Experiment: Doing It Cheaply!!

yoyocruiser

Believe it or not, with your mentality I think you'll be fine. As long as you have the mentality that I'm going to go and enjoy myself, then I think you'll have a good time regardless of actual arrangements. It's the people who can't fathom this or that, or need to be at a certain level that will have issues.

We normally travel top end suites, etc. However, every once in awhile we have family reunions and they get booked by some travel coordinator somewhere and we usually just 'go with the flow' and end up in inside or obstructed view rooms. While not as enjoyable as an owners/2br suite - hey, its not like someone is throwing you lemons. You're still cruising. . .

Yoyocruiser, I have 100% full faith that you will be just fine! I did the Sky four days inside and I found it got me out more. I enjoyed the late afternoons and early evenings out on decks when everyone was getting ready for dinner. There are many cozy places on the Sky to enjoy when one does not have a balcony. I have done suites before and I have no problem going back to the boiler room. Sometimes I have more money and sometimes I have less money. No matter, a room at the inn can always be found these days!

I forgot to add: My next cruise is in a suite and doing it "expensive." I wish I was in a balcony or lower instead because I know I can have just as good a time for thousands of dollars less. Well, I already paid the man in full so I will try to make the best of it. LOL

Have a great trip!

coka

Please let us know how it goes - we have always had a balcony - which we love - but our "experiment" will be 9 days on the Sun where we will have an inside for the first time. Then its back to an AFT balcony on the Epic in Jan 2013 - then back into an inside for Hawaii May 2013. If the Sun doesn't go well I might have to upgrade - I hope not, Hawaii is going to bust the budget as it is. I am afraid of the "suite life" - I am also addicted to cruising and a suite would cut down on how often we cruise. I hope you will have if not a glowing report, at least a positive one - you already are 90% there - attitude is the most important part of travel.

Have a wonderful time!

We were in a mini suite on the Sun two years ago and this past June decided to take an inside guarantee on the Sun for the Baltic. Our reasoning being, it would be cold and we wouldn't be in the room that much since it was so port intensive. Turns out we got one of the famous sideways interior cabins and we LOVED it. The way we look at it, the less we spend, the more often we can cruise.

Have a great time on the Sky! Leave her in good shape for me in February!

Oh, I forgot to add: If I wasn't in that darned suite in a few months I could be celebrating New Year's Eve in Montreal or New York City or Boston right now...instead of perusing the CC boards tonight...LOL

Happy New Year Everyone!

coka

Oh, I forgot to add: If I wasn't in that darned suite in a few months I could be celebrating New Year's Eve in Montreal or New York City or Boston right now...instead of perusing the CC boards tonight...LOL

Happy New Year Everyone!

coka

I am with you, Coka. I have got to get away from this computer but this 30,000,000 post thing is all I can think about.

We are thinking of doing the same thing!!!

Had to cancel our suite cruise for Feb and now the circumstance that caused us to cancel has been delayed....

The cost of the suite has doubled and airfare is RIDICULOUS. We are thinking of booking an ov and driving to NY. I told him we'll bring our own wine on board, won't eat in specialty restaurants and find our own inexpensive excursions...

Please report back upon your return....:p

Depending on which direction you are coming in from... drive to Reading PA the night before then take the Bieber Bus from Kutztown PA. Parking at the bus terminal is free and the round trip fare is $55/pp to the Port Authority.

Well we have been assigned our room now. We are on Deck 7 (which is fine--better than the boiler room :D or all the way down) and are totally at the front of the ship (near the Kids Corner I think). It appears that we are sandwiched between a floor of cabins and a floor with a mystery area--I am thinking it is probably staff cabins. So that is good--at least it isn't over the disco. I don't mind being forward, motion sickness is not a big issue for us. I had actually hoped for better--perhaps a bump to an OV--but I knew better--was just dreaming. We took a gamble on the guarantee room and we are fine with it. I think it is pretty good for $179.

Sounds like a lot of people are downsizing so I feel that our experiment may be helpful to others who are planning.

Coka, I do think of the price and then weigh that out against other vacations or family fun that we could have. The suites are incredibly expensive--not questioning their value--but it is probably not something I need to get "used to".

It is always about choices. And maybe this is the issue--that as I have gotten older and could afford more amenities when I traveled, I have proceeded to do so perhaps without thinking it through. This is not to say that I have any regrets about the suite cruises--not at all.

Well we have been assigned our room now. We are on Deck 7 (which is fine--better than the boiler room :D or all the way down) and are totally at the front of the ship (near the Kids Corner I think). It appears that we are sandwiched between a floor of cabins and a floor with a mystery area--I am thinking it is probably staff cabins. So that is good--at least it isn't over the disco. I don't mind being forward, motion sickness is not a big issue for us. I had actually hoped for better--perhaps a bump to an OV--but I knew better--was just dreaming. We took a gamble on the guarantee room and we are fine with it. I think it is pretty good for $179.

Sounds like a lot of people are downsizing so I feel that our experiment may be helpful to others who are planning.

Coka, I do think of the price and then weigh that out against other vacations or family fun that we could have. The suites are incredibly expensive--not questioning their value--but it is probably not something I need to get "used to".

It is always about choices. And maybe this is the issue--that as I have gotten older and could afford more amenities when I traveled, I have proceeded to do so perhaps without thinking it through. This is not to say that I have any regrets about the suite cruises--not at all.

We were in 7309 and 7310 when we sailed in 2009. The area was rather quiet and the cabins were acceptable (we had 4 in one cabin and 3 in the other).

My first cruise was with my Mom to Alaska. She was outraged by the price of a Coke and the excursions! So I said, let's just not spend any money on board and see what the ports bring.

We had a wonderful time. Now, this was ten years ago, so prices have surely gone up. But we still managed to have a great bus tour of Juneau for five bucks apiece! Bought at the pier from a guy with a bus. It was a hoot.

Every port has something going on...we just never took one that looked even a little iffy or was cutting it too close.

I predict you will have a GREAT time! Happy New Year!

Our last two cruises we have been fortunate enough to sail in suites, where obviously the experience is likely to be more favorable and a different level of service provided. So this will be an interesting experiment to determine if 1) indeed as everyone here says--if you sail in a suite it ruins you forever--:eek::D ?? and 2) are my extremely positive feelings about NCL primarily related to my experience in suites.

My experiment is to absolutely do the entire trip as cheaply as possible (no I will not smuggle in booze). I am just really wondering if I have convinced myself that I have to have certain things. When I traveled in my younger days I was much more willing to go forgo many of the amenities. Do I really need these things to have a good time? For years I have said I could not possibly cruise without a balcony--well, really? Maybe that's true. But maybe its not.

So I am moving down from a suite to an INSIDE room, the lowest level, a guaranteed room assignment. We could end up in the boiler room I guess. Because this cruise was so inexpensive AND booked so late, we are not getting insurance nor are we flying in a day early. (Yes, I am indeed breaking every rule I have regarding cruising. In doing this I realize that things can go badly--but I have consciously decided that I will be able to deal with that if it happens.)

I am traveling with my college age son and daughter. We will not book excursions, or eat in specialty dining rooms, buy pictures, or anything else. We will not pay for activities. We will forgo costly transportation in favor of shuttles and vans to and from the airport. My kids are aware of the experiment and are good to go. They are thrilled to go somewhere warm and be on a ship. I will carry on a couple bottles of wine and pay the corkage--LOL--the one splurge.

We are going on the Sky out of Miami week after next. It is a four night cruise and we are just as excited as when looking forward to our previous cruises. I will report my findings back to CCers.:D Any predictions?? Has anyone else made this comparison??

I think this is a very cool experiment!! Can't wait to see how your experience measures up and to hear what you discover you can or can't live without!!!!

Have fun!! :D

Although we have never done a suite,my DW told me 10 years ago,"We can do a suite once a year or a inside or a great deal on a balcony twice a year" so we cruise insides and balconies.We are always out and about on the ship so I don't think I will ever spend the money for a suite.

P.S. Dw is a CPA and cheap.

You can do it!! I've done it before. It becomes a game/contest. I have sailed with three kids and only had the gratuities on my onboard account at the end- NOTHING else. In an inside. I still tipped extra to the cabin steward but that was cash I brought on board. No specialty restaurants, no spending in port besides a bus to the beach. It's fun!!

To be perfectly honest, after making the gradual progression to NCL suites I am hooked. But due to unforseen circumstanced ended up on Carnival earlier in 2011 in an outside cabin. All the suites were sold out... But it was not a big deal because from what I learned the only perk was early embarkation aside from a larger cabin with balcony. Guess what? Had a great time.

Truthfully, it would be hard for me to sail on NCL not in a suite knowing what I know now. If I was not in a suite you would probably find me in the morning hanging around Cagneys and whining. Haha. They have spoiled me! And with the extra per night latitudes point for booking suites I find myself rationalizing too. Haha.

But I admire your experiment. In port, I would probably stay on board and enjoy the ship/pool/deck while most go ashore then head out late for a quick look-see. We did this in Ensenada and it was perfect.

I think you'll enjoy the ship more. We all say "we only use the room to sleep", but when you're in a nice room you tend to spend more time there. We found this when we were in an OS on the Vision. It was an awesome room, and sometimes we just hung out there.

With you in an inside I bet you spend a lot more time out and about doing things on the ship. You'll find places to sit and relax that you never would have found (or looked for) otherwise, and you'll fill you day with fun things rather than sit in your inside room. I think this is a great thing. Besides, when you're at a nice meal, enjoying a show, playing on the pool deck, etc., it'll feel exactly like a suite cruise.

Have a great time!

I totally agree. I think you will find more to do on the ship than ever before. We have not done an inside but do like the thought of a "sleep cave". You will have so much fun you will wish it were 7 days instead of 4!

Sometimes, circumstances force you to "experiment".

I am recently seperated after cruising for the last six years with my former husband.

I refuse to let a seperation curtail my cruising mentality so am taking my first cruise solo on the Epic in October 2012 and celebrating my 50th birthday at the same time :).

Everything will be an "experiment":-

1) being on my own for the first time instead of part of a couple

2) a new line (NCL) - have only travelled P & O, Cunard and once on Royal Carribean (didnt like that!)

3) a studio cabin instead of a balcony

4) Excursions may have to be organised - previously have just got off the ship and taken local transport but may feel a little safer with organised tours

5) not so sure about eating on my own so chose the Epic because of my circumstances and the Solo lounge - so I can meet people more easily

I am looking forward to your review when back - despite the above, in the back of my mind, my cruise this time is just going to be like any other - even with the many differences ;)

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Very interesting to read all the comments about various types of staterooms,we have been on 4 NCL cruises 2 balcony 1 ocean view and 1 inside on deck 10 ,as far as enjoyment goes we loved them all we enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds therefore spend little time in the cabin.The service was excellent on all 4 cruises however on our last cruise I became ill and was confined to the cabin for 24hrs.although I felt better after a couple of hours I was still confined to the cabin, the medical staff ring you up to make sure you havent gone out I know this is to stop infection spreading but It was very boring in an inside cabin with nothing to look at.Weve booked another inside for the 20th on the Jade just hope I am not ill this time!!! Something to think about......

Reading this was so timely....we have cruised many times and have always had a balcony or a suite. Not this time. We got a great deal on flights from the UK, three nights in NY and a ten night cruise departing next Sunday. We decided to take it and go with the inside cabin on offer. We are on deck 10 on the Gem and I can honestly say that I am as excited about this holiday as I am any other.

I love being on holiday with my husband and as I see it....the money I have saved on the stateroom means I can spend some of it elsewhere - speciality dining, nice hotel in NY etc.

Roll on our flight in three days time. Whoohoo!!!

So great to know that others are doing this also. I feel I have gotten some great encouragement here--everything from noting how nice the sleeping can be in an inside cabin, to how the people you are with (in this case my kids) are the most important aspect of the cruise, to pointing out that we may become more advenurous about participating in activities on the ship instead of sitting in the room.

DMH15--I am thinking I will stay on board at least one of the days. It is a port intensive cruise. And its true--you can really enjoy the ship to the max when it is not crowded--so that is another way to optimize the trip at no cost.

Loving the feedback.

So great to know that others are doing this also. I feel I have gotten some great encouragement here--everything from noting how nice the sleeping can be in an inside cabin, to how the people you are with (in this case my kids) are the most important aspect of the cruise, to pointing out that we may become more advenurous about participating in activities on the ship instead of sitting in the room.

DMH15--I am thinking I will stay on board at least one of the days. It is a port intensive cruise. And its true--you can really enjoy the ship to the max when it is not crowded--so that is another way to optimize the trip at no cost.

Loving the feedback.

I think you will thoroughly enjoy yourselves!! We have always sailed with an inside cabin...once upselled to an oceanview (window) cabin. It was ok having a window...but really...we enjoy the total darkness of an inside. We do not stay in the room as we like to explore the ship and check out what's going on...as well as just have a seat out on a deck somewhere and enjoy the breeze and view!!!

We have 6 ports on our upcoming ten day cruise. We have booked private excursions at 3 of the ports...and will get off and just walk and take in what we see at the other 3...all to not spend too much:rolleyes:

As some others have said, we like to spend our money at the ports, so therefore, we always book an inside cabin!

Have fun!!!

that is a cool experiment. Me and my wife went on our honeymoon on the jade and reserved a penthouse suite, a few weeks before our sailing we got upgraded to a courtyard penthouse. while on board due to some complications with our room, we where given the 3 br garden villa.

Now, im planning on taking some company perks that will allow me for $1400 to my vacation this year. We are still looking on what trip to book a 4 day cruise, on an SG category for 719$ or go into an outside cabin on the epic for 7 days. I would believe that with your experiment, we´ll know for sure if we are spoiled or not.

Have fun on your experiment, and try to make the best out of it. I´m sure u´ll enjoy the sun outside.

I will be interested in hearing how your experiment goes. Since we have never been able to swing a suite we haven't had that much to worry about and have been fine with either insides or a balcony depending on the cost, iteniary, etc....but after our recent experience on Sun where we had the best balcony cabin at sea, we feel like we are gong to be spoiled for future cruises where we don't get as large a cabin or balcony.

In the past we had balcony suites, but I could never enjoy the balcony because when the ship was sailing it was too cold and/or windy. Once the ship was in port I couldn't wait to get off to explore our destination, which is, ironically, the best time to enjoy the balcony.

We had an OS twice and PH once, and the entire time I was finding EVERYTHING wrong with it, i.e., threadbare carpets, broken drawers, hot tub that didn't get hot, etc., and I regretted paying big bucks for for I believed to be a Motel 8 room. To me, the perks were NEVER worth the extra price.

We did several transAtlantic trips to/from Europe and transPacific trips to/from Hawaii but hardly set foot on the balcony. Now we only book inside cabins, and the money saved allows us to go nuts on shore excursions with smaller groups and splurge on gifts to bring home.

The only thing I thought I would miss is being able to look outside at the weather, but all I have to do is turn on the channel to see the webcam at the front of the ship or run up/down 1-2 flights of stairs to get to an outside deck to check it out.

I'm sure you will have a GREAT time! Can't wait to see the results of your experiment.

Archived