NCL: New Youth Program

sparkey2030

I spoke with a NCL CS rep today because we are travelling with 6 children and the new age groups affect us (B 2, B6 B7, B9, G11 and G13). We were hoping the 3 middle boys would be together but when I called she said the new age groups would be in effect on our cruise on the Gem in March. As for our 2 year old she confirmed that there is no cost but he will be in the 6 month - 2 year group.

She said to ask once on the cruise to ask to make an exception for the 9 year old boy who got moved up to the older group but she warned me they are very strict about enforcing the ages.

I will ask but have already been selling the idea to him that he will have fun with his girl cousin with the older kids.

I spoke with a NCL CS rep today because we are travelling with 6 children and the new age groups affect us (B 2, B6 B7, B9, G11 and G13). We were hoping the 3 middle boys would be together but when I called she said the new age groups would be in effect on our cruise on the Gem in March. As for our 2 year old she confirmed that there is no cost but he will be in the 6 month - 2 year group.

She said to ask once on the cruise to ask to make an exception for the 9 year old boy who got moved up to the older group but she warned me they are very strict about enforcing the ages.

I will ask but have already been selling the idea to him that he will have fun with his girl cousin with the older kids.

It's good that you were able to get more concrete answers. And nice to know that all the rumors about the 6mo - 2yr group being charged for were false.

Have a great cruise.

We just got back from a week on the Sun. There were only, at most, 10 kids in Kids Crew at once. Ages 2 to 9 and they all had a blast even though they were mixed together a lot. The staff makes sure each kid has a wonderful time and gets them included and having fun. My son is very shy and I worried about him with the older kids but he loved it and bagged to go back each night!

SO Frustrating----I leave on 2/26/12 on the GEM with a 2 year old - and I feel there is still so many conflicting answers~~ It it so too much to want to know where my 2 year old will be, and if there is NOW a cost associated?

Hello NCL - - can someone just give a consistant concrete answer???

I will let you ALL know what happens when I return!!!

and if there is NOW a cost associated?

I must have missed where someone wrote that NCL was charging for this service, the posts I read were all presumptions. The only concrete I read was the post 3 above this that said there would be no charge.

Did they say whether you would have to stay with the 2 yr old or can you leave them?

SO Frustrating----I leave on 2/26/12 on the GEM with a 2 year old - and I feel there is still so many conflicting answers~~ It it so too much to want to know where my 2 year old will be, and if there is NOW a cost associated?

Hello NCL - - can someone just give a consistant concrete answer???

I will let you ALL know what happens when I return!!!

I was on the GEM with my 3 year old and 4.5 year old grandson last week.

The groups are grouped in the 2- up to 5 year olds and then have three groupings above that which I don't remember. For the days that they are sailing its all free. Port play(when in port) costs $6 for 1 and $10 for two children. When you leave a port the free opens shortly after sailing. After 10:30pm its also charged for as above(we only used this once on a 10 day cruise)...

PS the Kids crew on the GEm was the best I ever had...by far

BTW I don't know where the person above got the information for under 2 but NCL doesn't provide any babysitting for less than 2 years old--ever. Their insurance doesn't cover. They do run the under two zoo but all that is is making a room available for babies/toddlers for the parents to supervise.

The groups are grouped in the 2- up to 5 year olds and then have three groupings above that which I don't remember. For the days that they are sailing its all free. Port play(when in port) costs $6 for 1 and $10 for two children. When you leave a port the free opens shortly after sailing. After 10:30pm its also charged for as above(we only used this once on a 10 day cruise)...

BTW I don't know where the person above got the information for under 2 but NCL doesn't provide any babysitting for less than 2 years old--ever. Their insurance doesn't cover. They do run the under two zoo but all that is is making a room available for babies/toddlers for the parents to supervise.

There is a new program for the kids crew being implemented. NCL had a news publication out on it see post #1, it's been apparently on their FB page. It's suppose to change age groups around, starting with 6 month olds. It suppose to be introduced to the Gem Feb 19th (I think), then will be in place on the Gem in March and the Jewel next in April. Then of course implemented in the rest of the fleet.

The new kids club is rolling out on the Gem on the 19th of February. It includes a new group for up to 2 year olds, which is what isn't clear yet.

Did they say whether you would have to stay with the 2 yr old or can you leave them?

The CS rep I spoke with said the 2 year olds could still be dropped off. Although they will be in the younger group, it is still a drop off program. As before a pager is given to those whose 2 year olds are not potty trained as they do not change diapers.

Do we have any idea of timeline for when the program will be rolled out on the other ships? We are sailing on the Star in November and are wondering which program will be available then. It will be interesting to hear feedback once this gets going, I think it is potentially great for families with under-2s , as prior to this the options in terms of ships with nurseries was quite limited.

We are sailing on the Jewel in Dec and our daughter will be 22 months old... our cruise consultant with NCL said that there will be new programming that includes her age group- but that he doesn't know yet what the "new programming" is. We have our fingers crossed that it will be a drop off program- even if we have to pay... we won't use it much- but even an hour a day would be great. Can't wait to here some concrete answers. Would anyone who gets back from the Gem after the new program is implemented please provide us with the details? Thanks in advance!! :)

We chose the Dawn for our xmas cruise, but cancelled when we heard of the split in the teen age groups. Our group will have kids 14 and 15 yo, and didn't want them to have to be in separate groups. So, we will have to wait a year or cruise HAL.

Yesterday, I got a call from NCL trying to get me to rebook. The rep said that they didn't know when the Dawn would be changed, and it may not happen before Christmas. I didn't want to take the chance, and honestly didn't feel like the rep had any clue about the timing at all.

In the end, the new age groupings may be a good thing for NCL, but I think they should be more open and honest about what is available and when so people can make informed decisions.

Anyone back yet? We can't wait to hear first hand what's going on with the kids club! :)

I believe that the new kids club was starting with the Gem sailing that left on the 19th. Hopefully we will hear something when they get back this Sunday.

I believe that the new kids club was starting with the Gem sailing that left on the 19th. Hopefully we will hear something when they get back this Sunday.

Thanks for the info: For some reason, I was thinking it was Saturday to Saturday. :) Maybe we will hear today :)

Another week has passed. Has anyone come back from the Gem with any info regarding the new grouping of 2 -3 year olds?

Have you seen this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581703&page=2

Someone posted the daily activity schedule for the 2-5 and 10-12 age group. Doesn't appear that as of that cruise date that the "new" age divisions have been instituted, but there were different activities and it looks like no longer a charge for port play, just the lunch and or dinner if kids left for that time period. At least that is what was deduced from reading them

I just returned from the GEM (2/26 - 3/4) - and it was still a 2-5 yr program - nothing for under 2 (except for the parent supervised under 2 zoo) --- I traveled with a 2, 6 & 8 year old. Not sure about fee for in port as they didn't go then. In fact the 6 & 8 only went once for a couple hours on a sea day, and my 2 yr old went 2X both for a couple hours on sea days. They did a really nice Circus show with the kids on Saturday - my 2 yr old was a tiger (they did a great job face painting).

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to NCL today and I was told that the Gem's new program is fully implemented and that all ships will be fully implemented at their individual launch dates. This leaves the almost threes with major changes as they can not be droppd off in the new program and must have parential supervision and be with the six month babies. All this info conflicts with what some other posters have been told. We need some straight answers here!!!!!

sounds good except the "blocks of time". I hope it wont be like Carnival where its only open from 10-1 then closed than 2-5 then closed etc. It makes it harder to relax or plan spa appts when you are worried about picking them up at a certain time.

I agree fully! Just came back from a Carnival Cruise and this was one of our complaints.

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that NCL is changing their children's program. I booked my cruise for end of October with the anticipation of placing my grand daughter who will be 2 (2 months shy of 3 then) in their children's program to interact with other children while we enjoy some adult time. We are sailing on the Sun and apparently the new program rolls out on July 26 for this ship. We booked a year ahead and have booked all our flights, hotels etc., already.

Can anyone shed some light on what NCL is planning for 2 year olds????? I read on the Q & A that 6 mos - 2 is guppies and they must have parental supervision. I also read under Q & A under the diapers question that 2 year olds are still allowed in the program at this time. What I would like to know is when exactly are they going to be firm about the 2 year olds????

Would love to hear back from anyone who has cruised after their ship has implemented the new children's program., or anyone who has had any contact with NCL and was told anything concrete with regards to the new children's program.

Hope to hear from someone/anyone.

Tammy aka, travelingraysgirl

Archived