Oasis LIVE (one month later!) Review

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your review - it's exactly the style I enjoy (and try to write!) And your DH's photos are sensational - I have had some nice comments about mine in my recent Enchantment review, but this is a whole different level. Guess I'll just have to take another cruise (can you persuade me onto Oasis?!) and try harder. Oh, well!

I have also just seen your shipmate shooraq's photos as well - wow, this must be the best recorded cruise in history :)

I need to check that out...I haven't been able to read as many reviews lately between my own trips, but I love reading about the other ships too, so I can decide what I might like! I think Enchantment is the same class as Grandeur? She was lovely, but that cruise was too short- 4 days, barely got there and we were headed home!

I'm sure your photos are lovely! My husband an environmental portrait photographer so he gets embarrassed when I post his other photos because he thinks they are not "good enough", I'd like to be able to take some "not good " photos! Sigh...

I need to check that out...I haven't been able to read as many reviews lately between my own trips, but I love reading about the other ships too, so I can decide what I might like! I think Enchantment is the same class as Grandeur? She was lovely, but that cruise was too short- 4 days, barely got there and we were headed home!...

Yes, she is a Vision class too, but had a 'stretch' in 2005. I was on her for 12 days and had 14 on the Grandeur earlier in the year. I tend to prefer ships without a street in them, but I feel I must try Oasis/Allure some day, so looking forward to the rest of your review.

Yes, she is a Vision class too, but had a 'stretch' in 2005. I was on her for 12 days and had 14 on the Grandeur earlier in the year. I tend to prefer ships without a street in them, but I feel I must try Oasis/Allure some day, so looking forward to the rest of your review.

I hear you! I was apprehensive at first...I'm not a person who thinks " more" or "bigger" is always better, I dont enjoy shopping, and was worried the focal point of the ship would be a mall! But as I pointed out in my other mini review, this ship isn't just those things, it's really ingeniously designed! People who liked the mall had their place and I had plenty of other places to enjoy.

You should give her or Allure a try, you might be surprised as I was!

Day 1 question: What side of the ship was the house with the flowrider on? I want to be sure we are in the right place when we set sail I gotta see that thing!

Also, where should we go hang out when the ship leaves port? DH is a first time cruiser, and its my first RCL cruise so we don't have any bells and whistles to get the royal treatment :)

Day 1 question: What side of the ship was the house with the flowrider on? I want to be sure we are in the right place when we set sail I gotta see that thing!

Also, where should we go hang out when the ship leaves port? DH is a first time cruiser, and its my first RCL cruise so we don't have any bells and whistles to get the royal treatment :)

Happy Anniversary! We were on the port side on our balcony, so if you are on starboard or an interior, I would hightly recommend the aft balcony on 11, 12, or 14 port side. You just walk down the hallway of cabins (look for the hall sign that says PORT, on the wall, left if you are facing front, right side if you are walking to the back of the ship.) and there is a door at the end. You probably wont be alone there on sailaway, but you will get a good view and have fun there!

Have a great cruise!!

Dear Most Excellent Trip Reporter Who Is Apparently from the Greater Boston Area,

You are a top-tier reporter. My Oasis trip starts in 3 days, and I feel like you put me on the ship already. We have 3 couples, 2 of whom are your Connecticut neighbors.

I like the web cam idea, but I think my sons would NEVER watch for us. My sister's daughters might, though.

BTW, I am a fellow very strict "Fishatarian," for over 20 years now (also starting in diapers, right?) And I agree with you about the food. I do not recall any cruise ship food "good old days."

You are doing a good thing with this report--it put a smile on my face. And I am even more excited about the Oasis.

Barbara

Dear Most Excellent Trip Reporter Who Is Apparently from the Greater Boston Area,

You are a top-tier reporter. My Oasis trip starts in 3 days, and I feel like you put me on the ship already. We have 3 couples, 2 of whom are your Connecticut neighbors.

I like the web cam idea, but I think my sons would NEVER watch for us. My sister's daughters might, though.

BTW, I am a fellow very strict "Fishatarian," for over 20 years now (also starting in diapers, right?) And I agree with you about the food. I do not recall any cruise ship food "good old days."

You are doing a good thing with this report--it put a smile on my face. And I am even more excited about the Oasis.

Barbara

Thanks you made my day!! But I am extremely jealous and am wondering just how much room you have left in your suitcase? You will have a teriffic trip!

If you check out the webcams you can see which one you might like to do...then just have the kids fire it up at the appointed time. Whats funny is we would wave for about a solid minute and then just chit chat for a while then wave again. But not one of the webshots shows us waving, we were always waving when the camera was off! D'oH!:rolleyes:

I don't know how close your gang of 6 is, but I know for our foursome, we found it easier to be together for shows and dinners and certain other activities (say...an excursion or Quest), but we didn't constantly set meeting places, all day long because both couples found stuff changes and there is nothing more annoying than having to interrupt something great 'cause you said we have to meet these folks.

We would have a general plan...like we will probably be in the Solarium, or we will probably eat at the Park Cafe, but not written in stone so if the other couple decided to do something else, no one was freaking out or waiting around, but we often found eachother there anyway. Just a bit of advice, not sure if it will work for you!

Oh, have a great time...you will love this ship!:D

let me begin by saying i am absolutely loving every second of your review!! the details, side notes, pictures,...love love love! my ? is regarding the comedy show. i know on some cruises they have 2 comedians, with each having their own individual night to perform. is that the case on oasis? or do both comedians perform at the same show? just wondering so i know how to do my reservations. thanks! and looking forward to more review!

let me begin by saying i am absolutely loving every second of your review!! the details, side notes, pictures,...love love love! my ? is regarding the comedy show. i know on some cruises they have 2 comedians, with each having their own individual night to perform. is that the case on oasis? or do both comedians perform at the same show? just wondering so i know how to do my reservations. thanks! and looking forward to more review!

Thank you! I'm sure some people tear their hair out with all my parenthesis, but I gotta be who I am!

Onto comedy! Both comedians performed in the same show. It was just like a comedy club; the host " warms up the crowd" then introduces the first one, he does a 15-20 minute set, then the other guy. There is also a " late night" non reservation show that is probably a bit more R rated, but we didn't catch it. Also, if you like comedy, don't miss the " Throw Me A Line" show at the end of the cruise. I'll review it later, but it was fun! In addition to all the planned shows, little gems like this pop up on your cruise compass. I was glad I had double booked shows on a night or two early in the week so at the end we were open for some of the " unplanned" entertainment.

So bottom line if you book the comedy show, you will get to see both guys (or gals...they rotate frequently to stay fresh!)

Loving this review, thanks for taking the time to write and share, we set sail on a back to back this Saturday on Oasis and I can"t wait! So much so I'm up at 5am UK time as I can't sleep with excitement so reading such a detailed, well written review was just what I needed! Thanks

Lovin' it! I figured from your other posts that your review would be fun and informative...you have a great style. Can't wait for more.

You mentioned posting your spreadsheet in your mini review but seems like you have changed your mind about posting it on cc. I have only done one and am interested in how others make them. I think other inexperienced cruisers might also learn from it...if they are into doing spreadsheets. Would you consider posting it at the end, or maybe on the first time cruisers forum?

Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. Reading reviews helps me escape the dreary days of winter.

Loving this review, thanks for taking the time to write and share, we set sail on a back to back this Saturday on Oasis and I can"t wait! So much so I'm up at 5am UK time as I can't sleep with excitement so reading such a detailed, well written review was just what I needed! Thanks

Oh Oh! now you will need a nap...I know the feeling well;) Have a super cruise, I really think you'll love it!

Great review so far! I am sailing the sister ship, Allure, in October. Your review is giving me a good idea of what to expect and I definitely like what I am seeing :D

I think you will!

Lovin' it! I figured from your other posts that your review would be fun and informative...you have a great style. Can't wait for more.

You mentioned posting your spreadsheet in your mini review but seems like you have changed your mind about posting it on cc. I have only done one and am interested in how others make them. I think other inexperienced cruisers might also learn from it...if they are into doing spreadsheets. Would you consider posting it at the end, or maybe on the first time cruisers forum?

Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. Reading reviews helps me escape the dreary days of winter.

Thanks! I haven't forgotten you! I do plan to post an image of the before and after planning spread sheet at the end of this review...and as I mentioned earlier- its pretty funny how much it changed! Because I had to do the scans along with the Compasses, I had to wait till after Christmas. So I definitely have one you or anyone can look at. I have no idea if it will be helpful to anyone else, but I found it really helpful to be able to "see" what is planned each day.

Thank you! I'm sure some people tear their hair out with all my parenthesis, but I gotta be who I am!

Onto comedy! Both comedians performed in the same show. It was just like a comedy club; the host " warms up the crowd" then introduces the first one, he does a 15-20 minute set, then the other guy. There is also a " late night" non reservation show that is probably a bit more R rated, but we didn't catch it. Also, if you like comedy, don't miss the " Throw Me A Line" show at the end of the cruise. I'll review it later, but it was fun! In addition to all the planned shows, little gems like this pop up on your cruise compass. I was glad I had double booked shows on a night or two early in the week so at the end we were open for some of the " unplanned" entertainment.

So bottom line if you book the comedy show, you will get to see both guys (or gals...they rotate frequently to stay fresh!)

I didn't catch that show either but, as I remember it, the regular comedy show wasn't exactly "G" rated.:eek::D

Edited by Ocean Boy

Day 3 Mon, Dec 5 Sea Day: The Day of Our First (and last) Workout

On Monday, we decided to have an early-ish breakfast (about 8 AM) in the Solarium Cafe and then hit the gym for a work out. The Solarium Cafe was one of my favorite places to eat because it was always one of the least crowded. The staff there was very solicitous, they made you feel like joining them there was choosing to patronize your local restaurant; like they were so happy to have your business. Of course this is a "free" venue at breakfast and lunch, so really I'm not sure what the motivation for that was other than wanting to make the best impression. Possibly each venue is graded on the results from comment cards, maybe individual managers compete in some way for attendance even in free venues? (but that's just ...say it with me folks...speculation on my part).

Anyway, the breakfast is "healthier" as advertised, but honestly, I noticed much of the same food there, with the exception of the danishes, and bacon, as any other venue. Eggs, pancakes, turkey bacon, nice muffins, all kinds of cereals, oatmeal and mueslis, as well as an enormous selection of fruit. And it's the same bad coffee everywhere!

After breakfast we went a few decks down to the gym and spa. The ship was really rocking this day, as it had been the night before. The only time I found my self the teensiest bit sick was in the gym. You could see the spray coming up on the bow and the horizon kept dipping and rising. I kept my eye on it and was fine, but I did find those small windows disappointing compared to the larger windows on other ships. But I understand that there is only so much prime real estate and I can see why they chose not to have the gym take that space.

I was not impressed by the gym or gym staff. In other ship gyms, there was always a staff member or two around to help you, find the water and towels or secure a machine (and ensure people moved on after the requisite 30 minutes- we noticed many people who were there when we got there still going strong on their machine after we did our 30 minutes and moved onto our weight and floor work). You would expect the staff to wander through the weight area and help you find a certain weight or assist with a piece of equipment.

We never saw a staff member, although we sure heard one- somehow we always manage to work out when the spin class is going on. The instructors for these classes have to be everyone's worst nightmare, I don't know how people put up with the screaming and shouting...this is the reason I ride outside whenever possible. Then the only screams and shouts I hear are from the motorists.

The gym was crowded, but we did manage to find the last two stationary bikes ( and right next to each other!; my DH is lucky like this, we will go somewhere where parking is impossible and he will find the guy pulling out of the front row spot every time!) (but I digress) Unfortunately, the gym is also laid out very strangely, we kept wandering from room to room looking for free weights, and mats. I was only able to find one exercise ball, and another lady wanted one too, so I passed it on to her as soon as I finished. I never found resistance bands, and no one ever asked if we needed assistance as we and several other passengers were running around trying to locate equipment like we were Quest Captains. So for all these reasons and having nothing whatsoever to do with our own motivation- this was our final workout of the cruise.

After the workout, we relaxed in the Solarium for a while.

We love the Solariums on all ships, but this one really takes it up a notch. We never had trouble finding a chair somewhere, and there are panoramic views of the ocean from nearly every seat, the only question is whether you are in the first row (with your toes at the windows) and have no one else in your view or are a few rows back and have a few people in front of your view of the ocean. We actually enjoyed sitting in the chairs up on the "balcony", where there was a little bit more elbow room. There are two large hot tubs and a plunge pool with sprayers in the middle. The cafe is right there, so you have easy access to flavored water or snacks with out having to walk more than 10 steps. I spent so much time in the Solarium, that one night my DH and I had to wander around the pool decks just to see what they looked like.

(photos of Solarium)

140588194.jpg

140735152.jpg

I know this one is silly (and nobody wants to look at our legs) but I thought it shows just how close to the sea you are if you can find one of those front row chairs in the Solarium. We had a no problem finding one on most days, but I think people sleep overnight in the love seat/sala beds. I'm not saying they were chair hogs, they were literally there 24/7 and with the cafe there; no reason to ever leave!! There are only about 4 of them and we never saw one available till debarkation day, so we promptly plopped down and took in the view of glorious Port Everglades, just to say we did!

(photo of pools)

140735147.jpg

140735150.jpg

We went back to the cabin to clean up for our Meet and Mingle, and we had the matinee Hairspray show booked. Our M & M was held in Dazzles at 11:15.

(photo from Dazzles- check out the people prepping for the zipline and the statue of the hang glider guy!)

140588058.jpg

It was very lightly attended, but it was fun to meet several of our more active Roll Call participants and of course the odds were good for giveaways and I think just about one person in every party got one of the prizes. My DH won ( of course...see above about being lucky) a gift package including a wipe off message board, and what I was most excited about was the 30 minutes of free internet. We made the mistake of trying to use the wifi in our room with the iPad and used 22 minutes just trying to connect to Facebook, I sent one message to my kids and that was the extent of my free minutes! My recommendation would be to work offline and then use your own device while sitting nearer to computer center (deck 7 forward stairs) if you want to maximize your minutes with better connectivity.

We had lunch again at the Park Cafe. Every time we ate there we found it slightly challenging to find seats, but usually were able to come up with something before our food was ready. We usually used the tactic of having one person seek seats while the other stood in line for food. The line moved quickly, the wait with 5-7 people in front of us was never more than 5-10 minutes. By the time food gatherer returned, chair hunter had usually located a table somewhere in Central Park. Quite a few people used the Giovanni's outdoor tables if they weren't being used by Giovanni's customers.

After lunch we headed down to the Opal Theater for our Hairspray reservation. When we arrived we looked over the rail from Deck 5 (balcony level) to Deck 4 (theater main entrance). Another lady was also waiting and as we were all debating whether we would have to go downstairs one more level and wait in the HUGE line that snaked all the way to the out along Entertainment Place, a staff member showed up with a scanner thingy and opened the balcony doors, just as the downstairs doors were opening (they are very careful to open them all at the same time, so it doesn't matter where you stand). When you have made reservations, your Seapass is loaded with the data and the staff person scans your Seapass and in you go. So after waving the other lady ahead (she was there first after all, and this was the most polite cruise I have ever experienced, though I can't guarantee what it was like on deck 4 at that moment) we were the 2nd, 3, 4 and 5th people into the balcony area, literally without a wait.

So my recommendation would be to not wait in the line, if you aren't near the very front, instead, wait on Deck 5 at the balcony and sit up there. Or if you really must sit on the floor or mezzanine level, enter at the empty balcony door and go down the interior stairs to those seats. You will still be ahead of the game. My seating advice for the Opal theater is this...it is a big theater and there are poles (unlike some smaller ships) so be sure to check that the really good empty seats you see are not behind a pole. We saw many people sit in seats like this and then have to move. Also, the first row or two in the balcony can have views affected by the safety rail, so the third or further row is better. The front floor seats are not your best choice for the Come Fly With Me show as much of the action there happens in the air. We really found that we enjoyed the mezzanine level seats, especially those just to the right or left of center where the protective rail for some equipment can hinder sightlines above. Just be extra careful with mezzanine seats because this is where the poles are. In any case, there really aren't any bad seats here except for the poles and rails. We saw the headliner from the left balcony and it was fine! We decided there was no reason whatsoever to arrive at a show we had reservations for any earlier than 20- 25 minutes, unless you are trying to sit together with a huge group. And we were never disappointed with our place in the theaters. We didn't see too much seat saving, and certainly, we didn't notice any fisticuffs. We often entered the theater and our friends were just behind us, so we held the seats till they could get down the aisle, luckily, no one felt the need to smack us in the nose for this infraction.

We felt Hairspray was excellent. We have seen many productions; Broadway, West End, and Broadway touring companies and the acting and vocal talent was as good as other shows we've seen. The one exception was casting, which due to the fact that it's on a cruise ship, and the talent cast for the parts of older people were young people with gray paint in their hair. I think there are not to many older people who are willing to commit to a life performing on a cruise ship, but that's just...well, you know!

After the show, we relaxed on our balcony and got ready for a late dinner at 7:45 in the MDR. After dinner we wandered down to entertainment place to hear Jazz on 4, the venue is beautiful, like some kind of speakeasy form the 1920's, big clubby red booths and tufted velvet chairs. It's a another of the Oasis "too cozy to be true" spaces. The jazz combo was excellent, while we were there they were performing standards...ok, but I like something a little edgier in my jazz, a little going off the map, but they certainly did what they did well and we enjoyed the set.

(photo of Jazz Club)

140588212.jpg

At 10:00 PM we headed to the Opal Theater again for the Love and Marriage Show. We were pretty early so we just sat and chillaxed with a drink for a while. At 10:30 Ken, the activities director, started "auditioning" couples...always a hoot! This was our first "show" with Amy Fickert the new CD on Oasis. As I mentioned earlier, we really liked her chemistry with Ken, but she had a hard time finding the quick funny thing to say in these improvisational shows. To be really great, you have to know how to take what is happening and say something to make it funnier. I can't do it, so I certainly don't hold it against anyone. This is a huge operation and I would imagine you need skills more than just being the "class clown" to be good at it. I did find the show funny and enjoyable, so I would term it a success!

The captain had announced before dinner time that he was slowing down the ship due to the high winds. This meant our arrival in St Thomas would be delayed by up to an hour (in fact we were only 1/2 hour late), but he expected a much smoother ride, which is exactly what happened, for the first time since we boarded (when not docked) you felt like you could safely walk around without thinking about where you were going to end up! So no more staggering, but we did stagger off to bed!

Day 3 Compass

So there it is a whole day, and it's not even 8 AM EST...I'm off to work today, so I will be back later to swell my head with your kind comments...errr...I mean answer any questions! Thanks to all who have posted such nice things...and to those who have kindly held back what you really think and decided to take my mom's advice that "if you don't have anything nice to say..." ;-) Especially the English teachers, oh the English teachers could have a field day with my posts!

(So there it is a whole day, and it's not even 8 AM EST...I'm off to work today, so I will be back later to swell my head with your kind comments...errr...I mean answer any questions! Thanks to all who have posted such nice things...and to those who have kindly held back what you really think and decided to take my mom's advice that "if you don't have anything nice to say..." ;-) Especially the English teachers, oh the English teachers could have a field day with my posts!

My preference was alway for math and science teachers anyway.

I did watch you on the www.portevergladeswebcam.com on sail away day. :D:DI recall the Australian flag.

You can watch your sail away again if you like not sure if you know it is available on www.portfever.com in the archive section ~ sail away replay.

Hey Emmy, thanks for reminding me about the archive. My daughter and I were the Aussie flag wavers :D

Have just spent time reminiscing by watching both our Oasis and Solstice (albeit in the dark I could spot us) sailaways.

Kathy, I'm reliving our cruise through your review. Great job, really enjoying it and was lovely to meet you both.

I share your feelings on the Nassau snorkelling. If anyone gets to come 'down under', although the South Pacific islands are not normally the place to go - there is much, much better snorkelling there on the Isle of Pines, at Lifou and Champagne Bay. As well as on the Great Barrier Reef of course ;)

My preference was alway for math and science teachers anyway.

Sounds as though your beloved teaches science and math! I have several teachers on my Jewel Roll call, so I'm quite nervous the M&M will turn into a tutoring session! I can write properly with my little students- I just don't choose to for fun!

I'll have to check the Compasses. But my recollection is that all the Comedy was considered adult only, while the CD shows such as Quest, Battle of the Sexes was PG 13. I just recall there being a stronger warning about the Comedy show offered at or after midnight.

Don't get Will in any more trouble! But sheesh, how bad can a kid be who is on CC all the time- not like he's out hanging on street corners:rolleyes:

Hey Emmy, thanks for reminding me about the archive. My daughter and I were the Aussie flag wavers :D

Have just spent time reminiscing by watching both our Oasis and Solstice (albeit in the dark I could spot us) sailaways.

Kathy, I'm reliving our cruise through your review. Great job, really enjoying it and was lovely to meet you both.

I share your feelings on the Nassau snorkelling. If anyone gets to come 'down under', although the South Pacific islands are not normally the place to go - there is much, much better snorkelling there on the Isle of Pines, at Lifou and Champagne Bay. As well as on the Great Barrier Reef of course ;)

Moira- I checked it out too! I remember you saying that you could ask the cam operator to focus on you, and he seemed to do that for 2 or three groups we saw waving! Next time we are doing that for sure!

I was embarrassed by what was on offer for snorkeling for you...these folks live in Australia...and well, this doesn't come close! But we enjoyed your company!

It was great meeting you and Brit...I have to compliment her. What a wonderful young lady you have raised! I was so impressed by her attitude. A lot of teens are all about "get me to where the other kids are". I saw Brit enjoying every moment of her " American" experience, taking it all in and appreciating it with someone she loves, rather than running off with strangers. That shows a lot of maturity and some really wonderful values! Because what is travel all about if it's not to appreciate far away places with our loved ones?

I can certainly see why you like to indulge her in these wonderful trips!

I do hope we end up on another voyage with you- that Australia NZ itinerary is on our list.:D

Hey Robyn! I would LOVE to see you photos because I know for certain yours are different... because I never saw you once on this cruise!:eek:;) It is one of my regrets, I so enjoyed your company on the roll call! Just you watch, one day you will be at the grocery store here in MA, and suddenly you will hear..."Shooraq..is that YOU!"

I'm sure you got some great shots! I'd love to see them. Hope you do get to post a review or a link to your blog!

I'm glad you got to see the photos I took. I bet you figured out which one is me and which one is Ben.. (hint, Ben is the white guy with the Kangol hat... haha).

If you ever want to meet up for coffee or a meal, let me know, always interested in meeting new people, especially those addicted to cruising!

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your review - it's exactly the style I enjoy (and try to write!) And your DH's photos are sensational - I have had some nice comments about mine in my recent Enchantment review, but this is a whole different level. Guess I'll just have to take another cruise (can you persuade me onto Oasis?!) and try harder. Oh, well!

I have also just seen your shipmate shooraq's photos as well - wow, this must be the best recorded cruise in history :)

Haha, that's awesome! :) I probably won't bother with a review since Kathy is doing such a phenomenal job here!