Celebrity/RCCL tour from Ravenna to San Marino

stipmom

For those who have been on it would you recommend doing it?

Go to San Marino! NO! About three years ago DW and I were doing our typical European driving vacation (usually about a month) and happened to be driving south from the Marche region of Italy when we realized we were not too far from San Marino. Since DW thought it would be fun to add another country to our list of visited countries (we are up to about 85) we went an hour out of our way into San Marino. The country has its hills and dales and lots of residential areas, but when you get to the main city it is one of the tackiest places we have seen in Europe. Apparently one of the biggest industries is selling trickets (made in China) that say "San Marino" somewhere on the object. Do yourself a big favor and enjoy Italy :) We parked, looked in a couple of the shops, bought a Coke Lite, and quickly "made tracks" back into Italy.

Hank

If you haven't seen Ravenna, definitely do that. I think San Marino is charming despite the tourist tatt, it has impressive views from the top, and a very interesting history. However, I think your time on a cruise day-stop is better spent seeing close-by highlights such as the mosaics in Ravenna, rather than take time driving to San Marino and back.

We visited Ravenna for the day in October - it's fantastic. Buy the ticket that gets you in to the 5 main sites of Byzantine mosaics. They are amazing. We had a fantastic day there - it's a walkable town, just watch for the cyclists as you wander! The following article will help. The combo ticket is sold at any one of the 5 sites and is valid for all of them. Take care not to make the mistake of buying the combo ticket at the national Museum - it does not cover the same sites! We bought ours at the Basilio San Vitale then moved on to the others throughout the day with a stop for lunch in the middle.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/1098ravenna.htm

For those who have been on it would you recommend doing it?

I briefly booked that Celebrity excursion due to the really great price - after doing a search on CC for other reviews. However, I canceled it after deciding I really wanted to spend most of my time in Ravenna, rather than spending the majority of time getting to and from San Marino plus the long free time there.

Archived