Alaska with Children in September

manydogs

We are trying to plan a family vacation to Alaska this September and need some help. We're looking at either a Princess cruise (Golden or Diamond) or Holland America (Westerdam). On other cruises with the kids (NCL, Carnival), the kids had a fabulous time in the kids clubs; however, we're in a quandary about this one. The children are ages 5 - 9 and are well behaved (other cruisers comments, not necessarily mine ... ) and they love interacting with everyone (other kids, staff, passengers, etc.). We're not sure which ship would be best at this time of the year since most kids are in school and also which ship has the best room layout (balcony quad cabins). Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input EmJake. Surprisingly, we're "out of luck" when it comes to booking on most of the other cruise lines (I guess because of the number/type of cabins we're looking for). Princess and HAL are the only two options at this time and we're trying to decide between the two. My husband and I have cruised Alaska before; however, this is the family's first time and we're trying to give them the highlights. Both lines have somewhat the same itineraries except that Princess goes to Skagway and Tracy Arm (love Skagway, could care less about Tracy) but HAL goes to Sitka and Glacier (like Sitka but, compared to Skagway, I like Skagway better ... and it's a "no contest" between Glacier and Tracy). The rooms and kids' programs are kind of the tie-breakers so we're seeking inputs on those two. And, yes, we're prepared for the "senior crowd" but, with the number of people we'll have, that shouldn't be a problem.

The best arrangement for four in a cabin would be a mini-suite on Princess. Third person would sleep on a fold-out couch, and fourth in a bunk above the couch. Separated sitting room where couch and bunk are, larger balcony than regular verandah. On Princess, a regular balcony cabin would have two upper bunks, and as they are directly above the twin/king, the beds must be separated to allow space for the ladder access. The largest balconies are on Caribe deck, double the size of regular balconies on other decks. Even larger than the mini-suite balconies.

On HAL, the third person would sleep in a pull-out couch, the fourth in a bunk above the heads of the twin/king. Balcony would be crowded, not room for four. EM

Welcome to CC,

Almost all the major lines have good programs during traditional vacation time. Once school is in sesson the number of kids drop but there are always some kids, much fewere.

As to cabin, everthing comes down to how you have to travel. Some got ot have balcony, some can't stand being cramp, etc. etc. We've never had problem with two cabins, even one cheepo cabin for four when they were young. This past Alaska cruise we booked an outside balcony for us, and on directly across an inside. We split booked then on board swapped and had our kids sleep in the inside cabin, this worked out and was cheaper than the mini-suite.

FWIW we love Princess and between HAL/Princes they have far better choice in sailing and scenic cruising ( glacier bay ;) )

Thanks so much to all, especially for the detailed overview of each room. We looked at the mini suites but were told there weren't enough available for our party; however, things change on a daily basis so we will try again. (Am now thinking about the Caribe deck to give the kids a little more "outside" room.) Your idea about outside/inside cabins is very good ChipMaster and, if the kids weren't so young, we might consider that ... something for future cruises.

Hi - I probably should have been a little more specific. The family consists of ten adults plus six little ones and we will require two doubles and three quads. We're trying to keep costs down and yet make this a memorable experience since one never knows what will happen tomorrow ... The extra amount for the balconies will be "Mom and Dad's" treat and everyone is excited about them. We'll adapt no matter what we get; however, not having seen photos of the quads on either ship, I was curious as to what configuration might be best. You have all been great with your reviews and recommendations and I truly appreciate all the help.

Just food for thought - HAL offers third and fourth passengers free or for very low price (plus taxes) for triple and quad cabins on some sailings. You could save a bundle if you did a couple of inside quads w/balconies directly across the hall. Seems like you have your heart set on Princess though, just thought I'd throw it out there.

It's interesting that you mention the pricing. For the week we're asking, Princess is still asking $699 for 3rd and 4th while HAL is offering $199. However, the double cabins on HAL are considerably more expensive than Princess ($1K/cabin). Go figure. DH wants HAL, and I'm on the fence. I'm looking out for the grandkids (kids programs, accommodations) while he wants the more upscale ship. Aren't families fun? Thanks again to all and I'll be sure to post the results of our trip.

We love Princess and usually choose them first, but our best family cruise has been on HAL. We found a last minute Canada New England deal where our 2 kids sailed free (just paid taxes) so we went for it. We were so worried about the kids having a good time before leaving, but they loved ClubHAL. They never wanted to leave. in fact, they wanted to leave excursions early, so they could go back. There were 60 kids on our cruise, and 15 were in my kids group.

For that trip we were on the Maasdam in an inside room and we loved it. There was plenty of space for the 4 of us and since it was a colder weather itinerary we didn't miss our usual mini-suite one bit!!

We were also worried about the age of the other passengers and their response to our children, but we had no issues. Our kids were 5 and 6 at the time and most folks loved to chat with them!

I wanted to also say Glacier Bay is definitely better than Tracy, so i'd go HAL just for the itinerary. That's how we ended up on NCL this summer. We wanted Skagway and Glacier bay! Good luck with your decision.

Glacier and Skagway were my choices; however, the ships' itineraries have changed. HAL now does Glacier and Sitka whereas Princess does Tracy and Skagway. I'm now hearing from the family that they prefer Skagway and its varied excursions (White Pass at the top of the list). Thanks for your insight and the encouragement that, no matter which line we choose, it will be fine.

Archived