NCL: New Youth Program

sparkey2030

Thursday, 05 January 2012 To better meet the needs of the growing family vacation market, Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that it is revitalizing its current youth program and will implement a new best in class program fleet wide. The re-branded program will be introduced on Norwegian Gem in mid-February and will be rolled out to all of the line’s Freestyle Cruising ships subsequently.

“More and more families are choosing a cruise for their vacation since it represents such a good value and offers so much for the entire family. In fact, close to 150,000 children sailed on our ships in 2010 and that number continues to rise,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “We’ve already taken family programming to the next level by offering Nickelodeon experiences on some ships. Now, we want to make sure that we are continuing to offer the best possible experience for families. To do this, we are investing millions of dollars in revamping our youth and family programming.”

The current program, Norwegian’s Kid’s Crew in place since 1999, will be renamed and the age groups are being redefined to better address the skills and interests of children. The new age groups will be: three to five years; six to eight years; nine to 12 years; along with two teen groups: 13 to 14 and 15 to 17 years. There will also be programming for babies and toddlers ages six months to two years.

The new fully developed and enhanced curriculum tailored to each age group is being produced in conjunction with The King’s Foundation and Camps, a United Kingdom-based organization that provides high quality sport and activity programs designed to make a positive impact on children. More focus will be placed on sporting activities, arts and crafts, theater and technology. Activities will change every 30 to 60 minutes depending on the age group and will be set within blocks of programming time in the morning, afternoon and evening.

The new curriculum will also include creative themes, such as circus day, theater/technology/sports and port of call day. The company has engaged Cirque Du Jour, a New York-based company that specializes in teaching children real circus skills such as scarf juggling, ball juggling, plate spinning, clowning and acrobatics. Circus workshops and shows will also be offered for the entire family.

In addition, the youth programs will be expanded to utilize other areas of the ships, including the sports courts, rock walls, theaters, lounges and public spaces and will feature more family events such as parades and scavenger hunts.

“We want to ensure our youth and teens are engaged in the programs we offer and that they are having fun,” said Richard Ambrose, Norwegian Cruise Line’s vice president of entertainment. “We have designed this new youth program to cater to the specific interests and skill sets of children and teens to ensure that they are having the vacation of a lifetime.”

The company is also investing in its youth staff, by increasing the ratio of staff to children and establishing new criteria for the hiring of counselors, including the requirement of a college degree in recreation or child care (or the equivalent experience).

sounds good except the "blocks of time". I hope it wont be like Carnival where its only open from 10-1 then closed than 2-5 then closed etc. It makes it harder to relax or plan spa appts when you are worried about picking them up at a certain time.

This is great news. I especially like this part: "and will feature more family events such as parades and scavenger hunts." Carnival seemed to have more family events than NCL such as family disco, scavenger hunt, etc.

Also, my 9-yr old didn't want to participate in the Kids Crew activities because the age group was 6 to 9 and he didn't want to hang out with "little" 6 year olds; these age groupings sound better.

That's great news. I really like how the 13-14 year olds will now be separate instead of lumping them with the older teens. That's what turned me son off of the kid's program. He didn't want to be around the older ones and they didn't want to be around the younger ones. Though I doubt he will be saying that he wants to participate on future cruises.

This is great news we are about to take our kids on their 3rd cruise. Our son will be a teenager by 3days when we go and not sure we want him hanging out with the older teens just yet. Even know he is already 5' 11'" tall we want him to be a kid.

So two questions:

1. I notice it says the youngest age group will be 3-5. Right now it is 2-5. Does this mean that two year olds will no longer be accepted? I know it says it will offer 'programming' for 6 months to age 2....but i'm thinking this may not be a drop-off type of thing.

2. Any idea what the roll-out schedule is for other ships? I'm traveling on the Jewel the last week of Feb with a 2 and 5yo....wondering if this will affect us?

So I guess my kids (10 and 8) will be guinea pigs when we cruise aboard the Gem at the end of February. My kids are big fans of Kids Club and usually participate a lot. Can't wait to see it!

sounds good except the "blocks of time". I hope it wont be like Carnival where its only open from 10-1 then closed than 2-5 then closed etc. It makes it harder to relax or plan spa appts when you are worried about picking them up at a certain time.

I agree. I also wish that they added more freestyle time which is when all age groups can play together. My 4 year old loves to play with her sister who is 6.

So two questions:

1. I notice it says the youngest age group will be 3-5. Right now it is 2-5. Does this mean that two year olds will no longer be accepted? I know it says it will offer 'programming' for 6 months to age 2....but i'm thinking this may not be a drop-off type of thing.

2. Any idea what the roll-out schedule is for other ships? I'm traveling on the Jewel the last week of Feb with a 2 and 5yo....wondering if this will affect us?

We will be sailing on the Star in July with our children and their families.

I too have the same concerns with a two year old. We booked our next family cruise for July of this year with the expectation that the two year old was to be in the Kids Club. Just misses the new three to five group by two months. An almost three year old child should not be put with six month olds. We were expecting a drop off camp like program for him when we booked, as his sister had last year. His sister really enjoyed the Kid's program last year and that is why we booked this year again, so that they both could enjoy the Kid's Club together. What is meant by special programming for 6 month to two years? It seems that the two to three year olds have been left out of this new camp-like program. I hope that I'm wrong especially since the fare increases for children over two, not three.

My thoughts exactly. I've cruised exclusively with NCL the last few years because my child could attend Kids Crew when I wanted him to, not when the Cruise Line decides when MY child should be able to attend. I'm worried and look forward to lots of feedback when the new program takes effect

So I guess my kids (10 and 8) will be guinea pigs when we cruise aboard the Gem at the end of February. My kids are big fans of Kids Club and usually participate a lot. Can't wait to see it!

Please, Please, if you don't mind, could you please post some of the new kids crew daily papers when you return at the end of February.

We are doing the Epic Mid February, so we won't experience the new program yet

Any word on how the schedule will roll for the rest of the ships? My daughter will be 7 when we sail (April) on the Jewel and I like this set-up - she'd be smack in the middle of the age group.

Although I won't be on the Gem, I'd love to see those dailies as well, if anyone cares to share them!

I'm going to be a fly in the ointment here.

When looking at what they are implementing, it all looks fantastic for families. I know if mine were back at that age, I would think it was the greatest. It sort of reads like a summer camp and appears to have far more fun activities for the kids. The adage, happy kids = happy parents.

Now for the fly part. This says they are now going to utilize more areas of the ship. Many times on this board have been issues with the ship being "full of kids" during holidays (their words not mine, I travel in the off season). I myself was almost plowed down by a group of (my guess about 10 yr olds) dressed in costume and appearing to be on a scavenger hunt on our last cruise.

I'm certainly not against children, nor do I think they should be hidden or not seen and not heard. I have children and 4 grandchildren. I also am not saying this change shouldn't take place or is bad.

I'm just wondering how this change will #1 be implemented without compromising what adults without children are now enjoying or how much impact it will have (finding quiet places to relax). #2 changing the demographics of the ship passengers.

My thoughts exactly. I've cruised exclusively with NCL the last few years because my child could attend Kids Crew when I wanted him to, not when the Cruise Line decides when MY child should be able to attend. I'm worried and look forward to lots of feedback when the new program takes effect

You say this like NCL is telling you how to raise your child. I think you are jumping to dramatic conclusions without more details.

I wonder if a general "kids club area" will be open normal, ongoing hours, but activities will be sheduled via blocks in different areas of the ship. That seems to make sense, would help kids to have more things to look forward to with others their age, and would maximize participation in kids activities. Without more detail, we don't know.

If nothing else, I see having the new age groups as a really positive thing!

You say this like NCL is telling you how to raise your child. I think you are jumping to dramatic conclusions without more details.

I wonder if a general "kids club area" will be open normal, ongoing hours, but activities will be sheduled via blocks in different areas of the ship. That seems to make sense, would help kids to have more things to look forward to with others their age, and would maximize participation in kids activities. Without more detail, we don't know.

If nothing else, I see having the new age groups as a really positive thing!

Anything else would make no sense ;)

I like it..

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my concern. Other cruiselines kids programs have broken up hours. Just hope NCL keeps their kids crew program along with the freestyle concept and not close it for blocks of time in the middle of the day like other lines.

I also think the new age groups are great. Hope the 2y/o group doest get forgotten. I agree with another poster. They don't belong with 6mos olds and a lot of famlies enjoy being able to leave the 2y/o for a couple hrs of playtime

I have the Gem booked for April. The main reason we didn't book RCL for the cruise, was the kids program. I have 3 mini suites booked for my family including my 2 year old grandson. RCL starts their program at 3. We wanted to bring my grandson to the program for a couple of hours, so we could enjoy a nice dinner a few nights of the cruise.

I also think that having 2 year olds with babies isn't right. There should be a toddler (preschool) group. Maybe for 2-3-4 year olds.

I am going to call NCL to see if I can find out anything. My final payment is due in a couple of days, and if there isn't a drop off program I may consider canceling.

We have taken our kids (now 10 and almost 8) on Disney, RCCL, and 2 Celebrity cruises. They had an absolutely wonderful time on all of their cruises. Here is the deal: the cruise line is going to make the kids have and over the top incredible experience. No matter what else happens on that boat, they are 100% dedicated to ensuring the kids program is off the hook for the kids. Because if the kids dont have the best time ever, then Mama aint coming back. All of the kids programs I have seen have been astonishingly good. So, I wouldnt worry about any changes to the kids crew. It sounds like they are improving and upgrading it. And since it has been essentially the same since 99, it sounds like its time for an upgrade.

It has always been our experience that when it says programming for those between the ages of six months and two years means free time play or something along those lines where the parents must attend with the child. Usually you will see notices that children must be potty trained in order to be left in the kid's program.

Archived