Guadalupe - What to do there? Is it worth it?

Cruise Gopher

On 6/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, Maverick! said:

“Her” - Patricia (or nickname Patou) would be the booking contact who’s great to provide suggestions and itinerary. Fabien, our capt for the day, picked us up at cruiseport, docked at a small slip 5 min walk over from the gangway.

I have her WhatsApp contact if need to contact.

Thanks for your help and the info!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Maverick! said:

Thanks.  I had found her info and contacted her.  I'm concerned about the hours being too close to ship arrival/departure and have been unable to garner any interest from our roll call.  I thought if we had a group we could adjust the hours. 

The hours was an issue for us as well - but we managed to put a great group together from our roll call to make the private charter possible. We are going back to Guadeloupe this December so if we were on your sailing we'd definitely do it again 😜

22 hours ago, Maverick! said:

The hours was an issue for us as well - but we managed to put a great group together from our roll call to make the private charter possible. We are going back to Guadeloupe this December so if we were on your sailing we'd definitely do it again 😜

We are on the Emerald Princess 11/25-12/23.  

On 8/13/2023 at 10:20 AM, MissiCruzs said:

We are on the Emerald Princess 11/25-12/23.  

Maybe have a look on TripAdvisor for this one...One Day Boat Trip in the Grand Cul de Sac Marin.  This tour has a similar itinerary to the one we did...

Edited by Maverick!

If could be helpful, there is also a consolidator site <icigo.com > (with Englilsh language option at top right corner) that provides overview of all of the different land and water tours and activities available across the island as well as to the other smaller islands, like Les Saintes, Marie-Galante, La Desirade.  Granted, most of the group packages, given the distances to west/east coast from Pointe-a-Pitre and early start times, are for those staying pre-cruise (e.g. MSC sailings) or for mostly French travellers doing land vacations. But it does give a good idea of how much the island has to offer and the tour operators are slowly starting to organize outings specific to cruise port calls and offer options to "privatize" the excursions for cruisers to customize own itineraries.

3 minutes ago, Maverick! said:

If could be helpful, there is also a consolidator site <icigo.com > (with Englilsh language option at top right corner) that provides overview of all of the different land and water tours and activities available across the island as well as to the other smaller islands, like Les Saintes, Marie-Galante, La Desirade.  Granted, most of the group packages, given the distances to west/east coast from Pointe-a-Pitre and early start times, are for those staying pre-cruise (e.g. MSC sailings) or for mostly French travellers doing land vacations. But it does give a good idea of how much the island has to offer and the tour operators are slowly starting to organize outings specific to cruise port calls and offer options to "privatize" the excursions for cruisers to customize own itineraries.

Thanks.  I'll keep checking as it gets closer.  I had already looked at everything on Trip Advisor.  Hoping there will be options at the pier.  Roll calls just aren't what they used to be with lots of folks jumping on board with M&Gs and activities.  Usually these longer voyages attracted a lot of following.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 12:59 AM, Maverick! said:

Thank you that website is very helpful 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to whether anyone has visited the Memorial ACTe - "a cultural center dedicated to the Memory and History of Slavery Trade." I'll be in Guadeloupe in March; it sounds as though this is about a 20 minute walk from the port. If you've visited, can you let me know whether you enjoyed it and might recommend a visit?

Thanks!

On 10/10/2023 at 8:14 PM, Sasksilver said:

I'm curious as to whether anyone has visited the Memorial ACTe - "a cultural center dedicated to the Memory and History of Slavery Trade." I'll be in Guadeloupe in March; it sounds as though this is about a 20 minute walk from the port. If you've visited, can you let me know whether you enjoyed it and might recommend a visit?

Thanks!

Also interested.

• Like 1

In Martinique and Guadeloupe, we've always brought Euros. 

Others in the tour group had to exchange the $.for the tour.  

Restos and small merchants in the market took Euros.

Maybe market merchants may be open to strike a deal on $ but likely at a exchange in their favor.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2023 at 10:29 PM, Maverick! said:

We booked with Patou Excursions , we had fantastic skipper Fabien - Patricia (Patou :)) was great to propose how we'd organize the day, working with our schedule. We happened to dock 30 mins later than when the public group tour was going out so we ended up doing a private charter just for our group.

I haven’t been able to read their website in English 🤷🏼‍♀️. How did you arrange your excursion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just booked with Patricia for our visit in March. Best way to get a hold of her was thru the WhatsApp. Will come back after our tour and let everyone know how it went. It looks wonderful. Did a deposit thru PayPal. Had to convert it to Euros. We will be going to the bank and getting Euros for the final payment to make it easier.