaller, and the old-style two seating dinners on Crystal were a drawback, but now tih "perfect Choice Dining" I think Crystal, with its dining room being open from 6:00 to 10:30 has the edge over Seabourn's 7:00 to 9:00 dining hours.

I did not say I would never accept early dining. But, I think, the Crystal approach lacks the flexibility that Seabourn (and Regent) offer.

On any given evening on Seabourn, I do not know which restaurant I will be eating in or what time I will show up at (depends on who we meet for pre dinner drinks and/or how long we sit chatting). The only restaurant I need reserve for is Restaurant 2. The other three I can just walk into although, on a nice evening, the Sky Grill can fill up so best to be there early (the Sky Grill opens earlier than the Colonnade or MDR I think).

Because you do not need reservations for the three restaurants, there is no 'problem' for a butler to handle. What other 'problems' does a butler handle for you?

Edited by Roxburgh

I'm not sure if this is appropriate as I've not had the pleasure of cruising on Seaborn.

That being said, I've been on Crystal and Radisson (now Regent).

Service:

- The best from Crystal = the best of Radisson, the best from Crystal seems far better than Regent (part of the issue here is that Conroy is saving money by skimping on staff)

Caveat: Prior to all inclusive I always loathed the last few days on a Crystal cruise. Staff for the previous few weeks wouldn't douse you with water were you on fire suddenly became first name friends. Yeah, tip whoring, not my cup of tea.

Food: Cyrstal - Radisson -- Dennys -- McDonalds Happy Meal - Regent

The problem here is Conroy again (surprise). The amount that Regent has budget per diner per meal seems comparable to a McDonalds happy meal (and Im not talking about the more upscale Mighty Kids Happy Meal either...). There were a few dinners on my last Regent cruise where the consensus in the MDR was "food unfit for my dog". Don't get me wrong, the staff on Regent can cook, it's just when you're so limited via an obscenely low production budget there's only so much you can do. Regent is the only line where I know people who lost (unintentionally) lost weight.

Tours: Crystal/Radisson -- Disney -- Gakked out of their gourd local -- Regent.

Yes you paid for tours on Crystal and Radisson. Regent claims they're "free" (er for those with a functioning neuron+ part of your fare). Sadly the tours lived up to the adage of "you get what you pay for" Actually, nix that. I didn't get what I paid for. At the tail end of the last Regent world cruise I was supposed to dine at a Chateau in Bordeaux. What that turned out to be was a no name chateau serving us off "china" slightly better than paper plates in a barn. No butter nor oil were available for the bread. The entree was ground Royale sans fromage from the local McDs.

That being said, if I was looking for a new line and Crystal didn't do it for me Id hop on Seaborn (which I actually am thinking of doing, I just need to decide if I can sneak in 14 days for either Asia or Northern Europe). To further the earlier demographic issue: Im 38 so supposedly atypical for all of the above.

Tussey (post 49) you obviously know the Crystal policy regarding dining times. Could you PLEASE therefore enlighten others who do not know it as to whether or not you can arrive at the dining room when you wish, during dining hours, and expect to be served at whatever size table your group wishes? Or, is it as I think, that you definitely have to reserve beforehand, and if so, is this before you embark, on a daily basis, or what?

This is the main point putting us off Crystal, as the larger numbers and smaller suites would not bother us if the food and ship are as excellent as everyone says. And assuming no-one will be looking for tips once the ships are all-inclusive.

I too am interested in what Butlers do. As JaneBP said, on Seabourn you just turn up to eat so no one needs a reservation to dine- apart from the Restaurant 2 venue and this is handled at Seabourn Square where you get an instant confirmation. Who needs a butler to pass messages back and forth?

On the topic of restaurants, the Seabourn large® ships have 700+ seats for dinner at 4 restaurants for 450 passengers with anytime and "anyone" dining. That does it for me.

So I was wondering what else the butler could do that I would just as soon not do on a Seabourn ship. The only thing I could think of was filling out the laundry and dry cleaning forms for pickup.

Please advise.

Happy cruising!

Like Markham, I do wonder whether I would like to have a 'butler' or not, having read both good and very bad reports on how good they are. On Seabourn, as said you would not need one for dining reservations, and if you want drinks or food or nibbles for a group in your suite you only have to phone room service who are almost invariably excellent. I understand that butlers are not, as it appears from the brochures, your own individual helper, but, like stewardesses, look after quite a number of suites, and as you have to go through them to get room service etc. you could have a bit of a wait?

The more I read, the more I think that different lines suit different personality types, and once you find one that fits yours you do not feel the need to change.

Having cruised Regent and Silversea with Butlers and Seabourn without my conclusion is as follows:

1 Seabourn would be improved by the addition of Butlers.

2 Their presence however is not high on my list of priorities.

On Regent one Butler really added value to our trip.On that trip we were first timers and he really added value.Ensuring we had everything we needed,helping with restaurant bookings ashore and on board and personally delivering laundry,room service,flowers for my wife's birthday,newspapers etc.

On the second Regent trip the individual was not as good and we "knew the ropes".

On Silversea it was similar to the first trip.

On Odysey the stewardess was inexperianced and added little or no value to our trip.

>"entioned is that Seabourn does not provide butlers to anyone. Crystal Penthouses and all Silversea staterooms come with a butler. If you think this isn't a big deal you haven't experienced what a butler can do for you - especially in terms of handling problems like dining reservations."

I am curious as to what else a butler can do to make the cruise more pleasant. Other than troubleshooting for dinner reservations. Obviously, I have learned to cruise without one. Thanks.

JaneBP

We had a Butler on Silversea (they had just introduced Butler Service to all suites at the time in 2010) and she was really very nice and helpful with anything we needed - it was our very first cruise and as newbies we were grateful for that help. What did she do for us? She sorted out our Spa reservations, (I would have been happy to do that myself but she insisted!); room service was always delivered by her and the table beautifully laid (she was on duty - she worked 0800 - 1400 and then was back on again from about 1700/1800 till late); she supervised - very well - the room steward and in fact they were a great team (we always came back from breakfast and our stateroom had been serviced as if "by magic", unlike on Seabourn when on more than once occasion, our stateroom was not serviced until early afternoon and those blooming housekeeping trolleys/debris were always cluttering the hallways!); she looked after me like a "mum" when I was feeling the effects of rough seas bringing me ginger, dry crackers etc.,; she took away and brought back laundry and hung it up properly (!); she was a very happy person and was one of many of the crew on the Silver Whisper who made it such a happy time for us. I'm not sure how many suites she looked after.

They can also un-pack and pack for you which we declined - not sure how that would work for me as I am quite fastidious with my packing! LOL! But friends of ours used that service and weren't over-impressed as stuff just got thrown in their cases, so think I made the right call (they had another butler by the way).

I think a butler isn't really necessary but they can be very helpful and I think the most noticeable difference for me twixt Silverseas and Seabourn on this topic was the housekeeping as said previously.

The other thing that I just remembered, we found at times when phoning Seabourn Square to either not get an answer (i.e. no-one answered the phone) or not have calls returned with information to respond to our queries or we were mis-informed - this of course didn't happen with the Butler service as she took care of it all for us. But it's not a deal-breaker!;)

Tussey (post 49) you obviously know the Crystal policy regarding dining times. Could you PLEASE therefore enlighten others who do not know it as to whether or not you can arrive at the dining room when you wish, during dining hours, and expect to be served at whatever size table your group wishes? Or, is it as I think, that you definitely have to reserve beforehand, and if so, is this before you embark, on a daily basis, or what?

This is the main point putting us off Crystal, as the larger numbers and smaller suites would not bother us if the food and ship are as excellent as everyone says. And assuming no-one will be looking for tips once the ships are all-inclusive.

Hello:

If you ask this question on the Crystal board you will get very informed answers. We have never tried anytime dining on Crystal, but those who have, have told us they were very pleased.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess since I have not sailed with access to a Butler, I still can't figure out what that person would do that cannot and for me, has not been met by my stewardess and the folks at Seabourn Square. Maybe I have been unusually lucky, but my few needs increased with my decreased mobility on the last two cruises. Arrangements were quickly made to assist me where I needed to go, for example. I somehow think that the addition of a Butler into the Seabourn hierarchy might be more problematic unless a total reorganization was made. Thanks again.

JaneBP

We had a Butler on Silversea (they had just introduced Butler Service to all suites at the time in 2010) and she was really very nice and helpful with anything we needed - it was our very first cruise and as newbies we were grateful for that help. What did she do for us? She sorted out our Spa reservations, (I would have been happy to do that myself but she insisted!); room service was always delivered by her and the table beautifully laid (she was on duty - she worked 0800 - 1400 and then was back on again from about 1700/1800 till late); she supervised - very well - the room steward and in fact they were a great team (we always came back from breakfast and our stateroom had been serviced as if "by magic", unlike on Seabourn when on more than once occasion, our stateroom was not serviced until early afternoon and those blooming housekeeping trolleys/debris were always cluttering the hallways!); she looked after me like a "mum" when I was feeling the effects of rough seas bringing me ginger, dry crackers etc.,; she took away and brought back laundry and hung it up properly (!); she was a very happy person and was one of many of the crew on the Silver Whisper who made it such a happy time for us. I'm not sure how many suites she looked after.

They can also un-pack and pack for you which we declined - not sure how that would work for me as I am quite fastidious with my packing! LOL! But friends of ours used that service and weren't over-impressed as stuff just got thrown in their cases, so think I made the right call (they had another butler by the way).

I think a butler isn't really necessary but they can be very helpful and I think the most noticeable difference for me twixt Silverseas and Seabourn on this topic was the housekeeping as said previously.

The other thing that I just remembered, we found at times when phoning Seabourn Square to either not get an answer (i.e. no-one answered the phone) or not have calls returned with information to respond to our queries or we were mis-informed - this of course didn't happen with the Butler service as she took care of it all for us. But it's not a deal-breaker!;)

Thanks for the explanation. Based on the above, I don't think that a butler would add very much to my cruise experience. That may also be because I am not someone who likes overly personal service.

Edited by Roxburgh

Having cruised Crystal 18 times (but not partaken of the new Choice dining option) I can clarify.

The Main and Late Seatings are fixed times (6:15, 8:30). One may arrive a little late (more than 15 minutes would be disruptive, and certinaly one should not be late when tablemates are waiting).

The Choice option is like a restaurant reservation, made weeks or months in advance. That's your time, and the number at your table. You may reserve different times on different nights, and maybe even different table sizes on different nights.

But you certainly don't have the option of going to dinner when the mood strikes, with whatever size party you happen to prefer.

I imagine that the Choice option is predominately couples and groups traveling together.

I for one don't mind at all having a fixed dining time, and this has never been a downside of Crystal for us.

Also, they are very flexible and accommodating to make changes, such as if you meet friends you wish to share dinner with, you can always (in my experience) change to a table for 4 instead of your usual table. This should be requested earlier in the day or the prior day so it can be arranged, although I have little doubt that it could be arranged upon arrival (though I think that is overly demanding). We book a table for two for this purpose, and invariably make this kind of arrangement multiple times on a cruise.

Thank you very much, All too soon. This pretty well explains how it works, and actually is enough for me to know that it would not suit us - and I daresay quite a lot of Seabourn fans, who do seem to like being spontaneous regarding mealtimes and companions.

A butler does your unpacking and packing? Hmmmmm. I could get used to that. However, not all passengers have a butler, and since I don't sail in the penthouse or owner's suite, I'll stay with Seabourn.

This is why I hate all these threads that compare cruise lines or any thread that has the dreaded two letters "vs" in it. You will ALWAYS find those who prefer one line over the other and defend it to the death. The truth is that all these luxury lines are terrific. Each has certain positives and negatives that will appeal or repel certain passengers. Fortunately, we have options and choices and the ability to sail on those we prefer.

imo, the nest way to find the cruise line which best suits you is to speak with an EXPERIENCED LUXURY CRUISE TA who knows them all intimately and can guide you. Otherwise all; you are getting are personal opinions, valid as they may be.

A butler does your unpacking and packing? Hmmmmm. I could get used to that. However, not all passengers have a butler, and since I don't sail in the penthouse or owner's suite, I'll stay with Seabourn.

Jagi

All suites on Silversea have a butler! The main thing I really liked was the fact that our butler really supervised the housekeeping and I can't recall anytime we saw any housekeeping stuff lying around the hallway - they must have magic cupboards along the hall hiding it all in! LOL! Oh, and it was great fun when I got home to tell the girls when we met for our usual coffee (well something in a glass:D!) that we had a "Butler" - sounds terribly grand doesn't it! hahaha! As for packing and unpacking, no way!! But maybe that suits others.

Roxburgh - I agree, it doesn't really make much difference, but our Butler on the S/Whisper was very kind and we really enjoyed having her look after us as cruise newbies!:) And of course, your first cruise is rather special anyway, isn't it? No butler on Seabourn for us I'm afraid, but we really didn't miss one, just the person, if that makes sense.

Wripro - This is surely what CC is all about, isn't it? All of us loving getting our tuppence worth in and telling everyone else what we liked/disliked about a certain ship/cruiseline/crew even the wine! LOL! Remember the very long thread about the champagne! But yes you're right, it is only personal opinion and, yes a great cruise TA will give you all the professional advice and if you're lucky enough to have a TA like we had when we booked Seabourn; she even went to the trouble to find out which way our bed (the headboard) would face by running along the hall on a sister ship whilst on a familiarisation visit to the exact cabin we had booked on the Quest! Now that's what I call service! She had previously emailed the ship and been told all the beds face the same way!

And I imagine most CC'ers are wise enough, ugly enough, and dare I say on this thread "old" enough to know to read between the lines anyway! ;):D and do their own research on the cruiselines websites etc., but we would not now even consider Crystal from reading this thread, as we love the freestyle and simplicity of dining on Seabourn and Silversea, when, where and with whom, which as we all know can vary literally from one minute to the next! And we have made new friends whilst waiting to go into the MDR and spontaneously made up a table - wonderful and that for us is just great:)!

Jagi

But yes you're right, it is only personal opinion and, yes a great cruise TA will give you all the professional advice and if you're lucky enough to have a TA like we had when we booked Seabourn; she even went to the trouble to find out which way our bed (the headboard) would face by running along the hall on a sister ship whilst on a familiarisation visit to the exact cabin we had booked on the Quest! Now that's what I call service! She had previously emailed the ship and been told all the beds face the same way!

A real travel professional would not have to run along the hall of a sister ship to find out which way the beds face. They would know to simply look at a deckplan of the ship on the Seabourn website. Wherever the door is, the bed will be on the opposite wall. Quite simple to find out.

Seabournaddict

From your figuring if the bed had been opposite the door of our suite, I would have been sleeping out on the verandah! ;)

As for her being professional - 100% and more as far as I'm concerned as she responded to my enquiry! And in this instance (which was very important for me) a lot more knowledgeable than Seabourn office or the ship themselves!

With regards to the dining times, I think on Seabourn they are indicative of the latest they like you to arrive as we frequently were there much later then 9:30 (this time is what was on my copies of the Seabourn Daily), especially at the hosted table.

Could someone please help me understand as to what a "hosted table" is.

Seriously thinking about taking our first Seabourn cruise. One thing we love is meeting fellow cruisers around a large table at meal times (6,8,10) and making conversation at meal times. Given open dining on Seabourn, is this possible?

Edited by JohnKen3

Could someone please help me understand as to what a "hosted table" is.

Seriously thinking about taking our first Seabourn cruise. One thing we love is meeting fellow cruisers around a large table at meal times (6,8,10) and making conversation at meal times. Given open dining on Seabourn, is this possible?

JohnKen - a 'hosted' table happens a lot on Seabourn ships. An Officer, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, or member of the entertainment staff invites a group of about 8 or so to their table - you get an invitation in your suite earlier in the day. You can refuse if you wish; no-one will be offended, but it is a good way to meet fellow passengers.

If you are not at a hosted table, as you arrive at the dining room the Maitre d' will ask you if you wish to dine alone, or join others, or of course you can arrive with people you have already met and ask for a table for 4 or 6 or, I think, even 8.

If you love meeting people, you should enjoy Seabourn.:)

Seabournaddict

From your figuring if the bed had been opposite the door of our suite, I would have been sleeping out on the verandah! ;)

As for her being professional - 100% and more as far as I'm concerned as she responded to my enquiry! And in this instance (which was very important for me) a lot more knowledgeable than Seabourn office or the ship themselves!

ok to put it in an even more simple term - if your door enters the suite on the left wall, your bed will be on the right wall. If your door enters your suite on the right wall, your bed will be on the left wall. Just look at a deck plan. Then look at where the FRONT of the ship is. That will tell you very simply which way your bed will face. :rolleyes:

ok to put it in an even more simple term - if your door enters the suite on the left wall, your bed will be on the right wall. If your door enters your suite on the right wall, your bed will be on the left wall. Just look at a deck plan. Then look at where the FRONT of the ship is. That will tell you very simply which way your bed will face. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, I did understand that without the rolling of eyes! I understood it before I asked my TA! But, because I had asked the question during one of our many informed conversations prior to our cruise, and at the time whn we were selecting our suite, she assured me I had made the right choice of suite but nevertheless double-checked (unbeknown to me as we had already agreed to what you have stated re position of the bed) as she knew how important this was to me - by emailing the ship, who as it turns out gave her information which was not correct, so when she was on board one of the other larger Seabourn ships, undertaking a familiarisation visit, as most professional TA's do, she told me as she was walking around she remembered our conversation and thought while she was there, she would just check.

Really it was no big deal but a tiny example of the lengths some TAs will go to to help their clients but I feel you have made it a big deal with your rather "put-me-down" comments - and I didn't want to get fraught with you here but really trying to put it to me in simple terms and "rolling eyes" implies that I am somewhat stupid which I can assure you I am not!. I am really unhappy also that you suggested that she was not professional!

I mentioned it as I thought and still do feel that she made a real personal and professional effort to look after my personal needs - and that for me goes far beyond what she really had to do and it was used as an example in response to Wripro who had suggested to someone else that using an experienced TA as they would know the ships intimately. Well how much more intimate can you get in checking out an individual suite for her client?

The bed position (suite configuration) is very important to me.....a few years ago on a 'lit Sister TA Crossing I was sickly and unstable. No, not seasick, a cold or the flu ~ I love the sea motion and am a seasoned Sailor ~after days of feeling poorly, Dr. Herra made a house call to my suite to tell me I was suffering, "REverse vertigo!":confused: Seems I can not travel backwards! So, NO more riding stagecoachs or trains sitting backwards! I usually stay in suite #137 ~my bed faces the bow ~and sailing forward. This Crossing, I was sailing in the wrong direction!:confused: Doctor gave me some "backwards pills" and I felt somewhat better ~~now, when I book a voyage I check to see that my bed is facing forward!!:D

Anyone else have this ridiculous annoyance/nuisance?

Martita B