Sanctuary in Alaska - Too Cold??

mkerner

We are sailing in Mid August on the Golden Princess and were wondering if the Sanctuary will be too cold to enjoy? Also, if it drizzles/rains, does the overhead coveing offer any real protection? Thanks.

On Alaska cruises, I never see anyone in the sanctuary. So, most sanctuary users don't use it, in Alaska. They must think it is too cold. I don't use the sanctuary, anyway, but I don't see anyone there.

There might be warm, sunny days, in port, when the sanctuary would be nice. Keep an eye, and a feeling, out for the weather, and go for it!

We are sailing in Mid August on the Golden Princess and were wondering if the Sanctuary will be too cold to enjoy? Also, if it drizzles/rains, does the overhead coveing offer any real protection? Thanks.

There is really no way anyone can predict what the temperature will be in Alaska in 8 months. I suggest you try looking it up on a site like weather.com a day or so before you leave.

Define too cold". Right now, in Anchorage, it is -4 F. An open deck in August seems quite inviting right now.:D

However, for people from the lower 48, as we say, the temps in August will be in the mid 60's during the day. Unless you are in a sunny spot, it will definitely feel cool -if not cold-to you.

I probably wouldn't book for the entire cruise. I definately would consider a single day booking on the college fjord and glacier bay days, etc. I think they serve hot drinks as appropriate and you know the rail won't be crowded.

On Island in July, nobody used the Sanctuary. Not much in the way of shelter or more importantly, wind blocks. See what it's like on your cruise and if it's a particularly nice day, maybe buy a day pass.

Cheers,

Kirsten

We were on the Golden in July of 2011, beautiful ship and the refit that they did in 2009 really made a huge difference.

Anyway, my wife and I visited the Sanctuary on embarkation day where they kind of let you wander around aimlessly without being too insistent on having you pay to be there. Although the Sanctuary space is very nice, it certainly seems more appropriate for a warm weather cruise climate.

Our experience with Alaska weather in July was quite positive. We had one nasty day, and that was in Juneau, and after that we got lucky and had sunshine and "warm" days for the rest of the cruise. I think the warmest it got was close to 70 and that was in Ketchikan. Skagway was in the high 60s during the middle of the day. To be honest the weather is most of the ports you will visit will be pretty cool compared to summer in the lower 48. That gets us back to the Sanctuary. I don't think we ever saw more than a few people using it, and considering that the daytime temps didn't get much above 70, it isn't a place that I would consider hanging out at with those temperatures. Also, the Sanctuary is fully shaded, so if it is 70 out in full sun on the deck and you can walk around in shorts and a t-shirt and be very comfortable, but the Sanctuary was downright cold at the same temperature because of the lack of solar heat.

The best place to view Glacier Bay, aside from your own balcony (please tell me you booked a balcony room because Alaska is the right place to book those accommodations) is Skywalkers. The bar is staffed and there is food for sale :eek: (I never really understood that but...) and the views from all the way up there are spectacular, nearly 360 degrees, minus the ship's stack. If you have a balcony I highly recommend calling room service on Glacier Bay morning for food and a pot of coffee and hanging out there until they turn the ship away from the glacier face. After they turn from the glacier then go explore the ship a bit and visit Skywalkers. The ship is a ghost town when in Glacier bay, it is quite amusing.

Princess does have special stuff going on in the Sanctuary on Glacier Bay day. I believe that they have heated throws to wrap yourself in and hot cookies and beverages, but we took advantage of our balcony and the special balcony breakfast that they offer only on Glacier Bay day.

This was probably TMI, but just writing about it brings back great memories of a wonderful cruise.

Alaska is beautiful even in the rain and cold. Take an umbrella. If you have a covered or semi-covered balcony you are all set. I would not plan on using the sanctuary. It will probably be too cool. Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Golden in July of 2011, beautiful ship and the refit that they did in 2009 really made a huge difference.

Anyway, my wife and I visited the Sanctuary on embarkation day where they kind of let you wander around aimlessly without being too insistent on having you pay to be there. Although the Sanctuary space is very nice, it certainly seems more appropriate for a warm weather cruise climate.

Our experience with Alaska weather in July was quite positive. We had one nasty day, and that was in Juneau, and after that we got lucky and had sunshine and "warm" days for the rest of the cruise. I think the warmest it got was close to 70 and that was in Ketchikan. Skagway was in the high 60s during the middle of the day. To be honest the weather is most of the ports you will visit will be pretty cool compared to summer in the lower 48. That gets us back to the Sanctuary. I don't think we ever saw more than a few people using it, and considering that the daytime temps didn't get much above 70, it isn't a place that I would consider hanging out at with those temperatures. Also, the Sanctuary is fully shaded, so if it is 70 out in full sun on the deck and you can walk around in shorts and a t-shirt and be very comfortable, but the Sanctuary was downright cold at the same temperature because of the lack of solar heat.

The best place to view Glacier Bay, aside from your own balcony (please tell me you booked a balcony room because Alaska is the right place to book those accommodations) is Skywalkers. The bar is staffed and there is food for sale :eek: (I never really understood that but...) and the views from all the way up there are spectacular, nearly 360 degrees, minus the ship's stack. If you have a balcony I highly recommend calling room service on Glacier Bay morning for food and a pot of coffee and hanging out there until they turn the ship away from the glacier face. After they turn from the glacier then go explore the ship a bit and visit Skywalkers. The ship is a ghost town when in Glacier bay, it is quite amusing.

Princess does have special stuff going on in the Sanctuary on Glacier Bay day. I believe that they have heated throws to wrap yourself in and hot cookies and beverages, but we took advantage of our balcony and the special balcony breakfast that they offer only on Glacier Bay day.

This was probably TMI, but just writing about it brings back great memories of a wonderful cruise.

I don't think that's TMI and appreciate you elaborating. I know they do special things in The Sanc. during glacier cruising. For the special things, it would be nice to do especially if you don't have a balcony.

We booked up for the week on the Coral in Alaska in August and even though it drizzled for 5 days we would still go up there to escape. There were the two of us, under cover, with two very nice crew members getting us blankets, drinks, eats and keeping interlopers out. It was quiet and we had great glacier views. Naps were easy to come by.

For the last two days we had 70 plus temperatures and a few day visitors joined us. It really paid for itself on those days.

It's just another thing that Princess does well-providing a peaceful place to relax.

The Sanctuary is at the stern on the Coral.

Norris

Archived