NCL: New Youth Program

sparkey2030

Curious....what are the breakdowns of ages for the kid's clubs now?

The present breakdown for the Kid's Club is:

Kid's Crew (2 - 12)

Juniors (Ages 2 - 5)

First Mates ( Ages 6 - 9)

Navigators (Ages 10 - 12)

Teen's Crew ( Ages 13 - 17)

The new plan has not been implimented yet.

So I am curious as to what they mean by Nursery? Kids Club sounds way more fun to me. I was considering the Gem for a cruise in April because my daughter will be 2 years old by then, but now I am wondering if I should just go with the Jewel to be safe.

Does anyone know how strict they are about verifying the child's age? Our daughter will be 22 months during the cruise and I'm wondering if there is any chance we might be able to place her in the 2-year-olds group. Does anyone know if they are flexible on age?

Does anyone know how strict they are about verifying the child's age? Our daughter will be 22 months during the cruise and I'm wondering if there is any chance we might be able to place her in the 2-year-olds group. Does anyone know if they are flexible on age?

They check very closely. Sorry, but she won't be able to go.

They are very strict on ages and it has to do with their liability insurance I was told. They have a list of all kids and birthdates the first day of sailing so the liklihood of getting her into the two-year-old group is slim to none but its always worth a try.

They check very closely. Sorry, but she won't be able to go.

This will be the first time we've cruised with her so I really have no idea how the kids programs work. Thanks for confirming it for me.

Depending on the ship and sailing date (if you sail after the implementation of the new program), you may benefit from the new age breakdowns, as it appears from the original press release from NCL that they may have more things for the under 2 group

This looks interesting. I recently cruised on Dawn with my two grandchildren age 7 and 10 months. They had the zoo club for the under twos which consisted of a room the size of a cabin with some toys. Nothing else was offered which was a little disappointing. However, the seven year old had a brilliant time. We couldn't get her out of 'kids club' and whenever we went to get her we would hear the same whine 'Do I have to'! It was the same for all the kids, none of them wanted to leave!

I do hope that they offer more activities, facilities, services etc for the under twos though!

Does anyone know if Nickelodeon is on the Gem June 23-30 2012? We are taking our first cruise with our teenage sons(15,17) and avoided booking a Disney cruise because they have outgrown the characters. Is the Nickelodeon theme something that is contained just in the kids club area or is it seen all around the ship? Thanks for your help.

I am so thrilled they have broken the teen group into the 13-14 and 15-17 age groups. My DD14 is looking forward to our Gem cruise, but I was uncertain with the 13-17 age range. I'm thrilled they will have more structured activities for the older groups. Bravo, NCL!:)

We were on the Pearl the first week of January and our son (8) loved the program in the kids club. All the kids on that cruise were really happy to go and never wanted to come out. I can't imagine how they are going to make it better but I love what I am reading. I really like the new rules for education for the counselors as well.

Way to go NCL!

Does anyone know if Nickelodeon is on the Gem June 23-30 2012? We are taking our first cruise with our teenage sons(15,17) and avoided booking a Disney cruise because they have outgrown the characters. Is the Nickelodeon theme something that is contained just in the kids club area or is it seen all around the ship? Thanks for your help.

I found the following on Frommers - it does look as though Nick will be on the Gem, but I seriously doubt it could be as pervasive as Disney on a Disney cruise.

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/blog.cfm/cruise-blog/ncl-extends-nickelodeon-childrens-partnership-norwegian-gem

I was wondering? I have only cruised w/o my children but our nect trip will be in Oct 2012 with my 3 teenage children. We are cruising with a rather large group of families. Will we see many children where it is not school vacation?:p

The first week of October is our fall break as we are traveling with our teen-ager.

The Gem is going to have Nickelodeon starting in February. However, unless you are actively seeking out the Nick characters, you won't even know they're there. You may see a poolside activity once or twice, but beyond that, you won't even notice. Have no fear......

Has anyone just coming back from their cruise heard anything re the new Kids Club while on board? When it will be implimented on that particular ship, the breakdowns and programs for the 2-3 year olds etc? Will it still be free to all ages also? Carol

Currently, the full Nickleodeon Program is only available on the Epic and the Jewel. These two ships have characters: SpongeBob for the older kids and Dora/Diego for the younger kids.

I haven't heard that they are expanding it to other ships, although that could certainly happen.

Currently, the full Nickleodeon Program is only available on the Epic and the Jewel. These two ships have characters: SpongeBob for the older kids and Dora/Diego for the younger kids.

I haven't heard that they are expanding it to other ships, although that could certainly happen.

Cruise with Nickelodeon aboard even more Norwegian ships

When you're looking for a family vacation, you want to have the option to participate in activities and events that everyone can enjoy together. With Nickelodeon, exclusively on Norwegian Cruise Line, there are activities for the whole family to enjoy together. And now, we're thrilled to announce that beginning February 2012 we are expanding Nickelodeon's presence to Norwegian Gem. So whether it's the Caribbean during Spring Break or the Holidays, or Alaska or Europe in the summer, your family will be able to enjoy Nickelodeon aboard Norwegian. It's the ideal vacation where parents relax, kids play and families connect.

I get that some like this change, but I am seriously annoyed by this.

We booked the Pearl in July, and picked NCL for one main reason (over other lines) - where the breaks in their kids club are.

We're travelling with 4 kids - ages 7, 9, 9, and 11 at the time of sailing. All of the other lines break their groups such that the 7 year old would be in a group by himself. NCL's groups mean the three younger ones go together and the older goes with the 10-12 group. Personality wise, this works for our group. The 7 year old would be miserable every.single.day if he goes alone, but the 11 year old will be fine going to a separate group.

Now, if this is rolled out on the Pearl for our cruise, we're back to dealing with a seriously grumpy boy for 7 days.

I get that some will like this, but for every 9 year old that doesn't want to be with the "little" ones, there is a 7 year old that is sad because he won't be with his older sibs/cousins.

Anyone have any timeline on the roll out for the other ships?

I am sailing on the GEM out of NY 2/26/12 - I picked this cruise because Nickelodoen is joining the week before - and at the time I booked by 2yr old (will be 1 month shy of her 3rd birthday) would be able to go to the Kids Club - BTW - she is potty trained --- I am nervous with this "new" kids club in which no one really seems to know where the 2 yr old will go and it is suppose to start with the GEM in Feb! I really don't want my potty trained 2yr old hanging out in a nursury with 6mo - 2yr - this is quite disappointing----anyone have any further info on this?

I am sailing on the GEM out of NY 2/26/12 - I picked this cruise because Nickelodoen is joining the week before - and at the time I booked by 2yr old (will be 1 month shy of her 3rd birthday) would be able to go to the Kids Club - BTW - she is potty trained --- I am nervous with this "new" kids club in which no one really seems to know where the 2 yr old will go and it is suppose to start with the GEM in Feb! I really don't want my potty trained 2yr old hanging out in a nursury with 6mo - 2yr - this is quite disappointing----anyone have any further info on this?

She will be put in the age group she belongs in based on her age at time of sailing, if NCL's past practice is any indicator.

As I have stated in a previous post, an almost three year old does not belong in a nursery with 6 months olds as the NCL "new" plans state will happen. If anyone coming back from your cruise has heard any additional info, please keep the rest of us informed.

:D After reading this thread, I'm thinking that no matter what NCL does it is not going to please anyone.

The arguments on here for the 2 year olds are the exact arguments I have read on here since I joined CC about the Kid's Crew.

"My 9 year old should not be or will not be happy with 6 year olds. My 5 year old should not be or will not be happy with 2 year olds."

Now not having used the services of the Kid's Crew, but in using just common sense. I'm pretty sure there is probably more than one person looking after these kids. Therefore, I think I would give these councillors the credit of having enough brains to realize that of course your 2-3 year old is not going to be very happy playing with chew toys. Are you parents seriously going to leave your precious little ones with people you don't think would have enough brain power to entertain your child at the level in which they are regardless of what the ages in the room are?

Now with the new plan, what happens to the 2 - 3 year olds? As I said in a previous post, a child a few weeks short of three should not be grouped with six month infants... The way I read the media announcement this is a real step down for the 2 - 3 year olds not to have a special drop off grouping in the actual club. They are a left out group.

I suggest that you read Royal Caribbean's kids program. It seems like it's going to be along the lines of their Royal Babies & Royal Tots programs. If that's the case, the 6mo-3yo will be divided into two groups:

Babies: 6mo-18mo

Toddlers:18mo-36mo

They will share one common area, but they'll be divided for their activities and workshops. You can read more about it here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_kids_teens_and_families

Regardless of which group they are in (babies or tots), they'll probably get charged a per hour fee. (RCI charges something like $8/hr). The one positive is that you can drop your child off at any time and for as long as you like from 8am to midnight.

We traveled on Royal Caribbean when our son was 17 months old and thought their program was PHENOMENAL and we were thrilled to have the option to drop him off for a few hours some nights.

However, I can see the drawback for those parents used to having their 2yo kids go for free, since under this program, they will now pay.

The new kids club program rollout will take time. NCL will begin in late Feb. with Gem. They expect to complete all ships by the Fall. The Gem is a Jewel class ship and it is believed that they will continue on to another Jewel class ship.

The older the ship, the later the rollout.

Don't expect the Dawn or the Star to have made the changes before summertime. The Spirit and the Sky will probably have to wait to the Fall.

Archived